ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #1516
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,808
Chain Slap (AGAIN)

I know this is 205 BUT wanted to hear your opinions on this part I found on the web.

Is this just a sprocket guard or chain guide at the bottom of the picture??



The actual site doesnt show this as a available part

Here's the site:
http://www.amcmoto.co.uk/shop-by-bra...1-onwards.html
__________________
Keep your $0.02 if it ain't going towards the bill
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #1517
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,655
That looks like a chain guide to me; I have them on my smaller dual-sports.

Chain guides are more common on bikes that have a very large amount of rear suspension travel; the chain has to be quite slack in the unloaded position, in order for it to still have some slack when the suspension is fully compressed. Having a chain guide helps in making sure that the chain does not jump off the rear sprocket when the rear wheel is in the air and the rear suspension is under zero compression.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #1518
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I know this is 205 BUT wanted to hear your opinions on this part I found on the web.

Is this just a sprocket guard or chain guide at the bottom of the picture??



The actual site doesnt show this as a available part

Here's the site:
http://www.amcmoto.co.uk/shop-by-bra...1-onwards.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
That looks like a chain guide to me; I have them on my smaller dual-sports.

Chain guides are more common on bikes that have a very large amount of rear suspension travel; the chain has to be quite slack in the unloaded position, in order for it to still have some slack when the suspension is fully compressed. Having a chain guide helps in making sure that the chain does not jump off the rear sprocket when the rear wheel is in the air and the rear suspension is under zero compression.
Or are they spools for a rear stand
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #1519
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,808
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
That looks like a chain guide to me; I have them on my smaller dual-sports.

Chain guides are more common on bikes that have a very large amount of rear suspension travel; the chain has to be quite slack in the unloaded position, in order for it to still have some slack when the suspension is fully compressed. Having a chain guide helps in making sure that the chain does not jump off the rear sprocket when the rear wheel is in the air and the rear suspension is under zero compression.
Thanks for the info Yo! I'd really like to find a solution to this terrible noise.

(Monday morning RANT begin)

I'm getting to the point where I'm now avoiding all rough stuff so I don't hear what sounds like my swingarm/ suspension falling apart! Its not even a slap, its a banging CLUNK. I'd expect this from a street bike not a brand new XC.

I took my 8yr old son out on a 100mi+ dirt loop, even he asked if something was broke on the bike with all the racket underneath. Its embarrassing to say the least. I cant see how others are content with this bike with this issue.

(Monday morning RANT over)
__________________
Keep your $0.02 if it ain't going towards the bill
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #1520
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Or are they spools for a rear stand
Hi Merc,

I'm referring to the Blu labeled hardware that looks like it is attached to the stock guard...
__________________
Keep your $0.02 if it ain't going towards the bill
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #1521
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Hi Merc,

I'm referring to the Blu labeled hardware that looks like it is attached to the stock guard...
Are you talking about the round disk below the swingarm ? That's the tax disk holder.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #1522
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,808
What is the ADV group thoughts on this type of addition and where possibly to mount...? I understand the chain is very close to the swingarm when the suspension is fully compressed so the actual roller between the two would need to be pretty small.

A few universal chain tensioner's available on the web:







__________________
Keep your $0.02 if it ain't going towards the bill
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #1523
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Are you talking about the round disk below the swingarm ? That's the tax disk holder.
I knew that; I just got the item that Dubl-A was asking about, wrong!
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #1524
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I know this is 205 BUT wanted to hear your opinions on this part I found on the web.

Is this just a sprocket guard or chain guide at the bottom of the picture??



The actual site doesnt show this as a available part

Here's the site:
http://www.amcmoto.co.uk/shop-by-bra...1-onwards.html
In the track world, that's referred to as a "sharkfin". It keeps one's body parts from going through there, if involved in a crash. Typically, they don't wrap under the chain, so it won't do much for slap.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #1525
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Are you talking about the round disk below the swingarm ? That's the tax disk holder.
D'OH!!
__________________
Keep your $0.02 if it ain't going towards the bill
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #1526
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,212
pricing and Saddle bags

Hey so i am very close to getting my bike and was wondering on prices that people got them (new). Triumph says msrp is about 12k.... is that really what they are going for?

Secondly, i have heard some bag things about the panniers that can come with the tiger xc... anyone out there have them? If so, how much were they extra, and if not, what do you have?? secondly, how do you adjust the seat height on the new ones..??

thanks!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #1527
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer
 
Marsh Tiger's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Low Country SC
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Thanks for the info Yo! I'd really like to find a solution to this terrible noise.

(Monday morning RANT begin)

I'm getting to the point where I'm now avoiding all rough stuff so I don't hear what sounds like my swingarm/ suspension falling apart!

Its embarrassing to say the least. I cant see how others are content with this bike with this issue.

(Monday morning RANT over)
I guess you get used to it. To me it sounds like fun ;)

... And what the hell is 205? Not knowing what 205 is, no that's something to be embarrassed about...
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #1528
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Hey so i am very close to getting my bike and was wondering on prices that people got them (new). Triumph says msrp is about 12k.... is that really what they are going for?

Secondly, i have heard some bag things about the panniers that can come with the tiger xc... anyone out there have them? If so, how much were they extra, and if not, what do you have?? secondly, how do you adjust the seat height on the new ones..??

thanks!
Not sure about current pricing; I bought mine over a year ago.

The Triumph bags have some weaknesses the become apparent if you drop the bike! Many owners choose to forgo the factory option and choose from about a dozen aftermarket solutions.

Seat height is adjustable by removing the rider seat, and repositioning the front and rear bars in one of two slots. Once you see it, it becomes apparent how it works.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #1529
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
I guess you get used to it. To me it sounds like fun ;)

... And what the hell is 205? Not knowing what 205 is, no that's something to be embarrassed about...
repeat post, all explained here (sort of)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296909
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #1530
Ian43ktm
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: North Ipswich Qld Australia
Oddometer: 77
Reply Mr Chris

Mr Chris when you say a recall on the spring I assume you mean the 5 springs on the clutch itself. I hadn't heard of a recall, maybe it was only done when serviced at the dealer. I actually put 1mm washers on the springs to give them more tension , the clutch now has much better feel. The new springs probably have greater strength and do the same thing. My steel clutch plates although slightly blackened definitely weren't worn , there were no signs it had been slipping at all.I hope you kept your replaced parts , I'd bet there's nothing wrong with them unless you really gave it a hard time when it was slipping.......Ian
Ian43ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015