User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #631
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,973
It seems air gunners are a bit divided on whether or not to clean an air rifle.

I decided to clean mine out. The biggest caution being not to use harsh petrochemical solvents to save the seals and whatnot.

I started off with some fishing line, but it was a real PITA to thread into the barrel...

So I read about people using string trimmer line and came up with this simple effective airgun cleaning tool. The most difficult part (and it will be difficult to see in my pic) is the end of the cleaner. I used a heat gun to warm up the trimmer line and then quickly smashed it flat with some smooth pliers. I let it cool and then carefully cut a slot in the wider flat to allow a patch to be pulled through. I even added a second flat/slot so you can pull a soaked patch followed by a dry one in one pull. Simple stuff I had a laying around, Trimmer string, and small piece of 1/2" PVC for a pull handle. You could use a dowel or whatever too.

I was seriously amazed at the muck that came out of my gun. For being an air gun with no powder burning it was pretty dirty. Still shoots accurately.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #632
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,805
[QUOTE
I was seriously amazed at the muck that came out of my gun. For being an air gun with no powder burning it was pretty dirty. Still shoots accurately.[/QUOTE]

I don't doubt that your gun was dirty, but I learned something that keeps me from frequently cleaning my barrel:

Many or most pellets are coated with graphite, and of course this leaves residue in the barrel. If you clean the barrel and then shoot just a few shots, you're going to find graphite--not dirt--on your cleaning patch. That's the stuff that's on your finger tips after a shooting session, too.

I still say you should clean the barrel of a brand new gun, though. The barrel and internals are coated with plenty of grease to protect them while sitting for possibly years in a warehouse.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #633
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,973
Also I got my gun used, so I had no idea if it had ever been cleaned (sure didn't look it).

I doubt the PO had ever cleaned it, but I really don't know.

I don't want to clean it very often, but it really helped with being able to seat the pellets a lot easier.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:23 AM   #634
Cris
AB+

Oddometer: 132
The general rule is that if the gun is not grouping well and all other factors have been ruled out, then clean.

Otherwise a patch lightly coated with MP5 and and followed by a dry patch or two should be fine.
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #635
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
Alrighty, bump time. This thread, and a few particular individuals residing here were very helpful in assisting with my first airgun project- resealing a 1967 Benjamin 317. That project was tricky, but successful. I thought maybe you'd like to see the results. This is in the barn-find, unmolested condition. I may refinish the wood if for some reason all the hundred other projects in my life go away.

Now one other new addition to the vintage family- Crosman 600. Just grabbed it yesterday. Man, this thing is sweet. Semi-auto, super accurate. Only negatives are that it eats a lot of gas and it's loud as hell for an air gun.

groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #636
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,338
nice Benjamin 317 .. used to have one growing up. wish I still have that old air rifle .. killed a lot of critters with that rifle. be sure to leave 2-3 pumps before putting rifle away.

look for CO2 adapters for your pistol .. when you are able to refill with CO2 .. usability goes way up when you don't have to worry about paying for gas cartridges.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:43 AM   #637
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
Alrighty, bump time. This thread, and a few particular individuals residing here were very helpful in assisting with my first airgun project- resealing a 1967 Benjamin 317. That project was tricky, but successful. I thought maybe you'd like to see the results. This is in the barn-find, unmolested condition. I may refinish the wood if for some reason all the hundred other projects in my life go away.

Now one other new addition to the vintage family- Crosman 600. Just grabbed it yesterday. Man, this thing is sweet. Semi-auto, super accurate. Only negatives are that it eats a lot of gas and it's loud as hell for an air gun.

I bought one of those a few years ago & put a kit in it, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I'm guessing the barrel is shot out, any ideas to get it back in shape?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #638
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
I bought one of those a few years ago & put a kit in it, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I'm guessing the barrel is shot out, any ideas to get it back in shape?
I haven't actually shot mine a ton since the rebuild, the iron sights in my dark basement are not easy to see. But, from the little shooting I did do, I feel like mine might be in the same condition. I wasn't getting really any decent groups. Now that the weather is decent and I can move outside, I'll be able to get a better idea of how it's really working. As for freshening the barrel, I have no idea. I assume it would be a remove/replace operation.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #639
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,407
Quote:
I haven't actually shot mine a ton since the rebuild, the iron sights in my dark basement are not easy to see. But, from the little shooting I did do, I feel like mine might be in the same condition. I wasn't getting really any decent groups. Now that the weather is decent and I can move outside, I'll be able to get a better idea of how it's really working. As for freshening the barrel, I have no idea. I assume it would be a remove/replace operation.
That's what I was thinking, but I have zero experience with these rifles.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #640
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

hmmm .. usually Benjamin and Sheridan pump up air rifles are fairly accurate limited to sights. some had peep sights with a few horrible optics thrown in.

try pushing down a few gun cleaning patches or cloth soaked with light gun oil. followed by clean patches until barrel is clean. then see if accuracy improves.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #641
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
Love the revival of the Benji 317! My boy just received his Grampy's 317, that Grampy got on his 11th B-day, 1962. I had shot plenty of small game with that rifle, over the years: squirrels, quail, doves, bullfrogs and a bunch of varmints...
Still looks just like the pic above!

snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #642
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
Just to add something new to the discussion:
I wanted a bigbore airgun, but those babies are SPENDY!!
So, I found a vintage air shotgun that could be converted to bigbore, with special "loads".

I take rock chucks and ground squirrels with this vintage Crossman 1100 Trapmaster.
Using handloaded .38 cal round ball slugs for the 'chucks and the standard shells with #8 shot for the squeek-diggers. The range is between 10 and 25 yards for the smooth-bore "rifle", after 25yds, the .38cal ball is still rolling fast, just not accurately.

This pic isn't mine, but I have the same results with ball loads, smack as flat as a nickle!

Haven't had enough air time with the dicky-birds, to get good at placing the #8 loads...
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #643
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
It seems air gunners are a bit divided on whether or not to clean an air rifle.

I decided to clean mine out. The biggest caution being not to use harsh petrochemical solvents to save the seals and whatnot.

I started off with some fishing line, but it was a real PITA to thread into the barrel...

So I read about people using string trimmer line and came up with this simple effective airgun cleaning tool. The most difficult part (and it will be difficult to see in my pic) is the end of the cleaner. I used a heat gun to warm up the trimmer line and then quickly smashed it flat with some smooth pliers. I let it cool and then carefully cut a slot in the wider flat to allow a patch to be pulled through. I even added a second flat/slot so you can pull a soaked patch followed by a dry one in one pull. Simple stuff I had a laying around, Trimmer string, and small piece of 1/2" PVC for a pull handle. You could use a dowel or whatever too.

I was seriously amazed at the muck that came out of my gun. For being an air gun with no powder burning it was pretty dirty. Still shoots accurately.
I just use a .17 HMR rifle rod with tiny patches on a brass end-

They do get fairly dirty- LOTS of small lead flakes (look like from the mold press/over-run stuff)

there is a fall off in accuracy after a hundred or so shots in may case
(generic gammo, decent $100 rifle)
Old 05-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #644
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
hmmm .. usually Benjamin and Sheridan pump up air rifles are fairly accurate limited to sights. some had peep sights with a few horrible optics thrown in.

try pushing down a few gun cleaning patches or cloth soaked with light gun oil. followed by clean patches until barrel is clean. then see if accuracy improves.
I will do this. The other variable is that I have not dealt with is finding the right pellet for this gun. I've literally put a dozen shots through it since the rebuild, so there's just a lot I don't know yet.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #645
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I will do this. The other variable is that I have not dealt with is finding the right pellet for this gun. I've literally put a dozen shots through it since the rebuild, so there's just a lot I don't know yet.
some airguns are picky about which pellet .. some are not .. luck of the draw.
one exception is .20 cal Sheridan Silver/blue streaks .. have never shot one that didn't like the Benjamin .20 cal pellets.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: