Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #706
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinookmark View Post
Anyone else have a problem with the front end pushing or washing out in the dirt or gravel?

The 800XC is my first adventure bike, and I'm still getting used to it (2000 miles). It's all stock, including the Battlewings, so I'm not expecting a whole lot in terms of traction offroad. I just feel like the front tire has disproportionately less than the rear. I do have dirt experience, and even powersliding sportbikes around gravel parking lots, I've never had a problem with the front end, always the rear breaking loose first. On my tiger, the front pushes or slides long before the back.

I do have a set of heidenau scouts waiting to be installed, but I don't just want to push a handling issue to a higher speed. Is this just a matter of me learning to ride the bike, or a setup issue? I was thinking maybe some rear preload would help, or raising the forks in the triple clamps (lowerin he fromt end)? The former cured a similar problem on my KTM EXC. I'd like to hear your opinions before I mess with anything.
I have the stock suspension set up but did add some knobbies a few weeks ago. I never had an issue with the bike and the front end washing out, unless my body position and weight was not ready for a turn. Just keep riding it, it's much different then the EXC. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #707
cpittmx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I'm between the Super Tenere and the Tiger 800 XC. They both have their plus and minuses. I'm starting to lean towards the XC largely on the basis of the lower weight. However, Im concerned over the stalling issue that Im reading reports of including both of the bikes that the advgirls took on their Alaska trip. I've read the clean this/lube this reports but has there been any real resolution to this problem from Triumph yet?
cpittmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #708
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpittmx View Post
I'm between the Super Tenere and the Tiger 800 XC. They both have their plus and minuses. I'm starting to lean towards the XC largely on the basis of the lower weight. However, Im concerned over the stalling issue that Im reading reports of including both of the bikes that the advgirls took on their Alaska trip. I've read the clean this/lube this reports but has there been any real resolution to this problem from Triumph yet?
The stalling issue in the rider report you mention was fixed with a map update. The other issue with the servo motor has not been addressed by Triumph as the number of people affected is very small. Not saying it should not be addressed. Do you plan to ride in a lot of dust? If not I wouldn't worry about it.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #709
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Anyone else have a problem with the front end pushing or washing out in the dirt or gravel?
Not anymore.

You should notice a distinct difference after you spoon on the K60s. Don't be afraid to haul ass on the paved twisties either. Just remember to keep the psi down in the mid 20's to low 30's.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #710
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The stalling issue in the rider report you mention was fixed with a map update. The other issue with the servo motor has not been addressed by Triumph as the number of people affected is very small. Not saying it should not be addressed. Do you plan to ride in a lot of dust? If not I wouldn't worry about it.
Just ride out in front and forget about any of the dust issues.......
Old 02-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #711
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
FullMonte - mid 20's to low 30's on pavement ? I run 36 & 38 (F - R) on Heidi's on pavement. About 28-30 on dirt. Why do you recommend such low pressures on tarmac ? Just curious, j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #712
cpittmx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I plan 60 - 70% of my riding to be off road and I'm sure some of that will be dusty.
cpittmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #713
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,155
Quote:
That's what you get when you ride on slicks on dirt. I think the bike's fine it just that you have to fit it with the right tools for the job. Get those Heidis fitted and it'll improve things but be aware that they are not the ultimate in grip.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #714
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
FullMonte - mid 20's to low 30's on pavement ? I run 36 & 38 (F - R) on Heidi's on pavement. About 28-30 on dirt. Why do you recommend such low pressures on tarmac ? Just curious, j
I think they work better with slightly lower pressures. If you read the rear side wall they rated the tyre at 36psi to carry max loading. So that's where I set mine on road with the front at 30. Gives good stability and grip and steers neutrally.
Off road I reduce mine to 20F~25R and find it's a good compromise between grip and NOT getting a compression puncture and stability when I get back onto tarmac without airing up again.
Having said all that I'm still experimenting a bit and will try even lower on dirt sometime.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #715
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
he was reffereing to dirt and gravel tire pressure. read the comment he was reffering to...
Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #716
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
The original stalling is not an issue any longer. Your clean this/lube this refference is not related to the advgirls trip. Totally sepearate issue. I'm sure Triumph will address this issue soon. For now the fix is just to keep a couple of parts clean and dust free. And like what was said above this is not affecting many bikes that I can tell.

Between the Super T and The T800? I would say thats like deciding between apples to oranges... just my 2c...
Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #717
fbj913
I ride

Quote:

The 800XC is my first adventure bike, and I'm still getting used to it (2000 miles). It's all stock, including the Battlewings, so I'm not expecting a whole lot in terms of traction offroad. I just feel like the front tire has disproportionately less than the rear. I do have dirt experience, and even powersliding sportbikes around gravel parking lots, I've never had a problem with the front end, always the rear breaking loose first. On my tiger, the front pushes or slides long before the back.

I do have a set of heidenau scouts waiting to be installed, but I don't just want to push a handling issue to a higher speed. Is this just a matter of me learning to ride the bike, or a setup issue? I was thinking maybe some rear preload would help, or raising the forks in the triple clamps (lowerin he fromt end)? The former cured a similar problem on my KTM EXC. I'd like to hear your opinions before I mess with anything.

Try different tires first. Then report back. Did you get a Scout front? I would run a full knobby front if I were you.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #718
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
That's what you get when you ride on slicks on dirt. I think the bike's fine it just that you have to fit it with the right tools for the job. Get those Heidis fitted and it'll improve things but be aware that they are not the ultimate in grip.
I realize slicks in dirt = bad. But I can take my Speed Triple on Pilot Power 2CT tires, the same ones I use on track days, and ride the bike down a smooth gravel road, or through a gravel parking lot with no problem. Granted, there's not a lot of traction, but the rear of the bike fishtails and slides around, and I have plenty of warning before the front starts to slide.

On my Tiger, I've climbed some surprising (to me) rock hill climbs, and made it through some pretty slick muddy ruts, and the rear Battlewing has taken me anywhere I've dared to go, with way more traction than I expected from a 90/10 tire. But anytime I'm off road and try to turn, the front slides, not the back. I just feel like the bike is unbalanced.

But I will mount the Heidi's. I figure I'll start with the front, and when it's time to change up again, I'll put the Heidi rear and TKC front.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #719
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,215
Quote:
I plan 60 - 70% of my riding to be off road and I'm sure some of that will be dusty.
You might want to consider buying a Dirt Bike.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #720
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
he was reffereing to dirt and gravel tire pressure. read the comment he was reffering to...
Actually, no. I was referring to all conditions. They work best at lower pressures. However, I ride with guys who ride pavement like they're on sport bikes and dirt like they're on thumpers, hauling ass everywhere. In our group are GS1200, F800GS, KTM690, Tiger800XC, all with the K60s. We're not after max mileage, we want performance out of our tires. I'm following their advice and running lower pressure (24-28psi rear)with good results. The roads we ride (mountain twisties & gravel fire roads) at the speeds we ride them would've melted TKCs in less than 2k miles.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote