Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #2251
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Um, have you tried removing the rubber inserts?

+1

easy peasy. They go back on later and the price is right
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #2252
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
very nice levers.

Can anyone recommend similarly affordable foot pegs upgrade? I'm slowly increasing my dirt riding and noticing that the feet are slipping everywhere on the stock rubber foottpegs, but i don't think it's reasonable to pay $150 for the 'brand name' options.

Hoping someone can suggest an option that they have personally tested.
Take the rubber inserts out.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #2253
clax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Just remove the rubber top pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
very nice levers.

Can anyone recommend similarly affordable foot pegs upgrade? I'm slowly increasing my dirt riding and noticing that the feet are slipping everywhere on the stock rubber foottpegs, but i don't think it's reasonable to pay $150 for the 'brand name' options.

Hoping someone can suggest an option that they have personally tested.
Just like the other guys said. Removed the rubber on the top of the foot pegs and there ya go. That being said, you will almost definitely have to adjust your rear brake lever as well. Can't remember if I adjusted the shift lever too...I did that 2 years ago and havent touch it since.

cheers,
C
Old 10-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #2254
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 920
Hey, did you know you can take the rubber inserts out? Just checking...:cool:

sent from my portable multipurpose communicator
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #2255
JBXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Metzler Karoo 3's

Just tried out a new set of Metzler Karoo 3's. I installed them a few days ago. We had some rain so I took them out for a try. After scuffing them up on some pavement, I struck out down a county road. The first thing I noticed is that they were very good road tires. They turn in quickly and easily, more so than the Bridgestones that came on the bike. This really helps on the "s" shaped curves, switching back and forth much easier. They are almost a little tippy. They seem to have a rather round profile. I was surprised how well the stuck in the corners. I had them aired up to 38 psi front and rear which seemed to work well on pavement and loose gravel. They didn't make any noise and rode smoothly. I just hope I get some good mileage out of them.

Next I found some mud and sand. After airing down to about 24 psi I took off down some trails close by. What a difference! I would have never tried this with the Bridgestone rubber. Letting the air out gives the tires a more square profile more suitable for dirt. I wonder just how low I could go without worrying about pinching a tube?

So far I am very pleased. Let's just hope I can get some decent mileage out of them.

[IMG]
image by burtpittman, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

— Hunter S. Thompson
JBXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #2256
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Oddometer: 293
Awesome. Definitely want to try out a set of the Karoo's (and they look great too). These 90/10 OEM tires are great for the road, but I need to get out on more than just fire roads.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #2257
gqelements
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
First, thanks everyone! I feel like an idiot.

I did find the real pegs, but only after a few nice offs running stock BT's after a day's worth of rain on a tight dual-track. After 2nd or 3rd whipeout the right peg felt lower and sturdier... upon examination - exactly what you all said, rubber cap must have fell off [I haven't checked the forum before leaving]...

Off goes the other rubber cover and, viola!

Next step, getting rid of these BTs and picking up some real trail-capable tires!

gqelements screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 06:27 AM
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #2258
btao
Pwned

Skid Plate

Can every one take a sec and share their skid plate rating?

I have the stock skid plate which I think is 2mm aluminum. It sucks, and there's a big dent in the underside and the rubber mounts are squished to one side.

boinoodle's looks like an uncrumpled piece of aluminum foil he's landed on that thing so many times.

So, options? Touratech says theirs is 4mm, but is riveted, not welded and expensive. Moose racing looks like a hack job. AltRider looks pretty good, tall, welded, 3.1mm alu, but a little short in the back and pricey. Hepco & Becker looks real good. They don't provide much for details. SW-Motech looks like the best. 4mm underside, 2.5mm sides, full coverage, PEM studs instead of rivets and a decent price.

Whatcha got?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #2259
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Can every one take a sec and share their skid plate rating?

I have the stock skid plate which I think is 2mm aluminum. It sucks, and there's a big dent in the underside and the rubber mounts are squished to one side.

boinoodle's looks like an uncrumpled piece of aluminum foil he's landed on that thing so many times.

So, options? Touratech says theirs is 4mm, but is riveted, not welded and expensive. Moose racing looks like a hack job. AltRider looks pretty good, tall, welded, 3.1mm alu, but a little short in the back and pricey. Hepco & Becker looks real good. They don't provide much for details. SW-Motech looks like the best. 4mm underside, 2.5mm sides, full coverage, PEM studs instead of rivets and a decent price.

Whatcha got?
Buy the SW & weld it up.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #2260
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Whatcha got?
I got a healthy respect for what the plate attaches to. Beefier isn't always better when instead of giving it transfers all the force of an impact directly to the motor case. I think that if someone made a mild steel cradle that attached to the frame and mounted a proper bash plate, they'd sell one for every XC ridden off-road. Integrate it into a good set of engine guards...
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #2261
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Buy the SW & weld it up.
After seeing what the Black Dog frame mounted plates can take, and how badly the stock one holds up, I need to figure out a frame mount for what ever plate goes on next.
Yes, I can be considered an extreme case tester, but, or a nut case for extreme testing
If anyone has ideas or has done this mod, feel free to share it. I have fabrication capabilities and will make mounts or brackets if you/we need.
When i doubt, mill it out

I guess I have to break rule No.1 and wash the bike to get the plate off and start mocking something up. Wish me luck, I'm sure the wheel hope will now happen

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #2262
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,264
Considering that Triumph lists theirs as a "sump guard", that might tell us a bit about its intended use. As others have pointed out, it is mounted to the engine sump via rubber mounts. It's really not a true skid plate, the kind that mounts to a frame, and upon which you can rest or slide the bike over obstacles. That's not its intended use; it is meant to deflect thrown debris from hitting the sump.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #2263
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
I guess I have to break rule No.1 and wash the bike
The manual says to wash it

I still get a stiffy for that new bike shine after a good cleaning

Let us know what you come up with I'm interested to see as I'm not too impressed with the stock setup.
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #2264
btao
Pwned

Let's see where some alcohol and power tools gets us. I'll bring the raw materials... See if you can bribe someone with a welder to come and fix a handicapped kid's wheel chair and then lock the door behind him...

I have some 1/8" stainless steel and 1/4" aluminum left...The stainless is real slippery...

I could try and get some PEM stud samples to throw in there if we can't find a welder.

I"ve even thought about just taking a flat piece of that stainless and bolting it to the stock plate on the bottom. That should take a beating.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #2265
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Let's see where some alcohol and power tools gets us.
...and hopefully some safety glasses haha
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote