Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #691
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
+1 (on the ABS, not the deer). Triumph's ABS implementation seems to be much better than BMW's legendarily overbearing version. I've tested it out jamming on the rear brake in a big dirt/gravel parking lot and was surprised by how well it worked. I felt the ABS kick in (though it was fairly subtle), but it still provided enough braking force to bring the bike to a quick stop. Based on that experimentation, I decided not to bother to turn the ABS off when riding dirt/gravel roads. I still would if I had to negotiate a gnarly, steep, loose descent, but for the most part leaving the ABS on works fine.

--mark
+1 It kicks in very smoothly and only when really needed..

Not that I ride the kind of tracks where I need to lock the rear wheel up to get round a corner much though (those kinds of tracks are what the Husky is for).
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #692
DavidXT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
thanks everyone, think ill go for the ABS model when i order it then.

Still cant decide if i should sell my drz 400sm to pay the deposit though. Still like to think that one day i would ride through Russia and that would be the bike I would use :S
'09 Buell XB12XT (can I change my name now??) , '99 Suzuki Katana 600, '97 Honda Shadow VT 750 ace, '?? Kawasaki 250 quad, '96 Suzuki TS50X
DavidXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #693
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXT View Post

Still cant decide if i should sell my drz 400sm to pay the deposit though. Still like to think that one day i would ride through Russia and that would be the bike I would use :S
i would ride through russia on the tiger. just my 2c.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #694
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXT View Post

If you're going to Russia, I'd highly recommend keeping the DRZ.........nothing like simple and light. Much easier to get a carbed/simple (read minimal electronics) bike worked on in the middle of nowhere.

I love me Tiger....but I keep my DR for the third world trips.
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #695
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
If you're going to Russia, I'd highly recommend keeping the DRZ.........nothing like simple and light. Much easier to get a carbed/simple (read minimal electronics) bike worked on in the middle of nowhere.

And there we have it folks, proof indeed that we're all different
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #696
DavidXT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:

Same reason of my thinking too, a lot easier to pick up and would be cheaper too with carnets and everything.
'09 Buell XB12XT (can I change my name now??) , '99 Suzuki Katana 600, '97 Honda Shadow VT 750 ace, '?? Kawasaki 250 quad, '96 Suzuki TS50X
DavidXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #697
fbj913
I ride

Quote:

What I really ment is that i wouldn't not ride my XC. If he needs the down payment then I think its justfiable... Dont ya think?

fbj913 screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 08:02 AM
Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #698
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
What I really ment is that i wouldn't not ride my XC. If he needs the down payment then I think its justiable... Dont ya think?
Ya, from that perspective, I agree. If he has to sell the DRZ to swing the Tiger.....I'd say do it !!!. But if he can keep both, that would be ideal
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #699
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Ya, from that perspective, I agree. If he has to sell the DRZ to swing the Tiger.....I'd say do it !!!. But if he can keep both, that would be ideal
but you know it doesn't end with the Tiger, he's gonna need some farkle$
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #700
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
but you know it doesn't end with the Tiger, he's gonna need some farkle$
You know it baby! Err, Babiji!

IMO, bare minimum if you intend to ride it a lot and in varying terrain/roads:

- get some crash bars (I ended up with Triumph + Hepco Becker high ones)
- heated grips (the MANLY way to ride) - extends your riding season / comfort
- Heidenau K60 Scouts - there may be others you like -- these are fabulous
- Motion Pro metric mini tool pouch thingy - little black pouch of goodness

For me I had to also have:
- 20mm bar risers and I turned the mounts around (I'm a bit tall for bikes)
- the Arrow can (or any mellow sounding aftermarket one, its just so much nicer)
- a Slime compressor and a spare 21" tube I keep tucked under the black plastic "top plate" - preparedness.
- since I use a Zumo 660 the Triumph mount for it was a no brainer. I just click it from the Rocket 3 to the Tiger as needed!
- I also jury-rigged a Stebel air horn into one of the crash bars so I can use the power of sound to push people back into their lane. I once caused a paint-sniffing derelict in Melbourne to literally defecant in his pants I think, but hey he jumped back out of traffic, so that's a win IMO. (True story, but more to the point if you have Emus around, the horn gets em moving -- sometimes they still run across the road rather than away from it however!)
- I got the Triumph aluminum bash plate which I've bashed a bit and gingerly used a lift under -- I'd recommend it for light use but if you want to pound on it, there's better I'm sure. The plastic stock one is twice as strong as the aluminium one on the bottom but the aluminium one comes up farther in front

I didn't get a centre stand but once with a rear flat, and every time I clean / lube the chain I wish I had. I'll prolly get a SW Motech one since the Trumpy one's being redone till mid-year.

And if you're a dusty terrain guy or like to ride in the back, one of the Unifilter pre-filters is $30 well spent.

Can't think of much else other than if it were me, I would immediately remove the rubbers off the pegs and put them into your pocket for the ride home from the dealer.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #701
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
You know it baby! Err, Babiji!

IMO, bare minimum if you intend to ride it a lot and in varying terrain/roads:

- get some crash bars (I ended up with Triumph + Hepco Becker high ones)
- heated grips (the MANLY way to ride) - extends your riding season / comfort
- Heidenau K60 Scouts - there may be others you like -- these are fabulous
- Motion Pro metric mini tool pouch thingy - little black pouch of goodness

For me I had to also have:
- 20mm bar risers and I turned the mounts around (I'm a bit tall for bikes)
- the Arrow can (or any mellow sounding aftermarket one, its just so much nicer)
- a Slime compressor and a spare 21" tube I keep tucked under the black plastic "top plate" - preparedness.
- since I use a Zumo 660 the Triumph mount for it was a no brainer. I just click it from the Rocket 3 to the Tiger as needed!
- I also jury-rigged a Stebel air horn into one of the crash bars so I can use the power of sound to push people back into their lane. I once caused a paint-sniffing derelict in Melbourne to literally defecant in his pants I think, but hey he jumped back out of traffic, so that's a win IMO. (True story, but more to the point if you have Emus around, the horn gets em moving -- sometimes they still run across the road rather than away from it however!)
- I got the Triumph aluminum bash plate which I've bashed a bit and gingerly used a lift under -- I'd recommend it for light use but if you want to pound on it, there's better I'm sure. The plastic stock one is twice as strong as the aluminium one on the bottom but the aluminium one comes up farther in front

I didn't get a centre stand but once with a rear flat, and every time I clean / lube the chain I wish I had. I'll prolly get a SW Motech one since the Trumpy one's being redone till mid-year.

And if you're a dusty terrain guy or like to ride in the back, one of the Unifilter pre-filters is $30 well spent.

Can't think of much else other than if it were me, I would immediately remove the rubbers off the pegs and put them into your pocket for the ride home from the dealer.
thats a long list of things you "need".
Old 02-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #702
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,462
Quote:
Yeah but think of it as shopping therapy.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #703
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Pfft, I'm just getting started!

Think of all the toys you buy for yourself like that sweet Klim goretex suit, Sidi boots, etc. Maybe the Geigerrig water bladder (never SUCK again as they say).

It's not just a bike, it's a dimensional rift that inhales money and converts it into smiles.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #704
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Pfft, I'm just getting started!

Think of all the toys you buy for yourself like that sweet Klim goretex suit, Sidi boots, etc. Maybe the Geigerrig water bladder (never SUCK again as they say).

It's not just a bike, it's a dimensional rift that inhales money and converts it into smiles.
i understand your point. but, for someone on a budget the bike is ready right off the show room floor to go wherever you wish.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #705
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Front end washes out?

Anyone else have a problem with the front end pushing or washing out in the dirt or gravel?

The 800XC is my first adventure bike, and I'm still getting used to it (2000 miles). It's all stock, including the Battlewings, so I'm not expecting a whole lot in terms of traction offroad. I just feel like the front tire has disproportionately less than the rear. I do have dirt experience, and even powersliding sportbikes around gravel parking lots, I've never had a problem with the front end, always the rear breaking loose first. On my tiger, the front pushes or slides long before the back.

I do have a set of heidenau scouts waiting to be installed, but I don't just want to push a handling issue to a higher speed. Is this just a matter of me learning to ride the bike, or a setup issue? I was thinking maybe some rear preload would help, or raising the forks in the triple clamps (lowerin he fromt end)? The former cured a similar problem on my KTM EXC. I'd like to hear your opinions before I mess with anything.

Chinookmark screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 02:35 PM
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote