User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
GT George OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Alpine Adventure - 8 Days, 5 Countries/MAY2011

I have enjoyed reading the adventures that many of you have posted. They are an inspiration for myself and others and they provide us with good entertainment and travel information. It is always easier to learn from those that have been down the road before. This forum is precisely where I got the idea for this two wheeled adventure that I was about to undertake. I was particularly inspired by fellow member Haroon and his report. Although my route is quite different, I gained valuable information and insight from his post. My planning was a bit rushed as I completed all preparations in little more than a week before departure. I would have enjoyed at least three months of careful planning, but that luxury was not available. My vacation time was rapidly approaching and unmovable. OK, we decided to take the plunge and make the trip. I'll be riding two up with my wife, and this will be our first trip of this length and first one in Europe on a motorcycle. We have taken some small trips, but mostly on the flatter terrain of the Atlantic coast of the USA.

The commentary and photos that follow will be of our eight day trip that begins in Munich, Germany and then travels through Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, and Italy. So bear with me as I try to keep the mistakes and misspellings a minimum as this is also my first post.

DAY 1....Our late morning flight carries us from London, where we spent a few days of our vacation, to Munich. At the Munich airport we exchanged $$ for Euros. I will tell you now that you have to be careful when exchanging currency as the service charge varies widely. After checking several kiosks and one bank, we got the best rate at the lowest service charge of about $6 vs. a $48 service charge. Euros in hand, we collect our luggage, and hail a taxi to Karl Maier's BMW located southwest of the airport in a little town named NEUFINSING. The taxi ride takes about :40 mins at a cost of 40 Euros. That's about $56.80 as one Euro = $1.42 on 02MAY11.

We meet up with Karl and his staff to pick up our motorrad rental. Karl has set aside a 2011 BMW R1200RT for us with only 311km's on the odometer. This is a beautiful bike and I am looking forward to riding it as I haven't any experience with the BMW's.
Attached Images

Alpine Adventure - 8 Days, 5 Countries / MAY 2011

GT George screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 07:09 AM Reason: wwrong date
GT George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Dillard
Seeker

Oddometer: 72
gt george,

i have a similar plan for this time next year so i'm looking forward to this RR. enjoy yourself on the bm, and do keep us informed on your adventure.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
GT George OP
Adventurer

The BMW is well equipped with seat and hand grip warmer's, audio/stereo system, ABS, electric trim windscreen and cruise control. I don't plan on using the cruise control as most of our time will be spent on the back roads and very little time on the autobahn. No GPS, but I can read a map. BTW I will be using Michelin maps #546 Southeast Germany with a scale of 1:375,000 and map #730 Austria with a scale of 1:400,000. These maps have good detail and are sufficient for cross country travel. You will need a more detailed map for navigating within the larger cities. We used our i-pad and Google maps that we downloaded whenever sightseeing in the city. I never got lost. Only temporarily disoriented! Almost all cities have a tourist office that will provide you with lots of info on the area and can assist with finding accommodations. This is especially useful if you're challenged by the local language.

After signing my life away and putting considerable stress on my credit card we are underway. Below, L to R is Karl Maier, my wife and myself.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
GT George OP
Adventurer

It's late in the afternoon and we leave Neufinsing for our first layover hotel on the west side of Munich. We decided to use A99 to A8 where we will exit for our first layover at Hotel Neuner. A99 circles the city of Munich and helps us miss the afternoon rush hour traffic. Traffic on A99 is busy but moving at a good pace. The BMW is purring with delight as we hit 140 kmh on an open stretch of road. I have found the roads in most of the EU to be well marked, well maintained, and easy to navigate.

We have chosen this hotel and it's location for a variety of reasons. First, it's conveniently located off the autobahn. Second, it's places us near our route that we will intercept for the next days travel. Third, we will be meeting three of our friends that are traveling from Stuttgart on motorcycles. A8 runs directly from Stuttgart and will allow them direct access to the hotel without having to navigate through the city of Munich. And lastly, we made reservations and have already paid for it. BTW we only made reservations for hotels on our first night and last nights stay. Other times we stopped when we got tired and looked for hotels wherever we were. This was not a problem as the tourist summer season will not start until late MAY and hotels were readily available in most areas.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Bazi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi George, hope you and your wife enjoy the trip. I, am sorry for the bad weather here in Bavaria. I am not responsible for it.

Bazi

Bazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer: 536
Wow George. Very excited to see your trip report & teaser pics. Thanks again for the appreciation. I am tuned in...

I have sent you a PM.

Exploring the world on 2-wheels...little at a time
RIDE for PASSION

www.rideforpassion.com

Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
helmik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Pretty much the same trip we are planning to do in September, me and the wife on a Vee Strom.
So i'm in.

Mick.
helmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
GT George OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazi View Post
Hi George, hope you and your wife enjoy the trip. I, am sorry for the bad weather here in Bavaria. I am not responsible for it.

Bazi
Danke Bazi!! The weather in Bavaria was very good from May 2nd to May 9th, 2011. Only one day of rain on May 3rd and the rest of the trip, we had absolutely beautiful weather. Hope the weather clears soon for you!

More of my report to come soon...as time permits.

George

Old 07-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
GT George OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Wow George. Very excited to see your trip report & teaser pics. Thanks again for the appreciation. I am tuned in...

I have sent you a PM.
Hey Haroon!

Great to see you onboard. Thanks to your post, our trip became a reality. Your PM was spot on!! A big help!!
More to come as time permits.

Many thanks,
George

Old 07-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
GT George OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmik View Post
Pretty much the same trip we are planning to do in September, me and the wife on a Vee Strom.
So i'm in.

Mick.
Great MIck! You'll love the scenery and the ride. It would be pretty hard not to enjoy your trip regardless of the route you plan to take. My trip only scratched the surface and has me yearning for more.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
GT George OP
Adventurer

We have checked in at the hotel and changed into more comfortable garb. Within about an hour of our check in, our friends arrive on their BMW’s from Stuttgart. They have rented their mounts from Stefan Knopf in Heidelberg. Our friends are brothers and have traveled to Europe for the purpose of participating in the V-E Day celebration in Pilsen (Plzen), CZ on 08MAY. Actually, it is more of a celebration of the liberation of Pilsen. After our ritual of back slapping, hand shaking, and some ribbing, we park our motorrads in the secure and enclosed garden behind the hotel.
L to R…Yours truly, Geary, Brian, and Scott.

The brothers are soon checked in and we’re off to find some food and beverage. The choices are few as we are looking for something within walking distance. The weather has been beautiful all day and this evening is no different. Anna, our gracious host at the hotel points us in the right direction to the Weichandhof restaurant. Located in the suburb of OBERMENZING, this farmhouse converted to a restaurant is a favorite among the locals. Perhaps it’s the good Bavarian dishes served here and the vine covered terrace that makes this biergarten so inviting.

We had a nice dinner and some of the beverage that Munich is famous for. This crew loves laughter and there was plenty of that. Since we live some distance from each other, it was nice to have the opportunity to get together again.
Before calling it a night, we reviewed our plans for the next day of travel.

End of day one for Kori and I. Stay tuned for more.

GT George screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 05:54 PM Reason: grammar and editorial correction
Old 07-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
UltiCOW
UltiCOW

Oddometer: 25
Looks great!
Cant wait to hear and see more :)
I too am fairly new to being active on advrider - and my first ride report will also be about embarking on pretty much the same sort of journey. Leaving on the 7th July!

If you dont mind me asking - what sort of rates were you paying for the bike? I have a friend flying in from America and thought it would be cheaper to rent in Berlin (even considering the boring journey up and down the autobahn..).

Im feeling goosebumps already!

-Ollie
UltiCOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
GT George OP
Adventurer

If you dont mind me asking - what sort of rates were you paying for the bike? I have a friend flying in from America and thought it would be cheaper to rent in Berlin (even considering the boring journey up and down the autobahn..).

Im feeling goosebumps already!

-Ollie[/QUOTE]

Hello Ollie,

The cost of rental was 835 euros for the eight days and includes 1500km's. This was a brand new 2011 BMW R1200RT and I was happy with the service I received Karl Maier BMW. Have a safe trip and I hope you will have perfect weather....George

Old 07-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #14
GT George OP
Adventurer

Day 2

Here is an overall view of our route. This route is the actual route and not the planned route as changes were made during the trip due to weather or a change in our plans.

Today we begin day two. I look out the window as soon as I get out of bed. My suspicion of hearing rain is confirmed. It is raining!! Not a hard rain, but a steady continuous rain and it is much cooler than the day before. Perhaps by the time we get dressed, have breakfast, and get the bikes loaded up, the rain will have stopped. Unfortunately that was not the case. Today we get to test our raingear, a test that we are not looking forward to. My wife is not happy about this at all and the rest of us know that this is just part of touring on two wheels. During breakfast, the weather is a major topic. We’re hoping that as we ride south to Fussen that the weather will clear up. Our plan is to go south on St2063, riding along the west side of Starnberger See and then continue to Oberammergau. From here we’ll motor on to Zugspitze, Germany’s highest mountain, and then to Fussen for the night. We get all suited up, load up our mounts, check out of the hotel, and head for the nearest petro station to top off the bikes. Gas is a lot more expensive than we are accustomed to in the U.S. at about $9.50 per gallon. We complete our servicing, get on our BMW’s, and with four thumbs up we begin our journey. It’s doesn’t take long for us to be happy about taking the secondary roads today in this weather. The autobahn could have been a hazardous undertaking when you consider the speed that the cages travel at and also the heavy truck traffic and the water spray created by their tires. Not a good day for picture taking, but we enjoy the scenery nonetheless. After about ninety minutes of travel, we spot a Mickey D’s. We stop for a hot cup of coffee, to stretch, and warm up a little. WOW, this is a nice McDonalds!! It even has a fireplace! We find a table near the fireplace and we drink our coffee and try to warm up.

The rain is not as bad now but we know our plans to visit Oberammergau and Zugspitze are nixed. The rain and low visibility in the higher elevations could be a problem especially if it turned to snow or ice. We alter our plans and decide to take a more direct route toward Fussen. We eventually get on route 17 and the weather has improved a little, but not great. This day would be better spent inside somewhere. Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany’s number one tourist destination, is our next stop. You can see in the photos below the kind of weather we were in.

The weather improved a little late in the afternoon. Touring the castle was informative and it has a very interesting history.

View of Hohenschwangau Castle from Neuschwanstein. Our mc’s are in the parking lot below.

After the castle tour, we are ready to find a place to stay for the night. We made the short trip to Fussen to look for a hotel. After checking several hotels, we decide on Motel Fussen run by the very nice Milankovic family. We were more than satisfied with our rooms as they had just been renovated and are very spacious. We checked in and later had dinner in the restaurant. The family took very good care of us with great food and service. The night was complete with complimentary lemoncello for the crew from the owner. BTW, Fussen is over 700 years old and is at the southern end of The Romantic Road that begins in Wurzburg. A route worth taking if you like castles mixed with some of Germany’s best culture. End of day two. The really good scenic photos are coming soon.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #15
Bazi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Still nice too follow you. In Germany we call Gas, liquid Gold.

Bazi is offline   Reply With Quote