Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #1006
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
good work, your tiger still looks like its got the show room shine on it. go get that thing dirty!
It's not that clean, but I am a bit fussy with it, I usually pressure wash it after each ride and once a month I'll give it a good bath and detail. Next week I am off for a three day trip to Cockle Creek, southern tip of Tasmania, should be about a 1000km + trip mainly gravel, then you'll see her dirty!

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com

Windy Rider screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 10:38 AM
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #1007
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81husky View Post
As a soon to be new owner of an XC, does running the bike out of gas cause any problems with the fuel injection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81husky View Post
Thanks guys. It's a PIA on a diesel.
It's a PIA on an OLD diesel. The new "common rail" types are self priming which is the same as our Tiger's EFI system. So the answer to the question is "no" it's not a problem.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #1008
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
good work, your tiger still looks like its got the show room shine on it. go get that thing dirty!
Yeah! this is what a Tiger should look like....
Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #1009
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,343
A guy that I frequently ride with ran his tiger dry on the highway yesterday on purpose. 210 miles. He was most likely riding 85+ miles an hour the entire time and he has a leo pipe installed.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #1010
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
A guy that I frequently ride with ran his tiger dry on the highway yesterday on purpose. 210 miles. He was most likely riding 85+ miles an hour the entire time and he has a leo pipe installed.
How many miles did he get after his fuel warning light?
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #1011
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
How many miles did he get after his fuel warning light?
Not sure. He was't paying any attention to that.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #1012
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
I have had mine stall as it rolled in to bowser once after having to ride past a servo that had run out of fuel. I was pretty fortunate, you can't time it much better than that! The bike took 19.25 Litres (pretty good for a 19 ltr tank).

On two occasions now I have managed to sneak 38km's past zero on the trip meter, so I think that is about the limit of the safety cushion.

As for total range, it is hard to work out because of the variation in fuel economy. Depending on riding conditions, it can change from 20km/ltr plus on a straight stretch of highway, right down to 12km/ltr in the bush.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #1013
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
I have had mine stall as it rolled in to bowser once after having to ride past a servo that had run out of fuel. I was pretty fortunate, you can't time it much better than that! The bike took 19.25 Litres (pretty good for a 19 ltr tank).

On two occasions now I have managed to sneak 38km's past zero on the trip meter, so I think that is about the limit of the safety cushion.

As for total range, it is hard to work out because of the variation in fuel economy. Depending on riding conditions, it can change from 20km/ltr plus on a straight stretch of highway, right down to 12km/ltr in the bush.
To where do you fill the tank? To the bars? Just covering the bars? Or right up to the near top?
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #1014
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:

I went for a long ride on Saturday that was mostly open country roads, but with some aggressive twisty riding in sections. Filled up at 203 miles with one bar still showing on the fuel gauge; the tank took 4.27 gallons (US) to fill it back up to the same level as previously (bottom edge of the fuel filler neck -- FWIW, my tank doesn't have the bars in it so I can't use those for reference).

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #1015
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I went for a long ride on Saturday that was mostly open country roads, but with some aggressive twisty riding in sections. Filled up at 203 miles with one bar still showing on the fuel gauge; the tank took 4.27 gallons (US) to fill it back up to the same level as previously (bottom edge of the fuel filler neck -- FWIW, my tank doesn't have the bars in it so I can't use those for reference).

--mark
I would account for the low mileage I reffered to mostly because of his speed! I think 250 mile should be obtainable! I am going to try it out on Fri!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #1016
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
I would account for the low mileage I reffered to mostly because of his speed!

Oh, yeah, agreed completely. High-speed highway riding cuts my Tiger's fuel efficiency down too. I posted my info just in case anyone's interested in typical performance on a moderately-paced open-road ride.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #1017
fireitup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post

I just finished a 1600k dirt ride. One stage I pushed it out to 315km to next refill. I was travellling at 110km'h most of the way.When the tank light first come on it said I had 72km to empty. The computer said I had 22km left when I got there..It took 17 litres of fuel which means I still had 2 litres left. Being that I was getting 5L/100km I would comfortably get another 40km before it stopped. So total distance for me at that speed would be max 350km to empty

"Dream the Ride, Ride the Dream"
fireitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #1018
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
MoTech or LoTech?

I recently fitted the SW Motech skid plate. The first one they sent had a seam that was mangled. I am amazed it cleared quality control. Twisted Throttle was nice about swapping it out. The second one they sent had a rivet that was so close to the edge, the aluminum was bulging out the side. Twisted Throttle was nice about swapping that one out as well, although by now I had missed a ride I didn't want to do with the stock skidplate. The third one they sent looked fine, but they were still able to screw it up, literally. There are only two screws in the kit. They need to be a certain length, not too short and not too long. They should be identical, but they were not. One was too long. I cut it off with a hacksaw, and mentioned it to Twisted Throttle. Never heard back from them about that.

Once again, legendary German quality proves to be just that -- a legend.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #1019
Reefdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
G/Day Burren Rider/ Danny

first of all thanks for starting this great thread, which has kept on track for 80% of the time
I currently got a F800GS which has 20K on it, from riding here ,Iran and central asia... Like this bike but when reaching 5000 rpm it turns to shit,,,vibrations through the bars and frame,,,spoken to other 800gs riders and they say the same.... but apart from that its fantastic and hasnt let me down EVER

THEN i saw the 800xc 5 days ago and fell in love with it,,now i want one

the only thing is this STEPPER MOTOR problem I read about here and in other forums
Has this problem been sorted out by triumph....????
With this problem i wouldnt be going up into remote places like iran,Turkmenistan Tajikistan etc etc
ALSO
The Aux tank that is being developed is so ugly and big,,,be better and cheaper to get 2 X 7 liter fuel bladders

ALSO
does the 800XC have a diagnostic tool for a laptop computer like the F800gs has which is called the GS 911 and is a fault finding tool

the thing that is also leaning me to the XC is that my wife can get a seat to fit her short legs 5' 4",,me 5'7" and that way we can have the same bikes therefore one set of spares

thanks in advanvce

Shane
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #1020
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
the only thing is this STEPPER MOTOR problem I read about here and in other forums
Has this problem been sorted out by triumph....????
With this problem i wouldnt be going up into remote places like iran,Turkmenistan Tajikistan etc etc
ALSO
The Aux tank that is being developed is so ugly and big,,,be better and cheaper to get 2 X 7 liter fuel bladders

ALSO
does the 800XC have a diagnostic tool for a laptop computer like the F800gs has which is called the GS 911 and is a fault finding tool
Triumph does have a fix for the stepper motor issue.

For diagnostics, you can use TuneECU (freeware) to directly access the ECU and perform diagnostics and remaps. There is also a pay software package called DealerTool that allows for clearing the service icon and bleeding the ABS equipped bikes.