Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #121
Chet Jr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I've had a lot of big sportbikes over the years including Honda 750, Kaw Z1, VMax, Hayabusa etc.
I recently bought a Honda GB500 and absolutely love it.

Great handling, 60 MPG, adequate power, and great looks. It would be great if bikes like the GB were available today.

Chet
Chet Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #122
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
My wife's street thumper just got some fresh paint.......

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #123
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
My wife's street thumper just got some fresh

She must be psyched....very nice redo.
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #124
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
My wife's street thumper just got some fresh paint.......
Nice! The SRX250 is a cool bike, so is the 600 but recently some reason people have been asking over $3k for them.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #125
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasKawboy View Post
The Suzuli TU250X has a pretty good following here on ADV. The thread is at 177 pages as of now. I'm 56 years old and love mine, so do the rest of the older guys that ride them and a bunch of younger guys too.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414302
I had one and loved it. But, when push came to shove and one of my bikes had to go...it was the TU.

Why? Because, while it was good around town, it was nearly useless on the open road. Topped out at about 62, unless I tucked or had a tailwind. And the vaunted fuel economy, 80 or so at moderate throttle, disappeared wide-open. My BMW actually got better mileage at road speeds.

It was a shame, too. The chassis, although small, allowed me to spread out my 6'2" length - just like the Japanese bikes I learned on, decades ago. Balance was superb; controls were light and natural. Everything was there; just not enough oomph.

If they'd made a TU650 with the Savage engine and fuel injection (or cut down the stroke on that engine to give it more revving potential) then they'd have a serious contender for Road Thumper. But Suzuki's recent history is of just missing the mark.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #126
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Only One Lung Required

Single cylinder bikes are going to make a huge comeback. The technology is better, the models are better - and handle better due to weight. Just give in and buy one already. After a few months you'll only take the pigs out on Sundays.
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #127
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

I'm surprised nobody waxed enthusiastic over this baby:

There ya go. Nice, sane, rational displacement. Just the thing in that wonderful world of $10/gallon gasoline. Just think...when beans and rice are the staples because beef and pork are priced out of reach of most people, because the fuel needed to raise and transport them is prohibitive;

when everyone depends on "public transportation" and government-funding for "public transportation" is so reduced because there's little tax take because everyone is barely eking out subsistence..."public transportation" will be what it is in Mexico. A thirty-year-old former school bus with chickens and stowaways on the roof.

And we can all hope that when we get to middle age, we can afford...what? An Excursion SUV? A summer home? A Caribbean cruise? NO...a mighty Kawasaki ELIMINATOR, all 125cc's, to get us into town for our first pair of shoes!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #128
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
I had one and loved it. But, when push came to shove and one of my bikes had to go...it was the TU.

Why? Because, while it was good around town, it was nearly useless on the open road. Topped out at about 62, unless I tucked or had a tailwind. And the vaunted fuel economy, 80 or so at moderate throttle, disappeared wide-open. My BMW actually got better mileage at road speeds.

It was a shame, too. The chassis, although small, allowed me to spread out my 6'2" length - just like the Japanese bikes I learned on, decades ago. Balance was superb; controls were light and natural. Everything was there; just not enough oomph.

If they'd made a TU650 with the Savage engine and fuel injection (or cut down the stroke on that engine to give it more revving potential) then they'd have a serious contender for Road Thumper. But Suzuki's recent history is of just missing the mark.
I'm curious if you ever changed the stock gearing or tried a shield?
I run a large shield, 1 tooth up in front and 2 down in the rear. I can usually hit 70 with no problems (routinely cruise at 65) and can still see 75-80 on the flats. (in Pa. there aren't many flats)...while stilly getting 80-84 mpg.
How many miles were on your TU when you unloaded it? (it takes a good 5,000 miles before the thing is truely using all its 16hp. for itself)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #129
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
I'm curious if you ever changed the stock gearing or tried a shield?
Nope, neither. Without a tach, I didn't want to give it lower gearing and have to wonder when I'd gone over the redline.

A bike that size, I'm not really a believer in windshields. I like the look of a naked bike; and I have a full-face helmet.

Quote:
I run a large shield, 1 tooth up in front and 2 down in the rear. I can usually hit 70 with no problems (routinely cruise at 65) and can still see 75-80 on the flats. (in Pa. there aren't many flats)...while stilly getting 80-84 mpg.
How many miles were on your TU when you unloaded it? (it takes a good 5,000 miles before the thing is truely using all its 16hp. for itself)
Think I had about 2500 miles on it. I bought it the winter before my job situation went to hell...the only riding I did with it the one summer I had it, was around town in my "new" town. Never really got unpacked; that was a temporary job that might have become permanent but didn't.

Then, box everything up for the move south; and THEN have to repeat for a trip "home" six weeks later. So, no...never broke it in that way.

Someone else, I hope, got a chance to build a long-term relationship with it. It was a good bike, no question; but whether I would repeat would depend on whether I needed a surface-street commuter bike.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #130
Southerner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
.................If they'd made a TU650 with the Savage engine and fuel injection (or cut down the stroke on that engine to give it more revving potential) then they'd have a serious contender for Road Thumper. But Suzuki's recent history is of just missing the mark.
I expect Suzuki will continue to ignore this very obvious idea, good though it is.

I wouldn't mind finding a suitably cheap Savage somewhere and doing a RYCA on it but they RYCA is just a tad too extreme for me. I'd want something more like a Royal Enfield.
Southerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #131
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
This can give you some ideas> http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB...1266928992/0#0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB...m=1264727267/0

Some are converting the Savage into a road thumper.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #132
Southerner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I do like the bobber look but my 50+ frame and my 25 mile work commute pretty much demand a thicker seat and sit-up-and-beg seating. I could just get a DR but they're still a tad tall for my short inseam.
Southerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #133
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,628
To the OP...

NO!

Too much of the macho biggest is best or gimme plastic, lots of plastic in the U.S. to have any thumper come back strong.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #134
bmann
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
A while back someone posted about the new Chinese bikes not being street legal. As a mechanic I hope it stays that way. There is almost zero quality control on these and when you have to open the engine up - good luck! Awful manufacturing, terrible assembly, and bad parts availability do not make for safe bikes. They may catch up quick, but they are still a ways a away. You get what you pay for with those bikes. As for singles on the whole, I see great things coming. Newer tech means more power which increases appeal to a lot more people.
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:01 AM   #135
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmann View Post
A while back someone posted about the new Chinese bikes not being street legal. As a mechanic I hope it stays that way. There is almost zero quality control on these and when you have to open the engine up - good luck! Awful manufacturing, terrible assembly, and bad parts availability do not make for safe bikes. They may catch up quick, but they are still a ways a away. You get what you pay for with those bikes. As for singles on the whole, I see great things coming. Newer tech means more power which increases appeal to a lot more people.
F.W.I.W. I work with a guy who has/had a 200 Lifan D.S. shipped to his door in a crate, complete for $1,800 bucks brand new. Aside from him having to do the assembly himself, he's had 0 problems with the bike (less routine maint) and has 19,000 miles on it. Dude broke it in HARD running it up to 80mph many times before it even had 500 miles on it and yet, the damn thing doesn't burn any oil at all. (shouild I bring up how a certain companys mainstream 650 is KNOWN to have oil burning issues?)
The best part is, the guy didn't know it required valve adjustments (until I met him 9 months ago, it WAS his first bike) so it's initial break in service wasn't until it hit almost 12,000 miles.
His Lifan is now almost 3 yrs old and reliable as a rock.
The above might just be one example but, I wonder where all of these misconceptions come from? Espescially when you take into consideration that the Chineese Nation has built millions of these small CC bikes and scooters for themselves (as their main source of transportation, I might add) for generations now.

Honestly, all I see when I read these types of posts against Chineese "crap" is racism and bigotry. (same shit the Japaneese faced when they first started importing here and look at them now)

The ONLY 2 things I'll lend any credibility to in terms of chineese "crap" being sold here, would stem from the fact that American businessmen will and do whatever they can to turn the largest profit so...
What better way to turn a larger profit than to buy the cheapest pieces of shit built in China for resale here, so that they can make the most profit margin on it.
#2 is the fact that many who buy the chineese "crap" are first time bike buyers who have no clue about proper break-in or maint. so, it's no wonder their chineese "piece of crap" blows up. (the other 10% are great little bikes)
In either scenario, I place 90% of the blame for the "crap" on my fellow Americans who are stupid and cheap.
(I'm not calling all Americans stupid and cheap....just the ones who ARE stupid and cheap!)
Ps. I'm also NOT calling the above quoted person a racist or bigot = it's just what comes to mind when I read posts like this.

rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote