ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #1876
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev
 
Aussie Trev's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Gawler, South Australia
Oddometer: 5,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
I think you'll miss the Tiger,
Could you guys please leave Danny alone over this issue. I think he made the right decision, well planned and thought out. He's going through a little bit of seller remorse.....but he'll get over it.

Me? I'm having a ball...



Thanks Danny...
__________________
2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
1982 PE175Z
Full member......Quorn Schnitzel Club

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #1877
turboICE
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCANRUN View Post
Really, so your bike was totaled due to the passenger peg/frame area damage? Was that the only damage to the bike?
First it is not just the left peg at risk.

Second yes it can be the only damage and be totaled. A minor low side slide in gravel resulted in my XC being totaled by the insurance company when the passenger peg mount was bent upwards 180*. The bracket goes into the frame with the frame acting as a welding socket for the fillet weld. So even if the bracket is not wasted as mine was the leverage in the frame could pretty easily kink the frame when the peg is absorbing the energy of a drop. As soon as the bracket levers the welding socket / frame and dimples it even a little an insurance adjuster will say the frame needs to be replaced and the cost to replace will be more than the bike is worth and total it. So if you want to keep your bike don't take passenger peg damage to your insurance company. I wish I hadn't.

They wouldn't let me buy it back either which was strange because I bought a car that was stolen and totaled back from insurance before.

The 1200's peg mounts are sacrificial.


turboICE screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 08:19 AM
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #1878
JCANRUN
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
First it is not just the left peg at risk.

Second yes it can be the only damage and be totaled. A minor low side slide in gravel resulted in my XC being totaled by the insurance company when the passenger peg mount was bent upwards 180*. The bracket goes into the frame with the frame acting as a welding socket for the fillet weld. So even if the bracket is not wasted as mine was the leverage in the frame could pretty easily kink the frame when the peg is absorbing the energy of a drop. As soon as the bracket levers the welding socket / frame and dimples it even a little an insurance adjuster will say the frame needs to be replaced and the cost to replace will be more than the bike is worth and total it. So if you want to keep your bike don't take passenger peg damage to your insurance company. I wish I hadn't.

They wouldn't let me buy it back either which was strange because I bought a car that was stolen and totaled back from insurance before.

The 1200's peg mounts are sacrificial.

Thanks for the info. By the way, who was that insurance carrier and what state do you live (assuming your in the US)? In California, you have the right to "retain salvage" meaning you have a right to keep the bike/car and they will just subtract the salvage value from the total loss settlement.
__________________
2013 Tiger 800 - Blue
JCANRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #1879
Tonk
Frozen Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: The Great State of Maine
Oddometer: 132
Ok... Extreme idea here but for those of us that never carry a passenger, could it make sense to cut off the passenger pegs? How easily are these damaged? I've dropped my Tiger a few times (low speed in the dirt) but never thought something so minor could total the bike.
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #1880
Jeroen!
Adventurer
 
Jeroen!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 31
I think it's less likely to happen on the dirt, because of the softer impact. Onroad the asfalt is mostly less soft. Mine got bent a little too from my last drop on asfalt, not as extreme as TurboICE luckily.

Verstuurd van mijn LT30p met Tapatalk
__________________
Why so serious ?

Tiger 800xc '11
Jeroen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #1881
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
Ok... Extreme idea here but for those of us that never carry a passenger, could it make sense to cut off the passenger pegs? How easily are these damaged? I've dropped my Tiger a few times (low speed in the dirt) but never thought something so minor could total the bike.
Or cut the tubes and insert a sacrificial connector, like aluminum or something softer that will give.
Was discussed in depth elsewhere...can't recall tho. Probly after turboice misfortune.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #1882
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: illinois
Oddometer: 453
whats up with the front footpeg, looks bent. Must of been a hard hit.
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work harder, millions on welfare depend on you.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #1883
klrmtn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Byron, IL
Oddometer: 225
For the record, I went down on a gravel road at somewhere less than 20 mph when a bull dog attacked my front wheel. Cracked right side plastic at the front mounting point, bent the radiator mounting tabs over more than an inch. Bent the right footpeg in slightly. No damage whatsoever to the passenger peg, though it was augered into the gravel, it took a hard hit, gravel was wedged hard into the peg and bracket. Oh, and the bike had 125 miles on it, still the original tank of fuel from the dealer. I agree the welded on passenger pegs aren't the smartest idea, though it can obviously take a pretty good hit too. I think the radiator mount got bent because the front of the bike was lifted off the ground by the dog underneath and drove the upper right corner into the gravel. I'm a little worried about that and if an add on bracket will actually provide much protection.
I got the bike off the dog, it trotted away with some singed fur from the exhaust, but all the fight was taken out of him. I got to fix the radiator and spend $50 on a new plastic piece. Oh well, don't have to worry about the first scratch anymore.
klrmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #1884
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrmtn View Post
For the record, I went down on a gravel road at somewhere less than 20 mph when a bull dog attacked my front wheel. Cracked right side plastic at the front mounting point, bent the radiator mounting tabs over more than an inch. Bent the right footpeg in slightly. No damage whatsoever to the passenger peg, though it was augered into the gravel, it took a hard hit, gravel was wedged hard into the peg and bracket. Oh, and the bike had 125 miles on it, still the original tank of fuel from the dealer. I agree the welded on passenger pegs aren't the smartest idea, though it can obviously take a pretty good hit too. I think the radiator mount got bent because the front of the bike was lifted off the ground by the dog underneath and drove the upper right corner into the gravel. I'm a little worried about that and if an add on bracket will actually provide much protection.
I got the bike off the dog, it trotted away with some singed fur from the exhaust, but all the fight was taken out of him. I got to fix the radiator and spend $50 on a new plastic piece. Oh well, don't have to worry about the first scratch anymore.
You got the bike off of the dog?

Did you pull off it's collar to find out where it lived and then bring the owner over to pull the bike off of the dog?

Did you then have the owner of the dog pay for all of your damage?

I don't want to tell you what I would have done. I would be PISSED if a f'in dog made me crash.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #1885
klrmtn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Byron, IL
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
You got the bike off of the dog?

Did you pull off it's collar to find out where it lived and then bring the owner over to pull the bike off of the dog?

Did you then have the owner of the dog pay for all of your damage?

I don't want to tell you what I would have done. I would be PISSED if a f'in dog made me crash.

JG
Not to get too far off track, my point was that my experience was that the passenger pegs proved pretty robust for my incident, however the radiator mount didn't fair so well. take a look at the radiator mounts sometime; impact from the right, only one tab, impact from the left would have two tabs to help. Naturally I fell on the right.
To answer your questions, I thought the dog was dead, and I was madder than a hat. I looked down and saw the legs kicking and I started to smell burning fur. So I leveraged the bike up off the dog who trotted away, all the bark taken out of him. I was still mad and I couldn't get any traction with my road boots on the side of the gravel road/ditch, I was yelling and saying things I regret now. The two other dogs chained in the front yard were yapping up a storm. A nice old lady came out to find out what was going on. She helped my pick up the bike and I told her her dog ran out in the road. She said it was her daughters dog and she won't let her chain it up like she does her two. I got the distinct impression that there wasn't a lot of money here to pay for any damage, run down house in the country. She was very nice and helpful, I kind of felt sorry for her. I was late to pick up my daughter so I decided to go, I didn't think anything besides the plastic was broken.
The replacement plastic didn't cost too much, and I figured that returning and asking them to pay for it might only end up in an unpleasant situation that wasn't worth it. In hind site, if I had the time and wherewithal, I would call for a sheriff to come out and investigate and make the bike perfect. As it is, the radiator is straightened, I replaced the plastic piece tonight. The only remnant of the accident is some rust from the welded on radiator tab that I had to straighten. I will fix that and retouch the paint.
Yes it still bothers me that my brand new bike got dinged. However I knew it would get a first scratch, just didn't know it would be that new. Overall I'm pretty impressed with the durability of the bike, particularly the much maligned passenger pegs. I'm still debating the SW Motech radiator guards, they are the only ones I've see that go up high enough to protect the radiator. If this happens again, the tab will most likely break, which I will then have to find someone to repair. So I'm am weighing the cost versus added weight issue of fitting crash bars or not. Triumph replacement parts seemed pretty reasonably priced to me, so that is a good thing.
So bottom line to your question, I was willing to pay $45 to not have a confrontation that I didn't think would prove fruitful. Let me know if there is some other way I should have handled this, it's never happened before, so I wasn't really prepared (hope it never happens again). I'm all about learning how to deal with things like this going forward.
Finally, I love this bike . Can't wait until the break in is done sometime next week when I can really open her up .
Jason
klrmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #1886
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
whats up with the front footpeg, looks bent. Must of been a hard hit.
The standard front pegs do bend easily. They're just mild steel.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 32000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #1887
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrmtn View Post
I'm still debating the SW Motech radiator guards, they are the only ones I've see that go up high enough to protect the radiator.
Klrmtn, you might look at the Happy Trails crash guards. Some say they are the ugliest around, I find them to be the most protective.
strider.deano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #1888
turboICE
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 63
Insurance was State Farm state is NJ. As I said in NJ I bought a totaled car back from insurance (was USAA) don't think it was a state issue, something about state farm in this case wouldn't let me get the bike back. I went to the insurance thinking I would get it fixed or get it back from them if they totaled it.

Regarding the rider peg, yes in the slide it did suffer some damage as well, but was able to be fixed on the trail. I don't think it was that hard a spill definitely not something that I would have expected to lose a bike over. Soft dirt or hard asphalt probably wouldn't have been an issue but hard pack gravel was perfect for doing this damage, soft enough to allow it to dig in and hard enough to bend the peg back as it slid.

Uphill right hander, probably too much throttle for the rear tire which came out from under me and the bike slid on the low side turning 225* in the process.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #1889
KiLO
Adventure Cafe
 
KiLO's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 321
Talking

Hey all... Lovin' this thread.

Overwhelmed with all the information on this forum and in this thread, so thank you. Through my research, I've settled on a skid plate, crash bars, top box, and a few other farkles and goodies.

One thing I'm venturing into now is putting together a tool kit, and I'd love any input. I've seen things here and there and I'm getting the idea it's best to put together your own kit. I have a fairly decent list going, but I'm wondering how you guys stow your kits? I've seen the Kriega tool roll, and some cool tube setups.

Any input would be awesome! Now back to browsing...
__________________
'09 Triumph Thruxton | '13 Triumph Tiger 800XC
KiLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #1890
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
Hey all... Lovin' this thread.

Overwhelmed with all the information on this forum and in this thread, so thank you. Through my research, I've settled on a skid plate, crash bars, top box, and a few other farkles and goodies.

One thing I'm venturing into now is putting together a tool kit, and I'd love any input. I've seen things here and there and I'm getting the idea it's best to put together your own kit. I have a fairly decent list going, but I'm wondering how you guys stow your kits? I've seen the Kriega tool roll, and some cool tube setups.

Any input would be awesome! Now back to browsing...
For me, as I have pannier frames for Givi on both of my bikes, I stick everything (tubes, tools, pump, levers, spare bungies, tow rope, spares++) in an E21 pannier.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 32000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014