Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #106
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
. . . But my problem is that your GL bag is on your rear seat. I think this is a dangerous set up for offroad riding. All it takes is one little bump for that rear tire to kick up, then the bag hits you in the ass, and over the bars you go. . .
I think you aren't aware of how the bag is cinched back and down. There are three straps for that sort of in the middle/back/top area. This is in addition to the two straps that hold the ends down to the passenger pegs. Of course the user must attach it properly, but once cinched down, it's not going anywhere.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #107
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,419
All the political crap has been punted to H.E. No point in even dumping it in JM..

Let's keep this thread about the products at hand, and not descend into name calling and political crap.. we have a whole forum just for that.. and you know where it is..
Old 12-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #108
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21 View Post
I have heard zero reports of anyone getting boinked over the bars by their GL set-up. Most of them are set-up 50/50 rear seat/fender. I don't like being crowded back there either and I have had no issues whatsoever.

I didnt say anyone is, and I was only reffereing to the post that was directly above my original post. Thats why I quoted him. Thats also why I said as long as its not on the back seat I think it would be fine.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #109
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I didnt say anyone is, and I was only reffereing to the post that was directly above my original post. Thats why I quoted him. Thats also why I said as long as its not on the back seat I think it would be fine.
Well it is, with most set-ups, partially on the back part of the seat. And it's fine.

You have not actually ridden with a GL set-up have you?

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #110
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Well it is, with most set-ups, partially on the back part of the seat. And it's fine.

Nope, I have strapped back packs and things to my rear seat and I wont ever do it again for heavy offroad riding. It looks like a product I would want to use on more of a "dirtbike" though. DR650 and such... It looks like it would sit more on the back fender in those applications... Maybe its all fine. Its just that visually thats the first thing that come to my mind.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #111
HH
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:

Case dismissed.
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #112
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double H View Post
[/B]

Case dismissed.
I didnt know there was a case...? I was just speaking my opinion. I thought that's what this thread was started for. To compare the two types of bags... Is this better?

If it goes on your seat I dont want it.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #113
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 333
I just purchased the giant loop great basin saddle bag, very happy with how the bag works on my Tiger800xc. I did take the time to seal all seams and stitching on the bag with the provided seam sealer (bastard of a job) hoping that the effort was worth it! I have a weekend ride coming up I will hold my option until then, being autumn here in Tasmania rain is guaranteed!

If and when I do some extended month long trips I would like to install some Andy Strapz Expedition panniers & racks to compliment the Giant loop bag, this will keep the weight lower.

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com

Windy Rider screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 05:08 PM
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #114
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Gents - FBJ913 has a bit of concern with the bag. He's worried about the bag kicking him in the arse when the back end of the bike gets kicked up from terrain and your legs absorb the pogoing rear end until the rear seat or GL bag whacks yer butt.. A legitimate concern when you ride unpredictable terrain at speed. Droning along paved fire-roads will not induce this issue usually, however whistling along at a good clip on terrain that cannot be clearly read, or seen, will.

I've been riding with the GL Coyote bag off road for a few years now through 3 countries on multiweek long rides. Both with the first version of the bag and now the updated version.

Something that in essence raises your seat height in the rear will mean you have less room to absorb the terrain with your legs until the bag whacks you in the ass. Think about it, if my ass is over the seat/rear fender junction this bag can possibly get in the way.

If you're riding properly centered on your bike at ALL times it would probably never be an issue. There are times however when I'm as far back on the bike as my midget arms will allow; steep, steep downhills and when hitting God-awful objects at speed that I have no time to deal with other than slamming into the objects. When my ass is back there the distance between my ass and the bike is diminished due to the loaded Coyote occupying the space now instead of only the seat. Its a realistic concern. Its even more troublesome when you're a short ass like me and the legs don't provide 3 feet of absorption (before ass hitting seat) like if i was 6'5". Anyway bottom line after riding with the wonderful Coyote strapped to the KTM for years I have been launched out of my seat due to my arse hitting the Coyote not more than 5 times. It does happen.......but not as often as I would have feared, for me at least. If you're taller than 5'5" hopefully it'll happen less for you than for me.

I have ridden both (for years) with saddlebags (DirtBagz) and the GL Coyote and have the choice of running either. When running off road I go for the GL bag.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #115
TundraBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I have been following this thread and I am getting close ot making my choice/purchace. I have also been asking quesitons and have run into a few friends with GL and other bags. I have a KLR and will be going with the Great Basin then using a medium size Rolie just behind the GB on the lugage rack and a tent. It looks like the Great Basin straps will keep anything behind it (Rolie and tent) secured. I plan on moving the Great Basin up on the seat for most travel (balance CG). It sounds like it would be a good idea to keep it back on the rougher roads/trails - I like using most of the seat when riding trails anyway. I backpack quite a bit here in AK and usually pack everything in ziplocks or a good stuff sack and I have never had problems with wet clothes. I have a Wiggy's sleeping bag and I dont care if that gets wet - so it will probably go near the zipper. I am looking forward to exploring a lot of the backroads here in AK this summer.
TundraBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #116
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Enjoy the backroads TundraBob and hope the GL does well for you. 2.5 gallon Ziplock bags are an inexpensive way to waterproof your stuff if needed.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #117
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Enjoy the backroads TundraBob and hope the GL does well for you. 2.5 gallon Ziplock bags are an inexpensive way to waterproof your stuff if needed.
And reduce bulk by removing all the air out of them.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #118
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
GL Coyote fully loaded.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #119
matapo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I like both set ups. I m really kean on buying a GL. The only thing that holds me back is securiy.

Its impossible to leave the bike unattended.
matapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #120
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
GL Coyote fully loaded.

Nice pic Brad. Both the XR and GL in their element.