Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #511
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post

Snagged a quick photo after I picked up my tank. Not sure I'll get a chance to take it out tonight, but we'll see.
OF COURSE you will take it out!
use car head lights to light something up
get some to hold a torch
hell, shoot in side!
you telling me that you got all that, set up and you going to put it away and read a book this eveing because....

waiting to hear how it went

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #512
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
you telling me that you got all that, set up and you going to put it away and read a book this eveing because....

waiting to hear how it went
Biggest problem is that I'm at work and I'm trying to finish part of a project so that it's not looming over my head all weekend. I'm a software engineer so everyone thinks all you need to do is feed me some Mt. Dew and pizza and I'll work. Not to far from the truth, but it's unlikely I'll be home tonight until very late.

Next question for those with target style rifles. The stock on this pup is real short. Even with the spacers provided I'd like a little more space. I've seen metal butt hooks which seem to provide more standoff room. True? Who has them?

I'll called Pyramid Air this morning and told them about the shipping screw up. They told me thanks for the call and they would ship out a new order for the gentleman in San Diego and that I should just keep the four tins of pellets on them. Only trouble is that I don't have a .22cal pellet gun. Guess I'll need to buy one.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #513
CBoy808
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
That's a good deal. But bear in mind that the Nitro Venom is somewhat of a howitzer if all you want to do is knock over cans (unless you mean garbage cans). Magnum power is not necessary for backyard plinking and a gun like that will tire you out. And remember that a magnum-powered gun is hard to shoot accurately, especially if it's your first air rifle. A lower-powered gun is less hold-sensitive. As you can see, I'm kinda anti-magnum unless it's used for hunting something bigger than rabbits.

Check this out: The Bronco was designed by the airgun guru Tom Gaylord. It's supposed to be quite a gun for the money ($130) There are plenty of other air rifles in your price range so you should look through Pyramid Air's site.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Ve...13#Description

Thanks for the input. Who doesnt need more power?

You make some good points tho, I'll look at Pyramids site I appreciate the input!
CBoy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #514
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Finally got over to the range. I tried shooting in my backyard this morning and that's going to be harder than I original thought it would be. My dogs seem delighted in trying to walk between me and the target. Yes I can locked them inside, but that has its own problems. If I'm in the backyard and they aren't they create a racket which disturbs everyone inside.

At 25 yards I got the scope sighted in.

The funniest thing were my first three shots. The hole at the 10 was made by three pellets. Each shot I watched the hole get a little larger each time. Then I started getting some flyers. The wind was also gusting which didn't help.

After I had the scope sighting in for 25 yards I moved to 50 yards to see what the grouping would be like.

I didn't make any adjustments to the scope and just aimed for the bullseye each time. The group down in the 4 ring consists of 12 shots. There's a group of 7 which is just over a half inch.

I didn't wash, lube, or separate the pellets based on weight. I'll work on that tonight. I wanted to see what the rifle would do under the worst conditions. These shots were also from a bench, but that's how I'll be shooting for while as I learn the characteristics of the rifle. I want to remove the human element as much as possible.

Needless to say I've very happy with my purchase.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #515
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
The 760 was my first air gun, and I shot the HELL out of that thing. It was used and abused as only a teen boy can do before it finally gave up the ghost. I can't even imagine how many rounds i put through it, but yeah, you're right- they're a great gun for the money.

It was originally my dad's, and many years after I killed off the original 760, I bought him a replacement gun. I stepped up to the Crosman 2100, (around $60), and that too, is one hell of a gun for the money. It's very accurate, as far as off the shelf cheap-Os are concerned. And by that I mean it's never disappointed me for any type of plinking.
The one in the pic is the first air gun I ever had, given to me by my dad in fourth or fifth grade (it was called the 766 at the time). It was my favorite way to show my regard for my mom's psycho appaloosa, and a real tack driver for more serious uses.

My dad forbade me to shoot BB's tthrough it because he maintained they would erode the rifling, even though I really wanted to because of the higher muzzle velocities.

That thing lasted for years.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #516
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Since this thread hasn't seen any activity lately I thought I'd post something.

I've been going to the range during lunches and for the most part punching paper. I've been learning a lot about my Air Arms rifle like which pellets the gun likes, when is it most accurate, etc.

Sometimes punching paper is kind of boring and it's fun to see a target react. So, I've been picking up cases that are laying around the range floor and sitting them upon the top rail of the 25 yard targets. Pistol and rifle cases are easy pickings. .22 rimfire is a wee bit harder to hit. The picture is a .223 case that I hit with a 10.6 grain round nose Crossman Premier. After find this guy I now know why I've never been able to find the .22 cases. I found the case back at the berm which is at 50 yards.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #517
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,786
Bump

Where did everybody go?

You've already seen my Feinwerkbau 300S with the Nikon 3-9 EFR scope...

...the scoped target rifle is good for "sniping" green army men at 20 yards or so. Head shots first, because even with this "low-powered" target rifle, the little fellers get blasted apart with torso shots.

I also like shooting candy that gives a satisfying blast of dust, like Neccos and candy hearts. I know some guys like to shoot aspirin tabs. Spent 9mm cartridges are fun, too. I hear paintballs are fun, but messy.

Mr. B screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 05:55 PM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #518
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Where did everybody go?

I also like shooting candy that gives a satisfying blast of dust, like Neccos and candy hearts. I know some guys like to shoot aspirin tabs. Spent 9mm cartridges are fun, too. I hear paintballs are fun, but messy.

Somewhat off-topic (i.e. normal for me), I have been using the Necco Wafers as 50 yard targets for my Women On Target class (using an old Anschutz 64 and a cheap 4-16x scope). It is great to see the look on their face as a previously non-shooter shatters one (they seem to prefer the pink ones!)
When we were packing up from PD firearms training on Wednesday, I came across a roll of them and showed them to the guys who had just been 'working' to hit a "Q" target with their AR-15s saying 'these are what my beginner students use as targets', to say that it got kind of quiet would be an understatement. It is of course an apples and oranges comparison but .......

I may have to try that paintball idea! Thanks.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #519
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,710
I've been on a Chinese binge lately. I scored a Ruger Air Magnum .177 for $50 at a yard sale. And the same week I bought a QB-57 which I'm currently rebuilding. New glass for both are on the way.

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #520
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Just wanted to a) bump this thread, and b) pass on a good customer service experience with Crosman:

A few pages up, I reviewed my new Nitro Venom. I was juuuuust getting this thing broken in to the point where I was pretty happy with it. And then I really broke it. My fault, misuse- discharged an empty gun with the barrel not locked. I emailed Pyramid Air, they said they don't repair that particular model, so I should contact Crosman directly. I did, asking about a repair option/cost estimate. The woman on the phone asked me when I bought it and what the serial number was. I told her, and she said 'send it to us, we'll put a replacement in the mail.' boom. new rifle arrived last night. Pretty nice. maybe shit is manufactured in China, but the headquarters, support, and phone folks are all here in the US.

happy, dedicated customer here.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #521
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
here's my big bore air rifle .. .458 DAQ ... took me 8 years to make it to Qackenbush's short list. powerful enough to take down a full size buffalo. Lewis & Clarke used a big bore air rifle so there's nothing new about taking big game with air rifles.

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #522
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Is that one shot per fill? I'm just imagining the fumbling that would ensue if your first shot on a now-pissed 'full size buffalo' was a little short of lethal.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #523
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,097
I am still shooting the heck out of that QB air rifle that was suggested, I am more then impressed with it....still can shoot cherries off of the tree. I am very happy with it. I think that is about the best $100 I have ever spent.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #524
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
Is that one shot per fill? I'm just imagining the fumbling that would ensue if your first shot on a now-pissed 'full size buffalo' was a little short of lethal.
here's a detailed lab video of another .458 air rifle starting at 3,200 psi .. they got 7 good shots. but DAQ puts out more ft lb energy so uses more air... three good shots can be counted on for DAQ. I'll start at 3,500 psi .. moa at 100yds, plenty of accuracy for large game.

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #525
HenryFL
Old: Molly

Oddometer: 98
Can't go wrong with AirArms

Big money though. Hammerli is quite cheap and works very well. Add another few hunred for a pump.

You don't need magnum this, 1200fps that. A .22 18.5gr jsb jumbo at 800fps whacks squirrels so hard they spin around. Shoot a wooden fence fifty yards away and it sounds like someone hit it with a hammer.
HenryFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: