Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #1336
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Personally, I believe the set up on this type of bike is always going to be a compromise. Yes, if you're a fast rider off road you're going to find its limitations and the same applies if you take the bike on a track day. After all, it's not a race bike, it's an adventure bike. That is, a bike you can explore out of the way places and rely on the bike to get you home again. If you want to launch yourself off jumps, get a different bike. I think the suspension is fine as it is.

+1
I have a Husky TE630 for tougher offroad. It's 150lbs lighter with another couple of inches of suspension travel. Even it can pushed to its limits quite easily, it's not a cross country race bike or MX bike either. It's called a 'dualsport'. To me that's the difference between an 'adventure' bike and a dualsport. They make a whole line of bikes for that that are even another 75lbs lighter. So does KTM in their EXC series - great bikes BTW.

While I appreciate riders efforts to make the XC more dirtworthy, and don't wish to denigrate this thread in any way, but a guy has to understand his limits and act accordingly. And that's not even to mention the damage and accellerated wear when it's really pushed hard offroad.

The icon vid is entertaining. They are expert 'stunt' riders. Any XC owner that thinks they're going to duplicate that with their bike has been hoodwinked by a publicity stunt. The XC is a marvelous roadbike that can handle some off pavement going. IMHO if gnarly trail riding is your thing you chose the wrong motorbike.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #1337
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL8APEX View Post
I took my XC on a couple of two tracks last weekend, and was alarmed at how quickly the bike blew through the stroke on the front end. Problem is, I REALLY like the road manners of this motorcycle even though it does dive a little excessively on braking. I believe I will need stiffer fork springs and perhaps a slightly higher oil level to get a good compromise setup before re-evaluating more serious action.

For those of you who have done fork mods: Do you believe your additional off-road capability has come at the cost of on-road handling? I'm not willing to give up one for the other on this bike.

-Tom
Give Traxxion a call about their AK20 cartridges. You'll get compression and rebound adjustment, along with altered spring rates and oil levels. However, be sure the cartridges don't shorten the travel. I believe they are a "generic" cartridge that is adaptable to specific applications, so I think they have a stroke limit (hope that makes sense). With the adjustability, you'd be able to alter settings for the terrain.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #1338
IL8APEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
With the adjustability, you'd be able to alter settings for the terrain.
Yeah, I know that's probably where I'll end up. I've just spent a ton of money on accessories already and want to cool it until Springtime!

-Tom
IL8APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #1339
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Yeah, I know that's probably where I'll end up. I've just spent a ton of money on accessories already and want to cool it until Springtime!

-Tom
It's like the 675, all over again.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #1340
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:

-Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
It's like the 675, all over again.
It's like EVERY other bike on the planet. Except the ones that are extremely focused to begin with.
Whatever you choose, good luck with it. I hope you sort it to your satisfaction.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #1341
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Such a bad ass video!!!

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #1342
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Such a bad ass video!!!

+1...You got that shit right!

Awesome!!!

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #1343
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Such a bad ass video!!!

That was pretty cool, but I would have to say it was a better sales video for the 800XC than for the Icon gear.

Fasttrak
Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #1344
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
If Icon wants to assure me that I've bought a good product, I'm ok with that.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #1345
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
I wish I could tear up somebody else's Tiger. I'd probably get hurt, but it'd be fun.
I can't see what they did with that white tiger's front brakeline. Can anybody clue me in when he has no front fender, what is keeping it off of the front tire?

Rob Dirt screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 07:24 PM
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #1346
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I wish I could tear up somebody else's Tiger. I'd probably get hurt, but it'd be fun.
I can't see what they did with that white tiger's front brakeline. Can anybody clue me in when he has no front fender, what is keeping it off of the front tire?
You're gonna need a flat billed hat (just like the guys in the video)for them to answer that question. If you use the word "bro" a lot that might help.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #1347
henkew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
For those who don't know: when you are driving with abs off, if you only stop for a moment but would like to shut the engine off, do it with the killswitch. If you disable the killswitch, you can start again but the abs will still be off.
I think I'm missing the obvious here. When you say "disable the killswitch" do you mean there some sort of mod to disable it for this to work? Or does just turning the bike off with the switch do the trick?
henkew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #1348
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkew View Post
I think I'm missing the obvious here. When you say "disable the killswitch" do you mean there some sort of mod to disable it for this to work? Or does just turning the bike off with the switch do the trick?
You can't disable the killswitch. You can disable the ABS. If you turn the bike off with the killswitch and leave the key on your headlight stays on and your ABS stays disabled. If you switch the key off it resets the ABS back to active.

I've used the disable and it works fine. It's a bit of a hassle, but certainly better than not having the option.
The buttons are a little fiddly, and I've seen my computer just lock up, not respond to any buttons. Wait a few minutes or switch modes and its fine. Fiddly. Odd you can't leave the odo on the display either, have never heard of or sean that on any vehicle. Freakn' brits.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #1349
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
They made hard loop over wheel. You can see it in some shots.

However- there are better way. Just like they do it on dirt bikes - run cable through hard plastic tube.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #1350
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
You can't disable the killswitch.
I think to disable the killswitch means to set it to "RUN" so it's killing ability has been disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I've used the disable and it works fine. It's a bit of a hassle, but certainly better than not having the option. The buttons are a little fiddly, and I've seen my computer just lock up, not respond to any buttons. Wait a few minutes or switch modes and its fine. Fiddly. Odd you can't leave the odo on the display either, have never heard of or sean that on any vehicle. Freakn' brits.
Same here. Sometimes the buttons don't work. Also, agree about the ODO. It's weird.

Back to the ABS, I eventually tried some aggressive stops on gravel with the ABS on. It works amazingly well. Now the only time I disable it is when I know I'll ride a really steep downhill.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote