ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #241
davsato
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: southern England
Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
Our limit is 495fps, over that it's classed a "firearm" and requires the same permit as any other long gun.
here in the UK the law states a muzzle energy limit, 12ft/lb, above which you need a full firearms license same as if it was a .50BMG. the fps of the pellet is only half of it, as the weight has a lot to do with it too. the RWS superdome or superpoint i quoted above are my usual ammo and both are about 14.5grains, they should come out around 600fps to be legal.

at 1000fps to carry 12ft/lb a pellet would have to weigh only 5grains! this is a pretty good calculator if anyones interested;
http://www.1728.org/energy.htm
__________________
Dave
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #242
4ad
ochlacrat
 
4ad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: mid atlantic...no, not the ocean
Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
here in the UK the law states a muzzle energy limit, 12ft/lb, above which you need a full firearms license same as if it was a .50BMG. the fps of the pellet is only half of it, as the weight has a lot to do with it too. the RWS superdome or superpoint i quoted above are my usual ammo and both are about 14.5grains, they should come out around 600fps to be legal.

at 1000fps to carry 12ft/lb a pellet would have to weigh only 5grains! this is a pretty good calculator if anyones interested;
http://www.1728.org/energy.htm
Is this law really a concern for UK airgunners? With all the modders in this sport I can't see how this law could be enforced at all.....cops/rangers would have to carry around a crony and a gram scale!
__________________
This was all fun banter until 4ad posted a pic of a rapist/murderer.- GP640
4ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #243
P B G
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greater Chicago
Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ad View Post
Is this law really a concern for UK airgunners? With all the modders in this sport I can't see how this law could be enforced at all.....cops/rangers would have to carry around a crony and a gram scale!
Don't folks in the UK have pretty strict permits in terms of where you will use it and for what purpose?

Or can you purchase below that limit with impunity?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 AM   #244
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,436
My QB78 arrived yesterday...sorry no pics yet...too busy actually shooting it.

First thing I noticed was just how nice the wood was....then the weight of the rifle, it actually feels well made. I am not too keen on the gold bolt and trigger, but eh. But the heft of the rifle much more heavy then the springers I am use to.

It shoots real nice...and pretty tight. I am going to put it in a rest and see how it will actually shoot....taking myself as much out of the picture as I can.

So far I am pretty happy with the rifle....thanks for the suggestion.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #245
davsato
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: southern England
Oddometer: 799
sorry guys been on holiday.

firstly, yes air pistols and rifles below the 6-12ft/lb limit can be bought by anyone over 18 with no other checks made. above those limits you need a full firearms certificate which is a PITA to get, also requiring somewhere to use it and a lot of security. you might as well get a .22LR its the same legal hoops to jump through and the weapon would be 1/3rd of the price. officially the law has to show a good reason for you NOT to have a certificate, but thats been turned on its head like most things these days and it feels like youre a criminal deviant just thinking about getting a gun. (strangely you can have a crossbow of any power at 18 with no problems at all, how does that work?).

as to what happens if your gun is tweaked, well, nothing really, all clubs will regularly check members weapons but there is little chance of ever being checked by the cops unless you did something naughty with it and it got confiscated as evidence. then it would be checked and if it was over the limit the charges would be upped to firearms offences rather than a slap on the wrist. if it was under the limit then you might get your rifle back, three months later, scratched to buggery and slightly bent maybe. (one part of this that you lucky americans might not understand is that there are absolutely NO parts of Britain that are not owned by somebody, there are areas of common land anyone can go on but legally you cant shoot anything within 50' of any common land either! so unless you own the land yourself or have specific permission to shoot youre an armed tresspasser/poacher by default)
__________________
Dave
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #246
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
sorry guys been on holiday.

firstly, yes air pistols and rifles below the 6-12ft/lb limit can be bought by anyone over 18 with no other checks made. above those limits you need a full firearms certificate which is a PITA to get, also requiring somewhere to use it and a lot of security. you might as well get a .22LR its the same legal hoops to jump through and the weapon would be 1/3rd of the price. officially the law has to show a good reason for you NOT to have a certificate, but thats been turned on its head like most things these days and it feels like youre a criminal deviant just thinking about getting a gun. (strangely you can have a crossbow of any power at 18 with no problems at all, how does that work?).

as to what happens if your gun is tweaked, well, nothing really, all clubs will regularly check members weapons but there is little chance of ever being checked by the cops unless you did something naughty with it and it got confiscated as evidence. then it would be checked and if it was over the limit the charges would be upped to firearms offences rather than a slap on the wrist. if it was under the limit then you might get your rifle back, three months later, scratched to buggery and slightly bent maybe. (one part of this that you lucky americans might not understand is that there are absolutely NO parts of Britain that are not owned by somebody, there are areas of common land anyone can go on but legally you cant shoot anything within 50' of any common land either! so unless you own the land yourself or have specific permission to shoot youre an armed tresspasser/poacher by default)
Sounds like Robin Hood or something.

Very different.

So far I really enjoy the QB. At under $100 it is (so far) a real good rifle...I still have not put it on the vice, but with me at the trigger I seem to hit what I aim at...well I will say it hits what it is pointed at.

I should have done this long ago...it is also pretty darn quiet....much less noise then the springers I have. You could shoot this in the garage/bacement if you cleaned it out....I have a few too many cars for that.

I have not counted shots but I think I have around 100 on this pair of cartridges and it is loosing its power I can tell now. That is not too bad.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #247
chipgibbs
ChipG
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Manassas, VA
Oddometer: 123
QB Fun

Once your hooked on the QB you should go to "Archer Air guns" and check out the rotary clip, takes about 2 minutes to install it and it just makes the fun funner.
It's also pretty easy to modify the valve for more power if your so inclined.

I shoot mine more than all my other airguns just 'cause it's easy, light, accurate and fun.



__________________
1991 DR650S Dirt Tractor
1989 Harley Davidson Tour Glide Rocket

ChipG
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #248
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgibbs View Post

Where did you purchase your rifle from? That stock is different from anything I've seen along with different muzzle brake. I'm wondering if there's someone else offering custom mods besides Archer Airguns.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #249
barnyard
Verbal tactician
 
barnyard's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: central Mn
Oddometer: 10,686
That stock is a work of art.

Pure wood.
__________________
all around good guy
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:09 AM   #250
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,436
I shot the fool out of the thing this past weekend. Went to Cabelas and picked up a few different kinds of pellets, and did some tests to see if the rifle had one it liked best...it really did not, everything I put in it did real well. I do understand now the oversized bolt handle they offer....I think if I get anything I wll get the larger bolt handle it is pretty hard for me to work the bolt...but that is likely just me...just a little weak.

I also picked up this thing as they had it on sale...it is pretty darn fun as well...for IIRC $30 it was not bad.

__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #251
davsato
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: southern England
Oddometer: 799
that looks like a good target! i find "army men" nailed to a plank are fun too, toy cars, old model kits, (planes strung from trees moving in the wind are great) any old toys the kids have grown out of.

the QB bolt really benefits from a tune up, strip it and even if you do nothing to the rubbish gasflow at least polish all the metal to metal parts. trigger parts too.

re my posts above, i merrily gave mine a thorough tune up and accidentally made it so powerful the pellets skipped the rifling and skirts burst as they came out the muzzle. and the only way i could get it back down to our legal limit was to keep trimming the hammer spring, so you can cock mine with a pinky now
__________________
Dave
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #252
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
that looks like a good target! i find "army men" nailed to a plank are fun too, toy cars, old model kits, (planes strung from trees moving in the wind are great) any old toys the kids have grown out of.

the QB bolt really benefits from a tune up, strip it and even if you do nothing to the rubbish gasflow at least polish all the metal to metal parts. trigger parts too.

re my posts above, i merrily gave mine a thorough tune up and accidentally made it so powerful the pellets skipped the rifling and skirts burst as they came out the muzzle. and the only way i could get it back down to our legal limit was to keep trimming the hammer spring, so you can cock mine with a pinky now
That would be nice...I am going to look into the innerds of it...and perhaps get another one...they are fun.

I looked on archers site and could not find the rotary clip...do you have a link?
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #253
davsato
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: southern England
Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

I looked on archers site and could not find the rotary clip...do you have a link?
had no idea you could even get one.
__________________
Dave
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #254
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,436
Sorry quoted the wrong guy...it was chipgibbs that talked about the rotary clip.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #255
lewismedlock
.
 
lewismedlock's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Bow and Arrow OK.
Oddometer: 12,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
that looks like a good target! i find "army men" nailed to a plank are fun too, toy cars, old model kits, (planes strung from trees moving in the wind are great) any old toys the kids have grown out of.

the QB bolt really benefits from a tune up, strip it and even if you do nothing to the rubbish gasflow at least polish all the metal to metal parts. trigger parts too.

re my posts above, i merrily gave mine a thorough tune up and accidentally made it so powerful the pellets skipped the rifling and skirts burst as they came out the muzzle. and the only way i could get it back down to our legal limit was to keep trimming the hammer spring, so you can cock mine with a pinky now
Years ago a buddy and I went camping with a lot of beer and my Daisy 881. We hung a can from a tree, with the idea that we'd shoot it in half before the weekend was over. We never could make the shots we needed to tear the last little bit of the can, but we had a great time trying.
__________________

lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014