Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #91
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimike View Post
New 2012 versions.
I guess I still like the spoked rims better it give it that classic look.

If they could pull 55-60 hp out of this motor, not unreasonable considering the Vstrom 650 or Versys 650, I think I'd like to own one.

My other choice is certainly the Triumph, either Bonneville or Thruxton. The Guzzi tugs at the heart strings while the Triumph works really well. I had no complaints when I rode the Thruxton.

I wish Guzzi still made an 850 like their original, that was the perfect size in my opinion. If they made a 850 classic, I'd be whipping out my checkbook.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #92
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post

If they could pull 55-60 hp out of this motor, not unreasonable considering the Vstrom 650 or Versys 650, I think I'd like to own one.

My other choice is certainly the Triumph, either Bonneville or Thruxton. The Guzzi tugs at the heart strings while the Triumph works really well. I had no complaints when I rode the Thruxton.

I wish Guzzi still made an 850 like their original, that was the perfect size in my opinion. If they made a 850 classic, I'd be whipping out my checkbook.
I haven't seen the new power figures anywhere yet, but the old one was
48hp, and they say the new one is at least 10% more.. so that's..
[Start-->Run-->calc.exe] 52,8hp.. from the top of my head.. ?

Doesn't sound like much, but at those figures, it's something you can feel
for sure, especially if the torque went up by the same amount, and that's
something this bike wasn't lacking, I'm told.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #93
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,702
They aren't going to get much more out of an air-cooled motor while meeting current emissions regulations. My understanding is that the basic architecture of the engine dates back decades.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #94
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,083
The lack of liquid cooling would keep the power down below what it could otherwise be - besides, then it wouldn't be a Guzzi. Heretics do liquid cooling.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #95
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
They aren't going to get much more out of an air-cooled motor while meeting current emissions regulations. My understanding is that the basic architecture of the engine dates back decades.
About 3.5 decades...

We've not seen the internal view of the new 750, yet.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #96
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonac View Post
I am very curious looking at these pictures... what happens to the engine when these things fall over? Looking at the pictures I'm guessing that off the bat you'll have the spark plug boot / cable / terminal grind off, and then the valve cover.

Looking on google, I see a handful of references to an engine bar available, but is the above a fair assessment?
There are lots of things that owners do.

There are several vendors that sell crashbars/highway bars, and the bars intended for the Breva 750 and Nevada 750 will work.

There are also head guards that mount to the valve cover bolts and provide the same function as sliders do on sportsbikes.

It's really a non-issue, if the owner spends a few bucks...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 11-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #97
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

An image of the V7Rx "show bike" taken at EICMA:

Note the vintage 4LS front brake and shouldered allow rims... Old Skool...

Killer fairing and tail section, though.

I'll have mine with 320mm Brembos and cast allow wheels... Please...

Another image:

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 11-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #98
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
They aren't going to get much more out of an air-cooled motor while meeting current emissions regulations.
Ya, I figured ~60hp was pretty much max for an air cooled 750cc twin that still has to meet the regs. I think it's feasible with FI and a good fast burn 4 valve head design. Maybe then can use an "alternate" mapping to pass regs .... hint hint..... like some other companies do. The smaller manufacturers can get away with some stuff the bigger companies can't, witness what Husky and KTM do with their dual sport bikes. It's my understanding they relax the regs for small companies and Guzzi certainly fits that requirement.

If it had 55hp and solid torque I'm pretty sure most people would be pretty satisfied.

I'm not sure about going all the way back to drum brakes though. It looks like the bike at the show has a disc rear brake. I see the point in the visuals but I like the way discs look well enough to have the modern functionality.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #99
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
an image of the v7rx "show bike" taken at eicma:

nice!!!
gore-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #100
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
They aren't going to get much more out of an air-cooled motor while meeting current emissions regulations.
The Ducati 696 has a bit more power out of less cc's and is also air-cooled,
no?

I know it's a different engine inside, but it's still a V-twin with air cooling
and a LOT more power, but not the kind of power delivery anyone would
want on the V7 classic (probably).

I think the 850cc with ~70hp is a good idea.
I loved the Breva 850..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:48 AM   #101
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
V7 engine

I looked at buying a V7 Classic, a friend of mine owned an original in 1970 while I had a BSA. The Guzzi braked , didn't deposit oil, handled, and boy could it pull. I eventually bought a new LeMans III which was great except for the tickets. As you can tell I'm older (57). The reason I'm writing is regarding the Classics engine and lack of power that been mentioned on this tread. The 750 cc engine is based on the old 350/500 original design. It and the same era Moto Morini 350/500 V-Twins shared a common cylinder head design. It is of the "Heron" design. The valves are flush to the head surface. The combustion occurs in the dished out part of the piston. They said at the time it was to promote better fuel economy. Fact was it saved on machining/manufacturing cost. The head is still used today limiting any large power increases. The lack of valve angle the culprit. If Moto Guzzi redesign the head, then some up graded forks, and shocks on the bike I would buy one....
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #102
Penderic
Format C:/u

Oddometer: 74
I think another good reason for the use of the Heron heads is the smaller and lower height of the cylinder heads as compared to a double overhead cam engine.

The cost of changing the bike to accommodating a new, bigger, taller engine and recertifying everything might be just too expensive.
Penderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #103
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post

I really like this colour combination. There is no reference to it anywhere on any official Guzzi sites that I can find. The factory website ( for Canada anyway ) is pretty useless. Very little info.
I found a few aftermarket places for accessories ( centrestand, luggage rack, engine gaurds etc...), but only Hepco & Becker list bags for it. I would really like a set of aluminum panniers, preferably black, but not too wide. And i would really like a set of heated grips too. Would a set from a Norge or Stelvio fit do you think?
I guess the question for me is, can I live with it as my only bike? I don't put a ton of miles on anymore, but I do like the bike to be equipped with the things that I use all the time.There is an inheirent coolness that Guzzi's have that most other bikes can't match ( my own opinion, I'm not looking to start a discussion on it ), but lack of dealer and aftermarket support may push me into something else in the end.
I'm sure I'll come home from the bike show even more confused.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #104
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
....only Hepco & Becker list bags for it. I would really like a set of aluminum panniers, preferably black...
Hepco + Becker have two choices in aluminium panniers. Take a look at thier website. "Standard" and "Exclusiv"

Also, you can probably make Happy-Trails or Jesse panniers work with adapter hardware.

No big whoop. Well, except for the black part. You'll have to have 'em powdercoated yourself.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 11-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #105
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011/...er-and-torque/

I just really love the looks of this bikes. (big Bonneville fan as well) Yea, they don't have near the power of most new bikes, (though the Bonnie is pretty good) but for someone like me who grew up back in the '70's, they'll do just fine, and have all the power I need. I'd really like the blacked out one, but with spoked wheels!