Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #361
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I only mentioned those other bikes as a point of reference for small, light twin cylinder engines that make decent power.
Guzzi's big block, and the bikes it's been installed in have never been considered "small" or "light". Not where I'm from, anyway. A Tonti Lemans weighed 485. The Loops were over 500 lbs.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #362
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Guzzi's big block, and the bikes it's been installed in have never been considered "small" or "light". Not where I'm from, anyway. A Tonti Lemans weighed 485. The Loops were over 500 lbs.

Yes, I understand that. That's why I said, "If Guzzi needs to build a new engine with more displacement then that's fine, although AFAIK they can't push the current small block any larger. BUT, what I was suggesting was a new small block that could be built out a little, combined with a better head."

Both the small block and the big block engines are based on very old designs. Most of the newer, small, light engines that also produce decent power are based on newer designs. My point was that I believe Guzzi could design a new engine that was somewhere in the middle. One that retained the compactness and lighter weight of the small block, and the strength and ability to accommodate larger displacement like the big block. Are the cases of the Monster 696 and 1100 all that different in size and weight?

That, combined with better heads, that they already have, could easily make a bike similar to the current V7 that made much better power. This could both squashing the main complaint of the bike, and opening the door to a whole new range of possible models while keeping their traditional engine architecture.

Of course I'm just speaking of my own dreams and wishes here...

But, even still, without that happening, I still wouldn't mind seeing an updated big block engined, tonti framed bike with modern suspension, brakes, wheels, etc. I really like the tontis because it's so adaptable to different styles for those that like custom things such as this...

Without the hassles of restoring, modifying and maintaining a 30 year old bike. A modernized Lemans using the newer engines with 8V heads would be a nice bike, IMO. Something along the lines of this:

But, yeah, I know. I'm just dreamin'...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #363
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
"Monza"? Slowest car ever made.

hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #364
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
AFAIK they can't push the current small block any larger.
Hotrodders are running them at 820cc.

Quote:
Are the cases of the Monster 696 and 1100 all that different in size and weight?
I haven't been paying attention to Ducati over the past few years, but as far as I know, all the 2v rubber band engines are based on the Pantah of the 1980s and are built on the same cases. Regardless of displacement. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
That, combined with better heads, that they already have, could easily make a bike similar to the current V7 that made much better power. This could both squashing the main complaint of the bike, and opening the door to a whole new range of possible models while keeping their traditional engine architecture.

Of course I'm just speaking of my own dreams and wishes here...

But, yeah, I know. I'm just dreamin'...
Guzzi has "Aero Heads" that were shown on the Ippgrifo show bike years ago, and were used on military drones for the USA. They also had 4v heads on the smallblock in the past. Not to mention, they could downsize the 4v design of the current big block and apply that to the small block.

I'm sure it boils down to money. They facelifted the V7's heads for '13 and gave it a new efi system. Piaggio is living in a cave if they haven't seen the horsepower complaints from all quarters. Surely they are working on something for what has become a best-selling line for Guzzi.

Cafe'd big block Tontis are cool. Love 'em. However, they weigh a hundred more pounds than the small blocks, so my wish is for a hotrod small block, though a retro Bellagio-based bike would be cool.

For those that don't know what a Bellagio is, it's an earlier Tonti frame with the CARC single-sided swingarm of the other current bikes grafted on. Engine is 940cc, having an 850 crank and 1200 top end, making it very over-square and enjoyable for those who like rev-happy v-twins.

This custom has V7 Classic bodywork and a Griso exhaust applied to a Bellagio.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 08-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #365
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,278
^^ Stunning scooter there...
Old 08-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #366
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
Transmission failure today V7

Rear wheel locked up completely at about 45mph on surface streets today. Skidded it a good 150 feet. 7000 miles on the bike, major service last week. NOT real happy right now. Looks like transmission failure. Also flat spotted a brand new tire.

Two main reasons for me to own this bike - commuter (shaft drive, low hp, good economy) and as a good learner bike for my wife. My wife would not likely have stayed upright if this had happened to her. Unacceptable.

My dealer has the bike - two weeks minimum before they can look at it, and my tech is leaving next week, new tech not hired yet - and I've sent a polite but upset email to Moto Guzzi USA. Will let ya'll know how it unfolds.

Cheers,

Cade
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #367
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
Rear wheel locked up completely at about 45mph on surface streets today. Skidded it a good 150 feet. 7000 miles on the bike, major service last week. NOT real happy right now. Looks like transmission failure. Also flat spotted a brand new tire.

Two main reasons for me to own this bike - commuter (shaft drive, low hp, good economy) and as a good learner bike for my wife. My wife would not likely have stayed upright if this had happened to her. Unacceptable.

My dealer has the bike - two weeks minimum before they can look at it, and my tech is leaving next week, new tech not hired yet - and I've sent a polite but upset email to Moto Guzzi USA. Will let ya'll know how it unfolds.

Cheers,

Cade
Two week wait just to look at a bike under warranty??? Geesh!

Recent major service? Did you check the fluids before the dealer took possession?
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #368
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Yup, that what I was told - two week wait just to look at it.

I didn't check the fluids before I dropped it off - actually, I didn't check them after I picked it up, either - fluids were marked as replaced completely, according to the service invoice.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #369
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I didn't check the fluids before I dropped it off - actually, I didn't check them after I picked it up, either - fluids were marked as replaced completely, according to the service invoice.
Yep but that doesn't mean that the tech didn't forget to refill the tranny. I've known of two cases personally where techs have neglected to replace oil in cars during a routine oil change. Total engine failure in both cases. That, along with other personal experiences, and those of others, is one of the big reasons I prefer to do my own work on my bikes. Just seen WAY to many examples of rushed, half-assed, and shoddy work done by underpaid, overworked, or careless dealer techs.

You'll never know now though because they'll write it up as something else so your warranty will cover it... if you still have a warranty. They're not gonna want to replace your tranny on their dime, that's for sure.

Of course that's jumping to conclusions. Probably just a "normal" failure of something. But, it was a thought when you said it just had a major service.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #370
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Yeah, it's under warranty. First time I've ever owned a NEW bike, and it's been about the same as my experiences with old bikes - lots of kinks to iron out. Fortunately, it's under warranty. Which is why I didn't check. I have two Ducati Elefants, my kid's KLX 110, two bicycles, a Lotus, an Alfa, and a Fiat to maintain. The idea here was to have a commuter bike that I don't have to touch other than riding and washing.

So much for that theory.

But, it's crossed my mind about the fluids too... you might be right, we'll find out soon.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #371
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, it's under warranty. First time I've ever owned a NEW bike, and it's been about the same as my experiences with old bikes - lots of kinks to iron out. Fortunately, it's under warranty. Which is why I didn't check. I have two Ducati Elefants, my kid's KLX 110, two bicycles, a Lotus, an Alfa, and a Fiat to maintain. The idea here was to have a commuter bike that I don't have to touch other than riding and washing.

So much for that theory.

But, it's crossed my mind about the fluids too... you might be right, we'll find out soon.
Roger that.

But...

Wow! You love quirky, high maintenance machines, dontcha?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #372
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Quote:
Roger that.

But...

Wow! You love quirky, high maintenance machines, dontcha?
I do. It's a sickness for which I've tried to get help. The only cure is to feed it, sadly.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #373
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:

I sure wish you'd have checked the fluid before returning it to the shop.

Quote:
Yep but that doesn't mean that the tech didn't forget to refill the tranny. I've known of two cases personally where techs have neglected to replace oil in cars during a routine oil change. Total engine failure in both cases. That, along with other personal experiences, and those of others, is one of the big reasons I prefer to do my own work on my bikes. Just seen WAY to many examples of rushed, half-assed, and shoddy work done by underpaid, overworked, or careless dealer techs.

You'll never know now though because they'll write it up as something else so your warranty will cover it... if you still have a warranty. They're not gonna want to replace your tranny on their dime, that's for sure.

Of course that's jumping to conclusions. Probably just a "normal" failure of something. But, it was a thought when you said it just had a major service.
I vote for the tech forgot to refill transmission (or bevel box).

We'll never know, now, since it went back to the shop without a check.

Guzzi transmissions don't fail.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 08-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #374
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post

Guzzi transmissions don't fail.
That's what I thought. Part of why I bought the bike.

Though I did dig up a service bulletin about the V11 in 2003 - the synchro rings were failing and locking up the transmission. Sounds just like what this felt like. Honestly, I wouldn't have been able to check this one even had I been inclined to... my roadside assist gets me one tow... I went to the shop and then got a ride to work. Not going to tow home to screw with it and have them claim it was my fault somehow.

Weird thing is, I would have expected it to at least be noisy or hard to shift if it had no fluid. It was still buttery smooth up until it wasn't.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #375
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 685
Very strange timing there. Fine for 7000 and then right after service? It can happen but.................

When I was with a Triumph dealer we had and dropped Piaggio as they were a complete nightmare to deal with.
We had Aprilia and Vespa. Best day was when they left the shop. Nice bikes with NO support, parts, and the like avail. in the US. At least that was our experience.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote