Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #2221
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTsane View Post
Hi, I wonder if you guys could tell me what the maintenance intervals are like? Oil, valves, filter? How involved is the oil change procedure? I also read that a few guys burnt out their clutches in the more technical stuff, is that common? I'm used to my DRZSM and it's bulletproof clutch.

A friend of mine has offered me a great deal on his XC and I'm trying to decide if I should go for it or wait for the 1190 ADV R(which might be my dream bike) to become available.

I only want the bike to do two things really, highway and DS riding. Got the SM for twisties.

Thanks!
Clutch issue is more related to hard core off road. Easy to remedy with a 15 tooth counter sprocket. I've personally experienced a significant decrease in clutch use since installing the 15er

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #2222
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
Yeah it's hard work with all that weight up high. Here's a photo me doing the same, learning the hard way. Only 700km on her here ain't she pretty
Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags and Nomada top case ordered! Gearing up for 2-up anniversary trip to the color in the catskills. Gotta fit the wifey's shoes! Should fit all the gear in the case and bags.

Side rack is on, and the bags should help keep the weight lower. Top case fits a DS helmet and jacket.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #2223
OUTsane
rerutnevdA

Oddometer: 87
Going for it. Thanks!

OUTsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #2224
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
Yeah it's hard work with all that weight up high. Here's a photo me doing the same, learning the hard way. Only 700km on her here ain't she pretty

and another photo with current set up + heaps of farkles and 12000km later although I have changed a few things I'll have to take some newer pics

Which side bags/rack are you running? It looks bigger than others I have seen...
vanjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #2225
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjoosten View Post
Which side bags/rack are you running? It looks bigger than others I have seen...
Andy Strapz expedition panniers an racks from Australia, they will post also search Steel pony luggage they are bigger again

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #2226
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrnick View Post
oh yea, i love my tiger xc !!!!!!!
o yea!
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #2227
btao
Pwned

Got my 15T sprocket today. Can't wait to get it on and tested...
Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #2228
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Got my 15T sprocket today. Can't wait to get it on and tested...
You have a part number you can get me?
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #2229
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
eBay item number 330994738274

289U-525-15P

From previous post
Use search this forum, you'll usually find the question already answered

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
Old 09-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #2230
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,295
Quote:
Got mine on amazon. Same as a Wee, Gsx 600, etc... sorry I can't get you the link since I'm on my phone.
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #2231
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Got mine on amazon. Same as a Wee, Gsx 600, etc... sorry I can't get you the link since I'm on my phone.
Ordered one last Friday, should be here in a week or so...
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #2232
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Short levers

Quote:
Ordered one last Friday, should be here in a week or so...
I installed these shorty levers yesterday. Took less than 10 minutes. Stock bushing fit perfect on the clutch lever and the brake fit as if OEM. Seam pretty stout and well built. At $43, they can't be beat.
I'm surprised how much of a difference the short, closer clutch lever makes in trail riding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310639076543...S:3160&vxp=mtr

Lord John Whorfin
Old 10-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #2233
btao
Pwned

Has anyone added a bleed valve to their top caps on their front suspension? Playing out another theory. Seems like seals are good at keeping oil in, but not air out in some cases. Also, with temperature changes the air in the fork can expand and change the characteristics of the fork somewhat drastically. I noticed on the first very cold commute that the wheel hop went away and returned after I left my bike in the sun for the day. Plus, I have leaky seals which may increase the air gap by less oil and letting air in. Cheap enough to adjust the air gap on the fly for 35 bucks and may help with the wheel hop issue. People seem to swear by them. Some think they aren't so good if you suck in moisture. Seems like you'd introduce moisture when the fork was built anyway or rebuilding. Maybe avoid very humid days? IDK

Make sense?? Am I nuts? Brilliant?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #2234
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,586
They were on the KTM when I bought it. Remembering to tap them occasionally is the difficult part for me. I don't know how much difference they make, but I do get a little puff from them occasionally. Most of the time I don't remember to let the pressure out, and there never is much when I do.

Like you said, barometric and ambient temperature changes can change the internal air pressure, as well as heating the air by fork action. Also, loading the suspension will put some pressure in there, so you want to have the forks unloaded when you release the pressure, or you'll create a bit of a vacuum when the suspension unloads while riding.

I'm guessing that this is more of a concern on a single track or baja-style dirt ride with lots of suspension action than it would be on pavement or gravel roads.

For all but racers who will actually be able to discern infinitesimally tiny changes in suspension action it is probably overkill.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #2235
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Has anyone added a bleed valve to their top caps on their front suspension? Playing out another theory. Seems like seals are good at keeping oil in, but not air out in some cases. Also, with temperature changes the air in the fork can expand and change the characteristics of the fork somewhat drastically. I noticed on the first very cold commute that the wheel hop went away and returned after I left my bike in the sun for the day. Plus, I have leaky seals which may increase the air gap by less oil and letting air in. Cheap enough to adjust the air gap on the fly for 35 bucks and may help with the wheel hop issue. People seem to swear by them. Some think they aren't so good if you suck in moisture. Seems like you'd introduce moisture when the fork was built anyway or rebuilding. Maybe avoid very humid days? IDK

Make sense?? Am I nuts? Brilliant?
I have pressure release valves on my 610's fork caps; and as already pointed out, it's rare that there is significant pressure buildup in them when I hit the release buttons. That usually only happens after a hard day of washboard, ruts, etc. I don't think that this is necessary on the XC for my own needs.