Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #61
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2735 View Post
When you say over ride, do you mean that with the SR10 you have to switch between devices yourself, or does the unit do it for you?

I know when I am on intercom direct with three SMH10's, I have to switch between them. I guess what I would like to have more detail on is how the SR10 switches between sources.
Well, that is because you are technically only connected to one other person on intercom at any given time, so you have to choose to change that to another person.

As with your current SMH10, you know that a phone call is a top priority and will override an intercom conversation you are having. And if you are listening to music, an intercom or phone call with both override that.

With the SR10, you are just adding in a hub that will have its own priority setup, but any audio coming from the SR10 will probably be at the top priority as far as the SHM10 is concerned. So when you sync in the SR10 to your current SMH10, its probably going to take the place of say your phone BT directly to the SMH10, but now you can sync your phone with the SR10 or wire it directly if you want. So since the SR10 is going to be the top priority, when any audio comes from the SR10, it will mute any music (synced or piped into the SMH10) and any intercom conversation going on directly with another SHM10 user. When the audio stops on the SR10, it would probably default back to your music if you were listening to it, or maybe a conversation. As for the SR10, I'm not sure what will have the top priority? The 2 way radio connected or a cell phone synced in?

If you want music in the background, even while you are talking, you could always use a set of earphones. That is actually what I do a lot on long trips is I have a set of earphones (ER-6i's) connected to my music source directly, and just have intercom, phone, or ham radio conversations coming over the speakers while the music is low in the background.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #62
arkridergc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Compatability with Garmin Rino 530

Does anyone know if the SR-10 will support the Garmin Rino 530 with its FRS/GMRS built in radio? My brother and I already have the Rinos and I'm looking for a rider-to-passenger intercom for my wife and I and still keep the bike-to-bike range of the FRS/GMRS radios as well as the Rino's GPS functions. The Rinos have a secure channel feature that will maintain private conversations radio-to-radio so that solves some of the problems when using these frequency bands. If I understand this correctly and the SR-10 will work with the Rinos, I could purchase the SMH-10 dual set for my wife and I along with an SR-10 bluetooth adapter thereby , still allowing bike to bike communiction with my brother using his helmet headset for the Rino. As he would be connected by hardwire directly to the Rino, he would not need to buy another bluetooth intercom device. If just my brother and I take off on a road trip, we could use the 2 SMH-10's bike to bike for secure, short distance communications and keep the Rinos as long distance backups. Anybody see a flaw in this plan?
Thanks in advance,
Gary
Two Brothers on Two50's ride Colorado
'09 Yamaha WR250r, '08 Harley Davidson Road Glide
arkridergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #63
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkridergc View Post
Does anyone know if the SR-10 will support the Garmin Rino 530 with its FRS/GMRS built in radio? My brother and I already have the Rinos and I'm looking for a rider-to-passenger intercom for my wife and I and still keep the bike-to-bike range of the FRS/GMRS radios as well as the Rino's GPS functions. The Rinos have a secure channel feature that will maintain private conversations radio-to-radio so that solves some of the problems when using these frequency bands. If I understand this correctly and the SR-10 will work with the Rinos, I could purchase the SMH-10 dual set for my wife and I along with an SR-10 bluetooth adapter thereby , still allowing bike to bike communiction with my brother using his helmet headset for the Rino. As he would be connected by hardwire directly to the Rino, he would not need to buy another bluetooth intercom device. If just my brother and I take off on a road trip, we could use the 2 SMH-10's bike to bike for secure, short distance communications and keep the Rinos as long distance backups. Anybody see a flaw in this plan?
Thanks in advance,
Gary
Does the Rhino have its own cord/plug for the FRS/GMRS operation? Did it come with some sort of basic headset to use or are you stuck with the front speaker/mic on the unit? (Looking in the manual, it appears it did come with a headset). If it does have some sort of headset connection, I'm assuming it works like any other FRS/GMRS radio headset out there, but no idea who's plug or design they went with? You wouldn't necessarily have to limit yourself to the Rhino's though, but since you have them, they would work. Any other FRS/GMRS radio with the same plug would work too with the SR10 and what ever connection plug you figure out they use.

Now, I'm not sure what you are saying your brother is going to use? Just a basic headset to talk over the Rhino in his helmet? Have you tried this before and does it work? Usually those basic headsets don't work so well on a bike setup?

BTW, I strongly doubt you are able to have a "secure" private conversation over FRS/GMRS with the Rhino's. The only way to have a "secure" conversation would be with encryption which is totally not allowed by the FCC on FRS/GMRS. It appears some manufactures have pushed the limits with "voice scramble" that takes away one of the side bands which causes your voice to sound garbled, but someone with the same radio can obviously decode it along with many other radio's & scanners out there with the same technology. It looks like this has been a grey area that the FCC stomped on Midland for, but some manufactures are still getting away with it.

What you probably have is the ability to set a CTCSS (PL Tone) which basically tells the radio only to open the squelch if it receives this same tone from another radio. So it does cut down on interference in that your will only hear someone using the same code, but if anyone else is on that same channel with no PL tone set, they'll be able to hear your conversations and since you can't hear them, that leaves you talking over top of them and not even knowing it.

BTW, I was just reading the manual on those radio/GPS's and was surprised to see it appears they have the ability to talk over GMRS repeater frequencies. Most of the bubble pack GMRS radio's don't have that ability to actually talk into a repeater input frequency. Keep in mind per FCC rules that you need a GMRS license ($75) to talk on any GMRS channel including the 7 shared FRS channels at more then .5w, however its poorly enforced due to the overwhelming amount of Bubble Pack radio's that combined GMRS channels with FRS channels in one radio. Although if you tried talking over a repeater that is licensed to a true GMRS user, that will definitely attract some attention to you.

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 11:19 AM
Old 12-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #64
arkridergc
Gnarly Adventurer

Rino secure channels

BlueLghtning you are probably right in that the Rino channels aren't "secure" but I believe they are scrambled in that another Rino locked to the same channel would be able to decode it. It is a function that can be turned off if you want to. As for the GMRS radio at 5 watts output, we don't usually use that band because of the license thing. We've only had to use it a few of times to see how far apart we could be and still connect or when we were unable to reach each other on the FRS band. We mainly stick to FRS and do have respect for the FCC but don't think for a minute that I wouldn't use it if I were in a bad situation and needed help. The Rinos have a locator feature that will pinpoint another Rino user on the GPS display. It is actuated just by keying the the mic momentarily so if I just quickly key the mic, my location updates on his GPS screen. Having a GMRS 5 mile range has kept me from having to fix a flat in the dark way up in the mountains so I'm glad its there.

As for the headsets we used, they did not come with the Rino. I can't remember the brand (I'll look at home tonight) but it was a 3.5mm TRS single pin connection. They were in 3 or 4 sections with a PTT button that velcroed around the handlebars, two helmet speakers and a mic that velcroed just inside the full face helmet. I know the headsets we bought we not very sturdy as my PTT button got wet inside halfway between Arkansas and North Carolina causing a constant obnoxious tone in my brother's helmet headset. I never heard it but it nearly drove him crazy. The only way I knew something was wrong was when he started beating on the side of his helmet and shaking his fist! I wound up just unplugging it for the rest of the trip and we just removed them from the helmets. It was really a shame because the weekend prior to that we used them in a group dual sport ride and with him in front and me playing sweep they were really handy. Anyway, this was the type of headset (only a better quality one) I was referring to him using.

Update: The headsets we used were made by MotoCom.

arkridergc screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 04:48 PM
Old 12-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #65
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
BlueLghtning you are probably right in that the Rino channels aren't "secure" but I believe they are scrambled in that another Rino locked to the same channel would be able to decode it. It is a function that can be turned off if you want to.
Yeah, that's what it appears when I looked at the manual. It basically appears like they are switching between Lower & Upper Sideband channels on the radios which is pretty cool. It is probably a little bit of security overall since I don't think most radio's have that function.

Quote:
As for the GMRS radio at 5 watts output, we don't usually use that band because of the license thing. We've only had to use it a few of times to see how far apart we could be and still connect or when we were unable to reach each other on the FRS band. We mainly stick to FRS and do have respect for the FCC but don't think for a minute that I wouldn't use it if I were in a bad situation and needed help.
Oh don't blame you there. There actually is a proposal right now that the FCC is considering to drop the GMRS license thing since it really isn't that enforced.

Quote:
The Rinos have a locator feature that will pinpoint another Rino user on the GPS display. It is actuated just by keying the the mic momentarily so if I just quickly key the mic, my location updates on his GPS screen. Having a GMRS 5 mile range has kept me from having to fix a flat in the dark way up in the mountains so I'm glad its there.
I wondered how that locator worked and that is pretty cool that your buddy can see where you are too.

Quote:
As for the headsets we used, they did not come with the Rino. I can't remember the brand (I'll look at home tonight) but it was a 3.5mm TRS single pin connection. They were in 3 or 4 sections with a PTT button that velcroed around the handlebars, two helmet speakers and a mic that velcroed just inside the full face helmet. I know the headsets we bought we not very sturdy as my PTT button got wet inside halfway between Arkansas and North Carolina causing a constant obnoxious tone in my brother's helmet headset. I never heard it but it nearly drove him crazy. The only way I knew something was wrong was when he started beating on the side of his helmet and shaking his fist! I wound up just unplugging it for the rest of the trip and we just removed them from the helmets. It was really a shame because the weekend prior to that we used them in a group dual sport ride and with him in front and me playing sweep they were really handy. Anyway, this was the type of headset (only a better quality one) I was referring to him using.

Update: The headsets we used were made by MotoCom.
Yep, I own some MotComm headsets too. They work okay at slower speeds like Dual Sport Riding, but quickly get drowned out at higher speeds on street bikes. Okay, he should be able to find a good headset to use with that and yeah like you said, you could combine the SMH10/SR10 to talk to him and frankly anyone with an FRS/GMRS radio which is pretty cool.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #66
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

BTW, my SR10 came in. I have verified it successfully syncs with my Scala Rider Q2. I plan to upgrade to the SMH10 eventually, but right now the Scala will have to do.

The SR10 was ordered for me as an early X-mas gift and they forgot to order a cable with it, so I haven't had a chance to try it with a radio. I had told them just to order the Yaesu cable when they ordered it, so I could use it with my Yaesu VX-5 HT, but my goal is to use it with my Yaesu FTM-10SR that is currently on my bike. Right now though, I haven't been able to find an open wire cable for the SR10 as I'll have to use it and another open ended cable from my Yaesu FTM_10SR to make a compatible cable to connect them. I've already got the Yaesu cable, but gotta track down the open ended one for the SR10. Once I do that, I'm looking forward to trying it on my bike.

I did verify that my phone (Tmobile G2 Android) synced with the SR10. I can answer a call using the answer button on the Q2. Voice dial through the SR10 doesn't work, but I think I read that was being addressed with a firmware update. I also testing audio by hooking up a scanner and GPS as audio inputs on Aux 1 & Aux 2 and that both worked and the audio passes fine from the SR10 to the Q2. I'm really stoked that the audio path goes to standby when no audio is present from the SR10 also, so I can go back to an intercom conversation or music on my Q2. I think this should work pretty good.

Gotta save up for another SR10 now for my wife and get her FTM-10SR hooked up and ready to go on her bike. We should have a really good simplex range with our Ham radio's and even better if we go through a repeater obviously.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #67
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,802
I'm appreciating everyones comments here and on the SMH10 thread particularly 'in use' reports. I've just ordered my SR10 + SMH10.

My setup will be:
Bike to bike Comms: UHF Radio > SR10 > SMH10
MP3 Option A: Zumo 550 > BT Dongle > SMH10
MP3 Option B: iPhone > SMH10

No need for radar or GPS voice guidance for me. Might try bike to bike BT comms with the SMH10 later on but everything I've read here suggests it may not work so well in off-road situations, that is, big gap between bikes of 100's of metres (dust) and need for line of sight.

I'm doing a 6500km (4000mi) ride in May next year which at times will be very remote. Should be a good work out for the whole setup. Looking forward to untethered riding.
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #68
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
I'm appreciating everyones comments here and on the SMH10 thread particularly 'in use' reports. I've just ordered my SR10 + SMH10.

My setup will be:

No need for radar or GPS voice guidance for me. Might try bike to bike BT comms with the SMH10 later on but everything I've read here suggests it may not work so well in off-road situations, that is, big gap between bikes of 100's of metres (dust) and need for line of sight.

I'm doing a 6500km (4000mi) ride in May next year which at times will be very remote. Should be a good work out for the whole setup. Looking forward to untethered riding.
Well, the good thing is if you are least synced to other SMH10's, you can still use them when you are in range of each other. The full duplex is still really nice over the one person at a time on 2 way radio's and one of the advantages of the BT. But at the same time, it sure will be nice to be able to both really extend that range and add more people to the conversation.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:48 AM   #69
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,570
Quote:

My setup will be:

Spotted a BT transmitter at Aldi today for $29.95.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 AM   #70
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Spotted a BT transmitter at Aldi today for $29.95.
... just clicked 'commit to buy' minutes ago on eBay to buy the $16 BT jobbie on Blue's link in post #1078 of the Sena, Anyone Out There thread. I figured for $16, no great loss if it's a dud... I've spent a shitload more than that on all sorts of duds.

No Aldi over here... is that a good thing or bad thing?
11 K1600GTL
Old 12-08-2011, 05:03 AM   #71
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Well, the good thing is if you are least synced to other SMH10's, you can still use them when you are in range of each other. The full duplex is still really nice over the one person at a time on 2 way radio's and one of the advantages of the BT. But at the same time, it sure will be nice to be able to both really extend that range and add more people to the conversation.
Yeah... my mate & I will have identical Sena & radio setups... and both on DR's... and both of us married sisters (not ours - the wives are sisters ). And no... we don't share tents or jocks.
11 K1600GTL
Old 12-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #72
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
... just clicked 'commit to buy' minutes ago on eBay to buy the $16 BT jobbie on Blue's link in post #1078 of the Sena, Anyone Out There thread. I figured for $16, no great loss if it's a dud... I've spent a shitload more than that on all sorts of duds.

No Aldi over here... is that a good thing or bad thing?
I've got 2 of those coming myself as my Scoche BT transmitter gave up the ghost after a year and I paid a lot more for it then those. I figure if I get a year out of each, I'm doing fine.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #73
arkridergc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Yep, I own some MotComm headsets too. They work okay at slower speeds like Dual Sport Riding, but quickly get drowned out at higher speeds on street bikes. Okay, he should be able to find a good headset to use with that and yeah like you said, you could combine the SMH10/SR10 to talk to him and frankly anyone with an FRS/GMRS radio which is pretty cool.
Rearding the headsets that's exactly what we found too. I wore a closed face Shoie Hornet and Dave wore an open faced motocross helmet and I had a hard time understanding him at highway speeds. That's not very helpful in a downpour in unfamiliar territory. I've considered grafting earbuds in place of the speakers and replacing the PTT button to resurect my set again. Seems like I found the PTT button online somewhere but I've lost the link. I think I paid somewhere around $100.00 for them so I really hate to throw this headset away but its not worth a crap to me right now. Have you found a better headset?

Back to the Sena stuff: I see that you are a Scala user right now and the G4 Powerset is the other option I'm presently considering as they will allow conferencing between up to 4 headsets. That's a big plus for me because I occsionally go ATVing with my wife and our two kids and it would really be nice (although expensive) to be able to talk as we ride. I nearly had more than one heart attack trying to teach my son how to ride solo on his ATV. It would have really been nice to talk him through some of the rougher stuff instead of yelling from behind him and hope that he hears what I'm saying. Apparently several times he did not!

Anyway: It appears the Sena units can only link 3 different headsets and you have to tap the jog button to switch between them. In other words, no conference talking. I've read that the Sena SMH-10's (I know there is a whole other thread that I'm heading for now so as not to hijack this thread) are better as far as intercom clarity and seem to have about as good of reach as the G4's but the lack of conferencing thing might really be a deal breaker for the Senas. Since the Scala stuff seems to be compatible with the SR-10, I'm wondering what has influenced you to go with the Senas over the Scala G4 as a upgrade?
Again thanks for sharing what you've learned,
Gary
Old 12-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #74
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Rearding the headsets that's exactly what we found too. I wore a closed face Shoie Hornet and Dave wore an open faced motocross helmet and I had a hard time understanding him at highway speeds. That's not very helpful in a downpour in unfamiliar territory. I've considered grafting earbuds in place of the speakers and replacing the PTT button to resurect my set again. Seems like I found the PTT button online somewhere but I've lost the link. I think I paid somewhere around $100.00 for them so I really hate to throw this headset away but its not worth a crap to me right now. Have you found a better headset?
You can actually find the motomcomm headsets around $45-$50 now, and even some Chinese versions out there even cheaper, but to me those headsets without any noise cancelling will never work very well in a motorsports activity. The PTT buttons are out there too. To me, the BT headsets like the Scala, Sena, etc are the only ones that have really proven themselves in a true motorcycle environment.

Quote:
Back to the Sena stuff: I see that you are a Scala user right now and the G4 Powerset is the other option I'm presently considering as they will allow conferencing between up to 4 headsets. That's a big plus for me because I occsionally go ATVing with my wife and our two kids and it would really be nice (although expensive) to be able to talk as we ride. I nearly had more than one heart attack trying to teach my son how to ride solo on his ATV. It would have really been nice to talk him through some of the rougher stuff instead of yelling from behind him and hope that he hears what I'm saying. Apparently several times he did not!

Anyway: It appears the Sena units can only link 3 different headsets and you have to tap the jog button to switch between them. In other words, no conference talking. I've read that the Sena SMH-10's (I know there is a whole other thread that I'm heading for now so as not to hijack this thread) are better as far as intercom clarity and seem to have about as good of reach as the G4's but the lack of conferencing thing might really be a deal breaker for the Senas. Since the Scala stuff seems to be compatible with the SR-10, I'm wondering what has influenced you to go with the Senas over the Scala G4 as a upgrade?
Again thanks for sharing what you've learned,
Gary
My Dad owns the G4 and he bought that version specifically because my wife and I already had the Q2's and it was backwards compatible with them and sometimes the 3 of us ride together or times where just my Dad & I ride together. Even with 1 G4 and 2 Q2's you are still able to have a 3 way conversation using the G4 as the connector to both. The problem we found is it sure works a lot better in theory then practice. For one, my wife and I had to un-pair our Q2's because if we ever connected directly, we could never re-connect to the G4 with out my Dad power cycling the G4. (Try figuring out a hand signal for that one so you can tell them to power cycle their headset without stopping) And the whole time the Q2's are trying to connect to the G4, you get that busy tone every couple seconds. Total PITA. Even after we removed the sync between the Q2's, sometimes we got all 3 to connect which was awesome, but we spent more time trying to connect them then actually talking on them. Once we ever got all 3 connected, we didn't dare disconnect them for the day in fear we couldn't re-connect them. When it works, its wonderful, but we just struggled with it way too much. Even when my Dad and I just ride, I still have issues connecting to him. I think a lot of this is just the Q2 with the G4. I really feel if I had a G4, things would work much better as our Q2's work perfect together when its just my wife & I.

Now, the entire multi-connect feature of the G4's might work a whole lot better with all G4's in the mix since technically any of the G4's can host any two other headsets at the same time, but I really lost my faith in them seeing how frustrating it was to get our units playing nice together. I haven't really seen a lot of reports that actually say the multi-connect of the G4's really works that well out on the road. The other big issue that my Dad seems to run into is even after the latest firmware update that was supposed allow a simultaneous connection to say a GPS & and MP3 music device, he still continually has trouble with the music stopping/not playing. He ends up just listening to music through the wire input which totally defies the entire reason of having BT stereo music.

You do know Scala is actually coming out with the G9's - http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...cala-rider-g9/ Basically its 8+1. Up to 8 riders all connected through a toggling mode (like the Sena's do now) and you can still do the 4 simultaneous at once. It sounds awesome, but I can only imagine trying to get all that to work! . They do add voice recognition commands to make it easier though. We'll see when they start getting in users hands.

Now, other than trying on a friends helmet with the Sena's, I really have no real word use of them. I've just kept up with these threads and see a lot of happy users.

I think Scala & Sena have both done well overall with these headsets as far as communication goes. Both of them have very happy customers behind them and have proven themselves. Each has their little quirks, but they keep trying to make things better overcoming the limits of BT and Techhnology. I think Sena has done a better job with streaming music and the big jog dial. Scala seems to be more after more connections at once and now obviously connecting you 7 of your friends which is pretty cool. Sena obviously went that way with the SR10 which basically allows you to talk to anyone with a 2 way radio that talks to your radio and allows an unlimited amount of connectivity.

I wish I could get my hands on all of these units to test back to back to really get a real world feel. I've used my Dad's G4 before, but not enough to really test it. I have some friends that got Q2's because we had them and loved them. Then they wanted the BT streaming, so they upgraded to the Sena's, but I think due to a voice dialing volume issue, they decided they decided they didn't like them, and went to the G4's and are now happy? So who knows, I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I know my Dad isn't happy with me when I talk about upgrading to the Sena's as that basically leaves his G4 useless since its only me he rides with.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #75
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Here is my quick review using the Scala Q2 + SR10

I received my single pin Yaesu cable in yesterday for my Yaesu VX-5 to hook that to the SR10 and I also bought a phone plug as I carry two cell phones, so one will be hooked with a cord into Aux2 and the other will be BT in. Time to do a little unofficial testing.

Keep in mind my setup is a Scala Q2 BT headset synced to the Sena SR10. I don't own the Sena SMH-10 yet so my results maybe a bit different than someone who's trying an SMH-10 + SR10 which is obviously what they were designed for.

First thing I played around with was hooking up both my cell phones to the SR10. Both phones are Android Tmobile G2's. I paired my personal cell to the BT and hooked up my work phone to the cable to Aux 2. I wanted to see if I could answer both phones and if voice dialing worked on either one while connected. The first surprise I got is that normally on the Q2 headset, pushing the CTRL button is how you establish a voice dial when a cell is directly linked to the headset. When I press it now, it starts and stops my music player on the phone that is "plugged in". Hmm interesting. You are listening to music over a BT HSP profile, so itís not all that great audio wise, but it might come in useful for quick short rides where I just want some tunes.

Next was a call to my work phone that is hard wired in. Pressing the Ctrl button does answer the call like I was expecting. However, pressing the Ctrl button again doesn't hang it up, but rather just mutes it and un-mutes it. I guess I'll have to rely on the other person to hang up. Not a huge issue and actually might come in handy for my work calls since I would prefer to be muted while listening in to say a conference call.

After that I switched my focus over to my personal phone that is BT in. Well I've already figured out that pressing the CTRL button doesn't initiate voice dialing on either phone. :(. You probably know that motorcycle gloves and touch screen phones usually donít play nice and my Android phones are no exception, so I really want a way to voice dial, and had another idea. I had been playing around a bit with Vlingo on Android and decided to fire this up. It has a "listening mode" where it just listens for you to say "Hey Vlingo" and it wakes up on its own. Now one of the issues with Vlingo I had already figured out prior to this is that when you are BT in, it only sends its instructions or replies over a "media" connection which is an A2DP connection. Since neither my Q2 or the SR10 support A2DP, than this is a small issue. However there is an easy fix if your headset only supports HPF/HSP then you need to download and install one of the BT to Mono apps. So far, I'm having the best luck with "SuperMonoFroyo" but there are plenty out there. Once I started this app up, I can now hear Vlingo's response through my headset. With all this setup, Vlingo is working perfect with my Q2+SR10. I can voice dial with ease, I can even send text messages or start up navigation and get directions all hands free. Iím still learning Vlingo, but so far itís working great. Vlingo also has a ďsafe readerĒ where it reads you your text messages. I did notice though that to hear my text messages and maybe all response from Vlingo, you have to manually open the connection to the SR10 by quickly pressing the PTT button twice. This opens a manual connection so you can hear what the phone is saying. I might have to play around with this a bit more. With the BT phone connected, pressing the CTRL button on the Q2 does end my call, so that is good.

Next I moved on to do some testing with my VX-5 now hooked to my SR10. Now keep in mind, Iím really waiting for the opened ended cable to be released so I can connect my SR10 to my Yaesu FTM-10SR that is mounted on my motorcycle. I have a BT chip in my FTM-10SR, but it has its own issues and which led me to buying the SR10. I decided in the interim to go ahead and buy the cable for my VX-5 and I might use it on other bikes. It was rainy outside so my only testing so far was done indoors. I hooked my VX-5 to my outside ham antenna, connected the SR10 and BT everything together. I have a buddy that gives me audio reports quite often on different things I try and isn't afraid to tell me if something sounds like crap. Well much to my dismay, he gave me a pretty poor report going through my Q2 to the SR10 to the VX-5. He said I sounded tinny and muffled and not the good audio quality he was used to from me. He's one of them that is amazed at how good I sound when it's just my Q2 & FTM-10SR hooked together. I'm not sure if this is just because I was sitting in my house and there wasn't any background noise or what for the Q2 to block out? With just the VX-5, I've gotten good reports with that too, so I know itís not my radio. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I try the VX-5 on the bike where the BT headsets really shine or get the cord for my FTM-10SR so I can connect it. I'm really hoping though that the SR10 isn't killing the audio quality as that would stink in this setup.

I am very happy to report that after a brief moment of silence, the audio connection between the SR10 & Q2 does go quiet which is the big issue I was having between my Q2+FTM-10SR. You can force it to stay open with a double tap on the PTT or close it the same way, but it seems to work as it should. It seems to open up the connection pretty quick when audio does come over.

Overall, I am happy that I can hook in both my cell phones, a radio of my choice, and I still have another aux port for say a GPS. And if I had an SMH-10, I could still have a music device linked in directly to the SMH-10 using an A2DP connection. Iím really hoping in my next tests using my Q2 with the SR10 on the bike, that the audio quality is good as that would be disappointing. Iíve heard people reporting bad audio quality before using the MC BT headsets indoors and maybe thatís the case here.

Iíll report back when I try my next test. Now Sena just needs to come out with the open ended plug which should be easy considering they only need their mini Din on their side.