Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #1561
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
No video but here is a step by step....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
I've got the prefilter has anyone made a guide or video or something to install?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post19719556
Old 10-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #1562
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I got mine in with a fight as the rubber around the filter was very stiff.

I have, so far, failed to get it out for cleaning for the same reason. I'm thinking I'll have to take off the tank and OE air filter to get access inside to push it out.

BTW, I've never had the stalling issue even though I've ridden in dust.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #1563
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Rear tire

Good day fellas,

I have asked this in other threads without any luck with a response, so I will ask here and see what yee say:

Has anyone changed out the 17" rear on their 800xc with an 18"? Curious if it is possible without much drama?

Thanks
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #1564
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post
Good day fellas,

I have asked this in other threads without any luck with a response, so I will ask here and see what yee say:

Has anyone changed out the 17" rear on their 800xc with an 18"? Curious if it is possible without much drama?

Thanks
If you are using "drama" as a euphemism for money, I would say NO. send a PM to Woodys Wheel Works for a drama quote and get back to us.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #1565
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Good day fellas,

Thanks
Can't see the point personally as you can get almost any type of tyre in 17" nowadays anyway.

And if you come back and say ; "oh, but you can't get pukka MX tyres in 17". Well, the Tiger's not a motocrosser (never will be) and its weight, power and torque will rip an MX tyre apart in pretty quick time IMO.

So, as I said, I can't see the point.

blacktiger screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 09:51 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #1566
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Can't see the point personally as you can get almost any type of tyre in 17" nowadays anyway.

And if you come back and say ; "oh, but you can't get pukka MX tyres in 17". Well, the Tiger's not a motocrosser (never will be) and its weight, power and torque will rip an MX tyre apart in pretty quick time IMO.

ya what he said
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #1567
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post

Fair enough.

My thinking was simply to have two setups, one with an 18/21 for dualsport rides with a tkc type tire, and another with 17/17 for rides I know will only have pavement. I know lots of guys with road bikes and only a couple with dual sport/adv bikes. Also the 17's would work well for commuting.

I was more curious if anyone had done it and if there were any significant modifications needed to make it work.
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #1568
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Fair enough.

My thinking was simply to have two setups, one with an 18/21 for dualsport rides with a tkc type tire, and another with 17/17 for rides I know will only have pavement. I know lots of guys with road bikes and only a couple with dual sport/adv bikes. Also the 17's would work well for commuting.

I was more curious if anyone had done it and if there were any significant modifications needed to make it work.
If you want two set-ups why not get a roadie (tubeless) rear and another 21 front for your road tyres. That's what I did years ago on an R100GS. Just got a second set of wheels from a breakers for different tyres. It's just that once you start altering the wheel diameters you also alter the geometry of the steering. Once you've got two sets of wheels, it takes 1/2 hour to swap the wheels for each type of ride but everything remains standard.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #1569
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
18 inch rear will make first gear even taller, wouldn't it? Not good for offroad...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #1570
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
18 inch rear will make first gear even taller, wouldn't it? Not good for offroad...
you get a smaller sidewall tire. the overall diameter shouldnt change. is that what you mean? sprockets would be switched over (i assume). it shouldn't change anything.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #1571
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
you get a smaller sidewall tire. the overall diameter shouldnt change.
It doesn't work out that way. The tire you'd run would be a 140/80-18, which has a relatively tall sidewall. I did the math at one point, and the tire actually is a fair amount taller than a 150/70-17.

You could adjust the gearing by using a larger rear sprocket (or smaller front one). But assuming it's an ABS bike, the speedo and associated systems that run off the rear ABS sensor would be off.

It would be nice to be able to do it as there's a much better selection of dual-sport tires available in 140/80-18, and still plenty of street tires. But Blacktiger's right, the Tiger's not a motocross bike or even an enduro racer, so the available selection of 150/70-17 DS tires is probably good enough.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #1572
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
It doesn't work out that way. The tire you'd run would be a 140/80-18, which has a relatively tall sidewall. I did the math at one point, and the tire actually is a fair amount taller than a 150/70-17.

You could adjust the gearing by using a larger rear sprocket (or smaller front one). But assuming it's an ABS bike, the speedo and associated systems that run off the rear ABS sensor would be off.

It would be nice to be able to do it as there's a much better selection of dual-sport tires available in 140/80-18, and still plenty of street tires. But Blacktiger's right, the Tiger's not a motocross bike or even an enduro racer, so the available selection of 150/70-17 DS tires is probably good enough.

--mark
That's why I said shouldn't, change the overall diameter. Obviously it doesn't have to work that way, hell some guys put car tires on their bikes. If the correct tire sizes don't exist I wouldn't do it. Is there enough clearance to increase the overall size? I would make sure you have enough clearance at the swing arm and during full rear suspension compression. It may make it handle strange too...

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #1573
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I. But assuming it's an ABS bike, the speedo and associated systems that run off the rear ABS sensor would be off.

--mark
I think the speedo etc. comes from the front abs sensor.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #1574
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
yep
Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #1575
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Nope, rear. Put the bike on the center stand sometime, put it in first gear, and watch the speedo.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote