Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #1021
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
G/Day Burren Rider/ Danny

first of all thanks for starting this great thread, which has kept on track for 80% of the time
I currently got a F800GS which has 20K on it, from riding here ,Iran and central asia... Like this bike but when reaching 5000 rpm it turns to shit,,,vibrations through the bars and frame,,,spoken to other 800gs riders and they say the same.... but apart from that its fantastic and hasnt let me down EVER

THEN i saw the 800xc 5 days ago and fell in love with it,,now i want one

the only thing is this STEPPER MOTOR problem I read about here and in other forums
Has this problem been sorted out by triumph....????
With this problem i wouldnt be going up into remote places like iran,Turkmenistan Tajikistan etc etc
ALSO
The Aux tank that is being developed is so ugly and big,,,be better and cheaper to get 2 X 7 liter fuel bladders

ALSO
does the 800XC have a diagnostic tool for a laptop computer like the F800gs has which is called the GS 911 and is a fault finding tool

the thing that is also leaning me to the XC is that my wife can get a seat to fit her short legs 5' 4",,me 5'7" and that way we can have the same bikes therefore one set of spares

thanks in advanvce

Shane
Shane - I believe the stepper motor 'fix' involves ensuring it is regularly cleaned and lubed - I think some have had the motor replaced but I'm not sure it was proven to definitely be at fault. I do think it's a very small number of bikes that were affected.

As for the diagnostic tool, I'm not aware of the capabilities of the GS 911 tool but there is a freeware app (for use with an appropriate cable) that you can use to change maps, clear fault codes and the like. Software can be downloaded here - I got my cable from Amazon so I'm not sure if that will work for you. Check the Tune ECU web, they have more details on the correct cable you will need.

HTH....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Mercury264 screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 07:30 AM
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #1022
Jeroen!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but upon inspection of a new Tiger800 at the dealer, we noticed the sidestandswitch has secretly been modified to a different configuration. I did not take a picture, but someone with a newer tiger might take a look.
I killed my sidestandswitch in Morocco, luckily the switch was the only thing that hit a big rock, I was able to steer the rest of the tiger to safety, or it would have been a badly damaged rim. A big clunk was heard, and the switch was dangling on the wires...

As for pics:

On a sidenote: if you're looking to go offroad, don't buy triumph's tank bag. It's rubbish, bought mine right before the trip, and it didn't even make it to the finish... :S

Tiger 800xc '11

Jeroen! screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 08:52 AM
Jeroen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #1023
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
Once again, legendary German quality proves to be just that -- a legend.
I'd go with "myth".
Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #1024
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Triumph does have a fix for the stepper motor issue.

OK, what is the fix?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #1025
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Cool2 Buttin' in

Just got back from a 25-mile ride in the Owyhee Desert. I rode with 2 KTM 250s and a Suzuki Dr 650. We were on ATV/motorcycle trails that featured all the things you don't want to encounter on a large dual sport bike, such as deep, sugar sand, baby-head rocks, loose climbs, whoops, etc. About 95 percent of the time I was in first or second gear, and about 75 percent of the time I was out of the saddle.

The bike did great for a beast that size. It's not a dirt bike, and never will be. First gear is too tall, and I had to carry more speed than I probably wanted, but the bike is nicely balanced and manageable in all those hairy situations. There were some pucker moments, but I kept it rubber side down the whole trip. It doesn't like square hits, and after two whoops it starts bucking like a mule, but overall, I was really impressed how it handled.

This isn't a trail I would normally ride on that bike, but I was trailing those guys so I could shoot some photos. It all worked out, except for clipping a couple rocks with my HT panniers, but I can cover that later.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:12 AM   #1026
Reefdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Thanks for the reply Mercury
""""Shane - I believe the stepper motor 'fix' involves ensuring it is regularly cleaned and lubed"""

This is what i have been reading here since the start of the thread and TRIUMPH'S advice is to clean and lube every time it happens...thats not a fix,,thats a COP OUT

I ride in the dust and sand everytime i ride here even if on the black top the enviroment is not clean like the UK...So if i bought a tiger xc I will have to clean the stepper motor every time it gets dirty and stalls,,, that would be every ride

SORRY

Truimph have missed out on 2 bike sales if they cant fix
Come on Triumph pull ya finger out and fix this problem
my 2 cents worth
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #1027
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
Thanks for the reply Mercury
""""Shane - I believe the stepper motor 'fix' involves ensuring it is regularly cleaned and lubed"""

This is what i have been reading here since the start of the thread and TRIUMPH'S advice is to clean and lube every time it happens...thats not a fix,,thats a COP OUT

I ride in the dust and sand everytime i ride here even if on the black top the enviroment is not clean like the UK...So if i bought a tiger xc I will have to clean the stepper motor every time it gets dirty and stalls,,, that would be every ride

SORRY

Truimph have missed out on 2 bike sales if they cant fix
Come on Triumph pull ya finger out and fix this problem
my 2 cents worth
+1 reef dog, cleaning and lubing is NOT a fix. I have issues with my stepper motor and was able to get it to reset. The bike shop I took it to is saying the stepper motor is working fine, well, no shit I was able to get it to reset. Now I have to wait for it to act up again and take it back in so they see it is messed up.

I hate the shop here in Phoenix. The customer service is horrible.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #1028
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
Just got back from a 25-mile ride in the Owyhee Desert. I rode with 2 KTM 250s and a Suzuki Dr 650. We were on ATV/motorcycle trails that featured all the things you don't want to encounter on a large dual sport bike, such as deep, sugar sand, baby-head rocks, loose climbs, whoops, etc. About 95 percent of the time I was in first or second gear, and about 75 percent of the time I was out of the saddle.

The bike did great for a beast that size. It's not a dirt bike, and never will be. First gear is too tall, and I had to carry more speed than I probably wanted, but the bike is nicely balanced and manageable in all those hairy situations. There were some pucker moments, but I kept it rubber side down the whole trip. It doesn't like square hits, and after two whoops it starts bucking like a mule, but overall, I was really impressed how it handled.

This isn't a trail I would normally ride on that bike, but I was trailing those guys so I could shoot some photos. It all worked out, except for clipping a couple rocks with my HT panniers, but I can cover that later.
Where is this Desert?
I'm impressed you tried to follow KTM 250's! Can't imagine that on a 500 lb. bike! Nice work! Any pics?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #1029
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 332
Oil filter Guard

Spent the day in the shed hiding from the rain and this is what I made today, Oil filter guard out of Stainless steel. Happy how it came up

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #1030
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
Spent the day in the shed hiding from the rain and this is what I made today, Oil filter guard out of Stainless steel. Happy how it came up
Nice work!

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #1031
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
That oil filter guard is excellent fabrication. Isn't stainless difficult to cut and drill?

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #1032
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
That oil filter guard is excellent fabrication. Isn't stainless difficult to cut and drill?
Thanks, yep just need sharp good quality drill bits and tools. Also see the rear brake reservoir guard a few posts back.

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #1033
Fallacy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Nice work, looks great.
Fallacy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #1034
Krieg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Shane - I believe the stepper motor 'fix' involves ensuring it is regularly cleaned and lubed - I think some have had the motor replaced but I'm not sure it was proven to definitely be at fault. I do think it's a very small number of bikes that were affected.

As for the diagnostic tool, I'm not aware of the capabilities of the GS 911 tool but there is a freeware app (for use with an appropriate cable) that you can use to change maps, clear fault codes and the like. Software can be downloaded here - I got my cable from Amazon so I'm not sure if that will work for you. Check the Tune ECU web, they have more details on the correct cable you will need.

HTH....
Thanks so much for posting the info about Tune ECU! Just placed an order for the cable from Amazon. Just wondered if you have fiddled with the tool and diagnostics yet on your '12 Tiger and, if so, how easy was it?
Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #1035
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,844
hi all
been looking at the xc for some time but in some threads this heat issue keeps coming up ie..from another inmate... the stepper motor is a huge problem triumph dont give a toss-bloody heat comes of the engine, ok when standing up but in summer at lights you fry.

is there a fix for this?

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is online now   Reply With Quote