Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #226
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
Howdy,

Been reading the specifications of DL650 and sat on one, but have not ridden yet. One thing that's important to me and hard to discover: does it have a fuel drain cock, so I could drain all the fuel out of the tank if I got a load of contaminated fuel?

That happened to me in Indonesia last year with my (ex) BMW. Only way to drain the tank is to lift the bike upside down. That's one reason it is "ex" (along with breathtaking service costs, and 30 minutes to check the air filter or battery).

Also very interested in other issues on DL650 that might affect its use as an adventure tourer.

cheers!
I don't think the design has changed that much. You'd have to lift the tank and unbolt the fuel filter from the bottom. Or probably easier, undo the tank and turn it upside down.

It doesn't take many tools to do that ON THE OLDER DL , you need something like a towel to slip between the plastics and the tank to avoid scratched, there's one quick connect fuel line, one electrical plug, a few panel bolts (don't need to remove ALL the front plastics, just enough so you can spread them to lift the tank) and two bolts that hold the tank in place. Maybe 1/4 hour the second time. (O.K. an hour the first time , but once you've done it once , it's an easy repeat)

The new DL it LOOKED simpler when I looked at one, less plastics in the way.

Any of the FI bikes have problems with dirty fuel, though that said in some cases it's actually easier to clean the pump than get all the tiny bits of rust out of a pair of carbs. (Been there, done that, it's a job that takes hours).

The older DL fuel pump will run backwards, so plonking it in something less volatile than petrol (i.e. kerosine) and running it in reverse will flush the internal filters. So, carrying a spare fuel pump gasket would probably be enough to cope - no guarantees, DL's have been taken out by bad gas.

You can buy filter socks that you use when you fill the bike as well, they won't help with water, but they'll stop rust - I think the supplier is an Oz company.

The only other issues are:
The occasional bolt that's fallen out, but a quick run round the bike with a bottle of lock-tite will solve that pre-emptively.
A relay kit for the lights is advised, the wiring is marginal, as it is on most bikes nowdays, and they'll start to go yellowish with voltage drop after about 3 years. (The lights are otherwise excellent).

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #227
pneumatic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
The bike definitely feels smaller and lighter. I suspect the plastic rear rack, and new headlights / front cowl are lighter giving a lower CoG. The bike is only supposed to be 6kg lighter, so it's actually suprising that you can feel that.

I never had a problem with headlight wiring on my old strom, I don't expect I will with the new one. I did 90,000km on the old one.

Front brake is the same disc and caliper, so not suprisingly it feels the same.

I have only tried the windscreen in the middle position, but it definitely seems better. I didn't get any of the buffeting that would make my head wobble like on the old model.
pneumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #228
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Talking so, it's between 15 mins and an hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
I don't think the design has changed that much. You'd have to lift the tank and unbolt the fuel filter from the bottom. Or probably easier, undo the tank and turn it upside down.

Pete
I guess I could live with an hour to remove the tank. Not something I'd plan on doing very often, but just need to know it could be done. What about other everyday service items - can you get at the air filter pretty quick? And top up the coolant right away?

I can imagine that cleaning carbies on the road would not be easy. But it's the sort of thing you can get done by a local mechanic if travelling in developing countries. They are really resourceful and know what's in a EFI system, but they just don't have the tools or parts (well that was the case in Indo, anyway). And man do you feel like a dick standing next to a high-tech but immobile BMW while hundreds of "low tech" scooters fly past. I ride a two stroke these days.
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #229
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,450
Thumb

D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #230
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic View Post
I bought a 2012 Vstrom, I like it so far.

Here is my crap video review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HpSabWfV5o

and some pics I took (you can click on the first pic, then click on the big version and it will start a slide show)
http://www.trailrideraustralia.com/g...-DL650A-Vstrom

After riding it a bit more, I think it has a bit more of a sit on feel, slightly towards a big motard in feeling compared to the old strom. Hard to explain
Added your Video review to the Wee StromThread Index

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #231
pneumatic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
So I thought I'd take advantage of the fuel economy meter on the trip computer, and see how economic it is riding in gently to work.

My old 2004 Vstrom was consistently around 4.5 - 4.7 L/100km (50-52mpg). It had no oxygen sensor or anything fancy.

Riding into work yesterday (on my 2012), on my 54km round trip, I averaged 3.7 L/100km (63mpg). That's pretty crazy I reckon. My trip in is 80kph roads with occasional traffic lights at the start, then 60kph lots of traffics lights all the way to the city for the 2nd half.
pneumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 AM   #232
JA Adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Thumbs up from me as I've just bought a new wee
JA Adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #233
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,419
pic of orange from show
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=912
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #234
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Adv View Post
Thumbs up from me as I've just bought a new wee
pics???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #235
stoked steve
Tag-o-holic

Oddometer: 626
Pic from above..

Sweet, I can't wait to see one in person and stroke it's faux carbon...

Have any 2012's been sighted yet in a dealership, stateside that is?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #236
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
I guess I could live with an hour to remove the tank. Not something I'd plan on doing very often, but just need to know it could be done. What about other everyday service items - can you get at the air filter pretty quick? And top up the coolant right away?

I can imagine that cleaning carbies on the road would not be easy. But it's the sort of thing you can get done by a local mechanic if travelling in developing countries. They are really resourceful and know what's in a EFI system, but they just don't have the tools or parts (well that was the case in Indo, anyway). And man do you feel like a dick standing next to a high-tech but immobile BMW while hundreds of "low tech" scooters fly past. I ride a two stroke these days.
You MIGHT be able to change the air filter in 10 minutes IF you'd done it before and had small hands and exactly the right size ratchet screwdriver.

Personally, I pull the tank completely off to do it, it's less than an hour doing that anyway.

Coolant is very easy, take the seat off, remove one trim panel and pull the cap from the overflow tank.

Peter
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #237
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,304
I actually ride my 2007 in the dirt so don't want ABS that I cannot shut off. They never addressed the oil cooler hanging out in the open or lines ready to catch a big stone or road kill part! I like the fuel mileage of the 650 engine. They need better wider bars and footpegs which they did not do. They needed a lighter muffler system and standard handguards. So I see no reason to change up to a new one and have to build this one correctly for them also. It is just a UJM streetbike as they send it from the factory. Note that that show bike from OZ already has farkles on it that should be there from Suzuki. The fairing is more ugly....B-King pieced together looking thing to me.The rear is improved.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #238
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

(Broken Record)

Anyone seen one in the United States yet?

My local dealer (not so local, www.larsonscycle.com) said the adv model was supposed to be here last month and the standard model coming this month.

Damn, I'm really temped to get one! Odds as of now 75% buy 25% pass. You only live once. My sportbike days are done. Don't need that much performance anymore. Need a do it all bike. Hopefully I won't miss the horsepower and ability to do 150 mph.

D.T. screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 02:56 PM
Old 12-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #239
txmike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
(Broken Record)

Anyone seen one in the United States yet?

My local dealer said the adv model was supposed to be here last month and the standard model coming this month.

Damn, I'm really temped to get one! Odds as of now 75% buy 25% pass. You only live once. My sportbike days are done. Don't need that much performance anymore. Need a do it all bike. Hopefully I won't miss the horsepower and ability to do 150 mph.
I really like the wee but coming off an r1 i am slowly, very slowly, considering my next bike. I KNOW i will miss the power, but i also know i need something more useful. Compromise, damn i hate that!
txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #240
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

I got to another suzuki dealer today (www.leossouth.com) and asked about the new Wee. They were mostly and WTF looks were on their faces.They said suzuki wasn't even taking orders yet. Suzuki dealers seem to going extinct nowadays.