User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #1531
Ian43ktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Reply Mr Chris

Mr Chris when you say a recall on the spring I assume you mean the 5 springs on the clutch itself. I hadn't heard of a recall, maybe it was only done when serviced at the dealer. I actually put 1mm washers on the springs to give them more tension , the clutch now has much better feel. The new springs probably have greater strength and do the same thing. My steel clutch plates although slightly blackened definitely weren't worn , there were no signs it had been slipping at all.I hope you kept your replaced parts , I'd bet there's nothing wrong with them unless you really gave it a hard time when it was slipping.......Ian
Ian43ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #1532
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
I did keep them... caramel coated.

The spring is the return spring not the ones in the clutch itself... In other words I thought maybe it was letting the thing drag a bit maybe. And I had the bike in for it's 20,000 klms service and had thought it would be okay but got it back slipping too, which happened when I would overtake or push the throttle to accelerate to highway speeds etc., so I probably did push it too far. It had to get "obvious" before I realised I had my first clutch problem lol.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #1533
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
I guess you get used to it. To me it sounds like fun ;)
For everything BUT rough stuff this bike is AMAZING. I'll post up some pics once I'm done with my chain mod. More to come
Old 10-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #1534
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
luggage and Racks

what are some good luggage, saddle bags, panniers, top cases, and racks all you guys got?? PM me if you have anything of interested too!!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #1535
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
I am using this setup- Givi racks and KTM Hepko Becker cases. They are huge. Haven't seen anybody else use these yet.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #1536
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549

SW Motech racks with pelican cases and Twisted Throttle quick mount system and locks. Waterproof, ample room, light weight, narrow and virtually indestructible.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #1537
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post

SW Motech racks with pelican cases and Twisted Throttle quick mount system and locks. Waterproof, ample room, light weight, narrow and virtually indestructible.
Are those the Heidenau K60 Scouts?

How are you liking them on the Tiger? My main concern with them is in the wet, on road, any experience there?

TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #1538
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
You are correct. K60's. I've ridden wet roads with them, and they are ok. Tire pressure is everything with these tires. Set it right for the conditions and they are awesome. I'm getting the best life out of them of any tire on the bike so far. 4000, mile on them and looks like they will go another 2 or 3 thousand. I was getting 800 to 1000 out of TKC 80 rear tires and 1200 to 1400 on the fronts. I'm not crazy about the front but it is good enough. I may try to mix a set next time around.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #1539
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
You are correct. K60's. I've ridden wet roads with them, and they are ok. Tire pressure is everything with these tires. Set it right for the conditions and they are awesome. I'm getting the best life out of them of any tire on the bike so far. 4000, mile on them and looks like they will go another 2 or 3 thousand. I was getting 800 to 1000 out of TKC 80 rear tires and 1200 to 1400 on the fronts. I'm not crazy about the front but it is good enough. I may try to mix a set next time around.
I am thinking about a small trip up to AK from TX next summer. It would be nice to have a tire that could still handle the Dempster after 5-6k miles. I am planning on changing tires in Fairbanks after visiting Dawson.

Would you mind giving me your tire pressure guidelines?

thanks.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #1540
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,162
Did 10,000 on K60 to Ak this june. I was loaded on the Super T plus camping gear so probably over 900 lbs counting me. Ran 36 psi on rear. 150/70/17 K60. It was not worn out when I got home, but mostly square, still had good traction even in turns. The 100 lb lighter T800 should love this tire!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #1541
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 134
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian43ktm View Post
I had a problem with my clutch slipping yesterday which sort of ties in with the gearing conversation. Bike is 15 months old with 14000 klm on it and a bit early to be having clutch problems I thought. We were pushing through an overgrown track I hadn't been on in about 15 years and it was a bit steeper than I remembered. So it was 1st gear moving slowly with a bit of push and shove and a lot of clutch work.The engine never overheated only going 1 bar hotter than normal running temp , I made sure I kept an eye on it. I noticed the lever engaging further out before getting drive and when back out on the road in high gears would rev but not increase speed at the same rate. It was ok if you were gentle on the throttle and rode home no problems. This morning I removed the clutch plates for inspection and found the friction plates still looked perfect but the steels were discoloured slightly black. I shuffled the plates , repacked them and gave the bike an oil change. I've only taken it for a 10 min test ride but there's no slipping and it seems to be back to normal again. What I'm wondering though is what happens if you're out past the black stump somewhere stuck in a mud hole or something and really abuse the clutch . I've treated enduro bikes a lot worse and never had clutch problems. Maybe what's basicly a road bike engine/clutch/gearing isn't up to this treatment . Anyone else had poblems? Still love the bike though, this is my first problem with it and appears to have been solved easily. ....Ian
I had clutch problems within two weeks of having my XC (before the first service) - clutch cable was over tight (from Dealer) and slippage became very bad very fast, they had to replace the clutch under warranty. Was in the shop over a month parts had to come from the UK. Now issues with stalling back in the shop. I have put this bike through a lot of abuse off road - I love it and I hate it! But I cant wait to get it back. Make sure there is enough slack in your clutch cable.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #1542
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED05 View Post
I had clutch problems within two weeks of having my XC (before the first service) - clutch cable was over tight (from Dealer) and slippage became very bad very fast, they had to replace the clutch under warranty. Was in the shop over a month parts had to come from the UK. Now issues with stalling back in the shop. I have put this bike through a lot of abuse off road - I love it and I hate it! But I cant wait to get it back. Make sure there is enough slack in your clutch cable.
It pisses me off, that a dealer cant be bothered to properly deliver a bike. Quite often they charge for PDI (Preparation and Dealer Inspection). Is it too much to ask that they do their job? At least they are getting it fixed under warranty rather than blaming it on you.

Sorry about that [/rant off]
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #1543
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
It pisses me off, that a dealer cant be bothered to properly deliver a bike. Quite often they charge for PDI (Preparation and Dealer Inspection). Is it too much to ask that they do their job? At least they are getting it fixed under warranty rather than blaming it on you.

Sorry about that [/rant off]
The stalling means they didn't lube the stepper motor swing arm that's on the dealer as well!!
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #1544
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
The stalling means they didn't lube the stepper motor swing arm that's on the dealer as well!!
FWIW, my service manager said lubing is attracting dust. It seems like a catch 22
Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #1545
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
FWIW, my service manager said lubing is attracting dust. It seems like a catch 22
Use a dry lube so it won't attract dust. I used Dupont Teflon Multi Use

and when my bike wouldn't idle on day 2 of a 4 day dual sport ride I knew the stepper motor arm thingy was the culprit. We were in a small town with only 2 gas stations, neither of which had anything except a quart of oil to sell but thankfully found a corner store that had a can of WD40 on the shelf. I dosed the area of the stepper motor with WD40, the bike fired right up and ran just fine for the remainder of the trip. So even WD40 will work in a pinch.

I changed the air filter when I got home and cleaned up the stepper motor thingy with brake cleaner and lubed with the Dupont and figure I won't have to worry about it again until I change the air filter again.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote