Oddometer: 58
i got my rolie bags today, first impressions:
-very good build quality/materials
-not as big as i had imagined/hoped
-i have a M/M/L combo, and doubt it would hold as much as the GL
-bit of a pain to attach/unattach
-lots of straps to flap in the breeze
-some straps were too short for my bike, some were too long
-most importantly for me, they look quite waterproof.

BCJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #17
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
that bag setup looks way complicated. i think ill stick with my GL
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:48 AM   #18
The Letter J OP
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 852
Thanks for the pics BCJC looks good! How secure do the bags feel? Do you think that you could drag/lift your bike by the bags or hammer through the whoops without them bouncing around much? Just to give us an idea, what have you been able to pack in that setup? I just got my bike back (finally!) yesterday, so I hope to be ordering sooner than later.

edit: I just noticed that you went from "considering" to "owning" in 3 days, talk about fast order processing/shipping

The Letter J screwed with this post 08-27-2011 at 12:59 AM
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:21 AM   #19
BCJC
Adventurer

yeah, hummed and hahed till i said fuck it.

sintax- you are correct sir, and i am a believer in "less is more". however, i live in a rainforest...and having wet gear sucks.

J- no way i would lift my bike with it. it may hold, but i wouldn't bet on it. it seems sturdy enough to withstand getting jarred around. and so far i've only stuffed some clothes in it for a trial setup, i don't usually take 3 cotton hoodies and 2 pairs of jeans camping...
Old 08-27-2011, 02:29 AM   #20
hatchetdan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
tag

O.M.G.!!! He showed the world his tag number!
hatchetdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #21
BCJC
Adventurer

i live on the edge like that.

tried out the one medium as a tail bag today, did quite well. may have to tweak the rear strap as it slid back slightly, but i like my rolie bags slightly more today, as they showed some versatility.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #22
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,320
I am NOT a fan of Wolfman. I have their expedition tank bag and it soaks up MORE water than it repels. ruined my $1800 zeiss lens. NOT happy. My Coyote on the other hand stayed relatively dry
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #23
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
I am NOT a fan of Wolfman. I have their expedition tank bag and it soaks up MORE water than it repels. ruined my $1800 zeiss lens. NOT happy. My Coyote on the other hand stayed relatively dry
It says right on the site that the expedition tank bags aren't water proof - http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedition/09index.html
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #24
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
It says right on the site that the expedition tank bags aren't water proof - http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedition/09index.html
I bought it while on the road, I had no access to anything online. It wasn't in a package in the store, it was their last one. I expected it to be waterproof.. what would someone do with a non waterproof bag?
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:45 AM   #25
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
i use a coyote and love it. i've used it on different bikes. my setup is to use the 2 center loops through the front edge of a rear rack and it sits on the rear of my seat. i then have place for a rear back and something on top of those 2 in the center wedge if i want.

i looked at the rollie but like that coyote is a 1 piece one & 1 piece off deal.
at camp, i can quickly pull the whole coyote off and work with it from there.
the next morning i can even pack it in the tent and drop the whole thing on the bike and then pack the tent last and strap it on top. the rollie system is sweet but has too many straps and such for me atleast and since it's 1 continuous bag, no wasted space between the gaps of 3 bags.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #26
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
I bought it while on the road, I had no access to anything online. It wasn't in a package in the store, it was their last one. I expected it to be waterproof.. what would someone do with a non waterproof bag?
I'll admit, it is kind of confusing because it's called the expedition tank bag and all of the rest of the expedition line is waterproof. It also is made of a material that would make one think that it is indeed waterproof. That being said, in my experience anything with zippers (that don't roll up or something) can't be trusted to be waterproof. And, if I had an $1800 piece of equipment, I'd make sure I knew my bag was waterproof.

Also, I have a wolfman duffel and that thing is totally waterproof. I left it in the back of my pickup last time I camped an it rained all night and all my suff was totally dry.
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #27
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Zeiss lens + carelessness = not Wolfman's fault

Quote:

Plenty of motorcycle gear is not waterproof, and even the stuff which IS waterproof
will leak sometimes at certain points -- this is the operative reality of riding a motorcycle in the rain as those who have done miles in the rain know only too well. If you didn't pack your lens in its own roll-up dry bag inside the Wolfman tank bag, and you expected the Wolfman bag to be waterproof simply because you thought it "should be waterproof" you have only yourself to blame for the results. It's sad that you would try to
shift the blame to Wolfman, who are good people who make good gear.
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #28
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,565
The GL and Wolfman rollie system are super expensive for what they are and are not.

Get Kriega, for the price you get a helluvalot more for your money. 10 year warranty and guaranteed waterproof. 10 years from now while the wolfman and GL stuff is worn out (if you really use and abuse it) the Kriega will still be kicking. And in case it's not you can just give them a call for a replacement.

I have the US30, same capacity as the coyote and wolfman setups, and is not limited to bike use. I can wear it like a messenger bag with the included messenger bag straps, or a backpack with the backpack straps from another brand of luggage (you can buy those backpack straps for like $5). If you need more volume you can supplement the US30 with any of their other bags since they are modular.

I had the 20 for superlight camping, upped to the 30 for a little more comfort oriented gear. The single, large rectangular pack is also easier to pack larger, bulkier items than either the GL or wolfman setups. And is much easier to remove and take with you.

In it I have the following.

Eureka custom sleeveless clip BC2 tent (14" poles, tent is 7x11 stuffed)
Slumberjack Diablo big guy (36"w) sleeping bag (30 degree, 6.5x11 compressed)
Exped 9DLX sleeping pad (25x78x4, 6x11 compressed)
In the water resistant pocket I have an MSR packtowl, largest size
In the mesh pocket I have this. I use it either as a ground cloth or in cold weather I put it inside the tent as an interior floor liner, reflective barrier facing up. With me in the tent it raises the interior temperature maybe 10 degrees. Since all my tents are roughly 5x8 this is perfect. Oh, it will soon double as a fly extension for the BC2 tent to make a small covered vestibule for it..

Kriega also make a tankbag adapter so you can use any of their bags as a tankbag. Obviously for a DS you would not use anything more than the 10l bag. I also have the 5L fender bag. right now it's actually mounted to the rack of my bicycle.

Kriega has these mountable straps that come with the 5 liter fender bags that you can mount to the rear cowl of your bike and mount them up just like the side bags of the wolfman rollie. You should be able to use the 10l with that as well or make your own straps for this purpose with some large fender washers and button cap bolts.

If you like the rollie system you can get the rollie mount and use a stronger drybag with lashing loops (sea to summit big river bags are excellent) They are oval shaped like the rollie bags so they do not roll away. You can get a few different sizes for the cost of 1 rollie bag.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #29
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,995
I have a Kriega 10 and a Wolfman Med Rolie and I have to go with Eddie on this one, the Kriega is much better. Not that the Rolie is bad mind but the Kriega is that much better.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #30
BCJC
Adventurer

did an overnighter on the weekend, and had a chance to test out the full rolie bag kit. we were riding fast main roads, rough two track, and some rocky/bumpy obstacles. bags held on great, no shifting at all, and i was bashing the bike around pretty good.

also, i am very glad i opted for the rolie over the gl, as it poured rain on us, and all my stuff was bone dry. very happy about that.

i pack very light, ie no tent, and had enough room for an overnighter, with some to spare. i also had a small backpack on, with just a few light items in it.

they can be slightly tedious with setup/takedown, but overall the pros outweigh the cons imo.

pic