Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #76
CODArider
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I have been keeping up with your post and am sad to hear that you will be making the trek back home - completely understandable. I wish that I had the ability to take time off work and make the ride with you as it is something I would love to do. You have the uncanny ability to find the coolest places to see and things to do. I always enjoyed that growing up. We will catch up on VP when you get back home. Have a safe ride back! xoxoxo
CODArider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #77
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,856
Elmer, sad to hear about you cancelling your trip but I think you've done the sensible thing. If you're not comfortable, dont' do it. Sometimes it's good to go outside your comfort zone and sometimes it's just down right dangerous.

Take care.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:26 AM   #78
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 638
Ohhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnnn

Buy a puppy!
IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #79
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,250
Damn.

I can understand a bit of the loneliness / doubt / etc. that you were experiencing. I'm by no means a social person, and expected the solo TAT to be a gratifying, soul-searching experience that I could handle with ease. Rather, there were times (probably for several days in a row) that I just felt this sinking depression and loneliness. If I had coupled that with a real physical ailment making it painful to ride over bumps, I'd probably be in your situation too. Sorry it ended this way.

Here's to a better experience next time.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #80
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,940
Lots of us like to be alone, but nobody wants to be lonely. The line between the 2 varies day by day.

I have said for years that i could be a hermit for 1 week out of every month. But i never have. I spent 4 day alone on my Goldwing last summer and loved it. Longest I've ever been alone in my life. But out of site of people is different from the highway.
Those of us old enough to remember when It was a big deal to ride all day off road and not have something break are very wary of getting into a situation that you can't get out of. Fear can bring on its own kind of loneliness. And this fear needs to be listened to. Get off trail 100 yards and break a bone between Battle Mountain and Denio and your body may never be found. And then there is the guilt of leaving family home while you go have fun. That also has its own kind of loneliness.

I am always jealous of people who ride the TAT alone. I have some of the best riding buddies a guy could ask for, but I would love to do the TAT (again) by myself someday. But probably never will.

Besides the fear of injuries/breakdowns ( I've had plenty of both) there is the fact that when you stop and say "WOW, LOOK AT THAT" it is better if someone is there to share it with.

rufus screwed with this post 07-05-2011 at 05:18 PM
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #81
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Well said, Rufus.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #82
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Well said, Rufus.
VERY well said
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #83
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 638
"Besides the fear of injuries/breakdowns ( I've had plenty of both) there is the fact that when you stop and say "WOW,
LOOK AT THAT" it is better if someone is there to share it with."

Very valid concerns. I most likely will ride the TAT as I have most of my rides - alone. Nice being retired and free; but you can seldom find anyone else free!

So what to do:

SAT PHONE and a hand gun with a 4 in it .... well except Canada; up there have to carry a big stick!
IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #84
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHJPHOTO View Post
and a hand gun with a 4 in it .... well except Canada; up there have to carry a big stick!
i like THIS one, the best
the Smith & Wesson .460XVR.... "BEAR GUN KIT"

Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #85
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHJPHOTO View Post
"Besides the fear of injuries/breakdowns ( I've had plenty of both) there is the fact that when you stop and say "WOW,
LOOK AT THAT" it is better if someone is there to share it with."

Very valid concerns. I most likely will ride the TAT as I have most of my rides - alone. Nice being retired and free; but you can seldom find anyone else free!

So what to do:

SAT PHONE and a hand gun with a 4 in it .... well except Canada; up there have to carry a big stick!
Eh, don't want to make this a gun or of idle chatter platform! Don't want to steal the Thunder of those giving a real Ride Report or even clutter it!.

Tomorrow is judgement day....."Go-No-GO" after Doc's verdict regarding my hidden injury.

As for guns...well, US Americans are so enamored with "guns", however, I do like them as a marvel of engineering and technology but "gunning" myself up for such trips I hasten to disagree. Furthermore NO one is allowed to carry guns across State lines without a permit the same as for fishing licenses! So why bother with the hassle.

Buying a pistol to defend against bears is a bad idea. Know bear behavior if you are in bear country and avoid confrontation. Get some bear spray. Unless you practice constantly with a firearm, you’ll be unlikely hit a charging bear. Ever seen a video of a sow charging a threat to her cubs? They "can" cover 30 yards faster than you can get out an aimed pistol – Spray is easier to deploy and use. Don't forget you'll scare the BeJesus out of you-...might either drop gun or spray.

And me not having good ..sleeping in a tent...uh.....Man or animal ?? Spray might do?? .

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-05-2011 at 06:10 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #86
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Tomorrow is judgement day....."Go-No-GO" after Doc's verdict regarding my hidden injury.
are you still considering going "out there" again?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #87
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 990
Well:
I admire you for even starting this trip.

Go or no go. either way I am all ears.

PS be good to yourself eitherway!!
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #88
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
are you still considering going "out there" again?
I might, depending on ......! Got nothing better to do this summer. Would love to scratch off the TAT from my bucket list of "Rides To Do" before retiring my boots. Not getting any younger!
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #89
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Go for it. Take as much time as it takes at your own comfortable pace. If time is what you have, use it to your advantage.

Not that you need our advice or anything...
Old 07-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #90
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
A huge THANK YOU to all ADV inmates who provided me with the inspiration to do the TAT: Dr.Rock, Bigdog/Gaspipe; Questor/MotoAdventuregal; Ghilly, XC Rider, Mr. Cob, RDS, Notar and Vinnie the Snake, …plus so many others to whom I am no less thankful for…. that wrote about their experiences and suggestions on the trail. Not only were they most entertaining but provided a huge amount of information for planning the trip. You can see why I am rearing to go? I got TAT’erized. Their TAT stories are often the motivation to get an oldie off his arse and onto some trails and it’s the TAT trail I chose.
Elmer,

I'm so honored that I was part of the inspiration that got you to decide to do the TAT. A bit saddened to hear that it came to an end so early on, but I fully support your decision. As I just encountered a couple days back on my current trip, no one can or should dictate your trip; you know yourself better than anyone else.

On a related note, I see that you posted that you might still be up for going later in the summer. If that's the case and your current ailment gets properly addressed, and you're ready to go out again, my father and I will be running the TAT together later this summer. More than likely leaving mid August or so. Just throwing that out there; could be fun!

In any case, heal up, feel better, and like someone already said you live to ride another day!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote