Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #2356
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Attempt a tube swap which is what you'd be doing in the field in your garage but leave the tire changing and balancing to the shop. I take the wheel off and get charged $30 per wheel for mount and balance. It just doesnt make sense to buy all these tools if you're not doing it on a regular basis for yourself and other riders
That's what I thought also, for many years. Then realized how much I'd paid for tire changes over that span, and thus invested in tire tools and a tire changer. Paid that larger sum ONE time, never paid the lesser sums since.

But it does not hurt that I change at least three sets (6) tires a year minimum these days, just for my own purposes. I don't count walk-ins.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #2357
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
Attempt a tube swap which is what you'd be doing in the field in your garage but leave the tire changing and balancing to the shop. I take the wheel off and get charged $30 per wheel for mount and balance. It just doesnt make sense to buy all these tools if you're not doing it on a regular basis for yourself and other riders
That's a lot of cash every time. This side of the pond we normally get free fitting on a loose wheel when we buy the tyre from a tyre depot type place. However, I buy my fronts online for the XC. If I were to take it there for fitting they'd charge about £15 so £22 for the balancer will pay for itself quite quickly.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #2358
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,631
I hear ya and I'm pretty sure you got both myself and Kilo by some years in experience. Right now I'm averaging a tire swap every 18-24 months so I still cannot justify the loss of garage space on a tool I use so infrequently. That may change in the future though
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #2359
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
I hear ya and I'm pretty sure you got both myself and Kilo by some years in experience. Right now I'm averaging a tire swap every 18-24 months so I still cannot justify the loss of garage space on a tool I use so infrequently. That may change in the future though
Thanks everyone. And yeah, Dubl-A is right, I've done a total of 2 tires in my career, so I am leaning toward having them mounted professionally and doing the tube change in the garage. I don't know that I'm ready to tackle the balancing.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #2360
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,092
Used to be when I lived in the lower 48 I got free mount and ballance when purchasing the tires from the shop. Not so much anymore. So with three bikes in the garage, I bought the changing stand and a ballance stand. Takes a bit of time, especially when mount Mitas Dakar tires.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #2361
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
I don't know that I'm ready to tackle the balancing.
That really is the easiest part. Once you've got the wheel mounted on the balancing stand it'll settle with heaviest part at the bottom. Give it a couple of gentle spins to make sure and add balance weights opposite and check again. Gravity does all the hard work for you.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #2362
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
That really is the easiest part. Once you've got the wheel mounted on the balancing stand it'll settle with heaviest part at the bottom. Give it a couple of gentle spins to make sure and add balance weights opposite and check again. Gravity does all the hard work for you.
Easiest, but can be the more time consuming portion. It helps to get both the large ans small weights.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #2363
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Pfft- balancing stand? make one-
A couple pair of old bearings from in-line skates or skateboard

plus a bit of hardboard, and some nuts and bolts

presto-
Old 11-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #2364
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenstitches View Post

presto-
Well aren't you fancy?! Lol I was actually thinking of making something similar too cheap to buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #2365
onetire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:

presto-
Well done. I did a similar make "your own tool" and have used it for years. It worked for more than 2 dozen tire changes. I sold my old used up bike for a new one. Now I have noticed in my tire changes that the rollers do not spin, but the newer axle bearings do the spinning. So maybe for someone just starting out, there may be no need to make something other than put the wheel on axle stand and spin it. When the bearings get stickier, then we will need to make the tool. Thank you for sharing. I have learned so much from this forum from all of you. Just trying to make it easier for some others.
onetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #2366
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetire View Post
Well done. I did a similar make "your own tool" and have used it for years. It worked for more than 2 dozen tire changes. I sold my old used up bike for a new one. Now I have noticed in my tire changes that the rollers do not spin, but the newer axle bearings do the spinning. So maybe for someone just starting out, there may be no need to make something other than put the wheel on axle stand and spin it. When the bearings get stickier, then we will need to make the tool. Thank you for sharing. I have learned so much from this forum from all of you. Just trying to make it easier for some others.
I made this set when I owned HDs, as they used tapered roller bearings and unable to set up on a stand.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #2367
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetire View Post
Now I have noticed in my tire changes that the rollers do not spin, but the newer axle bearings do the spinning. So maybe for someone just starting out, there may be no need to make something other than put the wheel on axle stand and spin it. When the bearings get stickier, then we will need to make the tool.
In using my No-Mar balancer versus wheel bearings, I've come up with different balance values and placement. I've found if I allow both sets of bearings to freely turn, I can't get the assembly balanced. When I have a case where the wheel bearings are spinning, I use a piece of duct tape wrapped from the wheel hub and around the balancer's rod. This ensures the wheel bearings aren't altering my balance. I sell tires out of my home shop and can't begin to say how many set of tires I've done.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #2368
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
All very well if you've got that stuff laying around. I don't so I'd have to buy the bearings and the rest so for me £22 ready designed and made was a good deal. Plus it's a good solid steel construction so It's going to last my lifetime.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #2369
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Oddometer: 319
Am I the only one that gets annoyed when multiple people quote a post with several images, so those images appear several times in the thread?

Sorry, rant over... As you were
Old 11-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #2370
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
Am I the only one that gets annoyed when multiple people quote a post with several images, so those images appear several times in the thread?

Sorry, rant over... As you were
No, you're not alone which is why I didn't quote the photos in my reply.