User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #541
DNA
Recalculating....

Oddometer: 155
I have a little varmint problem and this thread is giving me all kinds of good ideas.

Sadly - I never see the gophers nor the moles that really make the messes in my yard - just the ground squirrels that are not so bad.

Any suggestions for killing nasty nocturnal diggers?
DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #542
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,724
Moles - traps.
Gophers - bait, traps or gopher blasters (propane).
Or I guess have good hunting cats!

Lot of web articles on trapping 'em... too much info to detail here.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #543
jraugie1
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 458
Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
Try this gentleman:

http://www.springguntunes.com/

Good Luck.
Thanks fubar. I will!

Stop Global Whining!
jraugie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #544
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,813
Recent changes

Much like with my bikes, I'm always buying/selling/trading airguns, and I never seem to keep the same one more than a few years. In the past month I bought one and traded for one.

Now I have a Walther LGV in .22, a Weihrach HW50S in .177 and a Beeman R7 in .177.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #545
Mr. B
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
I've got a crosman/benjamin Viper nitro piston coming in the mail. My first 'real' air gun. I'm curious about break in. I've seen some debate as to whether or not to clean the barrel as a first step, or to simply run 100 rounds through without doing anything. Any thoughts? is this like synth vs dino?
This is in response to an old post, but because I just got a new gun (above) I can demonstrate how dirty, or at least greasy, a new bore can be. The gun was grouping poorly and dieseling before I cleaned the bore. These are just the first few swabs and I ran another five or six through it until they came out fairly clean. The groups tightened up a lot after the cleaning.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #546
withoutaride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Love my RWS Model 48. Consistently shoots over 1200fps and is a tack driver. Miss my Beeman 350 and my walnut stocked Feinwerkbau F124.
withoutaride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #547
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
This is in response to an old post, but because I just got a new gun (above) I can demonstrate how dirty, or at least greasy, a new bore can be. The gun was grouping poorly and dieseling before I cleaned the bore. These are just the first few swabs and I ran another five or six through it until they came out fairly clean. The groups tightened up a lot after the cleaning.
how loud is it

some say its loud some say use heavy pellets and its quiet
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #548
Mr. B
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
how loud is it

some say its loud some say use heavy pellets and its quiet
I was using fairly light 8.18 gr pellets and it didn't seem any louder than other spring guns of this size.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #549
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

thanks
by looks they look like a good buy except, like you everybody finds dirty barrels
maybe ill find a christmas sale
Old 11-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #550
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,583
I haven't had real good results with spring piston air rifles. And I have 2 low end multi pumps that are having problems after less than a year of ownership. A Daisy Model 35 and a Crosman 1377. The Daisy won't pump up to enough pressure, and the Crosman about every 6-8 shots will leak out some air pressure and sound like a dud and leave the pellet in the breech.

I have 3 air guns that have been very reliable. First, a Crosman 1077 CO2 repeating rifle. Pretty accurate and 100% reliable over the 6 years or so I have owned it. Second, my Crosman Custom Shop CO2 carbine. Super accurate and 100% reliable for 4 years or so. And last my Remington Airmaster 77 multi pump rifle. It is the same as the fine Crosman 2100B, and the Remington is made by Crosman. These both have metal receivers. Never undestimate the potential accuracy of a good multi pump. My Remington has been a model of reliability for about 6 years now, and, if my 60 year old self does a good job I can get one hole groups from this gun with Crosman Premier hollow points. These are all scoped. If you have any doubts about the accuracy of the $55 Crosman 2100B read this review:

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/?s=re...&search=Search
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #551
TheHeretic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
I haven't had real good results with spring piston air rifles. And I have 2 low end multi pumps that are having problems after less than a year of ownership. A Daisy Model 35 and a Crosman 1377. The Daisy won't pump up to enough pressure, and the Crosman about every 6-8 shots will leak out some air pressure and sound like a dud and leave the pellet in the breech.

I have 3 air guns that have been very reliable. First, a Crosman 1077 CO2 repeating rifle. Pretty accurate and 100% reliable over the 6 years or so I have owned it. Second, my Crosman Custom Shop CO2 carbine. Super accurate and 100% reliable for 4 years or so. And last my Remington Airmaster 77 multi pump rifle. It is the same as the fine Crosman 2100B, and the Remington is made by Crosman. These both have metal receivers. Never undestimate the potential accuracy of a good multi pump. My Remington has been a model of reliability for about 6 years now, and, if my 60 year old self does a good job I can get one hole groups from this gun with Crosman Premier hollow points. These are all scoped. If you have any doubts about the accuracy of the $55 Crosman 2100B read this review:

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/?s=re...&search=Search
I can attest to the 2100 accuracy. I have numerous air guns in varying degrees of cost and quality but on a lark, I bought a 2100 for about $50.00 just to see what it coud do. Although fairly crude it has really surprized me in accuaracy. I shoot it with open factory sights. Really nice rifle for short money. It takes quite an effort to open the bolt but it seems to get easier with use.
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #552
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I was using fairly light 8.18 gr pellets and it didn't seem any louder than other spring guns of this size.
with 8.2 grain pellets .177 .. NO way you are getting 1200fps with a springer
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #553
Mr. B
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
with 8.2 grain pellets .177 .. NO way you are getting 1200fps with a springer
That was "withoutaride" talking about his RWS48. My HW50S will supposedly shoot around 850FPS in .177--That's plenty fast for me and actually a little faster than I like.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #554
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

i've noticed in the specs that they note that fps is with an alloy and if lead is used its lowers fps
atleast they seem to be honest if you read fine print and look through specs
Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #555
djborden
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
I have a little varmint problem and this thread is giving me all kinds of good ideas.

Sadly - I never see the gophers nor the moles that really make the messes in my yard - just the ground squirrels that are not so bad.

Any suggestions for killing nasty nocturnal diggers?
This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAiTxR7kb7c.

Slo-mo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojoE755RyGs

Something I built with a friend...
djborden is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: