Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #1411
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I have a non-abs and installing the pre-filter was a doddle. 6 bolts and your in. It has a flange similar to the snorkel connector and just 'clips' in. Checked it yesterday after about 1000km and its nice and snug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Uh...no.
Let us know how it goes for you.
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #1412
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 379
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
I have a non-abs and installing the pre-filter was a doddle. 6 bolts and your in. It has a flange similar to the snorkel connector and just 'clips' in. Checked it yesterday after about 1000km and its nice and snug.
Please share more....
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #1413
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
The torque curve is very linear and flat. It's done intentionally to make it a good distance bike and more tractable offroad. Once they are broken in and you hit 6G's, it does have a noticeable boost. It's not a hot-rod bike but it can be if you choose to rev it.

I think it's brilliant. And very easy to live with.

I threw the foot peg rubbers away the day I got it. Stock screen is fine unless it's blustery out or over 80. Otherwise I find it adequate, and it gets the pressure off your chest.

It is a little over twice the price of a KLR and well worth it. 50% more than a Vstrom, and well worth it. I compare it to a GS, and it's 30% less than one of those.

It's not a liter bike. It doesn't weigh like one either
I did find the Tiger very nice to ride, and confidence inspiring in the dirt. I doubt the BMW dealer would be as nice to me and let me take an F800GS for an extended test ride but looking at the numbers the F800 looks to be way under powered. So in that light I guess the Tiger kicks butt.

The windscreen, foot pegs, bars, and other such things are easy to fix. The power issue isn't.

Oh and one more thing I noticed on my test ride - I now have a hole burnt into the inside of the right leg of my riding pants. I'm guessing the exhaust is a little too exposed.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #1414
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,350
95 HP seems like plenty to me, maybe I am getting old. Never thought of the XC as underpowered.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #1415
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
I now have a hole burnt into the inside of the right leg of my riding pants. I'm guessing the exhaust is a little too exposed.
I had a small problem with that and fixed it with the SW Motech guard for the rear brake.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #1416
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
95 HP seems like plenty to me, maybe I am getting old. Never thought of the XC as underpowered.
+1

I simply cannot understand this constant need for more power

The ONLY time I have ever wanted a tad more power was when overtaking on the highway, 2-up fully loaded and even then I just knocked it down an extra cog and the torque just pulled me past.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #1417
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Okay, I will bite. That "test rider" must be a troll, maybe a BMW faithful or such???

Quote:
The torque curve is very linear and flat. It's done intentionally to make it a good distance bike and more tractable offroad. Once they are broken in and you hit 6G's, it does have a noticeable boost. It's not a hot-rod bike but it can be if you choose to rev it.

I think it's brilliant. And very easy to live with.

I threw the foot peg rubbers away the day I got it. Stock screen is fine unless it's blustery out or over 80. Otherwise I find it adequate, and it gets the pressure off your chest.

It is a little over twice the price of a KLR and well worth it. 50% more than a Vstrom, and well worth it. I compare it to a GS, and it's 30% less than one of those.

It's not a liter bike. It doesn't weigh like one either
BrownEye summed it up pretty nicely.

I as well think the Tiger is one of the best all around bikes for logging miles, out of the box, I have owned.

That list includes (but not limited to ), '98 ZX6e, '01 Sprint ST 955i, '03 FJR1300R, '05 Tiger 955i, '08 KLR650, '01 VFR 800.

I really liked the ergo's of the KLR, worked well with my bum knee, but I needed a Sargent seat, double bubble screen and HWY pegs. The Tiger 800XC, with the seat in the upper position, stock, bone stock, more comfortable.

As far as power, considering I only really needed a few more ponies out of the KLR, well, I am extremely happy. Yup, I am falling for the troll, but the Tiger 800XC could use a bit more tractor power down low in first, but otherwise, I swear it is faster than the Sprint ST I had, sadly it was lost to a rock slide in 2002

The Tiger 800 XC, STOCK, has better wind handling for my wide chest than the stock FJR1300, and any other bike except for the Sprint ST with a double bubble.

Other than maybe a lower first, and taller 6th, I believe Triumph could not have done better for a mass production bike. No matter what the thing produced, there are going to be tradeoffs. And for me, serious kudos to Triumph.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #1418
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
We have already had one bike bashing thread disguised as a comparison discussion.
You need to change your name to F800GS Defender. Seriously. Do you just troll around looking for post that mention 800GS?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #1419
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
For those installing the pre-filter......

Quote:
Uh...no.
Let us know how it goes for you.
You do not have to remove the tank! I just ran home on my lunch break and did it in under 30 minutes.
I removed 8 bolts and was in like Flynn.
Remove the seats
Remove the side rub guards that protect the upper frame ( has "800" stamped on it)
Remove the rider seat bracket that is over the ABS unit
Remove the single bolt holding in the snorkel
Remove the snorkel and rubber boot
Install the per-filter starting with the bottom right corner
Work your way around inserting the flange of the pre filter to the bottom left corner
Start again with the tope right corner to the top left corner
Install bolts in reverse, including the bolt that use to hold the snorkel in
Your done!
Easy peasy.

Browneye,
A least your are ready for the valve check!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #1420
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
You need to change your name to F800GS Defender. Seriously. Do you just troll around looking for post that mention 800GS?
I wonder if it's the same guy who does the same when 'Tenere' is mentioned

Crap...he'll be along shortly
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #1421
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Yeah, same thoughts, but thanks for saying it. I was going to comment on the generally dour attitude. Like, why?

It didn't appear that anyone was bashing the beamer anyway. Really, like who cares? Right?
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #1422
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, but not all that advertised HP gets to the rear wheel. On a Dyno, the BMW makes about 73 hp and the Triumph 81. Your results may very.

In a 1/4 mile, they are within hundredths of a second of one another. 3 magazine test indicate Triumph the winner and 1 has the BMW ahead. Both finish at about 108mp. Thats possible because the BMW makes more torque up to near its redline.

The Triumph has shorter overall gearing than the BMW. On a F800, 5,000 rpm is 80 mph indicated.

I am happy that you like your bike. They are Adventure bikes that are just different. Those differences will show up in the extremes of pavement or dirt riding. The average rider won't engage in either.

Enjoy your bike. We have already had one bike bashing thread disguised as a comparison discussion.
Then why do you keep coming back?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #1423
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
You do not have to remove the tank! I just ran home on my lunch break and did it in under 30 minutes.
I removed 8 bolts and was in like Flynn.
Remove the seats
Remove the side rub guards that protect the upper frame ( has "800" stamped on it)
Remove the rider seat bracket that is over the ABS unit
Remove the single bolt holding in the snorkel
Remove the snorkel and rubber boot
Install the per-filter starting with the bottom right corner
Work your way around inserting the flange of the pre filter to the bottom left corner
Start again with the tope right corner to the top left corner
Install bolts in reverse, including the bolt that use to hold the snorkel in
Your done!
Easy peasy.

Browneye,
A least your are ready for the valve check!

Good on ya mate!! I will definitely be trying it that way when it needs cleaning. Wow, latex gloves are gonna be a necessity, eh?

I had the extra help of a hand on the inside of the airbox. Even then, I clipped in the top of the prefilter flange and couldn't get the bottom in. Had to pull it out and put the bottom right corrner in first before it would go it. Once I got it all in there then I just took the whole airbox out to get to the top of the motor, stepper, etc. Sheesh, what a dumbass. It went back together easy then.

Then I fiddled with the spring thingy, wondering how it was supposed to sit. Guess it just keeps the sock from collapsing, especially around the abs tubing.

Then I was thinking about pulling the battery and re-routing the main fuse link. Still gotta do that I guess.

I also really kinda wanted to see what it all looked like in there. Valve check and plugs do look easy once you get all the stuff off the top of the motor. Kinda like a modern car - you look under tha hood and can't see anything that resemmbles an engine 'till you remove all the covers.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #1424
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Good on ya mate!! I will definitely be trying it that way when it needs cleaning. Wow, latex gloves are gonna be a necessity, eh?

I had the extra help of a hand on the inside of the airbox. Even then, I clipped in the top of the prefilter flange and couldn't get the bottom in. Had to pull it out and put the bottom right corrner in first before it would go it. Once I got it all in there then I just took the whole airbox out to get to the top of the motor, stepper, etc. Sheesh, what a dumbass. It went back together easy then.

Then I fiddled with the spring thingy, wondering how it was supposed to sit. Guess it just keeps the sock from collapsing, especially around the abs tubing.

Then I was thinking about pulling the battery and re-routing the main fuse link. Still gotta do that I guess.

I also really kinda wanted to see what it all looked like in there. Valve check and plugs do look easy once you get all the stuff off the top of the motor. Kinda like a modern car - you look under tha hood and can't see anything that resemmbles an engine 'till you remove all the covers.
Yeah, eventually I want to do the same as you. I want to get to the stepper motor for sure. Just didn't have time this go around. I also plan on checking my own valves. I have a decent local shop but if anyone other than the owner is wrenching then its meh.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #1425
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I wonder if it's the same guy who does the same when 'Tenere' is mentioned

Crap...he'll be along shortly
Yeah, they will want to challenge you to a drag race with pillions.