User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #91
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Belt and suspenders.

An easy way to make any luggage system waterproof is to simply put any stuff you really want dry in a dry sack. They come in ultalight fabrics and any size and shape you might want for $10 - $20. They are available at most brick & mortar backpacking shops and on-line. I use these in my GL Coyote and never have to worry about moisture.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/15

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or...y-sack-1l.html

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Drysacks-P112C15.aspx
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #92
Kestrel
Gear Driven Cams!!

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21 View Post
Coyote and Great Basin for the win
You may want to disclose that you are in fact the Giant Loop vendor and thus slighty biased. Personally, I find your products grossly overpriced for what they are and have disregarded them and looked into other options. $400+ for soft luggage is far from reasonable in my books.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #93
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
You may want to disclose that you are in fact the Giant Loop vendor and thus slighty biased.
False.

But I am biased.

Sorry about your budget.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #94
Kestrel
Gear Driven Cams!!

It appears that the original proprietors are David Wach and Harold Cecil, as per the Giant Loop website, out of Bend, Oregon. You are coincidentally also from Bend, and you have created multiple threads in the Vendors section in regards to Giant Loop products. So you are claiming to have no relation to the company whatsoever? Rather suspicious given your posting activity for the products.

And it isn't the budget that is the problem so much as the value of the bag itself. $440 for a shaped duffel bag isn't what I call a bargain. For the record, yes - I've had my hands on a Great Basin. While it was nicely built, it wasn't nearly so nice or innovative as to justify the price tag.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #95
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Quote:
It appears that the original proprietors are David Wach and Harold Cecil, as per the Giant Loop website, out of Bend, Oregon. You are coincidentally also from Bend, and you have created multiple threads in the Vendors section in regards to Giant Loop products. So you are claiming to have no relation to the company whatsoever? Rather suspicious given your posting activity for the products.

And it isn't the budget that is the problem so much as the value of the bag itself. $440 for a shaped duffel bag isn't what I call a bargain. For the record, yes - I've had my hands on a Great Basin. While it was nicely built, it wasn't nearly so nice or innovative as to justify the price tag.

Crap, yeah you busted me. Wachs bought me a beer one time now I feel like I owe him something.

Hey, wait a minute, I think I bought those beers!

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #96
WILD74
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FangItAsh View Post
I researched quite extensively before purchasing the Giant Loop GB for my trip around Australia. In summary after 12, 500km's and 4 weeks in weather ranging from desert heat to days of torrential rain the pro's and con's are as follows:
  • Pros
    • Fits very snug to the bike. There is no adverse impact on bike handling;
    • No issues what so ever with heat from exhaust - heat shield was provided but not needed;
    • Easy to attach and detach from bike, with 5 tie down straps;
    • Very convenient D rings for attaching my swag (bivvy) via rocstraps
    • Convenient, detaches as a single unit which is easily carried;
    • Price, when compared to other 52 litre luggage alternatives
      • packing list
        • sleeping bag
        • spare BMW bike pants
        • long pants
        • track pants
        • 5 pairs of socks and underwear
        • 1 pair of shorts
        • 2 pair each of thermals (upper and lower)
        • 3 t-shirts
        • 1 cycle pump compressor
        • 1 first aid kit
        • 1 litre of oil
        • 2 by 1 litre emergency water bottles
  • Cons
    • Not entirely waterproof. Seam sealant is provided, and this was diligently applied. In torrentail rain, sleeping bag was damp in places where rain had either entered via zip or seam. That said, I did not consider this as a major problem as all other gear was in dry bags. I will apply more seam sealant before next trip.
    • When bag is full it is important not to overstress the zip. Not a big problem if care is taken to pack bag to minimise risk, but a concern when in very remote places and if zip fails. I made a conscious effort when packing, especially packing the sleeping bag (which is packed loose) not to stress the zip, and had no problems.
Conclusion.
  • Fantastic bit of kit designed for the minimalist, on or off-road adventurer. Overall, a happy customer.
Hi,
Is it possible to put on one extra tires for the long trip ?
Thanks for your answer,
WILD74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #97
marty922
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILD74 View Post
Hi,
Is it possible to put on one extra tires for the long trip ?
Thanks for your answer,
G'day,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here for a second.

Not the greatest pic, but I think you get the idea. My DR carrying a Mitas E-09 Dakar whilst wearing out the stock deathwings on the tar.

'10 DR650SE -=- '12 'Berg TE300 -=- '04 VFR800
marty922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #98
marty922
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
I paid more than $440 for the bag (one of the benefits of living on a remote island) and I couldn't be more rapt with the quality and the value for money of this bit of kit. It is much more than a "shaped duffel bag". I don't believe there are any other solutions that are as cost effective and as hardy. It is well thought out and very well executed. I've had more than my hands on it. I've travelled over 15,000 kms (nearly 10,000 miles) through deserts and torrential rain. Would something else have worked as well? Probably yes. However, I will heartily recommend GL gear to anyone who will listen.

Cheers, Marty

'10 DR650SE -=- '12 'Berg TE300 -=- '04 VFR800
marty922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:00 AM   #99
Terry Bugera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I have the Great Basin GL bag and use it on my Super Duke. This past summer I put 10k miles with this set up instead of using my 12GS with hard luggage. Sure I packed less, sure i got colder than i would have on the GS and sure I had more fun in the curves.

Thing i like most about the GB it's a single bag with only two tied downs to deal with. Throw the bag over the back seat, cinch down two cam lock straps to the passenger foot peg brackets, hook the rear strap (to keep bag from moving forward) and thats it. The bag stays were it is tied down and is barely noticeable at speed! I have not had, but I assume that a multiple bag system would have brackets to install and a bunch more belts to tie down, that is a deal breaker for me.

I also have a 10 litre bag for extra storage. (.5 % of the time, mainly to pick up beer at the end of the day) It goes on top of the GB and simply uses the built in compression straps to keep it totally secure.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #100
Kestrel
Gear Driven Cams!!

rmhrc628, PM sent. Let's resolve this in private

Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #101
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i use a coyote and love it. i've used it on different bikes. my setup is to use the 2 center loops through the front edge of a rear rack and it sits on the rear of my seat. i then have place for a rear back and something on top of those 2 in the center wedge if i want.

i looked at the rollie but like that coyote is a 1 piece one & 1 piece off deal.
at camp, i can quickly pull the whole coyote off and work with it from there.
the next morning i can even pack it in the tent and drop the whole thing on the bike and then pack the tent last and strap it on top. the rollie system is sweet but has too many straps and such for me atleast and since it's 1 continuous bag, no wasted space between the gaps of 3 bags.
here's my coyote setup w/ pelican rear box.
i use some wolfman pieces too, just like the all in 1 aspect of the GL.
it's fast on and off the bike and with the inner linners packing is a snap.
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #102
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
here's my coyote setup w/ pelican rear box.
i use some wolfman pieces too, just like the all in 1 aspect of the GL.
it's fast on and off the bike and with the inner linners packing is a snap.

First off I am not dogging your set-up. Everyone is able to set thier bike up however they want. But my problem is that your GL bag is on your rear seat. I think this is a dangerous set up for offroad riding. All it takes is one little bump for that rear tire to kick up, then the bag hits you in the ass, and over the bars you go. My opinion is that keeping the rear seat empty is critical for offroad stuff. It think this is my biggest problem with GL. If you can keep it back, great. If its on your rear seat, I dont want it. For a good highway ride I see no problems.

Just something to think about for everyone else.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #103
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
First off I am not dogging your set-up. Everyone is able to set thier bike up however they want. But my problem is that your GL bag is on your rear seat. I think this is a dangerous set up for offroad riding. All it takes is one little bump for that rear tire to kick up, then the bag hits you in the ass, and over the bars you go. My opinion is that keeping the rear seat empty is critical for offroad stuff. It think this is my biggest problem with GL. If you can keep it back, great. If its on your rear seat, I dont want it. For a good highway ride I see no problems.

That's an interesting perspective. My own thinking is that if my Tigger kicked up like that, I'm in bigger trouble than just having the bag him me in the ass.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #104
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
That's an interesting perspective. My own thinking is that if my Tigger kicked up like that, I'm in bigger trouble than just having the bag him me in the ass.
Not necessarilly, think about the times your kind of "floating" over your bike. I do it a lot, expecially in downhill sections or deep rock/sand. The times when your not very high off your bike but still necessary to stand up. Or the times when you want to be back on your bike but only to find that a bag is in your way. I move all over my bikes. back and forth, side to side... also there are times when the bike is leaned in for forward position and I dont want to be. If that makes any sense.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #105
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I have heard zero reports of anyone getting boinked over the bars by their GL set-up. Most of them are set-up 50/50 rear seat/fender. I don't like being crowded back there either and I have had no issues whatsoever.