Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #1051
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
Thanks for the reply Mercury
""""Shane - I believe the stepper motor 'fix' involves ensuring it is regularly cleaned and lubed"""

This is what i have been reading here since the start of the thread and TRIUMPH'S advice is to clean and lube every time it happens...thats not a fix,,thats a COP OUT
I missed this one on my first reply. My understanding of the stepper motor though is that if you do the maintenance, it won't be an issue. If it was a ticking time bomb I could understand the reluctance to take it into remote area's (I wasn't thrilled when mine played up in the outback). Now that we know about the problem though and what needs to be done to prevent it, I think it has been relegated to a bit of additional maintenance
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #1052
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
Spent the day in the shed hiding from the rain and this is what I made today, Oil filter guard out of Stainless steel. Happy how it came up
Nice job. I am hopeless with Stainless so that looks like some pretty impressive backyard engineering
Old 05-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #1053
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
hi all
been looking at the xc for some time but in some threads this heat issue keeps coming up ie..from another inmate... the stepper motor is a huge problem triumph dont give a toss-bloody heat comes of the engine, ok when standing up but in summer at lights you fry.

is there a fix for this?
G'Day Mick,

I haven't ridden in traffic much with mine but on single trail where the temps start climbing it really hasn't been an issue? It definately feels a bit warmer on the legs than a single but I have never felt it was a problem?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #1054
Reefdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Cheers for the reply Danny
As I said before, when i saw the first xc here the other day it was love at first sight and very impressed with all the write ups bar the steppe motor issue

will have a test ride in a few months when i get back from my Europe ride and after summer here (41C at 0930 this am)

what batteries are you guys running in your XC's????

the sales guy here said they were putting a Ni-cad battery in their demo

all the best
Reef
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #1055
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 326
Stepper Motor Issue / Non Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
I missed this one on my first reply. My understanding of the stepper motor though is that if you do the maintenance, it won't be an issue. If it was a ticking time bomb I could understand the reluctance to take it into remote area's (I wasn't thrilled when mine played up in the outback). Now that we know about the problem though and what needs to be done to prevent it, I think it has been relegated to a bit of additional maintenance
Hi Burren,

Thanks for the comment about my home made Oil filter guard, I love to make things like this in the shed. Did you see the Rear brake reservoir guard that I made, back in post 1004.

I would like to add further comment on the stepper motor issue and tell what happen to me on this issue;
This was an issue for me from very early on from about 600km on the odometer, as I wasted no time getting the Tiger into the dirt and dusty conditions. After this ride I went home and gave the Tiger a wash and the problem seamed to go away. I told my dealer about it and they suggested to upload the latest map for the Tiger, which made a difference to the Tiger. Until last week I was toward the end of a 1300km ride and again in dusty conditions. I was able to get the bike to run normally by turning the bike on and off three or four times getting it to do its full cycle. Once I got home I went straight to My local dealer and informed them of the problem. So the Tiger was booked in for sugery. when I took her in I asked the mechanic if he could call me when he had it apart so I could have a look for my self what the problem was.

The mechanic was great in explaining it all to me and what the actual problem was. He explained to me that it was not actually the stepper motor that it was the arm that the stepper motor actuates, (see the picture bellow) Only on some Tigers the problem is the brass bush in this arm has not been lubricated during manufacture at the triumph factory therefore allowing dust to enter the bush and stop it from moving, the mechanic showed me the dust that he cleaned from inside this bush (it was amazing how much dust came out of this little bush).

The remidy this offending bush is to lubricate with 'Never Seize' and to never have this problem again.

This is a big job for self maintenance once the tank etc are off and then the air box the top of the Throttle bodies have to come off as this arm is between two of them. Once back together the carbys have to be sinked back together. The mechanic said if I wanted to check this myself in the future to bring it back in and he would sink the Throttle bodies again for me.

All is good again. I hope I have explained things right and have put some minds at ease to what the acual problem is. if you are worried about this and are giong on a big trip I would get it looked at. It took my mechanic about two & half hours to do this.

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com

Windy Rider screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 04:23 PM Reason: Fat fingers
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #1056
Reefdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Carby's!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought these XC's were fuel injected as below ???????????????????????????????

Specifications

Engine and Transmission
TypeLiquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line three-cylinder
Capacity799cc
Bore/Stroke74.0 x 61.9mm

Fuel SystemMultipoint sequential electronic fuel injection
ExhaustStainless steel 3 into 1, high level stainless steel silencer
Final DriveO ring chain
ClutchWet, multi-plate
Gearbox6-speed
Oil Capacity3.7 liters (1.0 US gals)

Reefdog screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 05:06 AM
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #1057
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,775
Quote:
Carby's!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought these XC's were fuel injected as below ???????????????????????????????

Specifications

Engine and Transmission
Capacity799cc
Bore/Stroke74.0 x 61.9mm

Final DriveO ring chain
ClutchWet, multi-plate
Gearbox6-speed

They are FI, WTF are you on about
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #1058
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Quote:
Carby's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Specifications

Engine and Transmission
Capacity799cc
Bore/Stroke74.0 x 61.9mm

Final DriveO ring chain
ClutchWet, multi-plate
Gearbox6-speed
Picky, yes I realise they are fuel injected, just trying to explain this to be helpful to fellow Tiger riders

Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #1059
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,775
Quote:
Picky, yes I realise they are fuel injected, just trying to explain this to be helpful to fellow Tiger riders
It was a great post Windy, very helpful.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #1060
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,464
Quote:
Thanks for the photo. Are you saying that the dust getting inside the bush is stopping the arm from moving?
Do you think that covering the whole of the outside of the bush with grease would prevent the dust from getting at the bush?
Never Seize = Copper grease????

Quote:
Carby's!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even though it's EFI the throttle bodies still need synchronising.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #1061
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Thanks for the photo. Are you saying that the dust getting inside the bush is stopping the arm from moving?
Do you think that covering the whole of the outside of the bush with grease would prevent the dust from getting at the bush?
The mechanic showed me the dust inside the bush, grease out side the bush, not sure?

Quote:
Even though it's EFI the throttle bodies still need synchronising.
This is what the mechanic said to me, he had to plug in the laptop and sink it. Maybe to do with the EFI

Windy Rider screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 06:01 AM Reason: Fat fingers again
Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #1062
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,464
Quote:
This is what the mechanic said to me, he had to plug in the laptop and sink it. Maybe to do with the EFI
It's exactly the same as having carbs. What you're doing is making sure the butterflies are all opening at the same time so that all the cylinders work at the same rate. That way you get the best out of the engine & smoother running because everything is working together.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #1063
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Fuel injection regulates, well fuel... throttle butterflies regulate air... fuel injection doesn't eliminate the need to regulate air nor to sync butterflies in multiple throttle bodies.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #1064
halfast3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I'm thinking that grease will just attract more dust/dirt. Perhaps it would be better to use a lube which penetrates and then dries non-sticky like Boeshield T-9 http://boeshield.com/features-benefits/auto-cycle/ or a bicycle chain wax.
halfast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #1065
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfast3 View Post
I'm thinking that grease will just attract more dust/dirt. Perhaps it would be better to use a lube which penetrates and then dries non-sticky like Boeshield T-9 http://boeshield.com/features-benefits/auto-cycle/ or a bicycle chain wax.
As said 100 times, yes... This thread is getting to be a broken record.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote