Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #61
Spots
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
This is a fun thread to read, Burren. :)

I testrode the 800XC a few weeks ago, contemplating indulging my old mountainbiking habits with a Tiger that's actually supposed to go offroad rather than asking strange things of my Tiger 1050 which proooooobably shouldn't go too far offroad.

Decided to keep my T1050 a few more years and spoil it with a few more farkles, so I'll just have to live vicariously through this thread instead. ;)

(And perhaps, some day, buy a 2nd-hand DRZ400SM or similar to wrap around a tree)

Looking forward to reading your ride reports with the T800XC. :)
Spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #62
CJL00
What's The Rush?

Oddometer: 480
Hi Danny,

Enjoying your thoughts on the new Tiger. I was a staunch Triumph owner and after many years (read decades) of road riding on a few Daytona's I bought a 955i Tiger to explore more back roads. After 3 years on the Tiger I realised that it was a little too big and top heavy for where I was taking it, as well as a little too precious and easily damaged. At this time the F800GS was just released and as Triumph had nothing remotely suitable for what I was after I unfortunately changed brands.

I have been watching the reports on the new Tiger and am trying very hard not to be impressed as it is hard to justify selling the BMW as it really has done nothing wrong and fulfils it's tasks perfectly. OK, there are some things that could be improved on but you have pointed out it is the same with the Tiger.

Unusually for this site you are quiet close. If you ever wanted to meet up for a ride we could do some real world comparison reports between the two bikes. You appear to ride at a faster pace than I do and we both appear prepared to take the bikes almost anywhere and I would be more than happy to allow you to ride my bike back to back with yours over the same roads in the same conditions. My bike is fitted with the Rallye Moto steering dampener, raised bars, Mk3 Pivot Pegs and plenty of protection bars, just in case.

Either way, it is good to get some real world information on the Tiger in this part of the world. At one Triumph rally we went to they explained how, at the time around 2002, they made 13 different versions of every model to meet the different safety and emission standards of the different countries around the world. They also have different levels of "standard" fitment for different countries. I know the F800GS here comes with the trip computer and the LED blinkers and rear lights, among other things, as standard which are optional extras in most other countries. That would have to make for some variations to performance.

Cheers

Chris
CJL00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #63
Inselburg
Mister Retour

Oddometer: 31
Thumb Subscribed

List of changes I have made or intend to make when the parts come in:

>Kenda Big Block tires - installed

>SW Motech engine guards - ordered

>AltRider skid plate - ordered

Front fender risers for tire clearance. I will make these frome stainless steel rather than pay a ridiculous price to Touratech.

I'm interested in how people guard or protect against mud and splash into the interior parts of the bike.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #64
dhula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I asked about bypassing the clutch safety switch & my dealer said it has multiple functions. He asked me to please not muck with it.
One of the functions is that when in gear and clutch lever released the engine speed goes up about 100-200 rpm over idle speed. This could be a function of different maps where it's "in gear and going" compared to "in gear and waiting" perhaps

Apart from that and the starter lock out I can't think of what else the clutch switch will do.
Stand switch unsure of what else it will do apart from starter lockout.
dhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:55 AM   #65
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
I've been wondering about this too. I do my air filter after every ride on my KLR and CRF. But I'm usually with people in dusty conditions. So far that hasn't happened on the Tiger. I haven't had the tank off to look yet, but any chance of a pre filter?
You could put a pre filter in the airbox snorkel. It's located left hand side. One bolt secures it then it just pulls off.
I've actually removed mine as it gives a nice space for a ratchet set.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #66
oziexplorer
fugarewe tribe member

Oddometer: 1,170
G'day Burren !

So - A Tiger !

Some great pictures as always

Triumph should be paying you for promoting the bike in it's intended habitat.

I'm Subscribed !

Good to see that you're getting out
oziexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #67
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Protaper?

Did you ever put the protaper bars on? If so do they have more sweep than the stock bars? Thanks Rod
Old 07-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #68
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
Excellent bike review! We share very similar riding preferences.

Would you mind elaborating on your experience with the F800GS and comparisons to your 800XC?
G'Day Mark,

The 800GS was a fairly competent bike and I can see why a lot of people like them, I just didn't gel with it during the 4 days of dirt exploring in NZ. I found the power delivery to be a bit abrupt down low (although the slippery conditions and TKC80's may have contributed to this). The suspension felt Ok but not nearly as confidence inspiring in the dirt as the Tiger and the motor had a roughness to it compared to the Triumph or a DL650 (although some may call this "character")? May have just been the bike I rode but it put the BM out of the running when I went looking this time. The front brake setup is a bit exposed too.

Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #69
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Handguard extensions - The 800s are not as good as the 1050s
Nice job on the hand guard extensions, they look like they would work well?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #70
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
What do you plan to do about the air filter?
G'Day Rob,

I have been in contact with Unifilter here in Australia and they have developped a pre-filter already.

I have got one on the way and will let you know how it goes. I reckon these are a necessity in Australia where the dust can be super fine and plentiful (except at the moment where it has been really wet).
Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #71
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Just fitted the bash plate from Triumph. Anybody else unimpressed? Coverage is good, but it's flimsy. Of course, so is the bracket it mounts to. Kinda wish there was some frame under there instead of just the oil pan to attach to. I guess I won't be able to bash this thing off rocks like I do my other bikes.
I looked at the Triumph plate on the Demo bike and decided on the SW Motech as it seems a bit sturdier? Happy with the fit and finish of the Motech plate and engine protection bars so far.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #72
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretedge View Post
Really interesting build up and review thus far. I just picked up my 800 XC in Denver and rode it 650 miles home to Moab over tarmac and dirt roads. I've got TKC 80's on mine and I'm seriously impressed w/ the capabilities of this bike. I share your opinion that it's a little doughy on the low end. I had a hard time getting the back end to break loose in the dirt, but that may also be attributed to the TKC's, which grip really, really well.

You've given me some good ideas for my own bike. Definitely need to get a rear mud extender and do something about the rocks and mud that spray up from the front tire. Just ordered some neoprene fork seal covers for the front. Gotta figure out what to do about the rear shock. I'll be watching to see how your solution works out.

Thanks again for the great write-up. I'm definitely in!
G'Day,

I am starting to get the hang of sliding the Tiger and I think the engine is definately loosening up as time goes on.

I spent a few hours in the shed on the weekend and fitted up the Acerbis rear shock protector. I ended up trimming about a third of it off as I was concerned with it catching on the tyre as it expands (my old XR650R used to do this). I mounted it with a single bolt and alloy plates on the bottom of the battery box (be careful when drilling, some important wires live there ). I also added some adhesive backed rubber strip to the swingarm to stop it rubbing as the suspension moves through its travel. I was pretty happy with they way it came together and you can see from the photo below that it does a good job of keeping the debris away from the shock.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #73
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Anybody bypassed the clutch and kickstand safeties yet? Looks like a pretty simple case of splicing some wires. Just want to know if anybody found out the hard way it screwed up something in the computer. If I hit the starter button, I need it to work. Now. Not try to get the bike in neutral, clutch pulled in, kick stand up, while I'm hanging off the bike on single track and my dumb ass snubbed it. That's why I need my starter to work. I did these mods on all the other bikes and I can't even count the times it's saved my ass.
I thought about it but I am concerned about the impact on the FI system. I temporarily bypassed the clutch cut-out switch on my DL650 and it made the bike run rich so I am hesitant to play with this one. Getting rid of the sidestand switch (as they have been prone to failure on my dirt bikes in the past) would be good though? Surely the sidestand sensor wouldn't be wrapped up in the mapping
Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #74
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
Good point. Kinda wish I never asked now...getting hammered here a bit!! hahaha.

I say, it's Burren's bike.....ride it like you want and let it rip BR!! We only pass this way one time, ya know?!

Besides, I like your combo. Sweet tiger and a nice woods bike as well. Assuming the carb is jetted of course...:]
Yeah, plenty of different opinions out there on Adventure bikes and what they should be used for. Even the manufacturers can't agree on what an "Adventure Bike" is so what chance have we got? It is a fact that bikes ridden in the dirt will tend to show a few marks and I guess that is a call everyone needs to make on their own. I used to be paranoid with my first V-Strom but then I got bored one day and took it bush. With a bit of prep work in advance (and some common sense on the trail) it is surprising how well they can hold up.

We are lucky here in Oz in that our DRZ's are the good ones. They are E model spec with the FCR and cams as standard. I have tried a few different dirt bikes over the years and keep coming back to the DRZ.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #75
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
Mine is still in the shop. Don't know what is wrong or when I might get it back. Piss poor luck with motorcycles this year. Lots of $$$ spent vs. ....

I'm enjoying your thread, pictures and comments. Best wishes with your new Tigger! I know, precisely, your motives and limitations (I've got a family same as yours- but a tad older) with the new ride. I'm on the same boat, half the world away from you... I bought my new XC with dreams of riding it to places I've not been before, seeing sights I've not seen before, all while just hours from home. I never thought I'd be enviously reading someone else's thread about kitting out their new black XC with envious eyes. Oh well, you roll the dice.

I'll keep reading. Cheers!
:freak
Must be frustrating to have a new bike parked up like that. Really hope that you get it sorted soon and be out there as planned. From my limited experience so far, I really think the bike will live up to those aspirations once it is running right. Good luck with getting it sorted.