Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #751
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,324
I do enjoy the Tiger and may keep it. Not too many people have 10 grand lying around anyway.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #752
cpittmx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Ras is that Minerva,Ohio? If so I'm just next door n Alliance.
cpittmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #753
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,324
Yes, Minerva, Ohio.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #754
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
I would like to know what you guys think.

I am considering the Touratech Engine Crash Bar

and the Touratech Fairing Crash Bar

I kinda wish they were available in black. On a black tiger with black frame do you think these 'silver' accents will look ok?

Has anyone seen them? I wonder how well they protect:? I wonder how far the lower crash bur sticks out? Does it stick out far enough to keep enough of the bike off the ground?

Like you said. I don't think they stick out far enough. I don't like them. There is not enough protection.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #755
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Nothing wrong with the OEM engine crash bars.

And also, the side fairings are cheap and designed to crack in the event of a fall. In the Uk the top fairing is about 25 quid so you'd need to go through a lot of them to meet the price of the TT fairing bars so I don't really see the point in them.
Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #756
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I agree. I have the Triumph engine guards, and the Highway dirtbikes handguards on my XC. I have dropped my bike several times and all that has touched down is the engine guards (easily touched up), the handguards (also easily touched up) and the rear footpegs - nothing else. Just keep a can of satin black spray paint around and you will be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
Nothing wrong with the OEM engine crash bars.

And also, the side fairings are cheap and designed to crack in the event of a fall. In the Uk the top fairing is about 25 quid so you'd need to go through a lot of them to meet the price of the TT fairing bars so I don't really see the point in them.
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #757
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
I would have had the HDB guards if they werent so damned expensive with the import tax and shipping etc. They look like really good gear though. I got barkbusters in the end which are fine but the bar clamps are hard work to get sited correctly.
Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #758
clax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
engine guards

On the other side of the coin I too have the Triumph engine guards, which in my mind offer pretty good protection. I will tell you though; that I did break a plastic piece when I went down about 5 times in one day riding on snow and ice with heideaeu's (check my blog to see the nice repair job i did with black duct tape). Anyway, the other engine guards do offer more protection, but alas the price! Especially if you already have the Triumph ones, cause those will be worth half price to sell off. Ya, and bigbike is right, the side pieces are only $45 canadian. I'm stickin with the facto's for now.

cheers,
Clay D
http://tigerclay.blogspot.com/

clax screwed with this post 02-17-2012 at 03:59 PM Reason: wanted to add something
clax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #759
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by METIGER View Post
How on earth do you clean all that cr@p off the bike ??
Just sit it outside in the rain...............it will come good!

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #760
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Fork Settings

I have been tinkering with fork settings trying to avoid a tendancy to bottom in the dirt and I think they may be sorted. I am running slightly stiffer, progressive wound Wilbers Springs and I have upped the Oil Level to 102mm (from 107mm standard). Unfortunately I was originally led astray by the Wilbers catalogue (and rep) who advised that the standard height was 120mm and that Wilbers recommended a 130mm height. At 120mm, with the lighter 5wt oil that Wilbers recommends, this made the bike even more prone to bottoming than the standard setup so it is good to have it sorted now.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #761
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
I have just had a call from Ralle Moto to advise that their damper unit will be ready to go in the next couple of days. Looks like they have done a nice job of integrating it around the ignition switch.

Although the Tiger is a very stable bike in my experience, I like the security of a damper for the unexpected (rocks, roots, ruts etc) where it can be really beneficial.

Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #762
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
Fork Settings

I have been tinkering with fork settings trying to avoid a tendancy to bottom in the dirt and I think they may be sorted. I am running slightly stiffer, progressive wound Wilbers Springs and I have upped the Oil Level to 102mm (from 107mm standard). Unfortunately I was originally led astray by the Wilbers catalogue (and rep) who advised that the standard height was 120mm and that Wilbers recommended a 130mm height. At 120mm, with the lighter 5wt oil that Wilbers recommends, this made the bike even more prone to bottoming than the standard setup so it is good to have it sorted now.
Good job being first into the forks an' all. Thanks for finding the standard oil level setting.
I would think though that those new settings will be making it quite harsh on the road. I was actually thinking of trying to soften mine slighty. We don't have your sort of high speed trails over here so bottoming out is not a problem I've encountered.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #763
C5INC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Front Fender is Junk!

Anybody building a better front fender yet? The rear mounts on mine broke in the middle of nowhere NV, so we did a roadside ziptie repair which was holding good until we hit mud. When the zipties broke the fender rotated forward, broke out of the fork mounts and I ran over it! Straped the now 2 piece fender on the rack and rode home fenderless hoping no sticks or rocks would catch the brake crossover lines. I'm guessing rocks carrying up the tire and spitting out the front are what caused the rear mounts to break. The Triunph fender extension probably makes it worse. I doubt Triumph will warranty it but I'm gonna try. Definately going to raise the new one 15-20mm! I looked at a BMW F800 front fender and it is nearly identical, although it has more tire clearance. Is this the best these companies can do on their bad ass adventure bikes?!
C5INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #764
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5INC View Post
Anybody building a better front fender yet? The rear mounts on mine broke in the middle of nowhere NV, so we did a roadside ziptie repair which was holding good until we hit mud. When the zipties broke the fender rotated forward, broke out of the fork mounts and I ran over it! Straped the now 2 piece fender on the rack and rode home fenderless hoping no sticks or rocks would catch the brake crossover lines. I'm guessing rocks carrying up the tire and spitting out the front are what caused the rear mounts to break. The Triunph fender extension probably makes it worse. I doubt Triumph will warranty it but I'm gonna try. Definately going to raise the new one 15-20mm! I looked at a BMW F800 front fender and it is nearly identical, although it has more tire clearance. Is this the best these companies can do on their bad ass adventure bikes?!
Can't work out if you had the extender on when it broke or not ? I think not (but correct me if I'm wrong) and if that's correct then of course Triumph won't warranty it - you got it filled with mud and it broke. Why would they warranty that ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #765
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
I don't know where to find it yet, but I plan on putting dual brake lines on my front. These pictures show the split at the top & the lines run down one on each tube. That way you can run without a front fender and nothing will happen.