Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #136
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Anyone know if there's an extension cable that will work with the SR10's headset jack? I just got the Kenwood cable (dual-pin) and I don't think the 9" is going to cut it as far as reaching the SR10 that's under my seat.
last I heard they were going to sell a uneversial cable so us Hams can wire our own jacks on the end. You could extend that one.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #137
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
last I heard they were going to sell a uneversial cable so us Hams can wire our own jacks on the end. You could extend that one.
That cable is up on thier site (link). It doesn't help much, as it's still only 9" long, and I'd have to attach the dual Kenwood jack anyway. Seems like a PITA to have to go through all this. Based on the info in the link, I should be able to use a 'Hirose 6-pin' extension cable, but the only one I can find is $90 for a 3' cable! If I can figure out the correct 6-pin adapters, I should be able to get them and make an extension cable for around $25.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #138
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
That cable is up on thier site (link). It doesn't help much, as it's still only 9" long, and I'd have to attach the dual Kenwood jack anyway. Seems like a PITA to have to go through all this. Based on the info in the link, I should be able to use a 'Hirose 6-pin' extension cable, but the only one I can find is $90 for a 3' cable! If I can figure out the correct 6-pin adapters, I should be able to get them and make an extension cable for around $25.
What about a kenwood extension cable? Do they even make one? That might be cheaper on that end. Basically a cable that has female hookup on one end and a male on the other just to extend what you already have?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #139
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
What about a kenwood extension cable? Do they even make one? That might be cheaper on that end. Basically a cable that has female hookup on one end and a male on the other just to extend what you already have?
I'll have to look into that... It seemed like an odd thing to have (with the dual pin), but I suppose it's possible.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #140
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Check those cell phone chargers for causing interference!

I wanted to respond to this thread as I discovered some interesting things today. My buddy and I just both got our SR10's wired up yesterday to connect to our FTM-10 radio's and used them today on a bicycle ride event. We both have Sena SMH10's, and now SR10's and he's get the FTM-10R, and I have the FTM-10SR.

Previous to this, we both were just doing direct BT connections form the SMH10 to the BU-1 chip in the FTM-10, but neither one of us liked the toggle effect to key up the radio, nor the fact the audio connection stays open 100% of the time when you do it that way.

We had 2 different issues we found today. He did some audio testing on his yesterday and it sounded good, but then today, he had a horrible feedback in the background. It was so bad, at times no one could understand him. He was just about to revert back to his direct BT connection when him and I met up and I noticed he had his SR10 plugged into a cig plug and sure enough when he unplugged it and ran off the SR10 battery, his issues went away. Since the SR10 battery life is so good, there really is no reason to actually run the SR10 powered off a USB plug IMOP. Just charge it up when you are stopped.

My issue was also interference, but not from what I expected. I have 2 cell phones and most times, I keep them plugged in on a bike, especially on an event like this where I'm running APRS off one cell phone and GPS/maps off another one. To charge my phones, I have one of those 2 port USB cig plugs with a 1A charger and a 2.1A on the other slot. That is plugged into a 3 port cigarette adapter that is connected directly to my battery tender plug. I run my GPS off there too. Well I noticed today I was constantly dropping the repeater in places I shouldn't have been and even at times couldn't even hold a steady connection to the repeater it when I wasn't that far away. I started unplugging stuff to trouble shoot my setup and realized this cheap little 2 port USB charger plug I use to charge my phones is a huge culprit in interference. Not only does it severely cut down my receive audio and distance, it drastically reduces my transmit audio also. One of the cell phones wasn't even BT into the equation, and the other was only BT directly to the Sena SMH10 headset, so neither one was directly connected to the SR10, but just being plugged in and that close to the bike electrical stuff was enough to cause issues and introduce all that feed back into the system. I tried another buddies 2 prong plug also, but his did the same thing. It was actually pretty amazing how much it affected the setup, just plugging in the phones. I ended up just leaving my cell phones unplugged until I stopped and then would give them a boost so I could make it through the day on them.

So make sure you check and verify other items powered off your bike because I would not have expected one of those cell phone charges to cause so much issues since it really isn't tied into the ham radio part of the equation.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #141
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Funny... I was playing with my setup today as well. Got a 5/8 2M/440 Larsen antenna mounted up the other day just clamped to the passenger grab bar on my bike and am seeing ~1.4 on an SWR meter. Not bad for a mobile, I think. I just picked up an adapter I needed this afternoon to finally get it all connected together.

I haven't had much luck finding the extension cable for the SENA headset. Found one made for a security camera that seemed like it would work but they wanted $95 for it. I ended up just moving my SR10 from under the seat to the handlebars. The setup isn't as secure, and I now have a lot of wires on the handlebars, but what are you going to do? When I did so, I did notice that when I tried to exclude the Ground Loop Isolator from the Montana > SR10 connection I was getting feedback with the SR10 wired, so I wired the isolator back in, because I like the fact the SR10 turns on/off with the bike. (I used this Ground Loop Isolator, btw...). I didn't try transmitting because I was in the garage with a T-storm going on, but I'll try tomorrow.

One thing that's not in the loop yet is I don't have a power connection to the radio (Kenwood TH-D72A HT, btw), so I'm just running that off it's own battery for now. But, I'm hoping the 'filtered' cigarette lighter adapter won't cause the same ground loop issues I was seeing with the Montana.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #142
TowPro
Getting there

[QUOTE=lmychajluk;21387001 I ended up just moving my SR10 from under the seat to the handlebars. The setup isn't as secure, [/QUOTE]

But who really knows what an SR10 is? sometimes I leave mine turned on when I run in the store, the red or blue flashing lights looks like some kind of alarms that transmits to the rider when someone messes with the bike.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #143
TowPro
Getting there

Software 1.2

I was just going over all my equipment before next weekends ride and found this.

CHANGES ======= - Enhancements in battery management - Minor Bug fixes in interoperability with phones REVISION HISTORY ================ 1.1 January 2, 2012 - Support Voice Command function of mobile phones - Support multiple point Bluetooth headsets - Temporary disconnection of Bluetooth audio channel

Also, on 1.1, what is Support multiple point bluetooth headsets?
does that mean I can interface it with both my SMH-10's :)

Old 05-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #144
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I was just going over all my equipment before next weekends ride and found this.

CHANGES ======= - Enhancements in battery management - Minor Bug fixes in interoperability with phones REVISION HISTORY ================ 1.1 January 2, 2012 - Support Voice Command function of mobile phones - Support multiple point Bluetooth headsets - Temporary disconnection of Bluetooth audio channel

Also, on 1.1, what is Support multiple point bluetooth headsets?
does that mean I can interface it with both my SMH-10's :)

I just upgraded mine to 1.2 last week also, but I didn't pay attention to the updates.

That could mean it might just remember more than 1 BT headset, but I think it did that already? Maybe it can support 2 headsets now?

I like the support for the Voice command added in.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #145
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,850
Has this happened to anyone else?

Normal offroad use but with a regular diet of corrugations (washboards) which I guess has rattled the lock nut off. I can see the lock nut inside the casing. Quite disappointed as I will now be up for my 2nd return to Sena for warranty/quality issues... international postage is not cheap (which I am required to pay both directions).

farcall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #146
nickhlx
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb Interfacing the SR10 - help needed

I am trying to interface the SR10 using the SR-A0116 cable, for which I have the pinout for the four cores, but no circuit details, i.e. whether I need to use any resistors / isolating caps in the mic and speaker leads, and whether the PTT line needs a resistor - presumably it goes to "ground" when the PTT is pressed ?

Appreciate any help

Thanks,

Nick
nickhlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #147
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhlx View Post
I am trying to interface the SR10 using the SR-A0116 cable, for which I have the pinout for the four cores, but no circuit details, i.e. whether I need to use any resistors / isolating caps in the mic and speaker leads, and whether the PTT line needs a resistor - presumably it goes to "ground" when the PTT is pressed ?

Appreciate any help

Thanks,

Nick
http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/acc_SC-A0116.php

I would expect the SR10 to connect ground (pin 6 black) to PTT (pin 4 brown) when in transmit mode.
(This gound is more of a common and will probably be isolated from your bike ground. But if the SR10 is powered off the bike, this might really be common ground with the bike.)

Plug the cable in, turn the SR10 on, and put an ohm meter between the 2 wires, then push the SR10 PTT button and see if you have continuity.

Now depending on your radio, some Some radios have 3 wires and use PTT to send ground through a resistor to the MIC line on the radio to cause transmit. (I think my Kenwood 2m rig is that way)
Others have 4 wires, MIC, Audio, Ground and PTT.

one tip I can give (coming from the Autocom world is "if you have the SR10 on 12v power, and your transmitter on 12V power, you risk a chance of ground loop audio hum while transmitting (or sometimes receiving)
But I have ridden all day and the SR10 battery was still alive so I never plugged the SR10 into power.
But the radio don't last more then a couple hours so it needs power.

TowPro screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 07:28 PM
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #148
nickhlx
n00b

Oddometer: 2
SR10 help

Thanks for the quick reply, Towpro

It is a FT60 I am using with it on 70 cms at the moment but want to make up leads for one or two others, and understand what the SR10 needs to "see". I make up J-Stick antennas for 70 cms, stick to the inside of the screen, and mount the transceiver on the handlebars next to the Zumo 550 all of which works brilliantly.

Also come from Autocom over the last 6 years, but was so impressed with a loan of one with the bluetooth headset, I have just bought a new SR10 and SMH10 to slowly move over to. The Hirose connectors are a bit fiddly to stick a meter probe into and measure resistances ! Even Sena technical could not help me which I found disappointing, unless I got a trainee..

I am over in the UK, 25 miles SW of London, bike is the FJR1300 and I like long tours - Scotland a couple of weeks ago and France next week

Thanks again,

Nick
nickhlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #149
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,094
Just bought an SR10 to use with my Yaesu VX8DR. Followed the PDF I found to wire up the CT-M11 with the Sena SC-A0116.

Paired the SR10 it with my bluetooth headset...

It seems that PTT and the mic in my helmet seem to work just fine transmitting, but the VX8DR speaker audio isn't coming through bluetooth... still coming through the radio speaker, even if I double tap PTT to manually open the audio channel.

Any ideas?

This is my wiring for reference:
CT-M11 - SC-A0116
Black - Red
Orange - blue
Red - Black
Green-390kohm-brown
Blue-390Kohm-brown
Old 09-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #150
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Just bought an SR10 to use with my Yaesu VX8DR. Followed the PDF I found to wire up the CT-M11 with the Sena SC-A0116.

Paired the SR10 it with my bluetooth headset...

It seems that PTT and the mic in my helmet seem to work just fine transmitting, but the VX8DR speaker audio isn't coming through bluetooth... still coming through the radio speaker, even if I double tap PTT to manually open the audio channel.

Any ideas?

This is my wiring for reference:
CT-M11 - SC-A0116
Black - Red
Orange - blue
Red - Black
Green-390kohm-brown
Blue-390Kohm-brown
So it looks like the VX8DR uses the same type of waterproof connector plug that the FTM-10 radio's use. So that's not like a standard headphone jack plug where normally once you plug it in, all audio goes through that plug.

Have you checked the menu settings to see if you need to change something? I know the FTM-10's have different options in their menu's as where the audio goes. Either the built in speaker, or the audio out or both. Maybe you have a similar setup on the VX8?