ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #1396
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
maybe I have overlooked the Triumph, the 3 cylinder engine just seemed to be big and bulky but if they can do this (i know these are pro riders) I guess I might need a test ride.



Take a look at one, in person. The 675/800 triple is actually quite narrow. Triumph routed the frame tubes over the top of the engine, to help keep it slim.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #1397
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
how loose is the chain, looks excessive.

Is the center stand worth buying, its on my list of goodies unless its more trouble than its worth.
John,
The only reason I purchased the center stand was ease of changing tires and tubes. Some say its hard to get the bike on it. I am not a big guy and have no problems getting the Tiger on the stand. I will say that it can be a pita to install.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #1398
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
John,
The only reason I purchased the center stand was ease of changing tires and tubes. Some say its hard to get the bike on it. I am not a big guy and have no problems getting the Tiger on the stand. I will say that it can be a pita to install.
I found the install easy by slinging the bike off a post in the shop. The spring was a little fiddly.
I had to post on the owners thread about getting the f'cker up on there and it turned out to be technique - stand facing the front of the bike and pull back instead of lift. That did the trick. It is a tough one to get on the stand. But it's very stable once there. It takes some effort to get it down too. Maybe I'm just not used to a 475lb motorbike.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #1399
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
how loose is the chain, looks excessive.

Is the center stand worth buying, its on my list of goodies unless its more trouble than its worth.
1, the long travel suspension requires a good amount of slack in the chain. Although this one isn't as bad as what the Tiger955 needs.

2, yes, it's worth buying. It just makes maintenance, puncture repairs (wheel removal) and loading so much easier.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 40000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #1400
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,036
UniFilter Group Buy

So got my pre-filter from Pyg - thank you!

Thought I would tear into it today, check the airfilter to make sure it wasn't full of dirt already (3K miles) and check out the infamous steppermotor thingy.

Holy crap, 35 screws to remove the tank and airbox?? Check the air filter??? This thing is definitely not a dirtbike!




Airfilter was pretty clean. But I don't know how they expect you to fit the prefilter in where the snorkel was without removing the airbox cover and the support over the ABS unit. Still took me ten minutes to fit it in there. And they say 10 minutes to RR and clean it without opening the airbox. Geez, I dunno.








Decided to pull the whole airbox and check out the stepper. Lubed the linkage and the throttle works easier. Stepper motor shaft, but didn't think to remove the boot over the stepper shaft. Guess I shoulda done that.




Buttoned'er back up. At least I got to see what's in there. All the bodywork is unbelievable to just service the filter.

__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #1401
Meles meles
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Grayslake, IL
Oddometer: 170
Chain slap

Crappy hand-held video but skip to the last 5 secs and you can see the center stand is fairly stable while the chain is slapping all over the place. This was before the center stand spring upgrade too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtMbbQeDm8s

Meles meles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #1402
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Yankee Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Decatur, AL
Oddometer: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meles meles View Post
Crappy hand-held video but skip to the last 5 secs and you can see the center stand is fairly stable while the chain is slapping all over the place. This was before the center stand spring upgrade too.


Interesting, but I wouldnt expect it to be any other way. As a comment on the amount of slack, my Tiger 955 has almost 1.5 inches and IIRC the Trophy, America, and RS prior to that were about the same. Always ran them on the loose side of the spec. Never had a problem and alway had great chain life.
__________________
2005 Ural
2005 BMW F650GS
2012 Triumph Tiger 800xc
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #1403
Androu
Adventurer
 
Androu's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Take a look at one, in person. The 675/800 triple is actually quite narrow. Triumph routed the frame tubes over the top of the engine, to help keep it slim.
Man, I remember when I was young and I could eat it like that and just pick up the bike and keep riding. Now I'd be in traction for a month :)
Androu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #1404
gregdee
Motocampist
 
gregdee's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Tijeras, NM
Oddometer: 424
Maybe a Tiger for me

I took my Sprint ST in for a service the other day and I took home a Tiger 800 XC for the evening. Somehow my ride home turned into a 100 mile test ride.

I did a route that was familiar to me, one that I have ridden it on my KLR several times this summer. The route consisted of highway, super tight twisties with significant elevation change and lots of blind turns, some mellow dirt road to some more technical dirt road across an Indian Reservation and out to an interstate highway. After 5 miles on the freeway at 80 mph I was back on a dirt road with lots of rain ruts and washed out sections. I managed to haul at comfortably at about 40-60 mph along this section, about what I do on the KLR. I ended back on a nice set of twisty pavement back home just as it was getting dark.

This bike was 100% stock. Instantly I knew I would remove those stupid rubber pads from the foot pegs and I would raise the bars. I didn't like the windscreen all that much as it seemed to blast air right to my forehead - I kept checking the vents in my helmet as this was an odd sensation. But overall I was pleased by the smoothness of the ride and the pleasant reassuring manner the Tiger had off-road. The tires were OK but they did track funny on pavement. I had no issues with them off-road as they handled dirt, rocks, sand, and everything in between just fine. No mud on this ride.

My biggest let down was the lack of power - and I ride a 2002 KLR as my DS rig. So what gives? It felt like I really had to want it to get the Tiger moving. My trusty salesman at the shop said people bitch about this initially but then they just get used to it. I really want to like this bike and trade in my Sprint for one but right now I might just have to hold out for the Big Tiger to come out in April. Don't get me wrong, this bike is way nicer than my beater KLR but for 7x the price I expected more.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #1405
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
I took my Sprint ST in for a service the other day and I took home a Tiger 800 XC for the evening. Somehow my ride home turned into a 100 mile test ride.

I did a route that was familiar to me, one that I have ridden it on my KLR several times this summer. The route consisted of highway, super tight twisties with significant elevation change and lots of blind turns, some mellow dirt road to some more technical dirt road across an Indian Reservation and out to an interstate highway. After 5 miles on the freeway at 80 mph I was back on a dirt road with lots of rain ruts and washed out sections. I managed to haul at comfortably at about 40-60 mph along this section, about what I do on the KLR. I ended back on a nice set of twisty pavement back home just as it was getting dark.

This bike was 100% stock. Instantly I knew I would remove those stupid rubber pads from the foot pegs and I would raise the bars. I didn't like the windscreen all that much as it seemed to blast air right to my forehead - I kept checking the vents in my helmet as this was an odd sensation. But overall I was pleased by the smoothness of the ride and the pleasant reassuring manner the Tiger had off-road. The tires were OK but they did track funny on pavement. I had no issues with them off-road as they handled dirt, rocks, sand, and everything in between just fine. No mud on this ride.

My biggest let down was the lack of power - and I ride a 2002 KLR as my DS rig. So what gives? It felt like I really had to want it to get the Tiger moving. My trusty salesman at the shop said people bitch about this initially but then they just get used to it. I really want to like this bike and trade in my Sprint for one but right now I might just have to hold out for the Big Tiger to come out in April. Don't get me wrong, this bike is way nicer than my beater KLR but for 7x the price I expected more.
A new klr is $6500. A new tiger is not $45,000.

A lot of your complaints seems to not take into account not everyone likes the same thing i.e. windshield type, rubber vibration isolators on the footpegs (which are removable). Some people like those things as is. Others change them for little cost.

The motorcycle needs to be revved to create power. It's not thumper. Maybe your klr just suits you better.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #1406
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
I took my Sprint ST in for a service the other day and I took home a Tiger 800 XC for the evening.

My biggest let down was the lack of power - and I ride a 2002 KLR as my DS rig. So what gives? It felt like I really had to want it to get the Tiger moving. My trusty salesman at the shop said people bitch about this initially but then they just get used to it. I really want to like this bike and trade in my Sprint for one but right now I might just have to hold out for the Big Tiger to come out in April. Don't get me wrong, this bike is way nicer than my beater KLR but for 7x the price I expected more.
The 800 engine is a stroked 675. It definitely doesn't have the power characteristics of your Sprint. When I rode the 800, I just had to keep reminding myself that it's more like my Daytona 675 was than what my Tiger 1050 is. The low-end torque of the 1050 spoils those who have one and, then, get on something smaller.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #1407
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,036
Tiger Impressions.

The torque curve is very linear and flat. It's done intentionally to make it a good distance bike and more tractable offroad. Once they are broken in and you hit 6G's, it does have a noticeable boost. It's not a hot-rod bike but it can be if you choose to rev it.

I think it's brilliant. And very easy to live with.

I threw the foot peg rubbers away the day I got it. Stock screen is fine unless it's blustery out or over 80. Otherwise I find it adequate, and it gets the pressure off your chest.

It is a little over twice the price of a KLR and well worth it. 50% more than a Vstrom, and well worth it. I compare it to a GS, and it's 30% less than one of those.

It's not a liter bike. It doesn't weigh like one either
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #1408
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
I took my Sprint ST in for a service the other day and I took home a Tiger 800 XC for the evening. Somehow my ride home turned into a 100 mile test ride.

I did a route that was familiar to me, one that I have ridden it on my KLR several times this summer. The route consisted of highway, super tight twisties with significant elevation change and lots of blind turns, some mellow dirt road to some more technical dirt road across an Indian Reservation and out to an interstate highway. After 5 miles on the freeway at 80 mph I was back on a dirt road with lots of rain ruts and washed out sections. I managed to haul at comfortably at about 40-60 mph along this section, about what I do on the KLR. I ended back on a nice set of twisty pavement back home just as it was getting dark.

This bike was 100% stock. Instantly I knew I would remove those stupid rubber pads from the foot pegs and I would raise the bars. I didn't like the windscreen all that much as it seemed to blast air right to my forehead - I kept checking the vents in my helmet as this was an odd sensation. But overall I was pleased by the smoothness of the ride and the pleasant reassuring manner the Tiger had off-road. The tires were OK but they did track funny on pavement. I had no issues with them off-road as they handled dirt, rocks, sand, and everything in between just fine. No mud on this ride.

My biggest let down was the lack of power - and I ride a 2002 KLR as my DS rig. So what gives? It felt like I really had to want it to get the Tiger moving. My trusty salesman at the shop said people bitch about this initially but then they just get used to it. I really want to like this bike and trade in my Sprint for one but right now I might just have to hold out for the Big Tiger to come out in April. Don't get me wrong, this bike is way nicer than my beater KLR but for 7x the price I expected more.
I came from a Sprint as well. Just sold my '07. Ride a few other adventure bikes and you will see the power is actually great. The Tiger is the best bike I have ever owned. Bar none.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #1409
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
So got my pre-filter from Pyg - thank you!

Thought I would tear into it today, check the airfilter to make sure it wasn't full of dirt already (3K miles) and check out the infamous steppermotor thingy.

Holy crap, 35 screws to remove the tank and airbox?? Check the air filter??? This thing is definitely not a dirtbike!




Airfilter was pretty clean. But I don't know how they expect you to fit the prefilter in where the snorkel was without removing the airbox cover and the support over the ABS unit. Still took me ten minutes to fit it in there. And they say 10 minutes to RR and clean it without opening the airbox. Geez, I dunno.








Decided to pull the whole airbox and check out the stepper. Lubed the linkage and the throttle works easier. Stepper motor shaft, but didn't think to remove the boot over the stepper shaft. Guess I shoulda done that.




Buttoned'er back up. At least I got to see what's in there. All the bodywork is unbelievable to just service the filter.

Browneye,
I am installing mine tomorrow. You should have been able to just fold the flange and install it by just removing the seat?
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #1410
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,036
Unifilter install

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Browneye,
I am installing mine tomorrow. You should have been able to just fold the flange and install it by just removing the seat?

Uh...no.
Let us know how it goes for you.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014