Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
show off your sewing machine... wait what?

Anyone have a sewing machine to show off... the wife thought I lost it when I picked up a few industrial machines this year.

Juki 563-3 this one needed some machine work.

Singer 111g156

Consew 226. I got to drag this one out of a woman's basement and up the stairs myself

Pfaff 138 and a singer 112w140. I got these off a hot air balloon manufacturer.

jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,515
I don't have a good pic but my friend spent more on having that one tuned/repaired and restored than what I ever (almost) paid for a motorcycle.

Too bad he is a long way from here, I'd have more work for that machine or all the others he owns, Juki included. Next summer....

Before:

And after a few beers,got to be an old(er) pro to still sew straight after that many......

Now where is my pic of him with the beer working with the Juki? .......Oh that's right he didn't like that one he is a little self-conscious about his shiny head.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,967
Man, THOSE are sewing machines. I mean...when you have a huge electric motor and you start sewing by engaging a giant flywheel clutch, that's a sewing MACHINE!

My parents had a bridal business and one grandfather was a furrier in upstate New York in the 1930s. I grew up with industrial sewing machines. I miss them but, just don't have the room or time to need my own. The last project like that was the curtains in the motorhome and that was over ten years ago.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,278
I've been thinking about adding an old, simple industrial sewing machine to my shop.

Something that can handle leather, canvas, etc. There's always little repairs and projects where I think one would come in handy: bike cover; ATV cover; tarp for the utility trailer, busted rifle sling here or there; covers for my welders; ballistic nylon inserts for the hard cases on the RT, etc.

Can anyone recommend a basic, simple but durable one?
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
I got no pics but bought an original never refurbished but fully pro serviced early 60's era Pfaff 130. Works good with canvas and reasonable leather. If needed parts are avail at reasonable prices rather than diving into "Singer Collector machine" prices. For me it's a fun experiment screw around project machine. If I ever went into production making for sale items I'd prolly upgrade to a heavier duty machine if/when the Pfaff gets too tired/expensive to maintain. For home projects though the 130 works great for me. For commercial production grade machines you'll want something like the Juki but yikes even terribly loose worn out industrial grade machines like Juki's, Consews are crazy expense just for the buy-in For home use I'd recommend checking into old non computer Pfaffs. Good tough well built up to the task machines are fun to make stuff with. You don't need the best most expensive machine but you you need a good one if you're dealing with canvas/leather. Grandmas cheap $100 dress making machine ain't worth the grief.
usgser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
I've been thinking about adding an old, simple industrial sewing machine to my shop.

Something that can handle leather, canvas, etc. There's always little repairs and projects where I think one would come in handy: bike cover; ATV cover; tarp for the utility trailer, busted rifle sling here or there; covers for my welders; ballistic nylon inserts for the hard cases on the RT, etc.

The first three I posted are all the same basic pattern compound feed alternate pressing foot "walking foot" machine. They are designed for leather, canvas and any other medium weight materials. Any of them will do what you want and last the rest of your life.

As for price, of those three I paid $145, $65 and $100 respectively.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:32 AM   #7
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,025
Sailrite machines are popular with cruising sailors. Sometimes I wish I had one!

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post

Here is a walking foot machine sewing a rifle sling
www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7OOHBTeyCE

And here are some webbing slings I did with the consew.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Sailrite machines are popular with cruising sailors. Sometimes I wish I had one!
I got one! . Case and heavy flywheel. It will sew great.

I need to redo my boat canvas.

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #10
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,152
I bought this a few years ago when my GF wanted to learn how to sew. I didn't care for the quality of the new Singers. It's a 1955 Singer 301A. The build quality of these old Singers is great. No plastic and everything is easy to work on. It just needed a lot of cleaning. It's super smooth when running at high speed too. Just gotta lube it once in a while. There are half a dozen lube points.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,529
I got fed up with the corporate world this fall and quit, now I am going to try and eek out an existence with thei Phaff 145 my brother gave me. If all goes well and the Phaff doesn't work out I will buy a new Juki.

I'm a little surprise at some of the names I'm seeing in this thread, good stuff lads.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
Bun-bun
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
I bought a New Home treadle sewing machine at an auction in November. Paid $15 for it. The wood top was trashed, the wood coffin box is in decent shape. I pulled the top, steel wooled the rust off of the cast iron base and treadle and gave it a good cleaning. Sprayed a coat of satin clear and put a glass top on it, instant occasional table.
I stuck the machine on a shelf, let my heirs deal with it.
1985 Honda XL600R - sold
Bun-bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,960
I can't sew worth a damn but I can try.
Made curtains for my RV.
First try.

Scroll down for a pic of the machines.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...847293&page=24

So I got that done and just ordered two jugs of Mod Podge, gonna decorate with old maps or some such.

b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #14
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-bun View Post
I bought a New Home treadle sewing machine at an auction in November. Paid $15 for it. The wood top was trashed, the wood coffin box is in decent shape. I pulled the top, steel wooled the rust off of the cast iron base and treadle and gave it a good cleaning. Sprayed a coat of satin clear and put a glass top on it, instant occasional table.
I stuck the machine on a shelf, let my heirs deal with it.
I was just going to ask what one of those things was worth, I have 2 Singers. Now I know.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #15
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,529
Now that we're talking about sewing machines anyone have some links for good canvas forums?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: