Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #1516
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian43ktm View Post
I had a problem with my clutch slipping yesterday which sort of ties in with the gearing conversation. Bike is 15 months old with 14000 klm on it and a bit early to be having clutch problems I thought. We were pushing through an overgrown track I hadn't been on in about 15 years and it was a bit steeper than I remembered. So it was 1st gear moving slowly with a bit of push and shove and a lot of clutch work.The engine never overheated only going 1 bar hotter than normal running temp , I made sure I kept an eye on it. I noticed the lever engaging further out before getting drive and when back out on the road in high gears would rev but not increase speed at the same rate. It was ok if you were gentle on the throttle and rode home no problems. This morning I removed the clutch plates for inspection and found the friction plates still looked perfect but the steels were discoloured slightly black. I shuffled the plates , repacked them and gave the bike an oil change. I've only taken it for a 10 min test ride but there's no slipping and it seems to be back to normal again. What I'm wondering though is what happens if you're out past the black stump somewhere stuck in a mud hole or something and really abuse the clutch . I've treated enduro bikes a lot worse and never had clutch problems. Maybe what's basicly a road bike engine/clutch/gearing isn't up to this treatment . Anyone else had poblems? Still love the bike though, this is my first problem with it and appears to have been solved easily. ....Ian
I had my clutch do the same. I ended up adjusting the cable a bit, then it got worse -- and I ended up having to replace the whole thing as the thing ended up overheating and discolouring. The shop manager at Peter Stevens where I bought the bike, who likes to abuse customers he thinks are inferior to his elite-ness anyway, had a long go at me that it was my fault for being too hard and slipping the clutch too much because I commute with my Tiger and lane split a lot, and also like to practice at the local Uni parking lot doing slow speed figure 8's etc.

I reckon your clutch might be dead like mine.

Oh, then as I got the clutch installed they pointed out that recall on the spring, which I have always wondered if it might have played a part in the issue...

I would have it checked ASAP in order to keep it from getting it too hot. But you sound like you know more than I, perhaps you can just lay it over and open it up and have a look.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #1517
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,563
Chain Slap (AGAIN)

I know this is 205 BUT wanted to hear your opinions on this part I found on the web.

Is this just a sprocket guard or chain guide at the bottom of the picture??

The actual site doesnt show this as a available part

Here's the site:
http://www.amcmoto.co.uk/shop-by-bra...1-onwards.html
Old 10-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #1518
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,419
That looks like a chain guide to me; I have them on my smaller dual-sports.

Chain guides are more common on bikes that have a very large amount of rear suspension travel; the chain has to be quite slack in the unloaded position, in order for it to still have some slack when the suspension is fully compressed. Having a chain guide helps in making sure that the chain does not jump off the rear sprocket when the rear wheel is in the air and the rear suspension is under zero compression.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #1519
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I know this is 205 BUT wanted to hear your opinions on this part I found on the web.

Here's the site:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post

Chain guides are more common on bikes that have a very large amount of rear suspension travel; the chain has to be quite slack in the unloaded position, in order for it to still have some slack when the suspension is fully compressed. Having a chain guide helps in making sure that the chain does not jump off the rear sprocket when the rear wheel is in the air and the rear suspension is under zero compression.
Or are they spools for a rear stand
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #1520
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post

Thanks for the info Yo! I'd really like to find a solution to this terrible noise.

(Monday morning RANT begin)

I'm getting to the point where I'm now avoiding all rough stuff so I don't hear what sounds like my swingarm/ suspension falling apart! Its not even a slap, its a banging CLUNK. I'd expect this from a street bike not a brand new XC.

I took my 8yr old son out on a 100mi+ dirt loop, even he asked if something was broke on the bike with all the racket underneath. Its embarrassing to say the least. I cant see how others are content with this bike with this issue.

(Monday morning RANT over)
Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #1521
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Or are they spools for a rear stand
Hi Merc,

I'm referring to the Blu labeled hardware that looks like it is attached to the stock guard...
Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #1522
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,778
Quote:
Hi Merc,

I'm referring to the Blu labeled hardware that looks like it is attached to the stock guard...
Are you talking about the round disk below the swingarm ? That's the tax disk holder.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #1523
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

What is the ADV group thoughts on this type of addition and where possibly to mount...? I understand the chain is very close to the swingarm when the suspension is fully compressed so the actual roller between the two would need to be pretty small.

A few universal chain tensioner's available on the web:

Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #1524
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Are you talking about the round disk below the swingarm ? That's the tax disk holder.
I knew that; I just got the item that Dubl-A was asking about, wrong!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #1525
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:

Here's the site:
In the track world, that's referred to as a "sharkfin". It keeps one's body parts from going through there, if involved in a crash. Typically, they don't wrap under the chain, so it won't do much for slap.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #1526
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Quote:
D'OH!!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #1527
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
pricing and Saddle bags

Hey so i am very close to getting my bike and was wondering on prices that people got them (new). Triumph says msrp is about 12k.... is that really what they are going for?

Secondly, i have heard some bag things about the panniers that can come with the tiger xc... anyone out there have them? If so, how much were they extra, and if not, what do you have?? secondly, how do you adjust the seat height on the new ones..??

thanks!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #1528
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Thanks for the info Yo! I'd really like to find a solution to this terrible noise.

(Monday morning RANT begin)

I'm getting to the point where I'm now avoiding all rough stuff so I don't hear what sounds like my swingarm/ suspension falling apart!

Its embarrassing to say the least. I cant see how others are content with this bike with this issue.

(Monday morning RANT over)
I guess you get used to it. To me it sounds like fun ;)

... And what the hell is 205? Not knowing what 205 is, no that's something to be embarrassed about...
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #1529
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Hey so i am very close to getting my bike and was wondering on prices that people got them (new). Triumph says msrp is about 12k.... is that really what they are going for?

Secondly, i have heard some bag things about the panniers that can come with the tiger xc... anyone out there have them? If so, how much were they extra, and if not, what do you have?? secondly, how do you adjust the seat height on the new ones..??

thanks!
Not sure about current pricing; I bought mine over a year ago.

The Triumph bags have some weaknesses the become apparent if you drop the bike! Many owners choose to forgo the factory option and choose from about a dozen aftermarket solutions.

Seat height is adjustable by removing the rider seat, and repositioning the front and rear bars in one of two slots. Once you see it, it becomes apparent how it works.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #1530
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
I guess you get used to it. To me it sounds like fun ;)

... And what the hell is 205? Not knowing what 205 is, no that's something to be embarrassed about...
repeat post, all explained here (sort of)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296909
bross is offline   Reply With Quote