Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #76
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
ecu and pipe didnt fix this? i was close to getting a ms thinking this was a fix for low speed
ECU reflash cured most of it. Adding Fat Ducs fixed the rest. Now she is very smooth. It was just frustrating owning the bike for 7 months without a fix for the problem which almost caused me to unload the bike.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #77
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Nice comparison but remember that the KTM has that external oil tank. My RC51 did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesmt View Post

Like this. Bleu is the Honda VTR 1000 engine, green is Suzuki TL 1000 / Vstrom 1000
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #78
zimm
KTM

Oddometer: 150
I looked at the Kawai 1000 and FZ 1. Bought an '07 FZ1 last year, put a bunch of money in it (shock, exhaust, EFI/computer mods, etc) and still didn't like it. Not THAT comfortable, HP is too high on the RPM range, and it was very clunky shifting around town. I just sold it and pick up the 990 SMT Saturday.

The Ducati is just too expensive and ugly for what you get over the KTM. I don't need traction control- I don't spin the rear tire. ABS is nice. I wouldn't get the Ohlins anyway- $20k is way too much. I set my suspension and forget it.

Gone: '89 Honda Hawk GT650, '98 Honda VTR1000F, 2007 BMW R1200S, 2008 Harley Night Rod Special, 2007 Yamaha FZ1, 2008 KTM 300XC-W(e), 2008 KTM 690 SMC
zimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #79
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
I looked at the Kawai 1000 and FZ 1. Bought an '07 FZ1 last year, put a bunch of money in it (shock, exhaust, EFI/computer mods, etc) and still didn't like it. Not THAT comfortable, HP is too high on the RPM range,.
i came to the same conclusion the other day, my 90 horse ktm twin is just way more fun. It should be an amazing high speed cruiser but the high frequency vibrations are annoying. I like v twins and the triumph tripplle is really nice too
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #80
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
You must have realized by now that this thread started as a comparo but turned into praise KTM and shit on Ducati.
Bottom line IS: The MTS1200 is twice the bike at one plus one half the price, but if they can only spring for the KTM then they must convince themself by convincing others that their choice is the better one, how else can they go on living. I especially loved the comment about the Termignoni tax which KTM does NOT have. Really? The bike with one third more horsepower needs a Termignoni tax? And the KTM doesn't? I suppose Ducatis need the Ohlins tax too. What crack of shit. About this, the SMT is great bike at a good price, BUT if you want more power and Ohlins step up to the MTS. I also loved the comment about the SMT having better suspension than the MTS standard which rides on top shelf Marzocchi fork. The crock is full.
Thanks for clearing that up!
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #81
Ultra54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
You must have realized by now that this thread started as a comparo but turned into praise KTM and shit on Ducati.
Bottom line IS: The MTS1200 is twice the bike at one plus one half the price, but if they can only spring for the KTM then they must convince themself by convincing others that their choice is the better one, how else can they go on living. I especially loved the comment about the Termignoni tax which KTM does NOT have. Really? The bike with one third more horsepower needs a Termignoni tax? And the KTM doesn't? I suppose Ducatis need the Ohlins tax too. What crack of shit. About this, the SMT is great bike at a good price, BUT if you want more power and Ohlins step up to the MTS. I also loved the comment about the SMT having better suspension than the MTS standard which rides on top shelf Marzocchi fork. The crock is full.
Not true. The person just asked for opinions and he got them. If you feel more people are coming across to you as favouring the KTM I can assure you it isn't a conspiracy against Ducati, rather just people trying to give their honest opinion. You get defensive like you made the bike yourself when it was only a purchase decision. Like I said, I've owned both brands and for me the 5 grand extra wasn't worth it. If both bikes were the same price I would have gone for the MTS as I feel it is certainly better, although I've never tried one. My Monster was a great bike but the Ohlins suspension on it wasn't near as sorted as the SMT. Yes, I realize it has little to do with the MTS but I don't know if you appreciate how good WP stuff is. I hope Ducati has improved their manuals and lack of tools with there bike also. My Monster has zero set up info, not even ride hight and not even a tool to adjust the chain tension.
Ultra54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #82
julesmt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Nice comparison but remember that the KTM has that external oil tank. My RC51 did not.
A sepperate dry sump oil tank can be positioned everywhere on the bike, giving more packaging / weight distribution options. Also the engine can be mounted lower in the frame because there`s no oil sump.
julesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #83
flienlow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Slab Jacking

I swear, the designer of the Multistrada 1200s must of had a picture of me on his desk and said "what does this guy want in a motorcycle?" He then proceeded to design the worlds coolest motorcycle for me. BUT THEN...The Ducati marketing department called the state Auditor's office and priced me out of the god damn thing! A fully loaded S (which is what everyone seems to have) is about $23,500 where I'm from. Maybe its just me, but for $23,500, it needs to pack my family to Costco and Haul a dog.

That being said. How does the less expensive SMT do on Road trips? Has anyone taken it on a multi-day 3000 mile trip?
For me it would be 80% hooligan/commuter, 20% road trip, 0% dirt/adventure.
flienlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #84
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
That being said. How does the less expensive SMT do on Road trips? Has anyone taken it on a multi-day 3000 mile trip?
For me it would be 80% hooligan/commuter, 20% road trip, 0% dirt/adventure.
Fantastic. I've ridden mine from Seattle to Salt Lake (Miller) and Seattle to Monterey (Laguna). There were a couple 600 mile days in those trips as well. It did great. A new seat might be a little better, but the stock one wasn't too bad.

Motos are personal, but I think the SMT is a better bike (and I'm the ex-Ducati DOC president for the local club, and have ridden the MTS a couple times). It has plenty of power, even if it's less than the MTS...but it's also lighter which is nice. The handling is absolutely amazing...nothing compares IMO.

It also comes with a useful tool kit, and a manual that actually has good info in it like suspension settings, torque values, maintenance procedures, etc.
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #85
flienlow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGeo View Post
Fantastic. I've ridden mine from Seattle to Salt Lake (Miller) and Seattle to Monterey (Laguna). There were a couple 600 mile days in those trips as well. It did great. A new seat might be a little better, but the stock one wasn't too bad.

Motos are personal, but I think the SMT is a better bike (and I'm the ex-Ducati DOC president for the local club, and have ridden the MTS a couple times). It has plenty of power, even if it's less than the MTS...but it's also lighter which is nice. The handling is absolutely amazing...nothing compares IMO.

It also comes with a useful tool kit, and a manual that actually has good info in it like suspension settings, torque values, maintenance procedures, etc.
Keep going! I'm liking the sound of this more and more. If fact those are the 2 road trips I would like to do this year.
flienlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:49 AM   #86
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,668
vibes

Quote:
i came to the same conclusion the other day, my 90 horse ktm twin is just way more fun. It should be an amazing high speed cruiser but the high frequency vibrations are annoying. I like v twins and the triumph tripplle is really nice too
I find this statement on vibes a bit strange. My 950 is buttery smooth. I think vibes on the lc8 have more to do with maintenance than anything else.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:24 AM   #87
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I find this statement on vibes a bit strange. My 950 is buttery smooth. I think vibes on the lc8 have more to do with maintenance than anything else.
i agree, i was referring to my 140 hp fazer which is not that much fun to ride despite the power. Seems like twins are just more relaxing
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:46 AM   #88
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,668
Quote:
i agree, i was referring to my 140 hp fazer which is not that much fun to ride despite the power. Seems like twins are just more relaxing
Oh I see, my bad!
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #89
Falcon4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
hahaha, really,??
Is this hating on the Duc?-

"The MTS is the best looking bike out there to me. I'm pretty sure I got the right bike, but sure do like the looks and specs on the 1200. The lighter SMT probably has the handling edge, with the power edge going to the MTS, so depends on which you value more. The KtM also looks better than the MTS with a little dirt on it as well, lol."

Now saying the MTS is twice the bike;
that really gives your cred a major hit, lol.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #90
Falcon4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
is your map stock?
mine has a slight rough spot around 5k.