Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #106
chipgibbs
ChipG

Oddometer: 122
Crosman 2240

The Crosman 2240 is an awesome pistol / carbine. You should know that even with tuning, CO2 looses power in the cooler months. Best in temps above 70. Check Crooked Barn or Mountain air for tuned new guns.

ChipG

ChipG
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #107
chipgibbs
ChipG

PS...they hunt too

ChipG
Old 06-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #108
Donster
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
RWS Diana 34. Excellent quality, good accuracy once you learn the springer hold technique, and it will be around for your great-grandkids to play with.
Absolutely. I have an RWS Diana and can't imagine how it could be made any better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #109
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,225
Thanks for the suggestions, I like the looks of the QB line that was suggested...but I worry about the weight...looks like a real rifle. The crosman is just not my cup of tea...not what I am looking for at the moment. I would like a more traditional looking rifle.

Still on the fence but I did have that QB in my cart at least once last night.

Again I am not looking to put 10 shots in one hole....I really just want something to shoot that is light with ZERO recoil so I can just keep shooting while I heal up....or wait to get cut up...what ever they decide. Pop cans, soup cans and paper targets out to a max of about 30feet are going to be it.

Research on the Archer site shows that he seems to be a pretty good place to do business with....I may go that way, but still doing research....only thing on the QB that worries me is the weight.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #110
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgibbs View Post
Check out Archer Airguns. They carry the Chinese QB78 line of bolt action CO2 rifles. There are lots of upgrades available and it is a very easy gun to work on. I have many high dollar airguns and the QB is one I'd never sell. It's just too fun.

ChipG
i have a QB79, with custom stock, similar to above rifle but with larger gas bottle. to be honest, i only use the bottle for plinking because it holds a lot of shots, a 12g quick change from a paintball gun is what i use for hunting. only 30 or so useful shots from a single 12g but thats normally enough anyway, its easy to keep a spare warm in your pocket and the weight saved on the rifle is noticable when youre carrying it around. i also sometimes take off the scope and put a reflex red dot on, for speed.

these rifles come with shocking seals from china but are really cheap and easy to tweak. the trigger, seals, gas ports, spring ratios, it all benefits from a tune up, so much so i had to detune mine when it all went a bit far. as you may be aware theres a 12ft/lb power limit here, starting at 6ft/lb out of the box, with a bit of work (nothing drastic) mine went up to 25+ and some pellet skirts blew apart in the barrel!
at 11.5ft/lb@room temp mine is better than i can shoot, if i miss a pidgeons head at 30yds i know its me, not the rifle
Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #111
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
i have a QB79, with custom stock, similar to above rifle but with larger gas bottle. to be honest, i only use the bottle for plinking because it holds a lot of shots, a 12g quick change from a paintball gun is what i use for hunting. only 30 or so useful shots from a single 12g but thats normally enough anyway, its easy to keep a spare warm in your pocket and the weight saved on the rifle is noticable when youre carrying it around. i also sometimes take off the scope and put a reflex red dot on, for speed.

these rifles come with shocking seals from china but are really cheap and easy to tweak. the trigger, seals, gas ports, spring ratios, it all benefits from a tune up, so much so i had to detune mine when it all went a bit far. as you may be aware theres a 12ft/lb power limit here, starting at 6ft/lb out of the box, with a bit of work (nothing drastic) mine went up to 25+ and some pellet skirts blew apart in the barrel!
at 11.5ft/lb@room temp mine is better than i can shoot, if i miss a pidgeons head at 30yds i know its me, not the rifle
Ok...question here:

The site says that you have to use 2 12g cartridges....and that is what put me off a little. Is there a way to use just 1...sounds like that is what you are doing.

Again I am going to sit on my front steps and shoot for about 30 min max before I get tired,sore and have to come in....using 2 cartridges for such a short session seems a waste.....that is my only real hangup with this rifle.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #112
chipgibbs
ChipG

2 -12g cartridges

Is there some reason you think you need to leave the airgun empty? Leaving the gun pressurized keeps the seals sealed. If you leave it empty, the seals dry up and shrink as they are exposed to air etc. The 2 carts just means you don't have to change them out as often. It does not provide higher velocity.
You can always put 1 expired cart & 1 new cart in the gun without any problems.

ChipG

ChipG
Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #113
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgibbs View Post
Is there some reason you think you need to leave the airgun empty? Leaving the gun pressurized keeps the seals sealed. If you leave it empty, the seals dry up and shrink as they are exposed to air etc. The 2 carts just means you don't have to change them out as often. It does not provide higher velocity.
You can always put 1 expired cart & 1 new cart in the gun without any problems.

ChipG
Thanks....I am getting very close on this...I will keep you all updated.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #114
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,710
My needs are:
-Compact
-Repeating (5-10 shots)
-non lethal to racoons (but makes them think twice about coming back)
-relatively quiet

I have raccoons coming to my home and going through my garbage. I have locking tops on the garbage cans but the kids sometimes forget to snap them and really the larger raccoons can still open them. I have a Daisy 15-shot CO2 pistol that I keep handy but it has two problems. One, by the time I hear the raccoon, pierce the cartridge (already have the BBs in the gun though) and get out there, it's sometimes too late. Two, the other night I caught one that took all 15 shots and just stayed there hissing at me! I grabbed a hockey stick (I live in Canada eh!) and did a nice slapshot into his backside but I was barefoot in my underwear so it woulda been less than comical if hadn't run away.

I have chased bears up trees and chased wolves away but these raccoons are like honeybadgers, they just don't give a shit! I want something that will sting them repeatedly so that they won't come back. I live next door, to a horse racing track and my neighbor has a dozen race horses in his barn so it needs to be quiet. I have a 22LR Ruger Mark II but I can't start shooting that in the middle of the night and not just because of the horses. I also have a Crosman 8-shot .177 pellet pistol and I have thought about going out wielding both of them gangster-style but that's two CO2 cylinders and more time wasted. I also have a Crosman Phantom .177 break barrel but it's single shot and a bit long to shoot from the hip.

I built a wooden box that worked for the raccoons but a bear tore it to crap one night so now I just want to shoot the bastards.

So what do I get?

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #115
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Have you thought about a paintball gun? It wouldn't kill 'em, but it would hurt.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #116
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

I have found coons and opossum's to be some of the more nasty....NASTY things I have come across....If I where you I would error on the side of caution that says if a wild critter does not show fear of humans take care....first thing that pops to my head is rabid critter. Only time one has not tried to leave is when he was trapped....If he is willing to go mono-a-mono with you something I don't think is quite right....or at least not worth taking the chance.

Actually what I would do is talk to your horse neighbor tell him what is going on....tell him your story about this critter not being afraid of you and that you as a parent are going to shoot the thing with your 22 the next time you see him....For your kids safety. I would bet that he will agree with you for his horses safety as well.

My two bits......

one other thing...they are not going to leave...they know there is easy food there and they will keep coming back till there is no more food or they are dead.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #117
4ad
ochlacrat

Oddometer: 2,592
Raccoons & Possums

I've been at war with coons ,possums & tree rats trying to live in/under my old house for quite a few years. I'm in an urban (middle of the the city) neighborhood so sound is def an issue. I used to trap the coons & possums and transport them...but unless you take them 10+ miles away , the same ones always come back...so now I trap them, dispatch em in the trap with my .22 suppressed Stoeger, wrap em in a couple of trash bags and toss them in a citycan, job done.

I'd be wary of just "stinging" them as they could develop disease etc...something you DON"T want hanging around your house.

For the squirrels, my .177 Crosman 2400 (suppressed) is perfect. I can take easy head shots at 30 yds with the loudest sound coming from it when it hits the ground.

Be wary of those cheap traps ...as the first coon you trap will tear the fuck out of it.

4ad screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 09:05 AM
4ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #118
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,072
I've been looking at a BSA Lightning XL for squirrels and these fucking shit-squirting grackles.

Anyone have any experience with the Lightning XL in the varmint sniping role??

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #119
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Actually what I would do is talk to your horse neighbor tell him what is going on....tell him your story about this critter not being afraid of you and that you as a parent are going to shoot the thing with your 22 the next time you see him....For your kids safety. I would bet that he will agree with you for his horses safety as well.
I kinda cornered him so I guess he didn't have much choice, I don't think he was rabid. But why take a chance right? I am going to dispatch him when he comes back AND build a much stronger box for the garbage. It will probably only take one shot from the 22 anyway.

Quote:
one other thing...they are not going to leave...they know there is easy food there and they will keep coming back till there is no more food or they are dead.
Yeah, dead sounds good to me.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #120
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Ok...question here:

The site says that you have to use 2 12g cartridges....and that is what put me off a little. Is there a way to use just 1...sounds like that is what you are doing.

Again I am going to sit on my front steps and shoot for about 30 min max before I get tired,sore and have to come in....using 2 cartridges for such a short session seems a waste.....that is my only real hangup with this rifle.
if you google QB78 and QB79 you will see that my 79 has a much shorter forend where a bottle screws into the receiver. on the 78 two 12g powerlets drop inside that knurled cap that you see at the front of the rifle in the pic above. the thread of the receiver on the 79 (1/2" BSP) allows a few options of gassing that the 78 doesnt have. the rifle comes with an adaptor for 88g CO2 bottles, without the adaptor a standard paintball bottle screws straight in, up to a 20oz, but that is very heavy on the forend. a paintball gun's quickchange also screws straight in, allowing the use of single 12g powerlets.
with a tuned gun, with good seals that dont waste any gas, i get 30 or so full power shots from one 12g, which is pretty good i think. its a .22 btw.

oh, and you wont get sore, polished up action with tuned springs gives you little finger cocking, and being a PCP you dont feel any recoil.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: