User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #181
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
keeping the GL bag dry

Rescued this pic on a corrupted SD card from a long trip on the 525.

It outlines how to cross deep rivers and keep your down sleeping gear in the GL bag dry until Wachs gets the new dry bags done. Stopped at a river crossing in Lao and walk across to check the depth. Hmmm, first 3/4's were only knee and thigh deep, then it dropped into a waist deep hole. Sat there pondering it for a minute since I was traveling alone and did not want to risk drowning the 525 yet again, and pushing the 300 pound hulk out of the water and have to deal with oil changes etc. As I was sitting there by my lonesome in the forest, in the middle of nowhere I heard some voices. Holy shit, the locals popped up and helped me across the river with some branches of a tree slung through both wheels.

I gave the camera to a local and taught him to snap away as we hauled the bike across. The locals have been reading ADV and did their best to keep the GL out oof the water. They were critical that it made the bike heavier so I must learn to pack lighter for the sake of the Laotian backs at the river crossings.

The Rollies seem very well made and waterproof which is VERY nice. Looking at their fastening and mounting methodology would for me personally, do my head in. I just don't have the patience for undoing those things and its a shame because if they fixed the ease of mounting and access issues they seem an attractive package. I go into my GL a couple times per day for food (I'm a type 1 diabetic) and tools and its only a zipper pull away as I keep snacks and tools packed right below the zipper.

I would ideally like to see the GL bag itself waterproof and not have to use dry bags. However the only things I need to keep in the dry bags are clothes and sleeping gear. Both of those items I do not need until the end of the day when I'm finished riding so it's no great hassle. For me that is a lot less hassle than the Wolfman Rollie accessing and mounting methods.

Looking forward to developments from all companies regarding hauling our gear on the dirt bikes.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #182
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Easiest to haul?

I travel overseas frequently primarily to third world countries, and I got into the habit of carrying my luggage backpack style as opposed to pulling it behind me with little wheels. Not that I am a bad ass and I am trying to impress the locals, but in a lot of places in the world there are no sidewalks to roll your bags, nor porters or doormen to help with your luggage. So instead of embarrassing myself by trying to keep square bags upright on their wheels in the mud, and broken concrete sidewalks I just carry them. I spent three weeks riding in South America this past Feb. and I bought the Giant Loop Coyote bag to use as my primary bag, you can just sling it over your shoulder in one piece and carry it.

I read and saw how Rolies were completely sealed, and the GL's required seam seal and leaked. As an experienced traveler I always incased my clothes into waterproof liner bags anyways before packing them into my backpack or dufflebag for I have witnessed my bag left out in the pouring rain on a airport tarmac in Belize for 3 hours on a delayed flight while the baggage handlers were huddled underneath the wings smoking cigarettes, and my bag was swallowing gulps of water.

So the GL was selected because it can quickly be untied and hauled away without leaving anything behind. What I read and saw on the Rolies was that you would have to remove three bags and then uninstall the harness. After a hard day of riding in South America, then trying to find a safe hotel, or a hotel with a parking lot, the last thng you want to worry about is your luggage. Many rooms were on a upper floor with no elevator, so I had to take the stairs with my SIDI's boots on wearing my rain pants and rain jacket, carrying my helmet and Moose Racing BackPack.with my GL hung over my shoulder. One trip and I was done and ready for the shower and dinner. If I had to leave the Rolie harness on I would of worried all night about having someone stealing it. Because I know I would be too lazy to untie and reattach it every single day. So that is why I selected the GL over the Rolie. If GL revamped their bag and it was made 100 % waterproof, I still would have my gear and clothes in waterproof OR gear, or Sea to Summit liner because nothing is truly waterproof.

atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #183
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
another option

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

This is the Wolfman expedition bags,and cyote together,may add another coyote when I do the TAT

leftystrat62 screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 05:29 PM
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #184
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Hey, did anyone ever post pictures/reviews of the Kreiga bags on their bikes? Kreiga's website still sucks.

Thanks,

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #185
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Hey, did anyone ever post pictures/reviews of the Kreiga bags on their bikes? Kreiga's website still sucks.

Thanks,
go to Vendors .. . . . there's a long thread, with a very helpful company rep in there daily . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #186
The Letter J OP
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 693
I thought that I had already updated this thread a long time ago, but I guess not. I ended up sending the saddlebag mount back as it just would not sit as well over my rear fuel filler as I had hoped. I exchanged for a pair of E-12 saddlebags which fit my 690 much better, though they are not at all waterproof. To keep waterproof storage I also bought a renegade duffel and kept one of the medium rolie's.

I usually just run the E-12's, with the option of using the medium rolie on top for day trips in crappy conditions, or the renegade for camping, or both if I find myself needing more storage (hasn't happened yet.) Here are the E-12's alone, partially filled with my usual day trip stuff ie: tube/tire tools, tool kit, snacks:

The E-12's are perfect for longer day trips and with the renegade I can carry ALL of my camp gear while keeping the important stuff dry. I swap bags between my bikes and I'm pretty happy with my options now.

Here is the Renegade duffel and E-12's with camp gear for 3 days (on my blue GasGas) and my buddy with his Nomad Rider bag on the Husky:

The Letter J screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 09:37 AM
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote