Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #16
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,560
From Lampeia we took a small road south above the mountains and then headed towards Ancient Olympia but did not see the sites as it was getting late (ish)...

Alfeios Dam

On the way to Krestena
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

We reached Kaiafas, the chosen destination for our camp, and Ghallas tried some friends on the phone to learn where the "new" spot was (the previous had burned at the 2007 fires. He took a right towards the shore which came to a dead end a couple of meters ahead. The track then went steeply uphill towards the rail tracks, which he said we were supposed to cross. It seemed impossible as there was very soft sand on the ground...

I volunteered to go ahead and see if it was feasible, trying to be the "brave" among us. Less than 4 meters into the try my front wheel buried in the sand and I fell with zero speed to my left. OK, don't panic, just pick the bike up. The way I had set up my luggage I had no reach at the rear left handle so only the bars were available, I have done that before on the previous africa twin and it had been relatively easy for me but this time the bike was resting a bit downhill so embarrassingly I asked Ghallas to come to the rescue (initially I had told not to bother get off his bike)... He was having other problems as the sand was too soft to hold the side stand and he was looking for something to wedge underneath it, with little success.

Meanwhile Kleopatra was spilling petrol from the cap breathers (both the transalp and the africa have that bug, and it's very dangerous if you ask me) and I was getting a bit worried... I tried once again from the bars and managed only to make them off-centre (another bug, if you put too much force the bars shift to the sides). Finally Ghallas came and we put her straight, carefully we turned the bikes and got back on the main road. The bars were now pointing to the right to go straight .. With all the excitement I got no photos of the whole ordeal.

He called his friend back and asked for more directions, turns out we were supposed to turn right further down the road, We found it and a while later we reached the camp spot and setup the tent.

Ghallas looked at the sky and wisely chose the spot that would keep the sun away from our tent in the morning.(make note of that)

We pitched the tent and went by bike a few km back the same road to a small restaurant where we ate dinner and had some beers (I also straightened the bars). We rode back to the tent.

We decided to have a night swim as the weather was warm and we had been sweating all day on the bikes. The beach was some 200m away, after the trees ended there were some small dunes before reaching the shore. As we were exiting the trees, Ghallas noticed that we could have problems coming back at the right spot and put two 1 meter sticks standing on the sand, they were barely visible 5m away.. I thought I'd play it smart by marking our spot on the trees' skyline. Entering the dunes we both felt that we would find our way back easily.

We had a great cooling swim by the stars (a bit wavy I should say, Kaiafas is a famous windsurf beach) and started to walk back towards the camp. Distracted by our conversation we realised that we were a bit off course since we went through a small area filled with garbage that we hadn't when going. We entered the trees by a different spot but we thought the tent would be near-by. It wasn't. We started to walk left and right at where we estimated would be the right spot but nothing looked familiar. I was not totally panicked since I believed that if we went all the way to the main road and then walked back the way we had come we would find the bikes but it would take a lot of time.

In a rare (for him) flash of intelligence, Ghallas mentioned that I had my bike keys with me, which happen to have my alarm remote, which could set off the alarm to guide us. I looked at the screen and saw I had two bars (out of three) meaning first that we were close, second that I could communicate with the bike. I pressed the panic button and from far away behind us we heard the siren. We had been completely lost and had been looking at a totally wrong place. I had to set it on once again to make sure we were going the right way, and again we had missed by some degrees. There were houses not far away so we didn't want use the siren again so we turned off our forehead lights and I turned on the indicators. We had passed 10 meters from the bikes and were already going the other way! I kept turning the lights on and finally we got to the tent. I believe that had we not had the remote we would still be there looking for the camp, it is amazing how helplessly lost one can get under these conditions.

We relaxed a bit at the total calmness of our surroundings and got in the tent to get some sleep.

tserts screwed with this post 07-08-2011 at 04:12 PM
Old 07-09-2011, 03:52 AM   #18
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

I forgot about these, they give a better feel of the situation:

Day 2 coming up!
Old 07-09-2011, 04:54 AM   #19
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

It's hot...

I'm sweating..

It's also very bright, where am I? Oh, right I'm camping! But why is it so hot? I try to get back to sleep (it's 9am, we got to sleep at 3am) at about 9.30 I decide that it's not going to happen, I leave Ghallas who seems to be sleeping peacefully with drops of sweat on his forehead and I get out.

Yes, it must the worst tent spot location decision in history. It was the only sunny spot in the area. Good job... I head to the beach for a morning swim, it is great, and then I start to study the maps for the day's route. Ghallas wakes up, admits that his choice of spot was a bit stupid, heads for the beach and then we start to pack.

We take our time doing all this and it is 12.30 when we hit the road, not exactly an early start... Spirits are high, the weather is great and it feels good to be there!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #20
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

Day 2 - The route was about 230km, with some off-road. Mostly small scenic routes, with about 30 km double driving as we took a wrong turn (it was worth it)

Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #21
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

So we were looking to drink some coffee, we stopped at Kallithea to fill our bottles with water and asked some guys at a cafenio for "coffee with a view" options. Turns out one of them is a biker as well and took us to the main square overlooking the area. He gave us some tips for the route and paid for our coffees. That's the second day in a row that we get free coffee, it's not about the money but the gesture made us feel very welcome in the area.

The view from the square

Back on the road and we take the route our friendly local suggested, we take a wrong turn (serves me right for not imputing the route to the gps) but the road is great so we make some alterations and decide to head to the temple of Epicurean Apollo. The road leading to the remote temple is marvellous.

Finally at the parking lot of the archaeological site

The temple was so remote that escaped destruction and pillaging throughout the millennia. It is protected by a tent from the harsh elements of the region and is in pretty good state considering it is 2500 years old..

Old 07-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #22
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

After that we head for Neda, the only Greek river with a female name. Again we make a wrong turn and have to ride 15km back the way we came but the road is so nice, we didn't think much of it.

The road down the Neda waterfalls is dirt with rocks, steep climb and especially the part past the parking in really bad shape. All of this in not important though, as the surrounding nature is breath - taking... It was so good we actually forgot to eat anything for the whole day...

Pure Bliss

Nature is trying to take over the road..

I guess those who didn't come are justifiably "green with envy"

Yeap, that stretch of road had a posted speed limit of 20km/h, it was still pretty fast...

Some roads worth axploring

That's one of the good parts, wouldn't get the camera out on the worst parts..

Finally at the end of the road near the waterfalls (they were still 30mins walk from there so we skipped them)

Ghallas pictures of the same stretch

Interesting road..

Old 07-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #23
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

We decide to go down to the river and have swim at the waters... The water is dick-shrinkingly cold...

Old 07-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #24
Mitas
caretaker

Oddometer: 283
next time you have to visit Pillion and as well Brallos ...
Old 07-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #25
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

It's getting late so we make a dash to Gialova, the last vilagge before Pylos, where we know we will find an organized camping. It is too late to find a free camping spot (it is actually quite hard to do so at a place you don't know well)..

The road gets more traffic as we get to more touristy areas but it is still great and we have a nice ride south...

\

On this fill, the Africa had less than 5 litres per 100km.. Gotta love that bike...

Some Guy had made a mini Eiffel Tower at Filiatra..

This is olive tree country...

More Olive trees

Quick stop to get directions to the camp

We setup the tent and got to the village to grab some food, it's a wonder how we both completely forgot we needed to eat something...

Back at the camp we prepared to hit the sack..

Ghallas' Photos:

Ghallas tried to get some night shots

Then we went to the shore and relaxed a bit more... That is Pylos at the back.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #26
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitas View Post
next time you have to visit Pillion and as well Brallos ...
I have been to Pilion many times, last one being a month ago, Brallos I ride at least twice a year as well. There are many good places here for a bike tour and the Peloponnese is just one of them.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #27
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

It's hot...

I'm sweating..

WTF NOT AGAIN!

My idiot friend managed to pick an even worst spot for the tent, this time the sun shines straight on my head by 8.30...

I go take a swim to calm my nerves, and the retard shows up a bit later.. I congratulate him for another perfect tent spot, and then we return to start packing. As we were on an onganized camp ground, there was coffee near-by... I go and get two cold ones and the day seems to be on the right track...

Old 07-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #28
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

After we pack we take a bath, and at about 12 we hit the road. First on the menu, Pylos and its Venetian castle.

Pylos

The view from the castle is beautiful

Ghallas collection:

We hop back on the bikes and move on to our next destination,,, The road we are riding in packed during August but now we find very little traffic, I believe it's best to visit the region early July when the weather is already warm but the masses haven't flocked in yet...
Old 07-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #29
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

Next on the menu is Methoni, its castle seems much stronger and better preserved... Unfortunately we don't visit it, we have decided that we cannot do and see it all, we will have to re-visit all these places as there are countless sites and road to explore...

Old 07-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #30
tserts OP
Praise San Irritrack

Day 3 Route. About 220 km Pylos, Methoni, Koroni, Kalamata, Oitilo, Gytheio. This route is unexpectedly satisfying, I thought it would be boring and with heavy traffic but it was quite the opposite...