Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #31
derrickbwg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
The GL not being waterproof is a huge negative in my book. I wonder if they have a similar waterproof design in the works?
derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #32
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Wolfman
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #33
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 718
Giant loop

Hi im riding up to java atm and i choose the giant basin bag cause its easy to put on and off, its actually really good gear. I would reccommend it to anyone, from sydney to darwin it never let me down, i can see ways to improve it but its probably the best luggage i have ever bought. I would never by bmw panniers etc again. I believe top boxes should be illegal as they distabilise bikes and you see countless overloaded idiots riding around the world with overloaded bikes , particuarly bmw gs riders. I ride a hp2 bmw and have owned bmw's all my life , plus a bunch of other bikes. I think it would take about 3 mins to put your giant basinbag on the bike.
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #34
krasht
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Wolfman Tank Bag

I have the Wolfman Tank bag on the IMS tank on my 08 Husky TE 510. Quality product that looks and works great for a very reasonable price.

Dimensions:
•Length: 9"
•Width: 5 1/2"
•Height: Front-7 3/8"
•Rear- 3 1/2"
Capacity:
6 Liters, 366 cu.in.
Accessories available:
Rain cover

$79.99
Attached Images

krasht screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 01:06 AM
krasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #35
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
If it helps here is a pic of my bike with my Wolfman setup.
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:56 AM   #36
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,940
Do you Kriega owners have any pics of your bags on the bike? Their website is lame in that regard with pics of sportbike riders wearing back packs.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #37
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Do you happen to have any pictures of this on your bike(s) and/or the amount of things you fit in your bags? I'm trying to get a real world idea how much I can stuff into each size bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
did an overnighter on the weekend, and had a chance to test out the full rolie bag kit. we were riding fast main roads, rough two track, and some rocky/bumpy obstacles. bags held on great, no shifting at all, and i was bashing the bike around pretty good.

also, i am very glad i opted for the rolie over the gl, as it poured rain on us, and all my stuff was bone dry. very happy about that.

i pack very light, ie no tent, and had enough room for an overnighter, with some to spare. i also had a small backpack on, with just a few light items in it.

they can be slightly tedious with setup/takedown, but overall the pros outweigh the cons imo.

pic
Old 10-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #38
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickbwg View Post
The GL not being waterproof is a huge negative in my book. I wonder if they have a similar waterproof design in the works?
You can tell they tried to make it waterproof. It's very heavy, rubber-coated fabric -- no water will get through the fabric itself. I've heard that these days they give the customer a tube of seam sealer and tell them they're on their own; when I bought mine I had to buy my own sealer, too. Serious tent manufacturers long ago learned to apply tape and sealant to seams at the factory.
The zippers on the GL have a sort-of water resistant rubber edge outside the zipper, but in my experience it doesn't withstand wind-driven rain. Perhaps if they added a flap over the zipper it would help, but that undoubtedly would drive up the cost.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #39
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,280
that kreiga stuff looks pretty cool. but like someone else mentioned their web site sucks! i did find this...

http://media.photobucket.com/image/K...a/DSC02163.jpg

I just ordered the wm expedition bags and 2 large rollie bags too. hope it works out!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #40
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Perhaps if they added a flap over the zipper it would help, but that undoubtedly would drive up the cost.
Current Coyote and Great Basin bags have a flap over the zipper. The cost did go up a little. Works great though.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 AM   #41
BoerSchoeman
Stealth Camper Tent

Oddometer: 93
my 2c.

I have crashed on my 1200GS years ago, as a noob. I had hard luggage cases/panniers with me and was traveling solo through remote areas of RSA. I had to abandon the bike and I had to walk for 4 days with damn hard luggage before I found help.

Since then, all my soft luggage choices has shoulder straps with which I can carry the bag. I currently (and past 3 years) have a K-way 75L hiking backpack which I find can store all my kit, clothing and food. My tools I carry in a seperate tankbang. i won't be needing 95% of what's in there when I abandon the bike anyway.

Ironically, since I have been using a hiking backpack as my luggage setup, I have never had to walk for help again.
Attached Images

BoerSchoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #42
BoerSchoeman
Stealth Camper Tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins View Post
Hi im riding up to java atm and i choose the giant basin bag cause its easy to put on and off, its actually really good gear. I would reccommend it to anyone, from sydney to darwin it never let me down, i can see ways to improve it but its probably the best luggage i have ever bought. I would never by bmw panniers etc again. I believe top boxes should be illegal as they distabilise bikes and you see countless overloaded idiots riding around the world with overloaded bikes , particuarly bmw gs riders. I ride a hp2 bmw and have owned bmw's all my life , plus a bunch of other bikes. I think it would take about 3 mins to put your giant basinbag on the bike.
I agree with you.

I get really frustrated with guys overloading bike to the max.

Just cause all your sh*t fits into your topbox, doesn't make it a good idea to carry all of it along.

My Moto: I pack everything I think I might need on a trip out on my bed before I pack. Then I only pack half of that stuff. I am a great believer in super lightweight packing and camping. It makes the bike easier to handle. And I have GS and GSA and 650 Dakar. On all of them I load less then 15kg for a trip.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #43
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerSchoeman View Post
I agree with you.

I get really frustrated with guys overloading bike to the max.

Just cause all your sh*t fits into your topbox, doesn't make it a good idea to carry all of it along.

My Moto: I pack everything I think I might need on a trip out on my bed before I pack. Then I only pack half of that stuff. I am a great believer in super lightweight packing and camping. It makes the bike easier to handle. And I have GS and GSA and 650 Dakar. On all of them I load less then 15kg for a trip.
And then you pack it on a GSA
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #44
BoerSchoeman
Stealth Camper Tent

Yeah, I'm a fool.

I did a namibia trip with heavy sand this weekend, and I assure you, of all the bikes there, the GSA despite the weight disadvantage handled better than some smaller bikes with heavy loads.

I have a heavy bike. I am a heavy bloke. The less stuff I pack, the safer it is for me (note: ME) to take my bike through sand. I know there are more experienced riders who can handle GSA's with heavy loads on any terrain. I can't

See the pic below. This is some of the sand we played in. Serious stuff even for small bikes.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2011, 05:30 AM   #45
BoerSchoeman
Stealth Camper Tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
And then you pack it on a GSA

You missed that I also have a dakar part?

And she is a beauty.
Attached Images