Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #1381
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I've read numerous complaints on it, no fixes.

Being a senior service technician I'm not satisfied simply replacing it at 12k being it doesn't fix the core problem of faulty design. After looking at the swingarm assy, I can see where the plastic/rubber chain gaurd on the under side has some play and it seems the noise is amplified when the chain hits the guard and then in turn hits the swingarm. I'm wondering if removing the guard and placing some sort of dampener/isolating material between the swingarm and the guard may help.

I will post up some results if it works

Aaron
All of my dualsports/adventure bikes I had did have same need for replacement every 10-15000 km. It simply wears out, e.g. chain does touch it. The only way around it is installing swingarm axle that it lines with front sprocket axle.
Damping material may help, but chain still will slap against guard. If you replace guard with for examply DYI softer - it will wear out quicker. If it is indeed UHMW PE - I am happy, as it is has better abrasion resistance than mild steel and almost as slippery as teflon. Worked 5 times longer than stock on my DR. So - damping material between is probably only thing that can be done.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #1382
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
+1

Out of dozens of bikes this is the first I've had a centerstand on. Well, maybe since the Honda 350-Four I had in the 70's. For a bike of this size with tubed tires I also think it's a must-have. It makes servicing it so much easier for both on the road as well as at home in the garage. I also like the versatility of a centerstand for loading or unloading touring/camping gear.

We use the enduro stand on the dualsports, and while it would work for the Tiger it's at the upper limit of capacity for one. Still do-able though, I tested it a couple of times with the Versys and it was fine. The tiger is about 25lbs more than the Kawi.

http://www.endurostar.com/
Here's a SE up on one. Once a bike is on the side stand it's nothing to lean into it and get enough lift to slip the stand under a convenient prop spot, front or rear. I have my endurostar stand marked for the proper height for the Husky so there's no fiddling around with it in the field to get it set right.
BTW, endurostar comes from one of our fellow inmates.

+1 on the EnduroStar stand...works great on my DRZ or the Tiger and it's very solidly constructed...zero concerns about strength to support a Tiger. With all the effort people go to trying to shave a few pounds off a bike, adding a center stand certainly seems to be going the wrong way.

I do have a lift for doing service when at home, so no need there.
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #1383
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
+1 on the EnduroStar stand...works great on my DRZ or the Tiger and it's very solidly constructed...zero concerns about strength to support a Tiger. With all the effort people go to trying to shave a few pounds off a bike, adding a center stand certainly seems to be going the wrong way.

I do have a lift for doing service when at home, so no need there.
Just "lurking with intent to loiter" at lunch and look what I found....
Thanks TerraUnFirma and Browneye for the "props"
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #1384
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
Just "lurking with intent to loiter" at lunch and look what I found....
Thanks TerraUnFirma and Browneye for the "props"

Hey Steve! No problem.
An ENDUROSTAR stand is ALWAYS in my backpack.

BTW, they also work great to keep the front or rear wheel off the ground WITH a centerstand if you need to repair a flat in the field. For the $35 or so it's a no-brainer.
ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #1385
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Hey Steve! No problem.
An ENDUROSTAR stand is ALWAYS in my backpack.

BTW, they also work great to keep the front or rear wheel off the ground WITH a centerstand if you need to repair a flat in the field. For the $35 or so it's a no-brainer.
ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
That is exactly right, not to mention that when Somebody Else gets a flat with no center stand you dont have to hold their bike!

But here is what I was wondering, this may be 205 for a lot of your but are these 800XC Tigers in this video?
Very impressive riding and bikes! I've been thinking about a bigger "adventure bike" lately and have been considering the 950-990 KTM, the Yamaha Super Tenere (the World Crosser with the white with the red speed block strips really gets my attention) but maybe I have overlooked the Triumph, the 3 cylinder engine just seemed to be big and bulky but if they can do this (i know these are pro riders) I guess I might need a test ride.

Cagiva Gran Canyon

sTE610vE screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 05:43 PM
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #1386
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,176
Quote:
That is exactly right, not to mention that we Somebody Else gets a flat with not center stand you dont have to hold their bike!

But here is what I was wondering, this may be 205 for a lot of your but are these 800XC Tigers in this video?
Very impressive riding and bikes! I've been thinking about a bigger "adventure bike" lately and have been considering the 950-990 KTM, the Yamaha Super Tenere (the World Crosser with the white with the red speed block strips really gets my attention) but maybe I have overlooked the Triumph, the 3 cylinder engine just seemed to be big and bulky but if they can do this (i know these are pro riders) I guess I might need a test ride.
Don't be fooled by stunt riders in a publicity stunt video. That said, those are XC's and they will do that stuff if you want to push one that hard and are that aggressive. Most of us are pretty mild riders. Well, except for AVMECH, he's a maniac. Check out his report thread in his sig.

If you haven't found this thread it's worth a read: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827146
Lots of mention of the bikes you're looking at and why we didn't buy them, why we chose the Tiger.

The triple motor is one of the top assets of this bike. It is absoulutely brilliant. Power and smoothness, buttery shifting, it's a segment killer.

Just don't ride one unless you're serious because you won't be able to stand it 'till you have on in the garage.

Makes for an outstanding stablemate to the Husky.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #1387
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,668
They are indeed Tiger XC's.

Remember...Once you go Triple baby

I don't think they are bigger or bulkier than the other ADV big bikes. Not perfect for sure but no bike is.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #1388
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
That is exactly right, not to mention that we Somebody Else gets a flat with not center stand you dont have to hold their bike!

Yep they are Tigers. Highly modified but still Tigers. The bike is quite capable. I ride mine in places like this. Sometimes it get tired and wants to take a nap. I have found it very, read VERY, inexpensive to repair. Not bad for a fully loaded ADV bike.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #1389
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,367
Quote:
I've read numerous complaints on it, no fixes.

Being a senior service technician I'm not satisfied simply replacing it at 12k being it doesn't fix the core problem of faulty design. After looking at the swingarm assy, I can see where the plastic/rubber chain gaurd on the under side has some play and it seems the noise is amplified when the chain hits the guard and then in turn hits the swingarm. I'm wondering if removing the guard and placing some sort of dampener/isolating material between the swingarm and the guard may help.

I will post up some results if it works

Aaron
As a mechanical engineering designer, I'd say it's not a fault of bad design. As bluesman points out below, it's the same on almost every bike. The length of chain along with long travel suspension doesn't help matters because it's going to need more slack and, therefore, have more likelyhood of slapping the chain guides.
If your experiment with packing works, fine. I'd say it's a non issue and not worth the effort. And, you don't HAVE TO replace them at 12K. That's just Triumph making some bucks out of us at service time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
All of my dualsports/adventure bikes I had did have same need for replacement every 10-15000 km. It simply wears out, e.g. chain does touch it. The only way around it is installing swingarm axle that it lines with front sprocket axle.
Damping material may help, but chain still will slap against guard. If you replace guard with for examply DYI softer - it will wear out quicker. If it is indeed UHMW PE - I am happy, as it is has better abrasion resistance than mild steel and almost as slippery as teflon. Worked 5 times longer than stock on my DR. So - damping material between is probably only thing that can be done.
P.S. I thought "Senior Service" were cigarettes.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #1390
Dubl-A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
As a mechanical engineering designer, I'd say it's not a fault of bad design. As bluesman points out below, it's the same on almost every bike. The length of chain along with long travel suspension doesn't help matters because it's going to need more slack and, therefore, have more likelyhood of slapping the chain guides.
If your experiment with packing works, fine. I'd say it's a non issue and not worth the effort. And, you don't HAVE TO replace them at 12K. That's just Triumph making some bucks out of us at service time.

P.S. I thought "Senior Service" were cigarettes.

I've owned numerous dirt bike/ Enduro's from 1978 up to this 2012, never had one make this noise. Ohh well

I don't smoke, & don't get the reference. Must be an old fart joke
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #1391
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
I've owned numerous dirt bike/ Enduro's from 1978 up to this 2012, never had one make this noise. Ohh well

I don't smoke, & don't get the reference. Must be an old fart joke
If you've owned bikes from 1978 you can't be that far behind me in the old fart stakes.
FYI ; Senior Service....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_Service_(cigarette)
http://www.zigsam.at/B_SeniorService.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDoc6HeScNg
Maybe you didn't get them over there. Classic unfiltered cancer sticks along with Woodbines.
I don't smoke either but I designed cigarette packaging machinery.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #1392
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
I am getting impression that Tiger attracts mechanical engineers.

Rant on.
Yes Sir, 6 years in technological university (same department and building where Sikorsky and Korolev studied), full degree in machines design and technology....several years work and then wasted it all because it did not pay well. Now I have to fight with ignorant people and those horrible things called computers.
This s...s. My father had 26 patents (real ones, that worked in oil industry) by same age. Shame.
Rant over.

Back to chain slapping. I checked on my Tiger - I doubt damping between slider and swingarm will help.
Not that I bothered by noise - after riding 800 cc air cooled thumper
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #1393
Dubl-A
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
If you've owned bikes from 1978 you can't be that far behind me in the old fart stakes.
FYI ; Senior Service....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_Service_(cigarette)
http://www.zigsam.at/B_SeniorService.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDoc6HeScNg
Maybe you didn't get them over there. Classic unfiltered cancer sticks along with Woodbines.
I don't smoke either but I designed cigarette packaging machinery.
You fired that research off QUICK for a grumpy ol man!!

I've got a few gray hairs myself but born in the 80's
Old 09-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #1394
Dubl-A
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
I am getting impression that Tiger attracts mechanical engineers.

Rant on.
Yes Sir, 6 years in technological university (same department and building where Sikorsky and Korolev studied), full degree in machines design and technology....several years work and then wasted it all because it did not pay well. Now I have to fight with ignorant people and those horrible things called computers.
This s...s. My father had 26 patents (real ones, that worked in oil industry) by same age. Shame.
Rant over.

Back to chain slapping. I checked on my Tiger - I doubt damping between slider and swingarm will help.
Not that I bothered by noise - after riding 800 cc air cooled thumper

Yea went to college for mechanical engineering in the 90's, now doing IT as well. What a small world.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #1395
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
You fired that research off QUICK for a grumpy ol man!!
Isn't Google wonderful?