Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #766
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Can't work out if you had the extender on when it broke or not ? I think not (but correct me if I'm wrong) and if that's correct then of course Triumph won't warranty it - you got it filled with mud and it broke. Why would they warranty that ?

I agree.
You should have spotted that the guard was a close fit and done something about it. I certainly did and bought the Touratrash raisers before doing any serious dirt/mud.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #767
C5INC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Can't work out if you had the extender on when it broke or not ? I think not (but correct me if I'm wrong) and if that's correct then of course Triumph won't warranty it - you got it filled with mud and it broke. Why would they warranty that ?
Yes, the Triumph extension was on when the rear mounts broke before the mud. Running down a graded gravel road I could hear rocks going through it and saw several fly out in front of me like a bullet. If you put full knobbies on it would be like a shotgun! I really don't expect them to warranty it, but I do want them to know what a P.O.S. it is so maybe they will improve the design.
C5INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #768
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
I have just had a call from Ralle Moto to advise that their damper unit will be ready to go in the next couple of days. Looks like they have done a nice job of integrating it around the ignition switch.

Although the Tiger is a very stable bike in my experience, I like the security of a damper for the unexpected (rocks, roots, ruts etc) where it can be really beneficial.

I'm amazed you've gone for a steering damper really. I've just had my forks done too - more progressive, bit stiffer etc, but the last thing i would want now is a damper. I want the ability to have the front bob around, not reduce it.
Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #769
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5INC View Post
Yes, the Triumph extension was on when the rear mounts broke before the mud. Running down a graded gravel road I could hear rocks going through it and saw several fly out in front of me like a bullet. If you put full knobbies on it would be like a shotgun! I really don't expect them to warranty it, but I do want them to know what a P.O.S. it is so maybe they will improve the design.
Be happy it didn't hit you like this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667236
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #770
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Not sure what you expect them to change What is it you think they could do better ?

It's a mudguard, it covers the wheel. Short of making it out of steel, there's always a chance it will get broke. For me, that kind of thing is the price I pay for doing the stuff I do.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #771
C5INC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Not sure what you expect them to change What is it you think they could do better ?

It's a mudguard, it covers the wheel. Short of making it out of steel, there's always a chance it will get broke. For me, that kind of thing is the price I pay for doing the stuff I do.
First of all the brake line cross over is just asking for trouble. BMW F800 is the same way. Why not run seperate lines up the fork legs & T together up high? With the brake lines out of the way a simple plastic fender could be mounted like dirt bikes have been forever to the bottom of the triple tree or on a fork brace. Simple enough?
C5INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #772
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
I'm amazed you've gone for a steering damper really. I've just had my forks done too - more progressive, bit stiffer etc, but the last thing i would want now is a damper. I want the ability to have the front bob around, not reduce it.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #773
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
First of all the brake line cross over is just asking for trouble. BMW F800 is the same way. Why not run seperate lines up the fork legs & T together up high? With the brake lines out of the way a simple plastic fender could be mounted like dirt bikes have been forever to the bottom of the triple tree or on a fork brace. Simple enough?
Now you've explained yourself, yes

I think if you're going to run separate lines that far up, you might as well go for totally separate lines from the master cylinder. Does anybody know if cost is the only reason they run the setup they do ?

BTW, I don't disagree with you on the current brake line setup not being ideal.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #774
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
I have just had a call from Ralle Moto to advise that their damper unit will be ready to go in the next couple of days. Looks like they have done a nice job of integrating it around the ignition switch.

Although the Tiger is a very stable bike in my experience, I like the security of a damper for the unexpected (rocks, roots, ruts etc) where it can be really beneficial.

Nice, this is on my to get list.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #775
cug
--

Quote:
BTW, I don't disagree with you on the current brake line setup not being ideal.
If you check the thread I quoted above - the break line was what was causing a colossal crash of that F800GS. The brake line there is attached to the front fender, the front fender broke off and flew away and the brake line then caught the front knobbie tire (D606).

It made me rethink fitting knobbie tires on these bikes with the low fenders and the brake lines as they are - personally I wouldn't do it. I'd start with routing the lines differently, possibly two lines from the master cylinder as you point out, and only then raise the fender at least an inch or even more.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #776
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
You obviously have no clue what a damper does by this statement. But, if you think you can handle a front end of the bike better without a damper installed then more power to you.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #777
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
If you check the thread I quoted above - the break line was what was causing a colossal crash of that F800GS. The brake line there is attached to the front fender, the front fender broke off and flew away and the brake line then caught the front knobbie tire (D606).

It made me rethink fitting knobbie tires on these bikes with the low fenders and the brake lines as they are - personally I wouldn't do it. I'd start with routing the lines differently, possibly two lines from the master cylinder as you point out, and only then raise the fender at least an inch or even more.
I've watched that vid - it is scary to see that. I thought there was some discussion as to what actually happened
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 02-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #778
cug
--

Quote:
I've watched that vid - it is scary to see that. I thought there was some discussion as to what actually happened
If I recall correctly (!!), the thinking was that a larger stone was picked up by the knobbie, pressed under the front fender which then ripped. Whether it had previous damage - no idea, but possible and maybe even likely. Nevertheless you can see the signs from the brake line on the front tire, when you look at a F800GS closely how this is put together, this is the likely scenario.

It's damn scary. I really don't want to be in that position and it was one hell of a lucky day for Joe. It's just something to think about that these bikes aren't really build to go too much off-road or off-tarmac for that matter. The manufacturers cover their asses in the user manuals and for a good reason! A real off-road bike is build quite differently. Not that these bikes can't deal with it, it's just that they aren't really purpose-designed for it. They are designed to look the part, to deal with some harsher terrain, but in the end, they are upright, comfortable, off-road-worthy looking road bikes.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #779
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,295
Shit happens when you ride off road. Deal with it or don't do it!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #780
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,295
Quote:
Um, apparently, like already stated, your not sure what your talking about so I'll let it pass this time. But when you do get head shake or you do get thrown to the ground by a tiny little stick in the road, or (the list goes on) come back and let us all know how it went for you...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote