Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #91
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
I swear, the designer of the Multistrada 1200s must of had a picture of me on his desk and said "what does this guy want in a motorcycle?" He then proceeded to design the worlds coolest motorcycle for me. BUT THEN...The Ducati marketing department called the state Auditor's office and priced me out of the god damn thing! A fully loaded S (which is what everyone seems to have) is about $23,500 where I'm from. Maybe its just me, but for $23,500, it needs to pack my family to Costco and Haul a dog.

That being said. How does the less expensive SMT do on Road trips? Has anyone taken it on a multi-day 3000 mile trip?
For me it would be 80% hooligan/commuter, 20% road trip, 0% dirt/adventure.

Me too, except I took the plunge and bought a standard model and am really happy with it, its been everything I hoped it would be. I thought about waiting for a used one to show up but once that "new bike" bug bites its hard to avoid giving in. I'm not going to get into the whole bike bashing thing, but I got mine for about 8k (otd) less than the ballpark you are looking at. Sure I dont have the electronic suspension but I figured that old saying about never missing what you never had would apply perfectly to my situation...and it has.

The MTS does make a great touring bike once you get the windshield thing solved (for your personal preference). Also as far as commuting, I commute every day (unless its really nasty in the am, going home I dont care what the weather is like but I dont like to show up at work looking like a drown rat) and have no problems with the clutch being heavy and wearing out the left hand or the throttle being twitchy in traffic. The motor is pure magic, and no I didn't pay a "termignoni tax". The motor is what sold me on the bike; great power, and sweet low end torque. One test ride and I was hooked.

This past summer I slabbed it up to Detroit w/o a problem and then on the way back I jumped over to West Virginia and took mountain roads all the way back home. It was comfortable on the way up and allowed my inner jackass to really shine on the way back.

As for the KTM, I'm not going to say anything. I've never ridden one so anything I'd say would be hearsay or me just making crap up....

SayItAintSo screwed with this post 10-28-2011 at 12:25 PM
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #92
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
SayItAintSo,

Just curious, what was your longest mileage day from FL to Detroit, average MPG, did you change the seat and which screen did you end up with?

THANKS,
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #93
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE View Post
SayItAintSo,

Just curious, what was your longest mileage day from FL to Detroit, average MPG, did you change the seat and which screen did you end up with?

THANKS,

I went straight through, doing a IBA saddle sore 1000 in about 15-16 hours, total I think it was 1,100 miles or so. On the way back I split it into two days b/c of the slower speeds and more miles going through the mountains. The Mulit will run 85+ all day long without any sweat, no annoying vibes that make you go numb in the hands/wrists or in the "doodads"

As for the windshield I got a Madstad adjustable one, imo best farkle out there (no matter what bike you ride) if you ask me. You can easily lower it and lay it back for more air on hot days and then raise it and stand it up straight up to block most of the wind on cold days. Another farkle that I put on and really like are the 30mm bar risers.

No change on the seat, the stock saddle is really comfortable. Probably about 95-99% of my Uly seat (which is the most comfortable saddle I've ever used). About the only aftermarket saddle I've never used is a Russel and both the stock seats of the Uly and Multistrada are better than anything else I've ridden on.

The only thing I wish I'd had was some way to stretch my legs out forward after about 10-12 hours. I'm putting crash bars on soon and going to find something to hang on them that will let me rest my legs out front.

Gas mileage is directly related to my wrist. On the slab it was in the middle/high 40's (probably averaged 46-47)and in the mountains it was the low 30's (32-33).
Old 10-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #94
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
990 vs 1200

Sayitaintso is pretty right on with the MTS. I have both a 1200 MTS std and 990SMT non abs. IMO both are great bikes but quite different. I came to these from an 1100MTS and a 950 Adventure and both are a significant improvement over the previous bikes and different tools for different jobs. I find the standard MTS to have plenty of suspension adjustability and my only real complaint the the Duc is too much electronics. Once the suspension is set, it stays pretty much the same except for preload when 2 up. Same with the engine mapping, it just stays on sport.

For longer rides, faster rides, two up, the MTS has the motor and is a great do all bike. The 990 is smaller, lighter, even more flickable and a simpler, more pure fun ride with great suspension and decent range.

You need to ride both and really understand what you want out of the bike. Both are awesome but quite different personalities. The MTS motor is pretty outstanding, way over the top for street riding but a great and memorable ride.

The SMT is possibly more pure fun. I have my SMT somewhat stripped of extras so it is more like SM with a larger tank and better seat.

You do not need to change cans but both bikes feel better with aftermarket exhaust. The reduction in weight at the rear of the bikes is a benefit to almost all bikes.

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #95
Falcon4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
Sayitaintso is pretty right on with the MTS. I have both a 1200 MTS std and 990SMT non abs. IMO both are great bikes but quite different. I came to these from an 1100MTS and a 950 Adventure and both are a significant improvement over the previous bikes and different tools for different jobs. I find the standard MTS to have plenty of suspension adjustability and my only real complaint the the Duc is too much electronics. Once the suspension is set, it stays pretty much the same except for preload when 2 up. Same with the engine mapping, it just stays on sport.

For longer rides, faster rides, two up, the MTS has the motor and is a great do all bike. The 990 is smaller, lighter, even more flickable and a simpler, more pure fun ride with great suspension and decent range.

You need to ride both and really understand what you want out of the bike. Both are awesome but quite different personalities. The MTS motor is pretty outstanding, way over the top for street riding but a great and memorable ride.

The SMT is possibly more pure fun. I have my SMT somewhat stripped of extras so it is more like SM with a larger tank and better seat.

You do not need to change cans but both bikes feel better with aftermarket exhaust. The reduction in weight at the rear of the bikes is a benefit to almost all bikes.
Great review and happens to confirm most of what I anticipated of the bikes
before I decided to go with the SMT. Only surprise is how good you guys say
the seat is on the MTS. Glad I didn't know, or I would have been very temped
to spend more. : ) I also figured it would be easier to trade up in price, if later
I decided to try the MTS for awhile.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #96
Ultra54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:

Might just as well close this thread cuz you aren't going to find a better post on this subject.
Ultra54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #97
flienlow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Rode the 1200S

I don't know what the fuck is a matter with me, but I just rode the Multistrada S yesterday, I really didnt like it.
2 years ago I thought it was a Demon, best bike I have every been on. Yesterday...Not so much. And it was a great price. 3000 miles for $15,500.
flienlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:46 AM   #98
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
I really didnt like it. .
i was expecting low end grunt and smoothness like the hyper, i had a blast on that bike and didnt really care abouth the lack of top end. Multi did handle well though
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:53 AM   #99
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4 View Post
is your map stock?
mine has a slight rough spot around 5k.
It is carbed featuring H2W jetkit and akras with db silencers.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #100
-GREG-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
i was expecting low end grunt and smoothness like the hyper, i had a blast on that bike and didnt really care abouth the lack of top end. Multi did handle well though
Low end grunt? That's really odd because my MTS has all the low end grunt I want. It is hard to keep the front tire on the ground and it eats rear tires for lunch.
-GREG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #101
flienlow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GREG- View Post
Low end grunt? That's really odd because my MTS has all the low end grunt I want. It is hard to keep the front tire on the ground and it eats rear tires for lunch.
Greg- do you have or need bar risers on your MTS? I found the bar position to be WAY to low, but with all the electronics, it doesnt look like I could put risers on it.
flienlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #102
-GREG-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Greg- do you have or need bar risers on your MTS? I found the bar position to be WAY to low, but with all the electronics, it doesnt look like I could put risers on it.
I do have risers on mine. They were on it when I bought it and I have yet to take them off.
-GREG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 AM   #103
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Quote:
I put 30mm risers on mine that I got from from Twisted Throttle. I didn't need to make any changes to the cables, there was more than enough slack.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #104
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GREG- View Post
Riding a Hyper EVO SP and MTS12 Touring here, for sure the Multi cooks on the low end, but as light as the MTS12 is, the almost 50lbs less weight of the Hyper is part of the shoot-out-of-the-curve equation, and that delicious air-cooled engine is nothing to sneeze at. But neither is the Multi's.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #105
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Keep going! I'm liking the sound of this more and more. If fact those are the 2 road trips I would like to do this year.
Your welcome to come across the lake and have a look at mine, and I'll tell you everything I can. Fantastic bike, but it's for sale as I'm getting out of street riding and focusing on racing.
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote