Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #1546
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Use a dry lube so it won't attract dust. I used Dupont Teflon Multi Use

and when my bike wouldn't idle on day 2 of a 4 day dual sport ride I knew the stepper motor arm thingy was the culprit. We were in a small town with only 2 gas stations, neither of which had anything except a quart of oil to sell but thankfully found a corner store that had a can of WD40 on the shelf. I dosed the area of the stepper motor with WD40, the bike fired right up and ran just fine for the remainder of the trip. So even WD40 will work in a pinch.

I changed the air filter when I got home and cleaned up the stepper motor thingy with brake cleaner and lubed with the Dupont and figure I won't have to worry about it again until I change the air filter again.
I had the dreaded stepper motor issue this past weekend - some of the roads we were on were pretty dusty and I had an inkling that it may happen. I handled it fine the rest of the trip but I am planning on giving this a good clean etc.

I also plan on using the Du Pont lube and as it comes in a small bottle I am going to try and see if I can attach a small hose or something so that I can take it with me on trips and if it happens again I can get the tube/hose up by the motor and target the lube a little better.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #1547
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I had the dreaded stepper motor issue this past weekend - some of the roads we were on were pretty dusty and I had an inkling that it may happen. I handled it fine the rest of the trip but I am planning on giving this a good clean etc.

I also plan on using the Du Pont lube and as it comes in a small bottle I am going to try and see if I can attach a small hose or something so that I can take it with me on trips and if it happens again I can get the tube/hose up by the motor and target the lube a little better.
Once you clean and lube it, you probably won't have any more problems with it. Did you change your air filter? Mine was extremely dirty and couldn't have been flowing much air by the time I got home after our 4 day ride. I ordered one of the pre filters in the group buy and will be installing that before heading into anything that resembles dirt/dust. Granted it was pretty much 4 days of dust...

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #1548
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Use a dry lube so it won't attract dust. I used Dupont Teflon Multi Use

and when my bike wouldn't idle on day 2 of a 4 day dual sport ride I knew the stepper motor arm thingy was the culprit. We were in a small town with only 2 gas stations, neither of which had anything except a quart of oil to sell but thankfully found a corner store that had a can of WD40 on the shelf. I dosed the area of the stepper motor with WD40, the bike fired right up and ran just fine for the remainder of the trip. So even WD40 will work in a pinch.

I changed the air filter when I got home and cleaned up the stepper motor thingy with brake cleaner and lubed with the Dupont and figure I won't have to worry about it again until I change the air filter again.

Hey, thanks for that! I will pick some up ASAP.

I went on a 120mi DUSTY ride yesterday, my face looked like a over-used airfilter!! I was surprised I did not get the stalling issue after trailing most of the day to verify the problem was fixed.

Cabezon Peak

Mt. Taylor
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #1549
bross
Where we riding to?

Did you get one of the pre filters? Personally I would not consider my Tiger a dual sport bike without the prefilter. The scarcity of Triumph parts and the accessibility or more correctly the lack of accessibility of the air filter means I wouldn't ride my bike in dusty conditions without the pre filter.

Luckily the ride I was on was a semi local one and only one day ride from home, but had I been starting a longer trip, I would have been sitting at a Triumph dealer waiting for an air filter to be delivered from the UK.

I was hoping the Tiger would be my only bike but honestly I'll use it for dual sport rides with my wife where we typically explore forestry roads and mostly me leading (less dust). But for any true dual sport rides I'll be taking my DR. Which I'm OK with, the Tiger is perfect for our less than stellar roads and is a blast on forestry roads. I just wish the air filter location had been better thought out, but this short coming has mostly been addressed by the pre filter.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #1550
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Did you get one of the pre filters? Personally I would not consider my Tiger a dual sport bike without the prefilter. The scarcity of Triumph parts and the accessibility or more correctly the lack of accessibility of the air filter means I wouldn't ride my bike in dusty conditions without the pre filter.

Luckily the ride I was on was a semi local one and only one day ride from home, but had I been starting a longer trip, I would have been sitting at a Triumph dealer waiting for an air filter to be delivered from the UK.

I was hoping the Tiger would be my only bike but honestly I'll use it for dual sport rides with my wife where we typically explore forestry roads and mostly me leading (less dust). But for any true dual sport rides I'll be taking my DR. Which I'm OK with, the Tiger is perfect for our less than stellar roads and is a blast on forestry roads. I just wish the air filter location had been better thought out, but this short coming has mostly been addressed by the pre filter.
No pre-filter here, may look into one though. I'm dreading opening up the air box to see what 2 months/ numerous DS rides looks like. Thanks for the info
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #1551
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Idle problem

I took my fairly new (<3000km) 2012 Tiger XC on a ride a couple of weeks ago. I have the pre filter installed and that was clean at the end of the ride. It wasn't anywhere near what I would call dusty conditions.

Suddenly, about 5km into the dirt section, I get the dreaded "no idle" problem. It caused a few problems during the day by stalling in the most
inopportune situtaions. Tried the on off on thing a few times but that didn't seem to work. Eventually it came good but then failed again.
I rang the dealer and said I wanted to book in to get the "idle problem" looked at... the response was... What idle problem? Never heard of it.
I've had to wait 2 weeks to get the bike in so no riding. I have a weekend ride organised this coming weekend so hopefully it can be fixed on Friday.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #1552
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
I've had to wait 2 weeks to get the bike in so no riding. I have a weekend ride organised this coming weekend so hopefully it can be fixed on Friday.
Check here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=13986
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #1553
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
I took my fairly new (<3000km) 2012 Tiger XC on a ride a couple of weeks ago. I have the pre filter installed and that was clean at the end of the ride. It wasn't anywhere near what I would call dusty conditions.

Suddenly, about 5km into the dirt section, I get the dreaded "no idle" problem. It caused a few problems during the day by stalling in the most
inopportune situtaions. Tried the on off on thing a few times but that didn't seem to work. Eventually it came good but then failed again.
I rang the dealer and said I wanted to book in to get the "idle problem" looked at... the response was... What idle problem? Never heard of it.
Since he had never heard of it means he didn't lube it when you brought it in for break in maintance. Which is why you got the problem. I got mine at 3K and now have 28K and tons of that was dirt road and desert riding and never had it again. The stepper motor is coming dry from england and they are supposed to lube it.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #1554
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Since he had never heard of it means he didn't lube it when you brought it in for break in maintance. Which is why you got the problem. I got mine at 3K and now have 28K and tons of that was dirt road and desert riding and never had it again. The stepper motor is coming dry from england and they are supposed to lube it.
I picked it up as a low km Demo so the first service had already been done (supposedly) I know for a fact that this particular dealer has done a few of these in the past. Hopefully it might be just someone new on the service desk.
I guess I'll find out on Friday....
Old 10-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #1555
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
I guess I'll find out on Friday....
You might be better off taking a look for yourself as there is no "final" solution. I'd put some pressurized air in there and then squirt some WD-40 on to see whether that helps. If it does, you know

1) where the issue is and
2) how to help yourself next time your out and about in the middle of nowhere.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #1556
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You might be better off taking a look for yourself as there is no "final" solution. I'd put some pressurized air in there and then squirt some WD-40 on to see whether that helps. If it does, you know

1) where the issue is and
2) how to help yourself next time your out and about in the middle of nowhere.
I don''t think there has ever been anyone that has gotten a stall will proper lubing. So there is a final solution the shop is supposed to check it during periodic maintenance.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #1557
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:

The pre-filter will not help the stepper motor issue. Just clean the arm and lube it. You are ready to ride after that!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #1558
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
The pre-filter will not help the stepper motor issue. Just clean the arm and lube it. You are ready to ride after that!
I've got the prefilter has anyone made a guide or video or something to install?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #1559
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
As this is the first time its happened and I've only had the bike about 2 months, I'm heading back to the dealer with this one so they know it has been a problem and its now on the record. Last thing I want is to mess around in there myself and then have them comeback saying I didn't do it right so the problem then belongs to me.

Its a case of CYA
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #1560
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
I've got the prefilter has anyone made a guide or video or something to install?
Few descriptions on the group buy thread...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818121

basically the pre filter replaces the snorkle. Pull the snorkle out and install the pre filter in it's place. Some have got it in quite easily while others have struggled as it's tight in their if you have ABS. I think it depends a lot on how you hold your mouth or whether you sacrificed a chicken beforehand.