Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #46
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerSchoeman View Post
You missed that I also have a dakar part?

And she is a beauty.
I didn't no...but I only see a GS(A - not sure which)

And yes, the Dakar is indeed a beauty
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #47
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,894
Oh my, I just picked up a US-40 Kriega set from my friends shop. If soft luggage is what you want and versatility is key this might be an option.
I'm gonna do a review soon. This stuff is GREAT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I am currently in the market for soft luggage for my ktm 690 enduro. I have narrowed my choices down to 2:

Wolfman rolie saddle bag mount system: http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Rolie/...md_saddle.html

using 2 medium bags (one on each side) and a large bag on top. I have already emailed wolfman and they confirmed that these bags will all fit together albeit tight. This will provide 29.5 liters capacity and the roll top bags are without a doubt waterproof. The saddle bag mount attaches very similarly to a GL bag and so no racks are required and it appears that it should be very stable. I am leaning towards this setup as I like that I would be able to reconfigure the bag setup depending on the ride and it is a bit cheaper than the GL (~$270 retail vs. $329 retail)

Giant Loop Coyote: http://www.giantloopmoto.com/products/coyote-saddlebag

30 liters capacity (very similar to the 3 rolie bags) and waterproof. I have heard a few minor complaints about leaking through the seams and zipper, but that is easily dealt with (seam sealing kit is included.) I like that this is just one piece to strap on compared to the nearly dozen straps of the wolfman bags. Being that it is one large bag compared to 3 smaller ones, I would be able to carry much larger individual items (I'm not sure what I would ever need to carry that would not fit in a rolie bag.) The integral top straps would make it easy to attach my tent or an additional dry bag if needed. The biggest down sides that I can see are that it is a bit more expensive than the rolie's and the bag would more often than not be too big for what I carry for day to day riding and it would be harder to secure just a few small items than the smaller rolie bags.

Does anyone have any experience with the Wolfman Rolie bags? I can't seem to find much info (positive or negative) from actual users. I've read tons about the GL and it is no doubt a quality product and I'm sure that it could work for me, but I'd like to hear input about why it is superior (or not) to the rolie bags
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #48
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
that kreiga stuff looks pretty cool. but like someone else mentioned their web site sucks! i did find this...

http://media.photobucket.com/image/K...a/DSC02163.jpg

I just ordered the wm expedition bags and 2 large rollie bags too. hope it works out!
You will be happy with them. Great quality.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #49
kclark
1SevenZero

Oddometer: 75
I use the GL Great Basin and a generic role up waterproof bag. That is all I need for multi day trips. If I can't fit it in those 2 bags I don't need it.

It doesn't feel top heavy, it's water resistent in a light sprinkle, and if it's pouring rain I just place it's contents in a trash bag before I place it in the GL and it never gets wet. Another feature I like is how easy it is take it off and put it on.

It doesn't bother me that the GL is not seam sealed from the factory. I learned along time ago, if it has seams and zippers, it isn't waterproof.
Attached Images

kclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #50
BoerSchoeman
Stealth Camper Tent

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark View Post
I use the GL Great Basin and a generic role up waterproof bag. That is all I need for multi day trips. If I can't fit it in those 2 bags I don't need it.

It doesn't feel top heavy, it's water resistent in a light sprinkle, and if it's pouring rain I just place it's contents in a trash bag before I place it in the GL and it never gets wet. Another feature I like is how easy it is take it off and put it on.

It doesn't bother me that the GL is not seam sealed from the factory. I learned along time ago, if it has seams and zippers, it isn't waterproof.

I love that look!!
BoerSchoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #51
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 604
well,
just came accross this thread, and not to deter from OPost, but my experience with wolfman product is poor.
Got 3 sets of the Wolfman side tankbags/panniers ( yellow) with zipper as they looked sturdy and waterproof.
Went to Alaska last month and me and my son had the same outcome , thet take water very easily. I assume some through the zippers ( though faiirly well protected) but mainly through the foam pad ( protecting the tank). We each had at least an inch of water at the bottom of the bags, both side , so VERY disappointing
However, they are roomy, and sturdy. Our third set have taken a beating and they remain strong +++. They fit well and are very adjustable.
But i thought they would stand up against rain a lot better.or may be I didn't read the fine print !

http://vimeo.com/29449599 here is a little video of the trip . The ATs have the wolfman bags
Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #52
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerSchoeman View Post
I had to abandon the bike and I had to walk for 4 days with damn hard luggage before I found help.
Yikes! I'm glad you didn't have a broken ankle!
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #53
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainmax View Post
well,
just came accross this thread, and not to deter from OPost, but my experience with wolfman product is poor.
Got 3 sets of the Wolfman side tankbags/panniers ( yellow) with zipper as they looked sturdy and waterproof.
Went to Alaska last month and me and my son had the same outcome , thet take water very easily. I assume some through the zippers ( though faiirly well protected) but mainly through the foam pad ( protecting the tank). We each had at least an inch of water at the bottom of the bags, both side , so VERY disappointing
However, they are roomy, and sturdy. Our third set have taken a beating and they remain strong +++. They fit well and are very adjustable.
But i thought they would stand up against rain a lot better.or may be I didn't read the fine print !

http://vimeo.com/29449599 here is a little video of the trip . The ATs have the wolfman bags

Great video! I do not think those are ment to be waterproof...
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #54
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Quote:
Great video! I do not think those are ment to be waterproof...
thank you

If that is the case though, it is non sense to design these . I can understand not waterproof cause wind/rain would eventually seep through...but barely water resistant is non sense to me for a motorcycle product at that price.

When it stopped raining/ drizzling, the 1'' water IN the bag went ...nowhere.
Unfortunately I bought 3 sets of these
Old 10-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #55
derrickbwg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark View Post
It doesn't feel top heavy, it's water resistent in a light sprinkle, and if it's pouring rain I just place it's contents in a trash bag before I place it in the GL and it never gets wet. Another feature I like is how easy it is take it off and put it on.It doesn't bother me that the GL is not seam sealed from the factory. I learned along time ago, if it has seams and zippers, it isn't waterproof.
Don't take this as me giving you a hard time, but that's just not an acceptable solution for me. It's not always raining when I start out on a ride so it would require that EVERY time I loaded up I'd have to put everything I didn't want getting wet inside a garbage bag before the ride or stop when it starts raining to do the same. That's a pretty lame requirement for luggage that costs $300-$450. I love the design/shape of the GL and I'm hoping they make a product in the future that is welded instead of sewn. I'd be willing to give up the ease of use of the zipper for a design that's more tedious to open but waterproof. If they don't do it soon I'm sure someone else will.
derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #56
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickbwg View Post
Don't take this as me giving you a hard time, but that's just not an acceptable solution for me. It's not always raining when I start out on a ride so it would require that EVERY time I loaded up I'd have to put everything I didn't want getting wet inside a garbage bag before the ride or stop when it starts raining to do the same. That's a pretty lame requirement for luggage that costs $300-$450. I love the design/shape of the GL and I'm hoping they make a product in the future that is welded instead of sewn. I'd be willing to give up the ease of use of the zipper for a design that's more tedious to open but waterproof. If they don't do it soon I'm sure someone else will.
I have some Triumph bags for my ST that are waterproof (with the covers on) and I still always put my stuff in Ziploc bags for the simple reason I can roll them up and get all the air out so they are less bulky. It also allows me to organize things much better. YMMV....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #57
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainmax View Post
thank you

If that is the case though, it is non sense to design these . I can understand not waterproof cause wind/rain would eventually seep through...but barely water resistant is non sense to me for a motorcycle product at that price.

When it stopped raining/ drizzling, the 1'' water IN the bag went ...nowhere.
Unfortunately I bought 3 sets of these

I do agree that all moto luggage should be waterproof. I try not to buy moto luggage unless its that plastic dry bag material, metal, or plastic... My guess would be that the water is getting in through the zippers. I would poke a couple small holes in the bottom or maybe you could make a small little flap over the zippers. Or you can buy those cheap dry bags at Walmart that work really well and put them inside your bags... That may help? Maybe call Wolfmann. They seem like they they have stellar customer service!
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #58
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Oh my, I just picked up a US-40 Kriega set from my friends shop. If soft luggage is what you want and versatility is key this might be an option.
I'm gonna do a review soon. This stuff is GREAT!
Looking forward to your review Jim. Interested in how these mount to the bike.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #59
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,409
Giant Loops come in 3 sizes of rubberized bags.

Fantastic kit. I have the Teton and Coyote - need the Mojave.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product...vitm-saddlebag

Couldn't be happier with them.

No racks needed, and instant on/off.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #60
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Quote:
I do agree that all moto luggage should be waterproof. I try not to buy moto luggage unless its that plastic dry bag material, metal, or plastic... My guess would be that the water is getting in through the zippers. I would poke a couple small holes in the bottom or maybe you could make a small little flap over the zippers. Or you can buy those cheap dry bags at Walmart that work really well and put them inside your bags... That may help? Maybe call Wolfmann. They seem like they they have stellar customer service!
thanks for your suggestions Fbj,...they DO have a flap over the zipper... The point is , they seem waterproof one way but not the other...they keep water IN They are well used so they'll "send me on my way"