User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Bines OP
Ex C50 Driver

Oddometer: 27
Height, Inseam, Footing and Bike?

I keep saying I won't buy another bike until March. I'll have been to the motorcycle show, rubbed my butt all over adv bikes, and will have more cash. Then, today, a baby blue and white Suzuki C50 pops up on Cycle Trader. It's newer than the one I had, with fewer miles, priced lower than I paid, cooler looking tail lights, tubeless wheels, gorgeous color scheme, and I could buy it now. So-tempting. Ugh.

Anyway. Help me out. I need a virtual fix. Just one fix! My big concern is how tall adv bikes are. Yeah, they can be lowered, but a cruiser height adv, well, there comes a point where that detracts from the adv function.

How tall are you?
What is your inseam?
How much feet do you get on the ground while stopped?
Where are your feet while riding?
What kind of bike?

Okay. I'm going to go not look at Cycle Trader anymore.

Okay. Maybe just a little.
Bines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
steve68steve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Check out this site.

'12 Glee
steve68steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bines View Post
I keep saying I won't buy another bike until March. I'll have been to the motorcycle show, rubbed my butt all over adv bikes, and will have more cash. Then, today, a baby blue and white Suzuki C50 pops up on Cycle Trader. It's newer than the one I had, with fewer miles, priced lower than I paid, cooler looking tail lights, tubeless wheels, gorgeous color scheme, and I could buy it now. So-tempting. Ugh.

Anyway. Help me out. I need a virtual fix. Just one fix! My big concern is how tall adv bikes are. Yeah, they can be lowered, but a cruiser height adv, well, there comes a point where that detracts from the adv function.

How tall are you?
What is your inseam?
What kind of bike?

On the pegs where they belong.

Depending on the bike I may be lucky to get a ball of one foot on the ground with the back of my thigh of the opposite leg on the seat. You just have to plan your stops.

Flat footing is overrated.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Bines OP
Ex C50 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68steve View Post
Check out this site.
Cool! That did a few good things for me. Let me see riding positions. Let me compare riding positions to the familiar C50. Wow, the CTX700 has way forward footing. That could be nice, actually. Like highway pegs with controls. But it's not an adv. Some say the NC700X isn't, either, but it and the VStrom 650 are on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
On the pegs where they belong.

Depending on the bike I may be lucky to get a ball of one foot on the ground with the back of my thigh of the opposite leg on the seat. You just have to plan your stops.

Flat footing is overrated.
On the pegs!? Man, have I been doing it wrong.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
parallaxbill
Mid-Carolina ADVR

Oddometer: 242
Quote:

How tall are you?
What is your inseam?
What kind of bike?

6'3", 225 lbs
34-35" inseam
both feet flat on the ground, knees bent just right,
feet right beneath my butt, making standing a breeze,
Bike is a 2013 KLR w/upgraded suspension suited for my weight.

KLRs can be easily lowered with links to suit folks in the 32" inseam length.

The bike is perfect for me and my kind of riding.

But, a Wee Strom 650 has a couple inches lower seat height from the factory as does the NC700X and others. I'm actually in the market for an older DL 1000 V Strom.

parallaxbill screwed with this post 12-01-2014 at 07:39 PM
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,134
The more experience you have, the less the need to touch the ground flat footed.
ITS AN EXPERIENCE THING.
But there comes a time when you don't want to tippy toe a 500+ lb bike loaded down, on uneven ground...
On gravel ..in the mud ..on a hillside lol.
I guess theres a time to draw the line.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Experience is a huge factor. The more truly comfortable, and skilled you are as a rider the less relevant seat height is. There is more to it than seat height though. (obviously) things like weight, and how it is carried is relevant. A bike with high cg will be more of an issue than a lower cg. Width of the bike also matters - a big old wide comfy couch of a seat vs a narrow seat, on a bike of same seat height will feel very different when you try to plant your feet. Suspension set up also is a factor. A tall bike with high seat, but that has softer suspension such it sags more when loaded, can suddenly be much much lower! I think (assume?) the seat height specs are done unladen.

I'm 5'10, 30 ish inch inseam. I ride a KTM 2 stroke with I believe a 38 or 39 inch seat height not a problem. Normal suspension sag when I climb aboard, makes it just fine. I can only touch my toes though. But - its a narrow seat of course, and that helps. Its also a rather light bike compared to a big ADV bike. My ADV bike is a Vstrom 1000. Far from the tallest of the ADV bikes, but not a low rider either with a 34" ish seat height. Much wider seat than my KTM. Setting up suspension preload did raise the bike a fair bit, making finding the ground a bit more difficult. Adding in luggage and the wife on back, makes it easier as the bike squats down a bit more - but of course adds weight. Even loaded down, at times, depending on footing, lay of the ground etc. it can be a challenge though.

Keep in mind the bikes with lower seat heights will generally have much lower ground clearance - making the hard core ADV stuff more of a challenge, making picking your lines carefully more important. My Vstrom has rather limited ground clearance - a beefy skid plate can prevent a lot of damage! (my skid plate has the scars to prove it.). My Strom is my first big ADV bike and I now plan to move up to something with much more ground clearance (and seat height).

So how do you deal with it - very very deliberately plan and think through where you stop. Be very very alert to things like sand or gravel on the pavement. Dont over rely on using your feet (keep em on the pegs as others said!) - which often means making sure you carry sufficient momentum into more technical bits (which if you are not experienced can be a challenge). Buy a lower seat, buy boots with thicker soles can help to. And as others said - you learn to slide your butt to the side a bit to get a foot down.

I would suggest considering starting out with a bit more dirt experience on a lightweight easy to manage bike - get accustomed to dealing with riding in the dirt. The confidence and experience you gain there will help a great deal. If you do go for an ADV bike, do consider seat height. Dont start out expecting you can take on some gnarly trails right away. And stay away from that C50 - I cant imagine having much fun on that!

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #8
motorat
TBD

Oddometer: 902
5'6"
28" inseam (at least when i get carharts with the 28" they don't drag or bunch up)
feet on the ground:
2008 vstrom 650abs...suzuki gel seat 3/4" lowering liknks if i slide over my foot is flat if not then solid ball-o-foot
2010 Bonnie... Scrambler gel seat....both feet flat
2006 DRZ400s... corbin seat.... slide over...solid toe if not barely a toe.
feet on the pegs.....pegs mid point (ie...directly under me)

on the vsrtom i lowered the pegs 1" and found that more comfy.

i have had a 955i tiger, dr650, klr650 and they were all silde jobs to get 1 foot more solid.
after you ride a while you either get comfortable with the higher seat or stay with cruisers.
I hate the foot forward position so I have gotten use to the height or made the bike fit me.

have fun
joe
Old 12-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Mike View Post
Mike says...
Excellent Mike, you nailed it. You covered most all issues.
Should be a sticky.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
JLock07
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I think it comes with experience as well. I am about 5'10" 175lbs (Read:Average) with around a 31" inseam, I went to the progressive show in DC. I can flat foot the big engine (1200) bikes from triumph, yamaha, and bmw. But the 800's are much more difficult as they are taller. I would still feel comfortable riding the 800's on the road, but without dirt riding experience I wouldn't be comfortable offroad. The honda NC700x is also an easy fit as well as both vstroms. The lighter weight bikes like the DRZ seem to be easy for most people my height but heavier to weigh, but that being said I also know a 5'7" 120lb girl that rides a DRZ supermoto. So I think you can probably ride whatever you like if you have the experience.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
JoshM
2015 Wee-Strom

Oddometer: 151
How tall are you? Just shy of 6ft.

What is your inseam? 32"

How much feet do you get on the ground while stopped? If both feet down, front half of each foot solidly planted. If one foot remains on back brake, left foot is flat.

Where are your feet while riding? Pegs.

What kind of bike? 2015 V-Strom 650

JoshM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,508
I've rarely been able to flatfoot a bike, since I was 4 years old, my dad put me on my brothers Yamaha endure 60, hell, I could barely touch the pegs!!! but man, I was riding!! I never "grew into" a bike, I was always a step ahead so to speak, so being able to touch the ground was never a big deal, simply sliding over on the seat a bit was all it ever took.
and to this day, with the beemers and the v-strom in the garage, I still have trouble touching the ground!
HOWEVER, I see how a new rider could be freaked out, especially on a street bike. I honestly think it's best to spend a year or two in the dirt before taking to the street, sins are much easier forgiven in the dirt, and a tumble or two isn't gonna cause your insurance to spike upwards. Learning proper bike control without having to deal with traffic, learning that you DONT need both feet on the ground, learning how to be smooth with the controls, dirt does these things.
these days there isn't even a need to buy a bike, there are dirt riding schools around that supply bikes and gear.
I guess I didn't answer the question, but with experience, touching the ground isn't that important, Gaston Rahier was only 5'3" and was a very successful off road champion!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
Bines OP
Ex C50 Driver

My C50 did me well for years and 10s of thousands of miles. City, highway, interstate. And I never had to wonder if I should be on the interstate doing 75+ mph. Some hard, and not so hard, caliche county roads on the way to Hico with a group of C50 riders I met online. Rain so hard water was washing up over my feet. Not sitting with my legs folded up like a dead spider. Didn't have to use one leg as a kick stand at stop lights. Planning stops on it was about the same as in my truck; just stop. It's nice to be able to sit comfortably or even stand up stradling the bike while stopped in traffic. The C50 is a solid motorcycle. Excellent commuter. Decent tour cruiser with even some cheap luggage. Everyday dependable. Yall would hate it.

But I had that. Wore out a few sets of tires on it. Now, I want something else. But not something I have to jump off of at stop lights. Fitment matters when you ride daily in carmegedon. Oil spots. Tar snakes. Things falling off of trucks. Matresses. Drunk drivers. Cell phone drivers. 18 wheelers. People who don't stop even though everyone in front of them is. People who do stop, even when no one around them is. Pot holes and car parts. Whole cars. It gets real once you leave the atv park. ;)

I want a new bike, not a giraffe.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #14
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I was just pokin some fun at ya with my C50 comment. You have to ride what ever puts a smile on your face.

If you want an ADV bike, take the steps to make it lower for you - dial it in to fit YOU. Lower seat, lower suspension (initially all it might take is backing off the preload), loweing links, internally having the suspension shortened etc. (lots and lots of options from no cost to big bucks)

If the seat height issue is a big enough concern for you, and it legitimately may be, then a tall bike simply may not be best suited for your needs. Your call.

Quote:
My C50 did me well for years and 10s of thousands of miles. City, highway, interstate. And I never had to wonder if I should be on the interstate doing 75+ mph. Some hard, and not so hard, caliche county roads on the way to Hico with a group of C50 riders I met online. Rain so hard water was washing up over my feet. Not sitting with my legs folded up like a dead spider. Didn't have to use one leg as a kick stand at stop lights. Planning stops on it was about the same as in my truck; just stop. It's nice to be able to sit comfortably or even stand up stradling the bike while stopped in traffic. The C50 is a solid motorcycle. Excellent commuter. Decent tour cruiser with even some cheap luggage. Everyday dependable. Yall would hate it.

But I had that. Wore out a few sets of tires on it. Now, I want something else. But not something I have to jump off of at stop lights. Fitment matters when you ride daily in carmegedon. Oil spots. Tar snakes. Things falling off of trucks. Matresses. Drunk drivers. Cell phone drivers. 18 wheelers. People who don't stop even though everyone in front of them is. People who do stop, even when no one around them is. Pot holes and car parts. Whole cars. It gets real once you leave the atv park. ;)

I want a new bike, not a giraffe.

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
Bines OP
Ex C50 Driver

Ha! Just poking back.