Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 03:07 AM   #91
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
I might, depending on ......! Got nothing better to do this summer. Would love to scratch off the TAT from my bucket list of "Rides To Do" before retiring my boots. Not getting any younger!
if you made another attempt, would SHARON go with you?
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 AM   #92
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
It’s the “solo” thing that is affecting me personally.
I know just how you feel - when you're missing your 'other half' it makes it just not worth bothering with.

Giving the trip away under those conditions is the best thing... go home and give her a hug.

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:07 AM   #93
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
if you made another attempt, would SHARON go with you?
First...I want to thank everyone for their support. ADVRider is such a wonderful community!! It means alot to me (and to Elmer) that he has your support and knowing he's got a lot of people looking out for him (giving him tips, etc.) Not too crazy about him going solo but I'd never discourage him from accomplishing his desires.
Clearwater--Nope, no such luck!! TAT is not my thing....a bit too rough for this old lady to take....4,000 miles , nah!! Now, I would consider doing the CDT.

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:43 AM   #94
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by VespaMamma View Post
First...I want to thank everyone for their support. ADVRider is such a wonderful community!! It means alot to me (and to Elmer) that he has your support and knowing he's got a lot of people looking out for him (giving him tips, etc.) Not too crazy about him going solo but I'd never discourage him from accomplishing his desires.
Clearwater--Nope, no such luck!! TAT is not my thing....a bit too rough for this old lady to take....4,000 miles , nah!! Now, I would consider doing the CDT.
sharon,
thanks for taking the time to post on this thread
i really appreciate that
i promise to come up and visit soon....
the threat of THAT will probably FORCE the 2 of you to travel some place FAR away ALMOST IMMEDIATELY
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #95
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
The TAT at Rellico, Plains....

TAT GPS Maps along the ride
To make the postings here on ADV ride report forum more photogenic and informative for Sam, I will be showing some birds-eye view of route(s)/tracks) BUT without giving away much detail. It is to show you what the route looks like across the country in hope you take up the challenge to do the TAT yourself after purchasing Sam’s maps/roll charts.
The map postings are routes that I created using Garmin Mapsource or BaseCamp which are for visual imaging effect of tracks or routes and are from a 30 mile map scale above with no mileage markers and none of Sam's directional roll chart notes for the TAT, however, there might be some waypoint icons that I laid down and collected along the TAT sections -- Gas, food, lodging, campgrounds, possible alternatives, etc. but again all from 30 mile map scale. These waypoints icons will be visually helpful, but will not open for information on ways to route/track/ride the TAT there. Not even close. I am keen in protecting Sam’s hard work that he’s done over the years. He has since updated all maps and roll charts. I again hope this will give you encouragement to do the ride……. so get his maps and roll charts which have real detailed information to complement your own La Vida Loca adventure!

See the upper old TAT route(Jellico, TN where further south is the new TAT route our of Tellico Plains, TN.

DownTown Tellico

Great info from this Moto Adventure store about the TAT. He rde it a few days ago,...trees have been cleared he says.

Great small Town, friendly folks..right near the Dragon( Deals Gap) which I slew like the mythological Sigfried. For those who don't know this Dragon stuff..here it is: http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Here I am running up the Dragon's tail...

After lingering a bit in Tellico Plains....I(we) headed to the start of the new TAT trailhead just of TN route 68. note: about the I(we)..will come later!

Here's the TAT (Witt Road) ..Forest Road Service 341

Here's the Witt Road..I think one of the finest road found by Sam after having had complaints that TN is mostly paved(more on that later).

You know..you come off the asphalt after having ridden from Wilmington, NC to Louisville, KY then heading down to the TAT. You're so asphaltized that you can't believe being slapped in the face with FIVE (5) water crossings within 5 miles being on the TAT..come on..gimme a break..but wooo..weee.

First one I guess...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 12:10 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #96
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
Welcome back babe.....don't let the tug of "home" pull you back too hard. Ride on and know that I'm with you, in spirit!!

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #97
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Witt Road bites....

Le Snorkel..gone divin'...

Lookiing at another one...never measured the depth.... It's a pee wee

That's another on that got rutted shale underneath. Plow through a la BMW ??

About 2'...eeeek..close to the intake but gone snorkelin'...

Obstacle #1, had to drag, pull it sideways in order to pass through. Forgot to bring my saw

Down the stretch of the TAT..

Lots of debries from last nights storm...average speed on this road for me was about 20-30 mph..

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 03:37 PM
Old 07-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #98
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

The rest of Tennessee...

Still along the Adventurous Witt Road...5 river crossings..dodging fallen frees, shrubs..and now this. Barely made it through by inches..bumped my head though!

Another obtacle...

So far been lucky with the water crossings, tree dodging, rought terrain riding. Then after the great Witt road comes TN "paved" section...

True to it's name...TN is in my opinion has been 98% paved, I mean the TAT. Sam made a valiant effort to find "dirt" and has found Witt road which is awesome, but it seems that's "it"!
Not trying to be an a**, but I think my Harley friends can do the rest of the tarmac TAT, except Witt.

The Pavement Starts

I always ride ATGATT but this time I had to shed my riding jacket and donned a half helmet..the heat was simply unbearable..

Cemetery in the middle of nowhere..

Old 07-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #99
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Riding partner...??!!

I am sure some of you wonder how some of the pictures of me going throught the waters came about?

I happen to have the fortune that someone contactd me via pm last year, proclaiming that he also is deaf and wishes to make contact with another Adventure rider.

So here he is:

Let me introduce to you Ken, a 37 years old KLR rider who has just found the bug of riding adventurously. Although he has several Iron Butt accomplishments to his credit. He very well knows long distance, camping on the cheap and pressing on. He's been there and done that but on the tarmac with his old HD. He hails from 7 Springs. NC and is a product of theEastern NC School for the Deaf.

Ken's dream is to ride to Florida..>> Alaska>>Ushuaia in 2013-14, thus the interest in doing the TAT with me. Trying to learn the ropes from a dirt pro . We've ridden together from Tellico Plains to here in Ounce, Tn. He's my camera man and I am his. We of course communicate in sign language.

Ken's intention it to ride with me as much as possible until he feels comfortable enough to go on his own..so that he can learn what it is like going solo.

I told him that the TAT is a perfect prelude for the FL/AK- South American trip. The TAT; from the hot humidity of the East > the dry barren dust bowl of Oklahoma > to the higher elevation of the Rockies..> back down to the inferno of Moab and the high deserts of Nevada, then finally the rainy the cold enchanted forests of Oregon and the Pacific. He's a great rider, taken things with ablomp..has no complaints, is a fast learner! Can sleep anywhere.

When ridng the first stretches of the TAT we were seeking dirt...the Witt road was fabulous but he rest was for us something else. Oh, sure it was beautiful...rolling through the Mountains, neighborhoods, old Towns..farm land but on tarmac. Tennessee did a good job using citizens taxes to hardtop most if not all roads.

It was pouring bucket, Nigara Falls buckets, especially in the Mountains...nuthin' to it but we both grew tired of tarmacs..wanted to see dirty bikes. So we came to the conclusion and head via slab from somewhere around to Grueti Lager, TN. to:

From there again joined the TAT, but again tarmac...ggrrr...lost our cool and headed via slab to Ounce, Tn where we are overnighting getting redy to paint our bikes red with Mississippi dirt tomorrow.

While on the Tarmac on the way to the TAT route..stopped to take some pics of such nice local horses, dismounted, put the bike in neutral nd went ahead to photograph the horses. One of the horses Horses was looking at me in a strange way...

While not paying attention my rig from stand still rolled into the ditch unannounced

oops...:

Took a bear to haul it out of the ditch...finally made it by giving it all the power ..almost had to call the farmer to tractor pull us out. No problemo for an Ural!

NO offense to TN, great state..great resources but if you want to make time, all the more skip TN, but DO give Witt Road a chance..try it, you'll like it! (will post a video of a water crossing sometime..takes too long to upload here)

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 11:01 PM
Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #100
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Tenneesee we still love thee..

Not to diss TN, we took a sideroad trip of some historical significance and some local grub.

This is it....!!

Adios from the State of Tennessee.....

NEXT to FROM:

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 07:37 PM
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #101
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,066
Tat

Sweet, in. Starting tat aug. 14 can't wait.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #102
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Yo...

Yo Elmer, I'm in...

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #103
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Snorkeling with a GS...

Here's a video to complement all those still pictures! It's a 2' water crossing. Pretty slick bottom.....notice a sudden hesistation just before reaching shore...tire starts to spin on underwater slime.

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 07:23 AM
Old 07-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #104
pennymiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Howdy! Looks like you are having phun, keep 'em coming you hear!

Been following you religously!

Gordon
pennymiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #105
deafPOPEYE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Ditto!!!! I am here watching closely with jealousy of your bravery. Keep climbing and going!!!!!!

deafPOPEYE screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 06:58 AM
deafPOPEYE is offline   Reply With Quote