User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #2371
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,582
There are already bearings in the hub.

Just place the axle ends on a pair of jackstands and I'm good to go for static balancing.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #2372
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
There are already bearings in the hub.

Just place the axle ends on a pair of jackstands and I'm good to go for static balancing.
Doesn't give an accurate balance. There's too much grease in there to allow them to spin freely. My front wheel spins on the spindle rather than on its bearings. Which is why I just bought my balancing stand.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #2373
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Doesn't give an accurate balance. There's too much grease in there to allow them to spin freely. My front wheel spins on the spindle rather than on its bearings. Which is why I just bought my balancing stand.
True. But, it is only a static balance to begin with. How accurate will it be in the end anyway?

I spin the wheel in both directions, several times, and this seems to be close enough to accurately find the heavy spot by averaging. If the drag you describe is enough to mask the heavy spot, the tire doesn't need balancing AFAIAC.

Honestly, I generally don't balance at all beyond aligning the dot on the tire with the valve stem. I only resort to heavy-handed tactics like these when I need to address a specific problem that I can feel. My method works fine for addressing those problem tires, and they are probably less than 1 in 10.

More precision is necessary when dynamically balancing auto tires. Of course those tires may last for 50K miles or more. The effort toward maintaining balance and doing rotation pays off in extending the life of the auto tire. (on a car, not Darksiders)

Comparatively, the MC tire will only be on the wheel for a few thousand miles. What is the benefit of "precision" static balancing if the difference is too subtle to be perceived and doesn't add measurable life to the tire?

Now, being a geek I understand the satisfaction of doing a job well, but that has little to do with tire life or performance in the grand scheme of things. In no way would I discourage someone from doing as good a job of it as they can, but for me I'll spend that time elsewhere. With over thirty bikes and hundreds of thousands of miles behind me I focus more time on things that reap more significant results.

That my story and I'm sticking with it. YMMV

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #2374
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
True. But, it is only a static balance to begin with. How accurate will it be in the end anyway?

I spin the wheel in both directions, several times, and this seems to be close enough to accurately find the heavy spot by averaging. If the drag you describe is enough to mask the heavy spot, the tire doesn't need balancing AFAIAC.

Honestly, I generally don't balance at all beyond aligning the dot on the tire with the valve stem. I only resort to heavy-handed tactics like these when I need to address a specific problem that I can feel. My method works fine for addressing those problem tires, and they are probably less than 1 in 10.

More precision is necessary when dynamically balancing auto tires. Of course those tires may last for 50K miles or more. The effort toward maintaining balance and doing rotation pays off in extending the life of the auto tire. (on a car, not Darksiders)

Comparatively, the MC tire will only be on the wheel for a few thousand miles. What is the benefit of "precision" static balancing if the difference is too subtle to be perceived and doesn't add measurable life to the tire?

Now, being a geek I understand the satisfaction of doing a job well, but that has little to do with tire life or performance in the grand scheme of things. In no way would I discourage someone from doing as good a job of it as they can, but for me I'll spend that time elsewhere. With over thirty bikes and hundreds of thousands of miles behind me I focus more time on things that reap more significant results.

That my story and I'm sticking with it. YMMV
Now, whilst I agree with all that, I do swap tyres from time to time due to fitting a new one for a tour for instance. I recently refitted one that I'd removed and the dots you speak of had disappeared so I had no idea where to mount it. THEN they need balancing.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #2375
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 954
After going to the dealer, they showed me the balancing apparatus they use for balancing their wheels. Now, this is Libby's, a rather large dealership as far as I'm concerned. They use a name brand version that looked exactly like the harbor freight static balancer. Nothing fancy. They said with a little practice, it always works.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #2376
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
After going to the dealer, they showed me the balancing apparatus they use for balancing their wheels. Now, this is Libby's, a rather large dealership as far as I'm concerned. They use a name brand version that looked exactly like the harbor freight static balancer. Nothing fancy. They said with a little practice, it always works.
Go to any roadrace event and have a look at what the trackside vendor uses.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:21 AM   #2377
Hail_TX
Middle Aged Crazy

Oddometer: 48
I am new here. I never met him. I don't know him at all. Not even sure he is he. He could be a she. Could be....

.....but after reading almost every post of his in this thread I miss him. Where is Burren Rider lately?

Maybe that is the one post I missed?
Hail_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:35 AM   #2378
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail_TX View Post
I am new here. I never met him. I don't know him at all. Not even sure he is he. He could be a she. Could be....

.....but after reading almost every post of his in this thread I miss him. Where is Burren Rider lately?

Maybe that is the one post I missed?
He went orange.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #2379
Hail_TX
Middle Aged Crazy

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
He went orange.
Well crap. Not much to do to make that more dirt worthy. ;)
Hail_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #2380
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail_TX View Post
Well crap. Not much to do to make that more dirt worthy. ;)

MUCH farkling going on

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888518
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #2381
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
It is obscene to post links like that. The poor ol' 950 is going through enough emotional trauma with the Tiger sharing the garage (and getting all the attention) without having something like that looming on the horizon.

Stop it right now!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #2382
satrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Front fender extension

Burren Rider, regarding http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=147, could you please post the specs on the front fender extensions you made (maybe just hand drawn and photographed)?

Great idea!
satrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #2383
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrider View Post
Burren Rider, regarding http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=147, could you please post the specs on the front fender extensions you made (maybe just hand drawn and photographed)?

Great idea!
Not sure that Danny visits this thread much these days Satrider, especially since he bought an 1190R, but I've got his Tiger. He hasn't so much got fender extensions but made up some brackets to raise the front fender - do you want me to take some close-ups and post them on here? All looks pretty simple...

EDIT: using the link above I see that the photographs are already uploaded. Let me know if you need anything further.

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 01:27 AM
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #2384
satrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
No problem, Aussie_Trev. I don't yet own a Tiger, but plan to purchase one in the spring. I was simply hoping I could get the specs to the extension adapters he made so I could have a machinist make them up so that I'd have them available first thing when making the Tiger purchase.

Thanks.
satrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #2385
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrider View Post
No problem, Aussie_Trev. I don't yet own a Tiger, but plan to purchase one in the spring. I was simply hoping I could get the specs to the extension adapters he made so I could have a machinist make them up so that I'd have them available first thing when making the Tiger purchase.

Thanks.
Touratech sells a kit and I've read that their length is the max you can do and not hit the beak with the fender on bottom out. It is 15mm.