Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #976
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post

I see this a lot. Especially with the new service bulletin tune. My mileage went to shit after it was installed. I think some people really fail to grasp just how desolate some places in this world are. Places like where I ride nearly every weekend. Very easy to plan a route with 300+ miles between fuel stops. If I've got the cash, I'll be putting one on.
I was in this position the other night at 10 p.m. on a desolate road hoping to find a fuel stop. Not a good feeling.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #977
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
So what's the actual limit? I'm yet to need more than 4.1gals (US) ever. How much of the stock tank is usable?
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #978
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
So what's the actual limit? I'm yet to need more than 4.1gals (US) ever. How much of the stock tank is usable?
depends on how fast your going, how nice you are with the right hand etc. carry a little gas can around and run it out so you know...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #979
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
I was in this position the other night at 10 p.m. on a desolate road hoping to find a fuel stop. Not a good feeling.
You do know that this can happen no matter how big your tank is right

I have a Clarke 4.7 on my XR and it's the ONLY bike I have ever run out of gas on...on a highway....in the fast lane....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #980
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
To me this is the critical question. How many guys have run their Tiger dry? How far did they go on a tank? And after running dry, how much gas to fill up?
If the 800 computer/gauges are anything like my 1050 ... then you may have more in reserve than you think.

Also, maybe Triumph could configure a Tune that would give best economy and still allow the bike to run well?

On my 1050 I've gone an additional 50 miles AFTER the reverse countdown said Zero. Low fuel light was on long before that. I kept going. And going.
Yes, this last 50 miles I was soft on the throttle.

When I filled at around 250 miles, it still showed about 1/2 or 1/3 gallon remaining based on tank capacity. I've never run out on my 1050 but intend to do so before next long tour. IMHO, knowing true real world range is essential if riding in remote areas.

In most cases, I begin looking for fuel around 180 miles or so, but have gone past 250 miles without running out. Can it be possible that the 1050 Tiger would get better MPG than the 800?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #981
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
You do know that this can happen no matter how big your tank is right

I have a Clarke 4.7 on my XR and it's the ONLY bike I have ever run out of gas on...on a highway....in the fast lane....
I fully suspect i would have been in the same situation with a bigger tank.
Were you hunched over at 70 trying to check the petcock to see if it was on reserve?
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #982
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
I fully suspect i would have been in the same situation with a bigger tank.
Were you hunched over at 70 trying to check the petcock to see if it was on reserve?
Well, I knew it was on reserve as I'd switched the tap not 10 miles before

Problem with those tanks is there are 'wings' on either side and so at some point the petcock side runs dry and there's still gas in the other 'wing'. Tipping the bike over etc. doesn't work so I was stuck. I now carry one of those siphon thingy's so I can move gas from one side to the other. I also adopt a 'fill it whenever the opportunity presents itself' approach on rides.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #983
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Also, maybe Triumph could configure a Tune that would give best economy and still allow the bike to run well?
Possibly but why would you want a Tiger that ran like a F800?
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #984
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
To me this is the critical question. How many guys have run their Tiger dry?
Exactly! I'm not sure I want to run mine dry. The entire tank can't be usable, but I've never needed more that 4.1 or 4.2 gallons and I've been past "Zero to empty" a few times.

I was hoping someone would have a great story about running out of gas and could say how much was needed to fill it up!
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #985
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,389
Quote:
Can it be possible that the 1050 Tiger would get better MPG than the 800?
My 955 Tiger does. About 10% better.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #986
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,720
Quote:
Can it be possible that the 1050 Tiger would get better MPG than the 800?
The Tiger 1050 revs significantly lower at the same speed as the 800. And it has a 6th gear that actually makes sense. 5th to 6th on the 800 is a freaking joke. Feels like 200rpm difference or so ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #987
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,020
Quote:
To me this is the critical question. How many guys have run their Tiger dry? How far did they go on a tank? And after running dry, how much gas to fill up?
I don't really understand this way of thinking. After owning a bike for a few months you get an idea of your mpg under different conditions and how far you normally go before filling up and how much gas that takes and, in the case of the tiger, what your calculated mpg is and how that relates to actual. So, normally you go somewhere around 200 miles and it takes 4 gallons of gas. There you go, plan for your range to be somewhere around 200 (or whatever). If your fill ups have to be further than 200 9or whatever) or so have some spare fuel. Anything you go beyond your expected max is gravy but if you plan for a distance that is borderline be prepared for it.

FWIW my average mpg is around 53 (and climbing) and the most I have put in my tank is about 4.5 gallons (side stand fill to a level just about the internal bars).
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #988
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
The Tiger 1050 revs significantly lower at the same speed as the 800. And it has a 6th gear that actually makes sense. 5th to 6th on the 800 is a freaking joke. Feels like 200rpm difference or so ...
agree. Too bad 1st is so tall. On a sportbike sure you need all the gears close but for a bike meant for travel it makes no sense
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #989
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
one bar remaining

Quote:
Exactly! I'm not sure I want to run mine dry. The entire tank can't be usable, but I've never needed more that 4.1 or 4.2 gallons and I've been past "Zero to empty" a few times.

I was hoping someone would have a great story about running out of gas and could say how much was needed to fill it up!
not a great story but I think I ran it dry, it started to sputter at a red light, I went another block after getting back on the throttle and swishing it around a bit. Found a gas station and it sputtered a little more as I pulled in.

The disturbing part was there was still one 'bar' remaining on the fuel gauge. Usually I can clear all the bars and ride around a bit showing empty. I was convinced I still had fuel left and was thinking 'gee, am I ever getting great mileage out of this tank!' It was unreal!

I keep detailed records with the 'mileage' app on my droid.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...4ubWlsZWFnZSJd

I filled the tank with 18.901 litres or 4.9931 US Gallons or 4.1576 Imperial Gallons
Incidentally I went 335 kms or 208 miles with that tank , not my best fuel econmy after all

I wonder if anyone else has had a 'sticky bar'? On the fuel gauge I mean.
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #990
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I don't really understand this way of thinking. After owning a bike for a few months you get an idea of your mpg under different conditions and how far you normally go before filling up and how much gas that takes and, in the case of the tiger, what your calculated mpg is and how that relates to actual. So, normally you go somewhere around 200 miles and it takes 4 gallons of gas. There you go, plan for your range to be somewhere around 200 (or whatever). If your fill ups have to be further than 200 9or whatever) or so have some spare fuel. Anything you go beyond your expected max is gravy but if you plan for a distance that is borderline be prepared for it.

FWIW my average mpg is around 53 (and climbing) and the most I have put in my tank is about 4.5 gallons (side stand fill to a level just about the internal bars).
All good in theory ... and paying attention and getting to know your bike is certainly important and works 95% of the time. But I like to know ... FOR SURE ... how far until empty ... and how much "gravy" I've got!

Consider the unexpected: getting lost, wrong turn, double back to find a riding buddy, night riding (stations closed) or any number of other scenarios I've been a part of numerous times. In Arizona I'd really want to know my range limit. Hate to run out in 120F Desert heat on a lonely road. I don't trust variances and inconsistencies of fuel gauges, low fuel lights or LCD countdowns readings. They are known to screw up.

"Somewhere around" ... or "Whatever" ? No thanks, more precise number please and more certainty. Running the tank dry is the only true way to really know your range and to know how much is left in the tank that you can't use. Normally I do as you do. I fill up at appropriate times. But I like to know "worst case" just in case. For many, not an issue. For some, could be.

Having ridden Baja and the Sonoran Desert in Northern Mexico a few decades, I've actually been out there solo, where mistakes could be "difficult". I'm no hero, I like to build in a survival cushion when possible.

Got Gas? Water? Another abandon Baja settlement. Nothing but ruins. Very common scene. !No hay nadie!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote