Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #31
Jerm
Soul Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I have no problem with ordering something for someone overseas...I have a PayPal and access to a commercial UPS account. I would pass along and show proof of all related charges on my end, would not mark anything up for the hassle and would be more than happy to help someone out...just sayin.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #32
hornet_sv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I don't mind buying locally and supporting local businesses, but damned if I'm paying a 60% premium to do so!

I believe KTM have gone about this the wrong way. Instead of banning the US from shipping internationally, have a look at why people are buying from the US.. IE the over inflated prices in other countries!

KTM nearly lost a lot of sales from me because I was going to buy aftermarket parts as it would save me a lot of money. I'm sure there are many out there in countries like Australia that refuse to pay inflated prices, that just went and bought a different brand component instread.

I cannot say my experience with KTM has been very pleasent since buying the bike earlier this year. Just lucky I love the bike so much.
hornet_sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #33
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
haggling power ??

Given the inflated prices we pay here is Aus for everything KTM, I was wondering how much negotiating power have we got when we walk into a dealer? in this case specifically to buy a new 990 Adv.

I am considering taking the plunge early next year but would like to have strategy on how to negotiate and what prices to start with before walking in. Offer a cash price, no trade-in 10-20% below the RRP? Or are the KTM dealers so flush with sales success that they don't need to haggle.

Located in Perth, WA, Australia.
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #34
MrLebowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Question Governments Fault

I'm to lazy to look up the Austrailian tax code, but I'd suspect (as many have) that the price differences you see are solely because of the government inflicted upon your island. I remember when the U.S. gov't raised the import tax on Chinese tires, now I can't find tires for my wife's Taurus for less than $90 a piece. The tax is hidden, so the consumer doesn't know he's being screwed.

Besides that, what use is it to KTM to sell bikes for double what others will pay for them? If I'm looking to make money do I want to sell 500 bikes for 20k or 5000 bikes for 10k? I know this is a simplistic scenario... so don't flame me... to badly.

I just wish the producers weren't so afraid of the parasites. If the purchaser of a product got a receipt with all the tax paid for the item I think gov't as we know it would be abolished tomorrow.

That would be an interesting thing to to make a list...What percentage of MSRP of a given make/model is tax in a given country?
MrLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #35
ZewL
nOObie

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbond View Post
2010 990R. Retail $24,495 NZD
2011 990R. Retail $33,000 SGD
Honda Africa Twin XRV 750 RD07A
Honda Wave 125R
Yamaha FJR 1300
Suzuki DR 650 SE
Current ride: Yamaha Tenere XT660Z

And this I swear won't be the last bike...
ZewL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #36
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLebowski View Post
I'm to lazy to look up the Austrailian tax code, but I'd suspect (as many have) that the price differences you see are solely because of the government inflicted upon your island. I remember when the U.S. gov't raised the import tax on Chinese tires, now I can't find tires for my wife's Taurus for less than $90 a piece. The tax is hidden, so the consumer doesn't know he's being screwed.

Besides that, what use is it to KTM to sell bikes for double what others will pay for them? If I'm looking to make money do I want to sell 500 bikes for 20k or 5000 bikes for 10k? I know this is a simplistic scenario... so don't flame me... to badly.

I just wish the producers weren't so afraid of the parasites. If the purchaser of a product got a receipt with all the tax paid for the item I think gov't as we know it would be abolished tomorrow.

That would be an interesting thing to to make a list...What percentage of MSRP of a given make/model is tax in a given country?
Its got little to do with gvmt taxes (no excise tax on motorcyle parts in NZ yet we still get hammerd!!). It is more to do with market size and what KTM think they can get away with. While at a dealer i enquired about the cost of the infamous foam air filter upgrade and saw $116.00 NZ on his computer screen...they then quoted me $220.00 !!

We know the KTM HQ marketers are fully intouch with their global pricing stratergies (hence the clamp down on KTM Twins) so in the absence of some valid explanation from them, we can only assume they have adopted a take it or leave it pricing philosophy. Higher profits on parts & servicing certainly makes it alot more attractive for prospective new dealerships thinking of joining the fold you'd have to say....bet its anoying when ya spend a packet to set up ya shop only to see potential customers purchase off shore!!
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #37
620rossco
Full on Yob

Oddometer: 261
Sorry tried to avoid making a comment.

The KTM lads on the Australian section of the forum lobbied KTM Austria for some time on this but they would not intervene. The answer has to do with the Australian KTM importer. They are not a subsidiary of KTM but rather they are an Australian company with a licensing agreement with KTM. Their pricing strategies are based not on cost plus but rather what they think that the market will pay.

I wanted an axle gauge- the US dealers were charging $35, the quote I got from my local dealer was $110AUD- approx $120USD, the UK price is similar to the US price.

When KTM Australia found out that we had been buying parts from the US, rather than setting reasonable prices, they lobbied KTM to have the US dealers refuse to sell us parts. KTM then told the US dealers that they would lose their dealerships if they sold parts internationally however some now openly promote postage diversion links on their websites.

I have heard some whispers, and given the slow parts supplies at some dealerships it seems likely that, some KTM stores price products on the domestic KTM system, place orders overseas, and pocket the difference. Either way there has been considerable damage to the KTM brand in Australia as a consequence (my local dealer went bankrupt). I'll just finish by saying that I would be concerned about the situation if I was KTM, and my guess is that they are too, but they have a contract with the distributor that they are likely stuck with.

We tossed around some legality ideas, if this was a domestic business they would be in breach of price discrimination legislation, however international businesses are not subject to these provisions.

Sorry no conspiracies, hidden tax issues, just good old fashion restrictive trade practices and greed.

620rossco screwed with this post 08-09-2011 at 12:45 AM
620rossco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #38
620rossco
Full on Yob

Oddometer: 261
Email I sent them...

Quote:
Sent this to Franz at KTM:

My name is Ross Bxxx and I am Australian. I own a 1997 620LC4 and a 2003 950Adventure. The reason for my email is to raise the issues of unacceptable wait times on KTM parts and the unrealistic pricing regime compared to the US suppliers.

Recently I ordered a set of 990 tank protectors for my Adventure pn# 60107113050 & 60107103050, these are retro fitted to most 950s over here, and they were ordered at my local KTM dealer. At the same time I ordered aftermarket parts from Germany, the UK, USA and Italy. The aftermarket suppliers all managed to supply parts within 9 days. After 3 weeks I went to the store to enquire where my parts were, and the order had been ’lost’. After another weeks wait I finally had the parts, 4 weeks after they were ordered.

I have also been attempting to access pn# Axle gauge, Part Number: 58310025000 at a reasonable price. The link to an online Australian supplier can be found here:

http://www.procycles.com.au/proddeta...od=58310025000

Cost $108 AUD this amounts to 78 euros to adjust the chain.

However were I to order it here:

http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktm-part...treetBikes-all

Cost would be $35 USD. This is close to a 300% mark-up and the UK price would be roughly the same as the US. Can you please explain how this situation can have happened?

You might also like to have a look at the readers replies in the current edition of Tbam magazine (#36) if you are interested in the value of the KTM brand in Australia. In the previous edition the editor had made an impassioned plea to readers to support local bike shops. The number and depth of the responses, particularly from KTM owners, clearly demonstrates the damage that the current situation is doing to the KTM brand in Australia.

Please do not tell me that this is impossible, I would find such a remark condescending. I know how many AUD I hand over at the KTM shop. Also I have had a long time relationship with the ducati brand and I am considering replacing my road bike with an RC8R.

I want to stress that we Australians all have access to the internet and we can see when we are being shafted. We can get around the US embargo but we shouldn’t have to, I should be able to walk into my local KTM dealer and buy my axle gauge for $35 AUD like everyone else on the planet.
Aussie thread here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582557
620rossco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:22 AM   #39
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,912
Gasket Kit for 950A P/N 60030099000

ktm-parts.com - $277.73
boltonmotorcycles.com.au - $634.60

That is beyond a joke. Guess that will some more money my local dealer will be missing out on.

I was going to compare the lot that I might need for a rebuild, but after this and some other comparisons I decided why bother, there is not a hope in hell that an Australian dealership will get close.

Obliviously KTM Austria doesn't take this or Leisk bullshits them and tells them there is nothing in it - or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:40 AM   #40
OzAdvRider
EZrider

Oddometer: 117
Never was ripped off. never will

I never buy spare parts from Australia. I buy from internet and from Twisted Throttle. Guess who lose out? LOL
Same for my other hobbies. All abroad!
Free Market for me. LOL

Tks for bringing up this epidemic in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raafrebel View Post
I would like to know why , here in Australia, we get bent over and f^cked in the ass with their prices. here are few examples.

Bike. I paid $22,000 for a run out model. USA pay only around $12,000 for left over model

Top Box Australia, $950 PLUS an extra $180 for the bracket. USA I bought one there for $350

Touring screen Australia, $385.00. USA I got a quote for $160, But they wont ship to Oz

The list goes on. As you can see, it costs more than double to own a KTM here in Australia. Now one might say that its a long way to Australia, yes it is, and i dont mind paying a few dollars mor , but paying double and tripple is just not right.
I shipped my Ducati race bike from the USA for under $2000. (but USA bikes Dont comply to Australian standards so i cant get one registered here)

Our Australian dollar at the moment is actually worth 8% more than the US dollar, but we still pay more. What the hell is going on??????

I travel to the USA every year and fill my bags up with bits , but not everyone can get there. Also, USA KTM dealers wont ship KTM parts to Australia, so for the most , we HAVE to pay Australian rip off prices.

WTF is going on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OzAdvRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:42 AM   #41
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
. . . . . anyone . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Given the inflated prices we pay here is Aus for everything KTM, I was wondering how much negotiating power have we got when we walk into a dealer? in this case specifically to buy a new 990 Adv.

I am considering taking the plunge early next year but would like to have strategy on how to negotiate and what prices to start with before walking in. Offer a cash price, no trade-in 10-20% below the RRP? Or are the KTM dealers so flush with sales success that they don't need to haggle.

syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 AM   #42
mongrel uc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post

i bought a 2010 990r from a well known dealer in perth that went down due to internet sales and a few other things not going the best paid 3 grand less then the only other v twin dealer in perth for the same bike
i can understand the need to save some dollars and some of the prices are a bit steep but if you don't give some support to the local dealers they wont be there in the future even if some of them do act as though they don't need you
mongrel uc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #43
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,821
wonder how long the W.A importers contract is for ? until hopefully ktm austria can look into/step in about the situation & get them to adjust there pricing strategies.
surely if the sales are dropping ktm austria will be looking for another ktm importer for australia.
MY07 950 SER
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 AM   #44
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrel uc View Post
if you don't give some support to the local dealers they wont be there in the future even if some of them do act as though they don't need you
I did a rough estimate on what I might need to buy to rebuild my 950 motor. The parts come in at around $1500 from the US. Based on what I looked at from an Australian dealer I am looking at over $3000 if source the parts in Australia.

I may earn pretty good money but even I am not going to drop $1500 for local support.

The best 950 mechanic in Brisbane doesn't even work for a KTM dealer so it is of little difference to him where I get my parts.

I have said before and I'll say it again I happy enough to pay even up to a 20% premium to buy locally. But 100%+? That is way over the top.

If we didn't have such ridiculous vehicle import rules I would buy a bike from O/S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:11 AM   #45
mongrel uc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
point taken

but i still like the idea of buying local were posable
the ktm dealer at home dosnt do the v twins as it would cost him too much just to set up his work shop
there are only 2 authorised v twin dealers in wa but there are some small workshops about that do a great job with factory trained mechanics
mongrel uc is online now   Reply With Quote