Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #1996
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Awesome.

I came from a street background as well and have for many years been perfectly comfortable scraping footpegs in the corners. The XC never leaves me wishing for better handling -- it's fully capable of handling more aggressively than I'm willing to push it. Even with my toes on the footpegs, the outer toe cap of my boot will touch down before the peg will, so I've never actually scraped a peg on the XC -- but I've worn beveled corners on my boots.

It's a fantastically fun bike.

--mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Wow, life's tough...

--mark
20 minutes in the car or 9 minutes on the bike.

bross screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 08:54 AM
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #1997
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
but other than that, you've got plenty of traction to drag hard parts if you dare.

Is it a "track day" bike, no way, but it's tons of fun and, IMHO, is the best "do it all" bike out there right now if you consider price, performance and reliability.

Go for it!
I agree with everything you said! This comment really cracks me up though. Two weekends ago, my cousin and i rented some tiger, the non-xc, and took a 200+miles with only 5 miles of freeway...the rest allllll twisties. The bike handled like a charm! We kept up with a few sportbikes the entire time too! And, as you mention, we did scrape some metal off the foot pegs...

My next bike is for sure a Tiger 800XC. I am a full time student and am saving every penny i got from my new job to get one. They are fantastic machines! You can't go wrong with it!

p.s. Only thing is if you wanna do anything yourself.. you gotta buy a whole new set of tools... damn British Inches!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #1998
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
p.s. Only thing is if you wanna do anything yourself.. you gotta buy a whole new set of tools... damn British Inches!
There is nothing like "British Inches". It's a fully metric bike. All fasteners are metric. Same as all the Japanese, German, Italian, ... bikes. Only non-metric are the Americans ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #1999
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
There is nothing like "British Inches". It's a fully metric bike. All fasteners are metric. Same as all the Japanese, German, Italian, ... bikes. Only non-metric are the Americans ...
Many "American" cars are using metric these days too. I've got a 96 Dodge with metric pieces on it. Id say it's only Harley using the goofy SAE system anyway. What kind of mechanic would not have metric sockets these days? Heck a row of them at Harbor Freight is $10 or so.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #2000
cug
--

I was thinking about motorcycles. Don't know about cars. But I don't really care as everything that has wheels in our household is European anyways. And I'm from Germany so I moved to the US with a full metric toolkit ...

Btw: I'd not recommend the cheap kits at Harbor Freight. Find out which sizes you need and buy these in good quality [1]. Makes me much happier although I don't know how others feel in that regard.

[1] I have quite a lot of Hazet Tools, some Proxxon, the only thing I had from Craftsman was a 10mm wrench and that one broke recently, I just threw it away.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #2001
JBXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
I was thinking about motorcycles. Don't know about cars. But I don't really care as everything that has wheels in our household is European anyways. And I'm from Germany so I moved to the US with a full metric toolkit ...

Btw: I'd not recommend the cheap kits at Harbor Freight. Find out which sizes you need and buy these in good quality [1]. Makes me much happier although I don't know how others feel in that regard.

[1] I have quite a lot of Hazet Tools, some Proxxon, the only thing I had from Craftsman was a 10mm wrench and that one broke recently, I just threw it away.
Your should always return Craftsman products to Sears. They are guaranteed for life. Just hand them the broken tool and they'll hand you a new one. No sweat. I broke a fifty year old wrench that my Grandfather gave me ( I put a pipe on it for an extension.) No questions asked. They just gave me a new one.

— Hunter S. Thompson
JBXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #2002
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBXC View Post
Your should always return Craftsman products to Sears. They are guaranteed for life. Just hand them the broken tool and they'll hand you a new one. No sweat. I broke a fifty year old wrench that my Grandfather gave me ( I put a pipe on it for an extension.) No questions asked. They just gave me a new one.
Agreed, I've done the same. I use the same Craftsman sockets on my Tiger I used in the 70s when I first started ripping bikes apart.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #2003
technikiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
I took a 1/2" ratchet in the other day... unfortunately they replaced my American made tool with a made in China one. Lame.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #2004
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by technikiller View Post
I took a 1/2" ratchet in the other day... unfortunately they replaced my American made tool with a made in China one. Lame.
Yeah, I was just going to say that the Craftsman name isn't the same today as what it was 10-20 years ago. They'll still honor their warranty, but their stuff is made in China now. Oh, and the warranty doesn't apply to torque wrenches (DAMHIK). There are definitely some good American tools being made, but they come at a premium. For the amount of wrenching I do though, inexpensive tools have been fine for me.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #2005
cug
--

Quote:
Your should always return Craftsman products to Sears. They are guaranteed for life. Just hand them the broken tool and they'll hand you a new one.
That leaves me with another crappy tool that will just break again when I use it. No thanks. I didn't want another Craftsman product. I prefer to buy stuff I can actually rely on. I have heard good things about "the old tools Craftsman used to build", but the stuff that is in the stores today is just plain not the quality I spend money on.

Comes down to the fact that if you buy cheap, you buy twice. I have saved a lot of money by always getting reasonable quality. I got that thing during a trip where I had forgotten my 30 year old Hazet spanner. It was one of maybe three or four Craftsman tools I have, all bought when I needed them right now. For everything else I either buy Snap On if I can't wait longer than a few days or Hazet when I'm in Germany the next time. It's just what I'm used to and what the majority of my tools are, therefore I stick to the two or three brands I have good experience with.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #2006
gqelements
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Joined the Fold

Thanks for all the replies, I joined the fold!
Had a fantastic 200KMs bringing it home! Awesome.
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #2007
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Really?! THANK YOU!!!

Have a friend who worked on BSA and older Triumphs and said some of the sizes didn't fit... maybe it's just the really old models..? He owned severl motorcycle shops... so i wouldn't say he's bluffing
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #2008
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Oddometer: 235
The old Brit bikes (and cars, etc.) weren't SAE nor metric, they were Whitworth standard.
Thorgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #2009
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
That leaves me with another crappy tool that will just break again when I use it. No thanks. I didn't want another Craftsman product. I prefer to buy stuff I can actually rely on. I have heard good things about "the old tools Craftsman used to build", but the stuff that is in the stores today is just plain not the quality I spend money on.

Comes down to the fact that if you buy cheap, you buy twice. I have saved a lot of money by always getting reasonable quality. I got that thing during a trip where I had forgotten my 30 year old Hazet spanner. It was one of maybe three or four Craftsman tools I have, all bought when I needed them right now. For everything else I either buy Snap On if I can't wait longer than a few days or Hazet when I'm in Germany the next time. It's just what I'm used to and what the majority of my tools are, therefore I stick to the two or three brands I have good experience with.
I am not a pro mechanic by any means....but, I do wrench on my bikes and I have never ever broke a wrench/spanner, socket etc. other than (ironically) a Proxxon torque wrench (twice - 2 different ones they warrantied both) and a cheap shitty extension bar from Harbor Freight that I was basically putting my not-considerable weight on. I don't get how people break stuff like sockets and the like
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #2010
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Yes, exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Have a friend who worked on BSA and older Triumphs and said some of the sizes didn't fit... maybe it's just the really old models..?
Yeah, old Britbikes were Whitworth. I don't think they've used that standard since the '70s. All modern Triumphs are fully metric.

I'm glad Whitworth is obsolete. Now if only SAE would go away...

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote