Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #1981
vicvegas
eager beaver

Oddometer: 186
Hey guys, not sure if this is the spot to ask but what fuses should i carry for the Tiger on a road trip?
vicvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #1982
GuiltyParty
drifter

Oddometer: 317
5, 10, 15, 20 & 30. The 30A is for the solenoid under the battery.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #1983
GuiltyParty
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
You can get hurt a lot of ways. I dropped the 500lb Tiger on my foot in the sand at a very low speed. My foot got jammed under the foot peg and I have fractured my 5th metatarsal. Have been in a cast for almost 3 months now and the most sucky part is not be able to ride.
I shouldn't be so flippant. Hope the healing process is swift and you're back on the bike again soon
Old 07-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #1984
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Yup!! Back on the bike again for the last 3 weeks. Loving every minute. Planning to do the Barn Buster next week. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
I shouldn't be so flippant. Hope the healing process is swift and you're back on the bike again soon
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #1985
GuiltyParty
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Yup!! Back on the bike again for the last 3 weeks. Loving every minute. Planning to do the Barn Buster next week. :)
hardcore
Old 07-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #1986
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
2011 problems?

I'm looking to join the fold but curious if the 2011 stalling issues have largely been fixed or are riders still encountering them?

Also, are there specific things I should be looking for (or testing for) when doing my review of the bike prior to purchase?

Any help or info is appreciated!
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #1987
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
I'm looking to join the fold but curious if the 2011 stalling issues have largely been fixed or are riders still encountering them?

Also, are there specific things I should be looking for (or testing for) when doing my review of the bike prior to purchase?

Any help or info is appreciated!
Latest map installed, should be 20653 for an ABS model and lube the stepper motor. That's about it. And I wouldn't even worry if those are done. Easy to update to the latest tune yourself with TuneECU and if you lube the stepper motor yourself then you know it's done and done right and you're good till your next major service, ie valve inspection.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #1988
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Great, one more Q. I'm to date a predominately a street rider and love to carve out some twisties. I'm pretty certain that i want to do some dirt or fire roads (having done some in Chile on a short trip) and love the style of the XC.

Have any of the XC owners here really put the bike thorough the paces in the twisties? I realize it's no supersport but all the reviews indicated XC is a better 'street' bike than the BMW F800GS - hence part of the reason i'm looking at it while currently riding the F800s...

So how does the XC perform in the twisties?
Old 07-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #1989
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Oddometer: 172
The XC is no sport bike, as you know, but it does handle
Very well considering that it has a 21" front wheel.
Steering is a little slow because of that, but with the right
tires it is no slouch! I am currently running the Dunlop
TR91 tires and am pretty happy with them. Feels best to
me with 38 psi front and 42 psi rear. Just recently did a 2400
mile week long trip through the Southern Appalachians and
had no problems riding at a spirited pace rain or shine.
All 2 lane roads. BRP, Dragon, Snake we tried to hit all of 'em!
Really happy with the bike so far. 8000 miles since I picked
it up on November 30 2012. If you can only afford one bike
You can't go wrong with the Tiger.
Once mine is paid off I think I will try to get a 675 Street Triple R for some more serious scratchin', but I am keeping my Tiger.
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #1990
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
Great, one more Q. I'm to date a predominately a street rider and love to carve out some twisties. I'm pretty certain that i want to do some dirt or fire roads (having done some in Chile on a short trip) and love the style of the XC.

Have any of the XC owners here really put the bike thorough the paces in the twisties? I realize it's no supersport but all the reviews indicated XC is a better 'street' bike than the BMW F800GS - hence part of the reason i'm looking at it while currently riding the F800s...

I traded my Honda CBF1000 for the Tiger 800XC. I haven't given up anything handling wise with the Tiger. In fact I'm running my daily commute up and down our mountain faster on the Tiger than I ever did on the CBF. I regularly drag my boots on the Tiger on a few of our switchbacks, you'll be amazed at how well the Tiger handles for having that 21" skinny little contact patch. The only downside I've found is that I'm wearing out my front tire sooner than the rear. First time that's ever happened on a bike for me. Similar riders are experiencing the same thing. We can only attribute it to aggressive riding and asking a lot of that little contact patch. I ride hard into corners on the brakes before tipping it way over and then riding that wave of torque out. It's a lot of fun and I just live with the decreased life of the front tire.

To me (and my wife) there's absolutely no comparison between the BMW F800s (GS, R, ST) and the Tiger or Street Triple. The Triumphs are way better bikes, smoother, more powerful, better handling. We have owned two BMWs previously (R1200RT, F650GS) and put a lot of miles on F800s through the Alps, Costa Rica and Morocco and while we had a blast on those trips, they would have been even better on a Triumph.

My daily commute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVRnick View Post
The XC is no sport bike, as you know, but it does handle
Very well considering that it has a 21" front wheel.
Steering is a little slow because of that, but with the right
tires it is no slouch! I am currently running the Dunlop
TR91 tires and am pretty happy with them. Feels best to
me with 38 psi front and 42 psi rear. Just recently did a 2400
mile week long trip through the Southern Appalachians and
had no problems riding at a spirited pace rain or shine.
All 2 lane roads. BRP, Dragon, Snake we tried to hit all of 'em!
Really happy with the bike so far. 8000 miles since I picked
it up on November 30 2012. If you can only afford one bike
You can't go wrong with the Tiger.
Once mine is paid off I think I will try to get a 675 Street Triple R for some more serious scratchin', but I am keeping my Tiger.
Like this... my wife's Street Triple R, the last of the good ones with bug eyes.

be careful if you ride the Street Triple. My wife rode my Tiger and her comment "it's OK but kinda boring."

bross screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 12:45 PM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #1991
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Bross, I'm jealous of your commute..!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Hope to join the fold and if I do i will certainly report in!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #1992
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Great, one more Q.

I live a few minutes from some of the best twisties in the country and I never feel like I'm giving up any substantial ground with the XC...in fact I've surprised the heck out of some weekend sportbike riders. With the 21" front, it turns in a little slower and braking is not going to be on par with 17" sportbike rubber, but other than that, you've got plenty of traction to drag hard parts if you dare.

Is it a "track day" bike, no way, but it's tons of fun and, IMHO, is the best "do it all" bike out there right now if you consider price, performance and reliability.

Go for it!
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #1993
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
I live a few minutes from some of the best twisties in the country and I never feel like I'm giving up any substantial ground with the XC...in fact I've surprised the heck out of some weekend sportbike riders. With the 21" front, it turns in a little slower and braking is not going to be on par with 17" sportbike rubber, but other than that, you've got plenty of traction to drag hard parts if you dare.

Is it a "track day" bike, no way, but it's tons of fun and, IMHO, is the best "do it all" bike out there right now if you consider price, performance and reliability.

Go for it!
No bike can do it all but if there's a bike that is closer to being able to do just that than the Tigger, I'd be amazed. On the street and the dirt, this is quite simply the best I have ever had in 35 years of riding bikes. Is it perfect? No but then, the perfect bike for what I want to do simply doesn't exist. Failing that, the Tigger is pretty close.

As ever, YMMV of course.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #1994
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
be careful if you ride the Street Triple. My wife rode my Tiger and her comment "it's OK but kinda boring."
I'd have to agree. The 675 engine is something totally different. Having owned a Daytona 675, I expected the 800 to be something similar. It's not.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #1995
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Awesome.

I came from a street background as well and have for many years been perfectly comfortable scraping footpegs in the corners. The XC never leaves me wishing for better handling -- it's fully capable of handling more aggressively than I'm willing to push it. Even with my toes on the footpegs, the outer toe cap of my boot will touch down before the peg will, so I've never actually scraped a peg on the XC -- but I've worn beveled corners on my boots.

It's a fantastically fun bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
My daily commute...
Wow, life's tough...

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote